Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

DaveKap posted:

Solid, I'm looking forward to trying it out! This next week is gonna be rear end between this, Destiny 2's new DLC Stellaris MegaCorp, Smash Bros Ultimate Battle Brothers DLC, and Just Cause 4.

Had some strange words in there friend, but that's okay I went in and fixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

nessin posted:

Had some strange words in there friend, but that's okay I went in and fixed it.

I think we can all at least agree that this is a really good December for gamers.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

mods changed my name posted:

so uh X4 will have the inevitable consequences of piracy then?

Please internet, stimpire mod.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I want to play the space game and sell space weed and space fuel.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Leal posted:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

the space fuel is actually whiskey

I still remember being very confused for a long time as to why space fuel was illegal in argon territory.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Really hope the cheat menu from X3 comes back. I loved that for messing around and more quickly setting up massive trade empires.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
From the sound of things the direct fighter gameplay is improved for your fresh start action. Carriers are confirmed so commanding your murder empire from the lazyboy command chair is also in as usual.

I've already foolishly pre-ordered. But the foolishness is because of my aging 970 card and i7 CPU :v: I'm expecting the far ends of the gameplay to be nice.

My big hope is for TM/equivalent mid sized ships that can cram in a small fighter pack, and the gameplay scaling to have enough wiggle room that staying as bargain bin space ace squads for hire (Sponsored by Paranid Pete's space weed!) is legit viable as an endgame career, if you don't turn your eye towards taking over the galaxy with a swarm of carriers.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Leal posted:

I want to make the space fuel and sell it to space speakeasies to fund my space mafia.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the ability to acquire different grades of shields and weapons and engines does mean you should be able to build very expensive but high quality fighter craft as opposed to budget poo poo to pack carriers with.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think everyone with 970s can probably stop worrying quite so much, unless it's an absolute travesty of optimization you should be fine. Rebirth was a travesty at launch, when I still had a 970 and it was pretty playable after those first couple hotfixes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am on board with everyone else who wants to be space capitalists. The X series for me has always been about trading and selling illegal poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Joke's on you the weed is actually the vanguard of the revolution. It's sort of like organizing a general strike only you just distribute massive amounts of hash until everyone's too busy chooming to work.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

I forgot I didn't have that info in there. Fixed it.

Basically people have been streaming it since yesterday and it looks really drat good. A lot like X3 but with a feel more like Elite Dangerous I guess.

Not that I've played elite dangerous but it looks a lot more like that level of immersion that they're going for.

Please don't compare that dlc scheme skeleton of a game to this content fest

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

I mean the ability to acquire different grades of shields and weapons and engines does mean you should be able to build very expensive but high quality fighter craft as opposed to budget poo poo to pack carriers with.
This is a wonderful point :buddy: Though I'm still hoping for a wing's worth of fighter storage space on mid sized ships, it would also be loving amazing if you could do a Starsector style "Converted hangar" modification.

I'm still coming to grips with equipping ships being "How loving sweet do you want your space ship to be?" instead of "The last 12 systems have been sold out of shield generators holy gently caress."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 30, 2018

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

OwlFancier posted:

Joke's on you the weed is actually the vanguard of the revolution. It's sort of like organizing a general strike only you just distribute massive amounts of hash until everyone's too busy chooming to work.

put the stream VODs in the OP!

and PM the very nice mod VideoGames and he'll change the thread tag for you unless you're married to poo poo Post

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'll ask for a title/tag change after I've played it and can confirm that it's great.

If y'all want to link me any stream vods you got I will add them to the OP. Put the obsidiant ones up there but can't remember who else did them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 30, 2018

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Section Z posted:

This is a wonderful point :buddy: Though I'm still hoping for a wing's worth of fighter storage space on mid sized ships, it would also be loving amazing if you could do a Starsector style "Converted hangar" modification.

I'm still coming to grips with equipping ships being "How loving sweet do you want your space ship to be?" instead of "The last 12 systems have been sold out of shield generators holy gently caress."

i mean cohh carnage tried to upgrade his starter fighter in the starter system and couldnt since the station didnt have enough resources, and looks like it would be awhile. so that might still come up!

CBN_Shaggy
Aug 6, 2001

WHAMMIED! :(
After watching the streams and seeing 'some' moving parts on ships, even if it's not the entire back end of a boron capital ship, I am in the camp of Egosoft knows what they're doing for this release and they'll get my money tomorrow.

It seems bug-free enough compared to the usual state of a release X game, and pretty much every system looks to have gotten a really nice UX upgrade. Good impressions so far, let's hope they hold up!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Holy poo poo watched the stream and the khaak are in this!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Holy poo poo watched the stream and the khaak are in this!

Finally I can get some khaak

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Bring back Morgan Webb for a review.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm definitely thinking the PHQ is mobile in some capacity because of how it turns up in the game.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Section Z posted:

I know in X3:TC and Albion Prelude the TM class of military transport was able to carry four fighters, beyond that you're looking at specific M6/M7s as the mid-range stop-gap before the 40+ ship bays of M1s. With the new research-focused way Egosoft have described X4 though, a converted cargo bay to hangar tech does not seem beyond the realm of possibility, and failing that, it will have workshop support so mods.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

One of the Teladi freighters I saw had 2 hangars, but an internal storage of 40 S ships, so I'm fairly certain they cycle the ships into internal storage and it can hold that many.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes the pads lower down into the ship and bring up different ships as requested.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

That's rather nifty. I'd seen something to that effect mentioned but hadn't seen it in action.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Are M6s and M7s in the game? I know those were major features of TC and AP.

If so, is the M6 still the largest that can dock at normal stations and not shipyards, equipment docks, HQs, etc?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also :lol: the autopilot crashed obsidiant into something by piling through a gate at 2000m/s and corrupted his save in the process.

Some things never change :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Are M6s and M7s in the game? I know those were major features of TC and AP.

If so, is the M6 still the largest that can dock at normal stations and not shipyards, equipment docks, HQs, etc?

They got rid of the M classifications for Rebirth, you now have small, medium, large, and extra large ships. They can actually vary in size within those categories but it dictates what kind of shipyard and docking equipment they need.

In X4, M is the largest ship that docks on a pad, afaik. L and XL ships use EQ dock style piers but you can put them on any station as a module, same with S/M size pads.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I liked the M system, it was in need of a serious overhaul because carrier>battleship>heavy fighter>medium fighter>light fighter>frigate>corvette>bomber made no sense, but it categorised things nicely.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's more that there's no strict deliniation between a lot of the M classes, there's no functional difference between M6/M3/M4/M5/M8 in X3, they're just different sizes and carry different guns, but they have no special requirements.

The rebirth system makes more sense, you order ships of a certain size class from a certain size shipyard, and they dock at different size docks. That's it. Any other variation is entirely within class because it doesn't really affect how they work.

So, freighters are M size because they're markedly bigger than S size fighters and don't fit on the small pads, and this also covers your corvette analogs. Ls are big freighters and your M7-ish types. XLs are your biggest capital craft and superfreighters.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 30, 2018

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

So basically it's more like "this is a series of increasingly large modular hull types, just stick the bits you want on them and go to town". I was never able to get Rebirth's shipyards to actually give me goddamn XL ships short of using cheats so I never really familiarised myself with a lot of the larger systems or basebuilding.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are still hull types it's just that a small freighter, a corvette, and a bomber are all (probably) gonna be M size. They need a bigger landing pad to dock at and an M size shipyard to build. You still have ships with fairly strict roles (though how much Rebirth's gonna change that with custom loadouts I don't know) but they don't bother to add in classes to dictate their roles, only their logistical requirements.

The ships themselves aren't as modular as the stations but you can swap out the engine, shield, turret, and weapon types a lot. Can't change the hull layout though, unfortunately. Though I'd love that as an expansion or in X5.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Pylons posted:

One of the Teladi freighters I saw had 2 hangars, but an internal storage of 40 S ships, so I'm fairly certain they cycle the ships into internal storage and it can hold that many.

Yeah I was thinking in the scale where "I can launch 4-6 fighters" is a meaningful contribution to a fight (hopefully even if you hop into one of the fighters). Rather than "Your murder ships can launch decoys-I mean, fighter craft."

I think it is GREAT they have stuff like your example though. A wider variety of carriers in general is wonderful for the saner aspects of gameplay scope. :buddy:

I'm highly self aware that my stupid ideas are not the sort of thing it is sane to balance for in a game of this scale. Why the gently caress do I have midgame tier dreams, when I could be joining everyone else's dream of founding a mega fleet to legalize space weed by force?

Probably more practical to do that, then use my space Scrooge McDuck bank to fund hobby squads while my capital ships have out of sector slapfights.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 30, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Are hardpoints a thing in X4?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nah X games put you in the cockpit for a reason. Not at all weird to want to focus on having a gang of cool dudes you carry around with you and solve problems personally.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Leal posted:

Are hardpoints a thing in X4?

You mean swappable weapon and turret mounts? Yes. Most station parts also come with places you can mount guns if you want.

Also uh, apparently you can build stations 40km long???

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Who else in this thread has a 970 video card? I want to see how it performs with someone else as a guinea pig (though i'm still buying it anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Pylons posted:

I wonder if you can get small mining ships? I'd love to get a fleet of them on a freighter.

Yeah you can. A mining laser is a valid weapon, and you can scoop up both personal inventory items and bigger mining goods with the right small craft.

e: I hope my 960 is ok. :ohdear: