Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
looks great, good framerate too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

With a medical leave, birthday and time off next week, I shall spend a bunch of time in spaaaaaace this weekend. I’m excited - I’ve been through Egosoft’s every release day/week/month/year jank since X2 and embrace it wholeheartedly.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Gonna play Spaceman Spiff in a Mamba next week.

Cannot wait.

Pre-order working out.

Don't do it, kids.

Don't pre-order.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Speaking of Egosoft and the 15-person headcount, it’s kinda awesome how small the company is and how ling it’s been around. Their summer stream gave a great glimpse into everything - it started with a games and stuff Berndt wrote as a high school kid in the late eighties/early nineties, managed to secure a loan with backing from family friends and neighbors (the company opening photos from like 1991 have a gloriously homely feeling to them) and chugged along for the last 20 years without either bloating or contracting. They’re based in Aachen, not far from where I live, in this super unexciting (albeit very livable) area in an extended family house. They seem to hire local, plus fans and modders and keep this low level profile.

The whole Rebirth situation could have had massive consequences, and I see how they got there - TC and Albion prelude took off on Steam due to word of mouth and a positive attitude from fans, and they made bank. Problem is, 40-something semi-successful dudes like Berdnt do get self-indulgent and kinda crazy at this age, and I think he really wanted to push for a multi-platform, AAA approach. It’s cool that they managed to break even despite the bad feedback and took all this to heart. I think Egosoft is perfect as a small dev with a limited scope, and not everyone needs to bloat into beeing EA or Bethesda.

Ok I’m done back to waiting for the game to go live thank you for your attention.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Being able to quickly get from point A to point B kind of diminishes the sense of scale for me in games like this. There has to be a happy medium for sanity sale, of course, but I can't wait to get in the game and see how it feels.
Space-highways only exist in core sectors. You'll have plenty of space-countryside to space-truck through.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's worth noting that the map screen, as I understand it, is not actually to scale.

The big hexes represent sectors, but they aren't all the same size, the space within each hex scales up and down depending on how much of it you've explored.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Stream back up from ObsidianAnt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGqChkwJXeg

He just hired an alien to fly his ship for him and travel to and from a location to perform a trade deal. He's in the shape now sitting in the back.

Sigh. Take my money.

EDIT: Ahh sorry, stream just stopped. Likely there will be a recording up shortly.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 29, 2018

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
If I like games like Escape Velocity Nova and Starsector will I like the X# series?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's kind of a 3D Starsector in my opinion. If you like slow paced (but not necessarily grindy) games with an emphasis on exploration, you'll like X. Be prepared for a few rough edges, though.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I was looking at the Humble Bundle website to see what bundles were out there, and saw X4 was a thing, with no idea it was coming out tomorrow. I guess my weekend plans are figured out now

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Don't preorder you fools

I hope this game is the glorious baby we all want it to be, but if it isn't I will happily :smug: over all of you endlessly

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

metasynthetic posted:

Don't preorder you fools

Too late

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mokotow posted:

The whole Rebirth situation could have had massive consequences, and I see how they got there - TC and Albion prelude took off on Steam due to word of mouth and a positive attitude from fans, and they made bank. Problem is, 40-something semi-successful dudes like Berdnt do get self-indulgent and kinda crazy at this age, and I think he really wanted to push for a multi-platform, AAA approach. It’s cool that they managed to break even despite the bad feedback and took all this to heart. I think Egosoft is perfect as a small dev with a limited scope, and not everyone needs to bloat into beeing EA or Bethesda.

Albion Prelude was a half step that was intended to take us to X3:Albion after the Hub was destroyed in Terran Conflict. At some point they started to make a Xbox game that was the basis of X:Rebirth, got halfway through and decided to lever it into the X Franchise - I'd suggest that they were running out of money, but I don't know for sure. That came out a few weeks after release; within the first week someone had found the symbols and variables in the decompiled code. On _release_ you couldn't target objects and instead could only lock what was ahead of you. That made people suspicious.

I suspect more premature expansion; CCP did much the same thing in trying to find their second product. I'm happy that they stuck it out and understood why people didn't like Rebirth; they could have mea culpa'd and doubled down on the worst bits of Rebirth, but they appear to have figured out at least a happy medium. Dunno, could have hidden jank, but the stream actually surprised cynical old me.

OwlFancier posted:

It's worth noting that the map screen, as I understand it, is not actually to scale.

The big hexes represent sectors, but they aren't all the same size, the space within each hex scales up and down depending on how much of it you've explored.

I love the hex appeal.

metasynthetic posted:

I hope this game is the glorious baby we all want it to be, but if it isn't I will happily :smug: over all of you endlessly

My body is ready for your derision. Do your worst.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

metasynthetic posted:

Don't preorder you fools

While I can at least put myself down on the "not pre-ordered" list realistically I'm going to buy this game over the weekend and keep it unless it turns out to be completely unplayable. Even if it isn't all that good on release just having a game similar enough to X3 but with new content will push me over the edge to get it to support the developers.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

So far in streams it looks plenty playable and rather polished.

Also seeing the other ships docking and undocking at 1:21:20 on ObsidianAnt's new video is really neat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am prepared to eat the grenade for the rest of youse.

Also frankly as long as it runs I'm probably gonna have fun messing about with it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Owlfancier do you have something I can subscribe to because you show up in the threads of all the games I like.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

*shrug* I guess there's probably a type of person that likes extremely slow paced, quite detail oriented, but graphically appealing and streamlined games.

If you want a random recommendation I'd say Avorion on steam is a neat take on the X-type games.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

metasynthetic posted:

Don't preorder you fools

No. X1, X2, X3 were amazing and some of the most memorable space games I played - since Freespace.

So I'm going to throw money at Egosoft like an idiot because frankly I'm glad that they survived after making the horrible turd of Rebirth to make another X game.

Really, there is no other game in the genre they make. Even if X4 is basically X3 with a facelift, I'm happy to play it.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Communist Bear posted:

Stream back up from ObsidianAnt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGqChkwJXeg

He just hired an alien to fly his ship for him and travel to and from a location to perform a trade deal. He's in the shape now sitting in the back.

Sigh. Take my money.

The recording's up, and drat. Sorry, past-self, but I preordered the poo poo out of this after the streams. This looks like X3 polished to a modernish sheen, and I can't wait to shove my head all the way up its rear end for weeks.

This really, really doesn't seem like another Rebirth.

ed: And today's recording is way smoother. His framerate issues seem to be gone after unfucking his streaming software.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 29, 2018

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Even if it somehow ends up worse than it looks, Egosoft doesn't abandon games. Even Rebirth is playable now. I doubt I'll regret my choice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah seriously even if it's buggy they've done extensive post release support for every game they've ever made, so it's not really a concern I don't think.

Same boat as above, they've made some of my favourite games and nobody else even approaches what they achieve. I can spare some cash to keep them in business.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Another stream from ObsidianAnt two hours from this post.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Honestly at this point to make me regret my purchase X4 will have to be completely different from the streams I watched yesterday.

Or require a hardware upgrade which I am unable to afford but it doesn't seem like I need to.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm not gonna preorder but I may be buying it buy Friday night.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Broke my own no preorder rule after watching OAs awful stream, can't wait!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So... do we have a release time?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No, they said that the steam countdown probably isn't accurate either because they just had to give steam a time. It is supposed to be out tomorrow but we don't have a time yet.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Please be a midnight release.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Popete posted:

Please be a midnight release.

In germany? That'd be in 6 hours.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

In germany? That'd be in 6 hours.

That would be delightful.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think they also said it wasn't going to be a midnight release.

e:

quote:

We haven't given an exact time yet, and given the number of variables involved, we are unlikely to do so. It certainly won't be at midnight UTC or anything like that.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

I think 10AM-12PM PST is the usual release time. That means playing it after I get home from work.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

As OwlFancier said they sad that midnight release is certainly not planned and that they themselves don’t know. As there is no physical release, they can stretch dev time all the way to the end, but they made it sound like afternoon CET is feasible.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Oh wow, they gave a key to Cohh, that's some good exposure, 5700 people already tuned in.

https://www.twitch.tv/cohhcarnage

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

big nipples big life posted:

Oh wow, they gave a key to Cohh, that's some good exposure, 5700 people already tuned in.

https://www.twitch.tv/cohhcarnage
Darn, there is no Youtube stream and I can't view Twitch at work.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Does this game promise to be a little quicker than X3 because I tried really hard to like that game but the grinding was just a little too harsh for me. Not to mention the excitement of getting a new ship but then realizing how painfully long it takes to get anywhere.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

buglord posted:

Does this game promise to be a little quicker than X3 because I tried really hard to like that game but the grinding was just a little too harsh for me. Not to mention the excitement of getting a new ship but then realizing how painfully long it takes to get anywhere.

They've introduced a travel drive mechanic whereby your ship can accelerate to vast speeds out of combat. There's also an in-combat booster option that runs off your shield power. They've also used the highway system from Rebirth which basically gives you space lanes which accelerate you on a line through a sector really fast. So they've definitely thought about the problem of getting around the place.

They have, however, taken out the jumpdrive, which I think is good because it means you do have to think about where you are, but there are still quick ways to get through sectors.

As to the grind, I can't speak to that but it looks like it's still very slow paced. One benefit though is that they've made stations fully modular now so you should be able to just add on to your station instead of needing to build whole new ones at great expense.

Also update on release time:

quote:

I still don't have an exact time, but I will reiterate that it will definitely not be at midnight UTC. In fact I'm pretty confident that it will not be before 14:00 UTC either, because trying to releasing anything before the guys at Steam have had breakfast would make them very grumpy! Remember to make the relevant timezone calculations when you work out what this means for you.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Anecdotally on the streams, it seems like some of the missions pay out pretty well and that it'll be a bit easier to get started, but for sure travel times are really improved. There is:

- SATA/time compression like there was in x3
- "Travel Mode" that seems to boost speed 10x, to zoom around system
- Highways running between many systems that improve travel speed ~5x on top of travel mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lol 12k watching cohh, good exposure there.