Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

haveblue posted:

It's a good title because the juxtaposition of "fractured" and "whole" is portentous enough to sound significant but it's also a butthole joke.

It's the like movie title. First glance, innocent. Second. WHOA NELLY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I've been replaying Mass Effect and noticed a neat little detail. One of the bits of flavor on the elcor species is that they use body language and scent to convey emotion when speaking with each other; to humans it just sounds like they speak in monotone, so whenever you talk to them they preface every sentence with an explanation of the emotion they mean to convey. It's basically their species gimmick. However, there's a bit early on where you can overhear a background conversation between two elcor, and sure enough, they don't do any of that when speaking to each other.

It's a minor thing, but I like when they're consistent with the lore even on tiny details.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Lord Hydronium posted:

I've been replaying Mass Effect and noticed a neat little detail. One of the bits of flavor on the elcor species is that they use body language and scent to convey emotion when speaking with each other; to humans it just sounds like they speak in monotone, so whenever you talk to them they preface every sentence with an explanation of the emotion they mean to convey. It's basically their species gimmick. However, there's a bit early on where you can overhear a background conversation between two elcor, and sure enough, they don't do any of that when speaking to each other.

It's a minor thing, but I like when they're consistent with the lore even on tiny details.

Andromeda could have been saved if they went all-Elcor. Main character, party, supporting cast, villains, all of it all Elcor all the time. As it is they axed every non-biped in the lore and got their own series cancelled.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The Hanar shortage in ME2 and 3 is an absolute outrage. Floating evangelical jellyfish not accessible enough, EA?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Still, probably for the best that the concept art for elcor husks in ME3 didn't translate into the game. They apparently would have been enemies in the vehicle sections, and were scrapped along with the vehicle.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Sometimes I still smile when I remember the incidental dialogue in ME1 or 2 about a Shakespeare play with a cast of Elcors.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samuringa posted:

Sometimes I still smile when I remember the incidental dialogue in ME1 or 2 about a Shakespeare play with a cast of Elcors.

You can find audio snippets of being advertised on the Citadel in ME2, and it's exactly like you expect it would be :allears:.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
There's also the elcor action movie where the star prefaces all of his lines with "badassfully."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can find audio snippets of being advertised on the Citadel in ME2, and it's exactly like you expect it would be :allears:.

In the Citadel on ME3, you can hear snippets of Blasto the Jellyfish Sting being advertised. And Javik's scene in the Citadel DLC is something to behold.

Also in ME3 you can find out that the all-Elcor play of Hamlet was such an amazing success they're doing King Lear next. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cythereal posted:

In the Citadel on ME3, you can hear snippets of Blasto the Jellyfish Sting being advertised. And Javik's scene in the Citadel DLC is something to behold.

Also in ME3 you can find out that the all-Elcor play of Hamlet was such an amazing success they're doing King Lear next. :v:

I love that they actually roll with people in-game wanting to see an all-Elcor Shakespeare production for the same reason the joke was made to the player, rather than trying to portray it as something taken seriously in-universe.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Related to that: Because I am a masochist I picked up the latest tie-in novel for Andromeda (Annihilation) and it is something to behold. One of the main characters is an elcor on the quarian/elcor/volus/etc. Ark who is perennially angry that he wasn't cast in Hamlet despite several callbacks. He spends a good page and a half in the book poo poo-talking the guy who got the lead, and it's explicitly stated that he's going to Andromeda solely to be the new face of entertainment there. He's taking his ball and going home, since he isn't appreciated here.

His primary profession? Pediatric ear/nose/throat doc.

The entire book is like this. It's a cast of comically low-tier nobodies trying to solve a mystery about why the quarian ark's falling apart, 30 years before everyone's even scheduled to wake up.

If this is any indication of what the quarian ark DLC was going to be like, EA made a huge mistake axing it.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The entire story of Andromeda’s development is mostly the dev team trying their best to desperately put together a game while the leadership dicked around and refused to make decisions on stuff. The script wasn’t even written until like 18 months before release which is why they ended up outsourcing so many of the cutscenes to have the animations just procedurally generated. They didn’t have time to animate most of the game.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Internet Wizard posted:

The entire story of Andromeda’s development is mostly the dev team trying their best to desperately put together a game while the leadership dicked around and refused to make decisions on stuff. The script wasn’t even written until like 18 months before release which is why they ended up outsourcing so many of the cutscenes to have the animations just procedurally generated. They didn’t have time to animate most of the game.

So all the dumb eye tracking and poo poo wasn't even bioware? Someone needs a drat good kicking for that decision

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Olaf The Stout posted:

Andromeda could have been saved if they went all-Elcor. Main character, party, supporting cast, villains, all of it all Elcor all the time. As it is they axed every non-biped in the lore and got their own series cancelled.

It should have been all Krogan. Paragon options are headbutts, Renegade options are headbutts followed by shotgun blasts. Instead of that lovely little rover you get the big-rear end truck thing in ME3.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

RBA Starblade posted:

It should have been all Krogan. Paragon options are headbutts, Renegade options are headbutts followed by shotgun blasts. Instead of that lovely little rover you get the big-rear end truck thing in ME3.

It'd be interesting to see a sci-fi setting without any humans at all, that DOESN'T dip into furry poo poo.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

PubicMice posted:

It'd be interesting to see a sci-fi setting without any humans at all, that DOESN'T dip into furry poo poo.

Depending on your definition, "furry poo poo" covers anything even remotely humanoid, so I guess you're stuck with aliens that are actually alien. Sentient molluscs and so on.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Depending on your definition, "furry poo poo" covers anything even remotely humanoid, so I guess you're stuck with aliens that are actually alien. Sentient molluscs and so on.

This but I actually want that.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That would actually be really cool, but mostly I meant "but not like Star Fox".

e: Oh yeah, Star Control! That's a really interesting universe, it's too bad it's in such a licensing mire.

PubicMice has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Nov 27, 2018

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Mass Effect Star Control 2

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Leal posted:

Goons acting like they're above fart and butthole jokes is more hilarious then fart and butthole jokes.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Another Mass Effect one: I just realized that one of the Citadel elevator music tracks is a Muzak version of the main theme.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

God of War 4: At the peak of the mountain, you meet a guy trapped in a tree, who tells you he has been enchanted so that no weapon can cut his body free.

In the background, Atreus pulls out his knife and tries to cut at the tree a couple of times.

Just a cute little detail, not called out in anyway. This is such a well crafted story, so far.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
As a definite video game gorehound, I have to give some serious props for RDR2's assorted systems of violence. The game can get really brutal at times, but it doesn't do it constantly, meaning those rare moments where someone gets completely ripped to shreds have so much more impact.

Two that stood out. One: Shotguns loving melt people. :stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgDvAp5LHy8

Two: Lethal shots, as in "you get a red X hit marker" aren't always instantly lethal. :stonkhat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zio1iFDK_Zg

I really, really, really hope there's a Manhunt 3 in the works after this. :commissar:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The fact that people can bleed out from certain wounds is pretty insane. I remember shooting somebody in the neck and he didn't die immediately but bled out on the floor.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just finished a boss fight in Fractured But Whole, around two thirds (maybe) of the way through the game that was infuriating, but for good reason. See, you're fighting Cartman...sort of. And he is just as annoying to fight as you might think he is, because his refusal to play by the 'rules', and make up his own, bleed into the combat mechanics. So, he'll hit you, and after the fact say 'oh wait also that makes you sick.' then suddenly you're hit with a status effect. Or you'll attack him and he'll just say 'nuh uh that doesn't count' and, annoyingly, the damage is removed. Or he'll do the 'I'm rubber you're glue' and reflect your attack.

As a battle it was challenging and annoying, but I just love whenever this game leans hard into the reality that these are just a bunch of kids making poo poo up for their powers and having some sort of implicit agreement to play by the 'rules'.

The answer of why the rest of the town also get affected by these 'powers' is probably just because the entire town of South Park is a pile of idiots.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Morpheus posted:

I just finished a boss fight in Fractured But Whole, around two thirds (maybe) of the way through the game that was infuriating, but for good reason. See, you're fighting Cartman...sort of. And he is just as annoying to fight as you might think he is, because his refusal to play by the 'rules', and make up his own, bleed into the combat mechanics. So, he'll hit you, and after the fact say 'oh wait also that makes you sick.' then suddenly you're hit with a status effect. Or you'll attack him and he'll just say 'nuh uh that doesn't count' and, annoyingly, the damage is removed. Or he'll do the 'I'm rubber you're glue' and reflect your attack.

As a battle it was challenging and annoying, but I just love whenever this game leans hard into the reality that these are just a bunch of kids making poo poo up for their powers and having some sort of implicit agreement to play by the 'rules'.

The answer of why the rest of the town also get affected by these 'powers' is probably just because the entire town of South Park is a pile of idiots.

Yeah, I’ve been replaying it myself and I love how it really leans into the fact they’re kids. It’s like the episode where they try to return the LotR tape on steroids.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Frustrating though is not being able to adjust the in game resolution. For what looks to be south park animation it makes my computer chug, but I can't get it off 1920x1080.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morpheus posted:

The problem with the end reveal of Fractured But Whole is it just tanks any interest you'll have in the story because it's Mitch Connor behind it all, and therefore you know full-well the rest of the story will be Cartman just beating the one joke into the ground of "Nuh-uh, it's not me you guys!! :rolleyes" and undercutting anything else going on so there's no potential for a decent conclusion. Which is a real letdown after Stick of Truth escalated to a point you could figure out what the final boss was going to be as a culmination of everything so far, right before it happened. And it was gloriously wrong. :allears:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

All I remember of Stick of Truth is the nuclear bomb going off.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
So has South Park grown out of its ironic racism thing (I know they apparently did an about-face on global warming) by now or what cause the idea of an Obsidian-made comedy-RPG doesn't sound too bad but I'm pretty sure I got enough of people quoting Cartman's hilarious slurs back in middle school

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Casey Finnigan posted:

So has South Park grown out of its ironic racism thing (I know they apparently did an about-face on global warming) by now or what cause the idea of an Obsidian-made comedy-RPG doesn't sound too bad but I'm pretty sure I got enough of people quoting Cartman's hilarious slurs back in middle school

I mean I don't think Cartman calls anyone a jew or anything in this one (at least not yet). People quoting a genuine monster like Cartman should probably be ignored anyway.

There is a stereotypical black pimp character as part of a side quest that I thought was pretty offensive, but really the biggest racists in the game are the cops that lock up most of the african-american community of South Park in order to feed them to Shub-Niggurath, who only eats dark meat and who dies when you feed it too many white people. It's weird.

I haven't seen the show in nearly a decade, so I have no idea what the show itself is like.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I mean I don't think Cartman calls anyone a jew or anything in this one (at least not yet). People quoting a genuine monster like Cartman should probably be ignored anyway.

There is a stereotypical black pimp character as part of a side quest that I thought was pretty offensive, but really the biggest racists in the game are the cops that lock up most of the african-american community of South Park in order to feed them to Shub-Niggurath, who only eats dark meat and who dies when you feed it too many white people. It's weird.

I haven't seen the show in nearly a decade, so I have no idea what the show itself is like.

it did lead to one of the game's better gags where the racist police chief is all "oh i bet you'll say H.P. Lovecraft was racist too," resulting in a hushed and increasingly awkward conversation between him and one of his deputies

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

it did lead to one of the game's better gags where the racist police chief is all "oh i bet you'll say H.P. Lovecraft was racist too," resulting in a hushed and increasingly awkward conversation between him and one of his deputies

Haha yeah I liked that bit.

"What like how racist?"
"Really really?"

Like, there are some actually good chunks of writing in the game between the fart jokes.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Stick of Truth was the far funnier game (nothing beats NES Canada), but Fractured But Whole had it's moments, and the combat was far better.

Crab People taking over the cell phone store had me in stitches.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Casey Finnigan posted:

it hasn't and both south park games are full of the exact lovely humor you expect, it's just that a lot of people apparently have a really bizarre blind spot about South Park and what they're willing to overlook

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

flatluigi posted:

it hasn't and both south park games are full of the exact lovely humor you expect, it's just that a lot of people apparently have a really bizarre blind spot about South Park and what they're willing to overlook

Or maybe, just maybe, they’re actually kinda funny.

I know, it’s a difficult concept to grasp, but it’s possible.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I remember being kind of impressed and depressed by how many of the gags in Stick of Truth I recognized from when I watched the show in college. I graduated in 06.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dewgy posted:

Or maybe, just maybe, they’re actually kinda funny.

I know, it’s a difficult concept to grasp, but it’s possible.

if you want you can explain to me why cartman's superhero name is a hilarious gag and not just a lazy use of an outdated racial slur

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

flatluigi posted:

if you want you can explain to me why cartman's superhero name is a hilarious gag and not just a lazy use of an outdated racial slur

Cartman’s a complete piece of poo poo and it’s funny because everyone hates him for it. Depicting racism as part of a joke isn’t endorsing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Stick of Truth was the far funnier game (nothing beats NES Canada), but Fractured But Whole had it's moments, and the combat was far better.

Crab People taking over the cell phone store had me in stitches.

8 bit Canada had me laughing for a good while the first time I saw it.