Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I've recently upgraded my rig so a 2080 is sitting inside it. My current monitor is this guy who's only capable of a measly, a wimpy, a pathetic 60hz. Disgusting! Horrible! Okay okay it's done me proud but I need a fancy pants high refresh rate monitor to get the most out of the grunt this card has, right? Only problem is I don't really know what I'm looking for. I'm in the UK and ideally I don't want to go above £250 - £300, I'm not sure whether this is a reasonable ask though.

Max res on this monitor is 1920 x 1200 which I'm pretty comfortable with but I'm not too concerned if the new one is widescreen or not. I don't need it much larger than that and I'm not going to run a multimonitor setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You want a 1440p 144hz monitor. Acer Xb271hu.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Songbearer posted:

I've recently upgraded my rig so a 2080 is sitting inside it. My current monitor is this guy who's only capable of a measly, a wimpy, a pathetic 60hz. Disgusting! Horrible! Okay okay it's done me proud but I need a fancy pants high refresh rate monitor to get the most out of the grunt this card has, right? Only problem is I don't really know what I'm looking for. I'm in the UK and ideally I don't want to go above £250 - £300, I'm not sure whether this is a reasonable ask though.

Max res on this monitor is 1920 x 1200 which I'm pretty comfortable with but I'm not too concerned if the new one is widescreen or not. I don't need it much larger than that and I'm not going to run a multimonitor setup.

To make that GPU stretch its legs you need 1440p and over 100Hz. It's complete overkill for 1080p. Unfortunately, to get that, you need to shell out at least £400 (the Samsung LC27HG70 was on sale for around £400 recently - it's a VA panel, but seems pretty good, and at that price it's a great deal). It's hard to find monitors of that spec that are smaller than 27", too. You can get high refresh rate 1080p for maybe around £300, but that's almost exclusively with TN (godawful colors) panels.

Ultimately, what you really want if you have the budget for it is 1440p 144Hz with G-sync, which usually means the aforementioned Acer XB271HU, and that's over £500.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

So I just got a notice from FedEx about the delivery of my monitor where they said they left the package at my front door... of my apartment complex. That seems a bit crazy to leave a package like that out where I live... Almost none of the delivery services leave that there since most have a key to the foyer of the apartment or just refuse to deliver if they can't get inside... What am I suppose to do if the package ends up being stolen by someone? Is this Newegg's fault/FedEx's fault???

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

So I just got a notice from FedEx about the delivery of my monitor where they said they left the package at my front door... of my apartment complex. That seems a bit crazy to leave a package like that out where I live... Almost none of the delivery services leave that there since most have a key to the foyer of the apartment or just refuse to deliver if they can't get inside... What am I suppose to do if the package ends up being stolen by someone? Is this Newegg's fault/FedEx's fault???

I've had amazon once leave a package worth 6x the monthly rent of my apartment just leaning against my apartment door. I hope it's there! If it isn't then yes it's FedEx's fault.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

Hopefully they didn't also ship it in the manufacturer's box so anyone can see what it is.

astral fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 27, 2018

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

VelociBacon posted:

I've had amazon once leave a package worth 6x the monthly rent of my apartment just leaning against my apartment door. I hope it's there! If it isn't then yes it's FedEx's fault.

I deal with FedEx for work shipping real expensive stuff ($10,000+). It’s the shipper’s problem. They’re out the money if they don’t require a signature and hell, drivers fake those all the time. If the shipper didn’t have insurance on the package, they’re out the money, not you.

I’ve also got experience with NewEgg using UPS to deliver a CPU and motherboard. They “left it at my house’s door” saying it was “signed for by man,” despite nobody being there. NewEgg sent me replacements with surprisingly little hassle, though UPS required a signature for my address from then on.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Songbearer posted:

It's crazy to spend that much money on a GPU that you'll probably keep a few years and then that little on a monitor that you'll probably keep for a decade. Get an xb271hu (bmiprz, not abmiprz), pg279q, ag271qg, or xg2703-gs. In the US they all keep going on deep discounts monthly or so at this point, so even with the UK price inflation you should be able to find a decent price sometime. Also keep your u2412m and use it as a second monitor. It's one of those things where you will never go back once you have a secondary monitor.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

K8.0 posted:

It's crazy to spend that much money on a GPU that you'll probably keep a few years and then that little on a monitor that you'll probably keep for a decade. Get an xb271hu (bmiprz, not abmiprz), pg279q, ag271qg, or xg2703-gs. In the US they all keep going on deep discounts monthly or so at this point, so even with the UK price inflation you should be able to find a decent price sometime. Also keep your u2412m and use it as a second monitor. It's one of those things where you will never go back once you have a secondary monitor.

This entire post is good and right, especially the bit about dual monitors. It’s such a big quality of life improvement for literally no additional cost other than space considerations.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I just got a new XB271HU and I'm trying to mount it to my wall but the mounting point on the monitor is in an alcove and the screws are too short for the mount to fit. Am I missing something or do I really need to go out and buy screws? And if so, what length screw?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

MONITOR UPDATE: Monitor is safe. Was a bit worried when I didn't see the monitor anywhere in the lobby but it ended up being because my super put the monitor in front of my door. I don't think the FedEx guy left it outside since it's been raining and the box isn't wet. So I'm hopeful they didn't really leave it at the front door.

astral posted:

Hopefully they didn't also ship it in the manufacturer's box so anyone can see what it is.

It was just the Acer box. Pretty sure it still would have gotten stolen regardless if it was outside. Big and heavy? Has to be worth something.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 28, 2018

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

tehinternet posted:

This entire post is good and right, especially the bit about dual monitors. It’s such a big quality of life improvement for literally no additional cost other than space considerations.

Yeah, fair enough. I got my new rig as a birthday present but the new monitor is on me, so I guess I'll be saving for a while until I can afford it v:v:v

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Is this a good DisplayPort Cord for an Acer Predator XB271HU?

https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-...play+port+cable

or will the DisplayPort Cord that comes with the XB271HU be good enough? I can't find any spec information on the cord that comes with it.

SabinBlitz fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 28, 2018

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

So I hooked up my XB271HU.. I can't find the hex tool for my arm so its hanging pretty low but it's so nice.

Another thing I noticed, people were saying Overwatch doesn't do 21:9 but while tweaking my settings I found out it does display 21:9 so if you're playing overwatch on a UW you should take a look there.

Pretty happy with this, 0 dead pixels and bezels are super thin. Loving this so far.

SabinBlitz posted:

or will the DisplayPort Cord that comes with the XB271HU be good enough? I can't find any spec information on the cord that comes with it.

I would say just use the cord that comes with it unless you see issues.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SabinBlitz posted:

If a monitor comes with a cord you can generally be confident it's good enough. It's the cheap third-party ones you really need to be careful with.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SabinBlitz posted:

The cable that comes with the display will be good enough, but you always want to have a second cable ready as a troubleshooting tool (to see if any issues are cable-based before you start thinking about RMAing the GPU or monitor). I checked DP's official list, but they haven't updated it in a long time. This one stood out as coming from a *known* maker and having the required stats: https://www.amazon.com/SIIG-6-6ft-DisplayPort-1-4-Cable/dp/B07F2S2H1F

Don't forget to add the ~$1 coupon~ offer.

And here's Monoprice's DP1.4 cable (be sure to snag the 6ft): https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024601&p_id=31179&seq=1&format=2

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 28, 2018

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Thank you everyone.

Sauce I'm glad your monitor came with a happy ending. =)

Big, that's solid advice and I'll make sure to grab an extra for a backup. I also have plenty of HDMI cords as extra, extra backup. =p

ActionExpress
Dec 28, 2002

Strong Sauce posted:

So I hooked up my XB271HU.. I can't find the hex tool for my arm so its hanging pretty low but it's so nice.

Another thing I noticed, people were saying Overwatch doesn't do 21:9 but while tweaking my settings I found out it does display 21:9 so if you're playing overwatch on a UW you should take a look there.

Pretty happy with this, 0 dead pixels and bezels are super thin. Loving this so far.

I had a 1080p 144hz TN before I got the XB271HU and I was upset at myself for not upgrading sooner. Its a great upgrade to any computer that can push the pixels.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Strong Sauce posted:

Grats on the perfect monitor for the next long time.

Overwatch (like some other games) actually supports 21:9 but doesn't give you, like, bonus FoV. Technically you're seeing less, but whatever.

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006
Ebay are doing a 15% off deal for the UK today!

I want to pick up a secondary monitor for movies, browsing and general Windows stuff.
Are there any recommended 4k, 28-34inch, IPS monitors? Would like a minimum of 60hz, and not bothered about freesync/gsync.
It's to partner with a 1440p 144hz gaming monitor.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

franchise1 posted:

Ebay are doing a 15% off deal for the UK today!

I want to pick up a secondary monitor for movies, browsing and general Windows stuff.
Are there any recommended 4k, 28-34inch, IPS monitors? Would like a minimum of 60hz, and not bothered about freesync/gsync.
It's to partner with a 1440p 144hz gaming monitor.

LG27UK650

e: no wait hold on, 28-32"? LG32UD99

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 28, 2018

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

K8.0 posted:

Got a list like this for 24" monitors? Budget and space is a bit tight for me, plus I already have a 24" monitor and I get really weird about having two different sized monitors. If not, I'm just gonna get another Dell Ultrasharp or watch one of these for a super big sale, but it'll have to go pretty low if I'm going to buy one.

Where do they go on sale, typically? Amazon? Newegg? The vendor directly?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Renegret posted:

Got a list like this for 24" monitors? Budget and space is a bit tight for me, plus I already have a 24" monitor and I get really weird about having two different sized monitors. If not, I'm just gonna get another Dell Ultrasharp or watch one of these for a super big sale, but it'll have to go pretty low if I'm going to buy one.

Where do they go on sale, typically? Amazon? Newegg? The vendor directly?

There aren’t any IPS gaming monitors at 24”, sorry.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

VulgarandStupid posted:

There aren’t any IPS gaming monitors at 24”, sorry.

That blows, but thank you anyway!

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Got my Acer XB271HU yesterday and can confirm that it owns. Now to upgrade the rest of my pc

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I got the MSI Optix yesterday and I am very happy with it...although basically anything would have been an upgrade to my 2012 Samsung, heh.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

Wengy posted:

Got my Acer XB271HU yesterday and can confirm that it owns. Now to upgrade the rest of my pc

Agreed - my 23” TN monitor looks like hell as a second monitor though. Time to find a replacement...

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

Mr. Neutron posted:

I got the MSI Optix yesterday and I am very happy with it...although basically anything would have been an upgrade to my 2012 Samsung, heh.

How’s MSI?

I took a gamble ordering one of their monitors this past weekend. I have no experience with MSI and I’m hoping I didn’t just make a huge mistake.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Uff da. I finally put a little effort into troubleshooting my once-primary monitor and it's deffo got a dying inverter. Asus wants $130 to fix it for me, which is more than I paid for it nine years ago, and it's about $30-40 for a new inverter board. I'm debating whether I should try fixing it, just deal and bide my time waiting for a XB271HU or similar before I put it in a closet forever or gift it to a friend with more gumption than me, or come up with some other random project for it.

I do hope one of the monitor models I want goes on sale for a better rate than I saw over the weekend soon.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
My AW3418DW arrived today. What a large box. Magnificent box, really. So bigly.

EDIT: I haven't taken it out yet, but I am pretty sure the monitor is also pretty large.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Mitsune posted:

How’s MSI?

I took a gamble ordering one of their monitors this past weekend. I have no experience with MSI and I’m hoping I didn’t just make a huge mistake.

I like it but I am no expert or anything. Compared to the old monitor the more vibrant colors and of course the bigger size and resolution are the most obvious but stuff like response time and ghosting and poo poo I honestly can't tell. Even the 144hz I barely could differentiate from 60.

Oh and it comes with a free copy of AC: Odyssey, too.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

FedEx is killing me. I live like 2 miles from their delivery hub and my 34” Alienware monitor has been there for 3 days now. Every day it says it’s out for delivery and then at 6:00 or 6:30 the status changes to “Delivery Exception, no delivery attempted, rescheduled for next day”. Meanwhile I refuse to boot up my new computer with my 2008 NEC 23” monitor.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I bought the AW3418DW at $200 off at dell.ca, cheapest I've ever seen seen it so got it before they changed their minds.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

FedEx is killing me. I live like 2 miles from their delivery hub and my 34” Alienware monitor has been there for 3 days now. Every day it says it’s out for delivery and then at 6:00 or 6:30 the status changes to “Delivery Exception, no delivery attempted, rescheduled for next day”. Meanwhile I refuse to boot up my new computer with my 2008 NEC 23” monitor.

Give them a call and ask them to “run a trace” on the package. Ask if a signature is required. If so, ask if you can leave a signed note in place of the signature.

They’ve probably lost it and the driver is bullshitting otherwise.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

tehinternet posted:

Give them a call and ask them to “run a trace” on the package. Ask if a signature is required. If so, ask if you can leave a signed note in place of the signature.

They’ve probably lost it and the driver is bullshitting otherwise.

Or the driver's looking at the box and going "hell naw."

(it's not *that* heavy, just cumbersome)

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

Why not go to the hub and just pick it up yourself? It's cool and all to have them deliver it, as they should, but at the end of the day wouldn't you rather have the monitor?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

There’s no signature required, I think the route I’m on just has too much poo poo to deliver in one day and I must be one of the last stops so they’re just not getting to me or something.

If it doesn’t show up today I’ll call and ask to pick it up myself.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Is there any program/tool/utility that let's you force games to run on a target monitor?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mr. Neutron posted:

Is there any program/tool/utility that let's you force games to run on a target monitor?

I thought you can force this with 3d settings from Nvidia control panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The important question is why. You can change which monitor is primary to change the default monitor stuff will launch on. This will by default move your taskbar there but you can just move it to the other monitor if you want. If you want specific things on specific monitors the answers get more complicated and app dependent.