Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 401 days!
Yesterday I went snowboarding for the first time.

I fell down a lot, and then I fell less. It was great and I can’t wait to collect more interesting new bruises next weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

the bsd boys posted:

I fell down a lot, and then I fell less. It was great and I can’t wait to collect more interesting new bruises next weekend

Keep it up! It's like 3-5 days of falling down a lot, then a whole new world opens up to you. You'll just get better and it'll become more and more fun. 5 years 150 snow-days later you're blissed out in a flow-state flying through some powdery trees laughing uncontrollably and having the best time of your life.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
https://www.9news.com/mobile/articl...3cEuGfqJuu6khtg

Lol

Top Quark
Aug 2, 2010

"Going where no man has gone before."
So these fancy bastards arrived today, courtesy of forums poster highme and his proforms saving me a pile of cash. I gotta say they work very well for looking around my apartment but uhhh I guess I'm going to have to wait a while to use them on the hill because welp I guess it's raining now.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

copper_mountain.txt

(I am, of course, glad that no one was hurt and hope they get everything sorted).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dangerllama posted:

copper_mountain.txt

(I am, of course, glad that no one was hurt and hope they get everything sorted).

They seemed to brush it off as it isn't a problem. Some debris from construction got under the grip or something.

Still, not a good look.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

That's one of the worst made pieces of TV news I've seen a long time. They must have been extremely bored and decided to attempt to be creative?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm not saying it's exactly like this but

In the wake of the latest speculation surrounding the attraction — rumors that riders had gone airborne during a test run — a spokesperson for the Kansas City, Kan., waterpark on Friday denied any such occurrence. “I can absolutely say that no test riders have gone airborne on the slide, because no test riders have gone down the slide,” said Layne Pitcher, chuckling.]

Designer of waterslide that decapitated 10-year-old boy taken into custody

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sierras lookin' good with a nice follow up to the ~2ft we got last week, planning to hit Mammoth this weekend

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

:stare:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

http://grantland.com/features/the-wet-stuff-verruckt-waterslide-schlitterbahn/ is a good (pre-accident) read on where all if it started out.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That video is chilling, knowing there was like zero oversight (Kansas has since gone more blue, politically-speaking) and that their solution was to just build a cage around it, and knowing that that video is basically the last thing that kid saw before the cage ripped his head off. And then the irony that he was the son of a Kansas state senator that contributed to the lack oversight. It would feel like justice if it wasn't the saddest, most avoidable death in a long time.

/sad derail

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

On a happier note, 14 inches of snow at Magic Mountain;

https://twitter.com/SkiMagicVT/status/1067426121610862592

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mammoth too

55mph gusts no bueno, however

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

kiimo posted:

Mammoth too

55mph gusts no bueno, however

I've been in Mammoth for storms with well over 100 mph gusts

It snowed nearly 4 feet in a single night

I remember a while ago, probably in 2003, they had a New Years storm that dumped 100" in 2 days

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Top Quark posted:

So these fancy bastards arrived today, courtesy of forums poster highme and his proforms saving me a pile of cash. I gotta say they work very well for looking around my apartment but uhhh I guess I'm going to have to wait a while to use them on the hill because welp I guess it's raining now.

Is this site not displaying correctly for me or something or is Smith now charging $145 for LENSES?

I could swear when I got my IOX a few years ago they were like $30-40... I should have bought more apparently

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

gusts to 55 aren't that bad by Mammoth standards and at this time of year they can help plaster the wet new snow to all the rocks

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sorry when I say 55 mph winds no bueno I'm very specifically thinking about riding up Chair 23 freezing my nuts off.

Top Quark
Aug 2, 2010

"Going where no man has gone before."

Math You posted:

Is this site not displaying correctly for me or something or is Smith now charging $145 for LENSES?

I could swear when I got my IOX a few years ago they were like $30-40... I should have bought more apparently

It's not broken, Smith really does charge a shitload for their lenses. Mind you that's the most expensive variant I linked. Also it was like 50% off with proforms which is probably the only way I'd ever buy replacement lenses because yeah gently caress paying full price for those.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kiimo posted:

Sorry when I say 55 mph winds no bueno I'm very specifically thinking about riding up Chair 23 freezing my nuts off.

It’s great fun when they stop it. Somehow it’s so much worse when you’re not moving

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

kiimo posted:

i hear there's a safety bar on 23 now!

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Kalman posted:

http://grantland.com/features/the-wet-stuff-verruckt-waterslide-schlitterbahn/ is a good (pre-accident) read on where all if it started out.

This was good. I'm definitely going to Schlitterbanh New Braunfels next time I'm in Texas.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 401 days!

Mongoose posted:

Keep it up! It's like 3-5 days of falling down a lot, then a whole new world opens up to you. You'll just get better and it'll become more and more fun. 5 years 150 snow-days later you're blissed out in a flow-state flying through some powdery trees laughing uncontrollably and having the best time of your life.

The first time I strung together a few turns I realized I felt the same way about it as I did when I started to ride a motorcycle. So uh RIP to my free time every weekend I guess

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kalman posted:

This is crazy.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Fixed my bases and they look great. hopefully everything holds together well.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I can’t tell whether I love or hate everyone in the waterslide article

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

the bsd boys posted:

Welcome to the learning curve! Make fists when you fall and wear a helmet, and then one day you will hit some powder and begin to float and be changed forever.

Oh and don’t get in the habit of dragging your uphill hand(s) on the ground or you will end up with wrecked shoulders like me.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 401 days!
Way ahead of you! Most of my gear this first season is budget or borrowed, but I did buy a nice Giro helmet, and it's probably already saved me from a nasty headache

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Moot . posted:

Oh and don’t get in the habit of dragging your uphill hand(s) on the ground or you will end up with wrecked shoulders like me.
lmao good to know I'm not the only one

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

But it looked cool when Craig Kelly did it!

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Got my first day of the year at Loon yesterday, and it was a good one, chock full of pow. Now I need new legs.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mammoth 12-18 expected today, 17-23 tomorrow, snow in the forecast the next two days after that. They already have a 40” base on the top. Winter has definitely arrived.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Varg posted:

lmao good to know I'm not the only one

Hand drags on big toe side turns! I am not sure what else can be better, especially in powder!

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Took this on my way home from work. I’ve been in Oklahoma for six days so this (and the snow we’re about to get) is, like, extra good.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Hand drags on big toe side turns! I am not sure what else can be better, especially in powder!

Knuckle drags on skis. I maintain that is the best non-powder related feeling on snow.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Bit the bullet and rented skis for my local days this year. Almost worked my way up to the recommended length for my height and weight! :v:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Fifty Three posted:

Bit the bullet and rented skis for my local days this year. Almost worked my way up to the recommended length for my height and weight! :v:

I am pretty sure you actually can't get correctly sized rental skis. My buddy was on 167 last weekend and is 6'5" 190lbs...

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spwrozek posted:

I am pretty sure you actually can't get correctly sized rental skis. My buddy was on 167 last weekend and is 6'5" 190lbs...

When I had to get rentals for a powder day in Kimberley a couple years back the guy tried to give me a pair of 148s. I laughed, went "nope" and he kept handing me incrementally longer skis despite me asking every time for something in the 170 range. I just kept repeating no until on like the 7th pair he handed me some 168s.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

HookShot posted:

Knuckle drags on skis. I maintain that is the best non-powder related feeling on snow.

Huuuuuge fast tele carves on hero snow are right up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Disinterested posted:

What are you looking for

Cheap, slalom skis probably, waisted much less than my 100 regular all mountain skis

(edited for clarity)

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 29, 2018