Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

ynohtna posted:

congrats on the arrival of new columns child13...child99

Cognos Analytics by IBM has a CMOBJECT table that hold reports and like sixty CMOBJPROPS# tables that hold various properties. Each table has a different set of columns. No table is named something useful. I had to select a list of all the column names in the database to discover that the "Hidden" flag is in CMOBJPROPS55. No idea why they didn't make a single table and use it as a key->value store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

that reminds me, the other day i wanted to do some bulk editing of data in a third party app.

eventually settled on export xml > edit it > import xml again which worked well except all the object properties were like <property id="{uuid}">value</property> with the uuid<->property name mapping only defined in the xml header so i had to parse&build that in my script. whyyy :pwn:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
a customer is really mad that one of our products didn’t warn them of a violation of business constraints that was occurring when they had the device unplugged, turned off, and put on a shelf.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
i've seen a table with a TEXT column containing a string with comma separated ID's for related records. the application would load the record, deserialize the id's into a list and do a select from the related table where id in(:psyduck:). i guess someone thought having a many-to-many join table with a lot of rows would be slow or something, but come on, at that point you might as well give up and use mongodb.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

floatman posted:

It's amazing that a user of the name "AggressivlyStupid" can identify that it is problematic, yet the "code craftsmanship culture" here apparently is all okay with it.

is it too bleak to say the programmer-facing parts of "culture fit" are "lies we tell ourselves" + "stockholm syndrome"

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

a customer is really mad that one of our products didn’t warn them of a violation of business constraints that was occurring when they had the device unplugged, turned off, and put on a shelf.

seems like it's your fault for not equipping their device with a secondary power source, a broken power button and sirens

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Sagacity posted:

code:
select * from children c where c.id in (select p.child1, p.child2, p.child3, p.child4, p.child5 from parent p where p.id = parent_id)
~declarative~

i dont have a hosed up pretend pivot table to test it on but if the db doesn't support this i think you can just do

code:
select * from children c 
where c.id in (
	select p.child1 as child from parent p where p.id = parent_id
	union all
	select p.child2 as child from parent p where p.id = parent_id
	union all
	select p.child3 as child from parent p where p.id = parent_id
	union all
	select p.child12 as child from parent p where p.id = parent_id
)
since there's just a dozen columns its easier to just do this instead of figuring out what incantation your specific db needs to do an unpivot

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

what can be happening if a java app on openjdk 8 fails to allocate heap space without maxpermsize argument (that is deprecated in 8)

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
For that 12 column join I would just create a view that does the union all into a single column like it should be and then just do all my queries on that view forever. Until someday seven years later that becomes a performance problem and it takes some sucker hours to figure out :getin:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what can be happening if a java app on openjdk 8 fails to allocate heap space without maxpermsize argument (that is deprecated in 8)

Use xmX or whatever, that controls the heap size and is not deprecated

E: as for what is happening, its that there is a default limit and you're blowing it

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

unplugged, turned off, and put on a shelf.

ha just like my career

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gonadic io posted:

Use xmX or whatever, that controls the heap size and is not deprecated

E: as for what is happening, its that there is a default limit and you're blowing it

yeah we use xms for init and xmx for limit for the heap space, whereas maxpermsize limits the permanent generation size. what i am confused with is that this argument was deprecated with java 8 release, yet launching application without it, on java 8, triggers failure. am i missing something dumb, like java 7 app running in java 7 even on java 8 runtime environment?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

CPColin posted:

Cognos Analytics by IBM has a CMOBJECT table that hold reports and like sixty CMOBJPROPS# tables that hold various properties. Each table has a different set of columns. No table is named something useful. I had to select a list of all the column names in the database to discover that the "Hidden" flag is in CMOBJPROPS55. No idea why they didn't make a single table and use it as a key->value store.

very early in my career i helped support some add-on apps to an ancient ERP system called BPCS. because it was originally an as/400 system the table and column names were all something like 6 characters or fewer and completely inscrutable, so you spent basically all day looking poo poo up in the data dictionary so you could figure out what poo poo like

SELECT INFDT, SLG12 FROM DEFB1 WHERE LOGTR4 = @var

meant and it scared me away from ERP systems forever

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
for me, pivot and unpivot are like right joins. it'll take me forever to figure out and i'll be damned if i ever write them

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
also why tf doesn't excel come with a sql query feature built in?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

DELETE CASCADE posted:

For that 12 column join I would just create a view that does the union all into a single column like it should be and then just do all my queries on that view forever. Until someday seven years later that becomes a performance problem and it takes some sucker hours to figure out :getin:

why not make it a view dependent on a view dependent on even more views?

a viewchain if you will

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah we use xms for init and xmx for limit for the heap space, whereas maxpermsize limits the permanent generation size. what i am confused with is that this argument was deprecated with java 8 release, yet launching application without it, on java 8, triggers failure. am i missing something dumb, like java 7 app running in java 7 even on java 8 runtime environment?

maxpermsize is supposed to be ignored entirely so either the jdk has a bug that's using it or maybe check ur paths to make sure ur not running a different jvm.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Boiled Water posted:

why not make it a view dependent on a view dependent on even more views?

a viewchain if you will

i'll materialize some of the views but not others, for reasons that will be lost to time

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

maxpermsize is supposed to be ignored entirely so either the jdk has a bug that's using it or maybe check ur paths to make sure ur not running a different jvm.

ill fish around if this app (its not small) doesnt come with an embedded jvm, cheers

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
"it made sense at the time", i'll cry when justice finally finds me and drags me to the unesco tribunal for terrible programmers to answer for my crimes. when the new york times covers it they'll write something about the banality of evil, probably.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Shaggar posted:

you look like you know a lot about ignoring maxpermsize

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Sereri posted:

seems like it's your fault for not equipping their device with a secondary power source, a broken power button and sirens

the employee who did it explicitly did so because he doesn't like the system optimizing his job (he prefers to do only 1 thing at a time, instead of letting it save the organization money and time).

but of course it's our fault.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

redleader posted:

also why tf doesn't excel come with a sql query feature built in?

because not even Microsoft is willing to drat that many of us poor fuckers to hell dealing with the consequences

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

actually though doesn't excel use the JET db engine behind it which couldn't even do a vlookup on an unsorted list until like 2010? if it is then its the same as access in that it's kind of like sql but also not really, and it only works if you use named ranges for everything to mimic tables.

plus I guess excel is a static sheet that you're effectively inserting into so though taking x columns back from a vlookup instead of just one should be easy, where would you put them? do you move all following columns along and gently caress up every formula or what?

edit: it doesn't use jet I imagine that but anyway check out this horror:

quote:

However, this does not mean that a MS Jet (Red) database cannot match MS SQL Server in storage capacity. A 5 billion record MS Jet (Red) database with compression and encryption turned on requires about 1 terabyte of disk storage space, comprising hundreds of (*.mdb) files, each acting as partial table, and not as a database in itself.

ban this sick filth

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 28, 2018

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

DaTroof posted:

perms are no good and never were good and the 80s should just be forgotten.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
excel has a query engine that’s a separate addon and it’s called power query

my manager loves it, it works with way more than just sql server, and I’ve deliberately avoided learning anything else about it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

DaTroof posted:

oh I get this now. lol.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

DaTroof posted:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
while we're on the topic, i have a question that has bugged me for a while:

what the gently caress is the point of the default behavior of vlookup (i.e. the 'will pick a nearby row somehow and give you that value instead of saying not found if your item isnt found)? does that match any conceivable use case that isn't just insanely sloppy scripting?

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Corla Plankun posted:

while we're on the topic, i have a question that has bugged me for a while:

what the gently caress is the point of the default behavior of vlookup (i.e. the 'will pick a nearby row somehow and give you that value instead of saying not found if your item isnt found)? does that match any conceivable use case that isn't just insanely sloppy scripting?

I've used it to get a letter grade (including pluses and minuses) from a total score. Needs suited.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

jdk 8 calls it metaspace and a blog I read says it’s not limited in size. probably your jvm options are wrong somehow

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

jdk 8 calls it metaspace and a blog I read says it’s not limited in size. probably your jvm options are wrong somehow

there’s just -xms and -xmx however. w/e i guess

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

if you're using an oracle jdk then jvm warnings are trustworthy and you should assume the apparently maxpermsize-related behavior is a red herring. if its a distro build then who fuckin knows. distro maintainers gotta put janky patches or they feel like they aren't necessary

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

meatspace

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7K9SycELA

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Exciting headlines on hacker news today for the Go community (not to be confused with Go!)

* We have a new blog post about Go 2. This version of Go will be much more community driven, so can't wait to see what the Go community can come up with!
* The Go community came up with a new fixed precision decimal library called Fixed. It's great and has hard-coded limitations to 7 decimal places and supports numbers up to 99 billion! (Perfect for Belize as the GDP is only about US$1.8b)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Finster Dexter posted:

* The Go community came up with a new fixed precision decimal library called Fixed. It's great and has hard-coded limitations to 7 decimal places and supports numbers up to 99 billion! (Perfect for Belize as the GDP is only about US$1.8b)

More like Broken

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

Exciting headlines on hacker news today for the Go community (not to be confused with Go!)

* We have a new blog post about Go 2. This version of Go will be much more community driven, so can't wait to see what the Go community can come up with!

do you mean scale 7 or 7 significant digits

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

NYSE gave me this as a CSV line using pipe delimiters. Presumably when Microsoft systems collide as no one else is retarded enough to use quadruple quotes and more.

quote:

"CNF|""CNFinance Holdings Limited American Depositary Shares (""""ADSs"""")"," each representing twenty (20) Ordinary Shares""|8|R|0|0|0|0|0|N||GTSS|62",,,,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Finster Dexter posted:

https://twitter.com/daemon404/status/1068195329890295808