Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cohh is sooooo happy about the GUI options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Has anyone heard or seen gamepads in use with X4?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Steam page says it has full controller support, devs said the same. They also said it will ship with a default X52 profile.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

big nipples big life posted:

Steam page says it has full controller support, devs said the same. They also said it will ship with a default X52 profile.

Thanks! I just saw a gamepad mode option in that Twitch guys stream. Fantastic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think if the launch goes well I'm gonna have to rename the thread X4 Foundations - What If Star Citizen Was A Game?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

I think if the launch goes well I'm gonna have to rename the thread X4 Foundations - What If Star Citizen Was A Game?

so uh X4 will have the inevitable consequences of piracy then?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does X4 have an auto dock?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

I said come in! posted:

There is a Mk 1 and Mk 2 docking computer. I don't know what the difference is.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

... is there a main story? did Cohh miss it by chance?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Yes, in fact, the guy who couldn't park in the first stream bought a docking computer which automates the process for you.

queeb posted:

... is there a main story? did Cohh miss it by chance?

There is at least one plot to unlock the research mechanic and the player headquarters, including a teleporter that can teleport you personally around the universe. I assume the upgraded version works further out.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

My understanding is that it was X3:TC/AP style.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I think they’ve said that there’s no one primary storyline, but rather various mission chains you can pick up from different factions.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Cohh is confused as gently caress (and so am I really), so you know it's an X game.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Inverness posted:

There is a Mk 1 and Mk 2 docking computer. I don't know what the difference is.

Based on what I've seen of the Mk1 on OA's stream and what I know about X3, I'd wager that Mk1 will automatically steer/park you as soon as you're close enough for the docking guidance to show up on your HUD, and the Mk2 will teleport you onto the dock from a distance. Purely a guess on the Mk2.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 29, 2018

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Judging by the performance issues Cohh is getting, I have a feeling my GTX 1060 6GB will not be able to handle this game.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Judging by the performance issues Cohh is getting, I have a feeling my GTX 1060 6GB will not be able to handle this game.

It seems to run much better after he restarted.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lmao that death

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Everything is fine, then he flies right in front of a friendly missile. This is just like one of my golden age space games!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's definitely an X game if you die because you flew into a loving missile in the middle of a melee :v:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

OwlFancier posted:

It's definitely an X game if you die because you flew into a loving missile in the middle of a melee :v:

I can't wait to get murk'd because my dogfight meandered into the space between two capital ships exchanging volleys.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh nice they've kept weapon mods in I think. He just found parts for one.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

First time I heard about SETA being back. I guess it’ll be a thing to use to pass the time for production and remote trading, as the highways and travel mode cover moving around at speed fairly well.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I'm not really expecting a significant end-game threat like Litcube's, but I hope there's at least a fairly decent challenge for the massive fleet you've built up by the end of your playtime.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Yeah I'm glad for SETA to not feel required for getting around even small scale, but am also happy to still have it for when I'm building poo poo or trading.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I didn't hear any synth organ music when he was manually docking :mad:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They put it in Rebirth too as a rare thing you could put together but yeah, they seem to be intending for you not to have to time accelerate.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Since Jump Drives are out and you probably can't use SETA when you're not piloting, I hope capital ships have a decent travel speed.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Pylons posted:

Since Jump Drives are out and you probably can't use SETA when you're not piloting, I hope capital ships have a decent travel speed.
I do remember the devs talking about not being sure if they wanted to limit SETA to piloting.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I have preordered this game because I like supporting devs who make games that I enjoy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pylons posted:

In Rebirth they were actually faster than small ships because they could boost forever :v:

In either case I think the travel drive gives you massive speed boost whatever you're flying.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Someone mentioned wanting custom ship logos, and I think that's actually possible. Cohh has his logo on his ship.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah you drop them into a folder I think, there's a tab for it on the menu.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah you drop them into a folder I think, there's a tab for it on the menu.

Finally, I can use the Rastafarian flag for my dank spaceweed empire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Leal posted:

Finally, I can use the Rastafarian flag for my dank spaceweed empire.

They may, alas, be greyscale only.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:saddowns:

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Everybody talks about how much fun building a fiddly space trading empire is in these games....but I feel like nobody ever talks about the combat or exploration. Is that because it's really bad, or is it just not the main reason most people play?

A more direct question: will this game be any fun if I have no interest in space spreadsheets and just want to fly around dogfighting, discovering cool new poo poo, and buying bigger ships/better weapons?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty hosed up I cannot play this game right now.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

friendly 2 da void posted:

Everybody talks about how much fun building a fiddly space trading empire is in these games....but nobody ever talks about the combat or exploration.

Will this game be any fun if I have no interest in space spreadsheets and just want to fly around dogfighting, discovering cool new poo poo, and buying bigger ships/better weapons?

I build that trade empire to build a war fleet of destroyers and carriers loaded with AI fighters that I can hop into at any moment. But you could also just earn bounty money and buy bigger poo poo.

The fighter combat is "good" I think, fairly standard, but moving the big ships around letting the AI turrets broadside poo poo was a lot of pondery fun.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Everybody talks about how much fun building a fiddly space trading empire is in these games....but I feel like nobody ever talks about the combat or exploration. Is that because it's really bad, or is it just not the main reason most people play?

A more direct question: will this game be any fun if I have no interest in space spreadsheets and just want to fly around dogfighting, discovering cool new poo poo, and buying bigger ships/better weapons?

It's more that the empire building is the unique thing about the X games and it also feeds into the combat element.

The combat in this looks more developed than X3 and X3 wasn't bad, but it was very arcadey and not very deep especially.

The big thing is that you scale up, so eventually you're fielding fleets of warships to knock out whole sectors of ships. If it's anything like Rebirth then playing as a small ship is probably a lot more practical than it was in X3, because X3 you would get instagibbed if you tried to fight a lot of things in a small fighter. Rebirth made you much more survivable and also let you mount guns capable of destroying large ships.

I've seen on the streams that you can put like, rocket pods on your ships so I would expect that yes you can absolutely play a fighter ace and still take on big prey in this.

Rebirth for all its faults I think definitely succeeded in letting you take on a wider variety of enemies than X3 did, and the new ship handling and variety in what you can fly I think makes this look really interesting from a combat perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Combat is pretty passable, especially since most space games don't really fulfill the fighter squadron itch. Exploration seems to be more of a thing than in X3, too.