Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This is definitely one of those games I say I'll wait a day or two to get other peoples first impression and see if it's horribly broke, but in reality I'm just gonna buy it on launch day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Popete posted:

This is definitely one of those games I say I'll wait a day or two to get other peoples first impression and see if it's horribly broke, but in reality I'm just gonna buy it on launch day.

I guess with Steam refunds the way they are these days there's not actually any risk...

*edit* gently caress ok I just bought it

GuardianOfAsgaard fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 28, 2018

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Steam refunds are a pretty good motivator, but games like the X series also take awhile to dive deep into them and it can easily be over 2 hours before you realize it's horribly broken.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

I said come in! posted:

X:2 and X:3 were fundamentally good games though, they just had a lot of bugs. X: Rebirth at it's core is a terrible game that isn't fun and that can't be fixed without making what is basically releasing this Friday.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I want it to be bad, just trying to curb people's enthusiasm. I loved X2 n 3, really hoping this one fills the space void left by elite (no replayability) and SC (not out).

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So the only reason I'm even a little bit hopeful for x4 being decent at launch is that Xrebirth ended up being a decent game at the end and with X4 being mostly the same engine there theoretically shouldn't be a whole lot to gently caress up.

On the other hand...

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

So what's with the Vitruvian Man on all the spaceships? Is that the default player faction logo?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I seem to remember it being in Rebirth possibly as a corp or faction logo. Might be wrong though.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Anticheese posted:

So what's with the Vitruvian Man on all the spaceships? Is that the default player faction logo?
I want to say it was the default player logo back in X2, but fuuuuuck that was a long time ago, my CD long gone and the starforce copy protection wouldn't work in Windows 10 anyhow.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Vitruvian Boron

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I hope this game is good.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I will buy the game and white knight it on every single web site of the internet unless the authors make it fun or playable casually then I will flame war the authors on Twitter and leave a negative review after four hundred hours.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I hope this game is good.

:same:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

limaCAT posted:

I will buy the game and white knight it on every single web site of the internet unless the authors make it fun or playable casually then I will flame war the authors on Twitter and leave a negative review after four hundred hours.

Preach it

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I'm genuinely excited to read this thread on the 30th and then wait a few months to actually play the game.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I mean I've seen people literally bitch about others asking if you can play on a controller which made me confused. Flight stuff often feels alright on controller and it's fairly easy to reach your keyboard.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
This thread on the 30th:

This game runs like poo poo on my 1080TI and i7 8700k

Well this game runs a buttery 144 fps on my ti calculator

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Some people tie their identity to their video game toy so hard that if you don't use their version of what is the best they get very angry.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Gorelab posted:

I mean I've seen people literally bitch about others asking if you can play on a controller which made me confused. Flight stuff often feels alright on controller and it's fairly easy to reach your keyboard.

My guess is that people are salty because the easiest thing to point to that completely hosed Rebirth from the word 'go' was that the series' extremely complex controls were very poorly mashed into compliance with controllers in the hopes of a console release that never panned out.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I'm really looking forward to watching a stream of this game so someone else can figure out how the hell I should go about actually getting started, then I'll pick it up. Every time I tried to play X3 or its expansions I felt like I was never making progress or understanding anything.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Pre launch live stream about 20 min from this post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfMtvtxD5Ik

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gorelab posted:

The X games have a lot of menu fiddling to do. I wouldn't recommend using a controller unless you like switching to mouse a lot.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

The X games have a lot of menu fiddling to do. I wouldn't recommend using a controller unless you like switching to mouse a lot.

I played E:D like that until I got a HOTAS it wasn't too bad. Sometimes it feels nice just because even with a HOTAS I occasionally need to push weird as poo poo to do stuff.

Orv
May 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

On some level I've come to prefer a controller even over a full on joystick just because of the ease of use between the grip and throwing it down to mess with mouse/keyboard so I'm not that bothered by it.

Freelancer mouse flight has always been an anathema to good gameplay. :colbert:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Orv posted:

On some level I've come to prefer a controller even over a full on joystick just because of the ease of use between the grip and throwing it down to mess with mouse/keyboard so I'm not that bothered by it.

Yeah this is why I switched from X52 to Xbox pad in Elite.

I played X3AP with a controller and it played just fine, rebirth did too.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Playing purely with a controller? Yeah, you're nuts. But just using a controller to fly/fight, and using keyboard/mouse while on AP/in stations, not a problem. You all have laps, right?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Orv posted:

This is also what I would suggest, technically you can play X with a HOTAS but you need a really big desk because you definitely need a keyboard at the same time.

Slickdrac posted:

Playing purely with a controller? Yeah, you're nuts. But just using a controller to fly/fight, and using keyboard/mouse while on AP/in stations, not a problem. You all have laps, right?

I actually find it really mentally jarring to swap between controller and M&K, can't do it.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Orv posted:

Whoa, look at THIS wrong guy

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Mokinokaro posted:

Rodina is an in development indie attempt at it.

There's also Rogue System which is going for insane hardcore simulation so it needs a pretty heavily modelled ship.

It's something I've always wanted as well. Even if it's an assigned player ship give me the feeling of owning my own Millennium Falcon or Bebop.

Basically I want Privateer but with some more immersive and rpg elements.

Catching up with the thread but just a heads up rogue system is probably dead the dev put out an update on steam and basically he was injured and hospital bills and the game have pretty much ruined him he lost his house and everything i think.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Also i played rebirth and thought it was fine with an xbone controller/mouse i mean i couldnt think of a better way they could have done it for that setup. My problem with rebirth was by the time they got it working i didnt care anymore i was sick of starting over.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Erm... that’s a bunch of random space sim stuff in the pre-roll. E:D and... dunno.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Why is this pre-stream footage from Star Citizen?

E: Oh this is ObAnt not Egosoft.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah looks like they are doing a couple of prerelease copies, surprised about that!

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Annnnnd black screen.

Uh oh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looks like he didn't have it set up right, refreshed and he's disabled chat and restarted the countdown.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The stream is gone.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Communist Bear posted:

The stream is gone.

Refresh

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Actually yeah that's just the archived version.

Depending where the main stream is it might have been dropped from youtube by restream when he restarted?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Here.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ace, cheers.

E: and it's dead again.

E: back up, weird, keeps freezing on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Fine here.