Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

Yep, I got it for Christmas in 1999. It's scratched to hell and back, though, because my first DVD player was a piece of poo poo that wrecked a ton of my discs.

Man, WB took loving forever to stop using those snapper cases. I have way too many of them on my shelves.

I’ve always kinda liked them, even though they get dinged up easy and they stick out further than normal cases. My folks had a ton of them back in the day and I still have a few Bogart flicks in that style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shout Factory is definitive enough for me. Plus I got it signed by Roddy Piper before he died. So it's extra important.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Shout Factory is definitive enough for me. Plus I got it signed by Roddy Piper before he died. So it's extra important.
Did you have to fistfight him in an alley to get him to sign it?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Xenomrph posted:

Did you have to fistfight him in an alley to get him to sign it?

How else do you get autographs?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Any fans of The Shield?

https://www.amazon.com/The-Shield-T...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

I’m holding off until the reviews are in. The last few Mill Creek TV series releases have been really poor per Blu-Ray.com’s reviews. It probably won’t be a huge issue due to The Shield being shot w DV, but I hope they do a good job.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don’t know what “4K HD restoration” means in this case. It sure looked like it was shot on digital and there’s no way they were doing 4K back then. The footage probably exists in something higher than 480i but this sounds like an upscale. I wouldn’t be surprised if it isn’t that much better than the DVDs.

Edit: I found a thread on blu-ray.com (based on a dead link to an article stating why The Shield would never come to BR) that says it was filmed on 16mm.

david_a fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 29, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

I don’t know what “4K HD restoration” means in this case. It sure looked like it was shot on digital and there’s no way they were doing 4K back then. The footage probably exists in something higher than 480i but this sounds like an upscale. I wouldn’t be surprised if it isn’t that much better than the DVDs.

Edit: I found a thread on blu-ray.com (based on a dead link to an article stating why The Shield would never come to BR) that says it was filmed on 16mm.

Apparently it was shot on 16mm. I saw an article where Shawn Ryan was pretty excited about the restoration.

https://www.slashfilm.com/the-shield-remasters/

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Back then if a show was 24fps, then it was pretty much a dead giveaway that it was shot on film. Some shows, like ST:TNG would then take those film elements and edit them on video, making HD versions require basically re-doing post for each episode, but others with more foresight, like Law and Order, did not.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheScott2K posted:

Back then if a show was 24fps, then it was pretty much a dead giveaway that it was shot on film. Some shows, like ST:TNG would then take those film elements and edit them on video, making HD versions require basically re-doing post for each episode, but others with more foresight, like Law and Order, did not.

TV that was shot in video is such a shame. I mean it makes sense at the time since most TVs were under 24 inches, so it was cheaper, and a 15" tall OTA analog image is going to hide those flaws. OF course they didn't predict that anyone would still care about WKRP nearly 40 years later when people would have essentially small cinemas in their home.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheScott2K posted:

Eh, with Law & Order it was less foresight and more that there were basically zero visual effects, so they were able to just cut the film and call it a day.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Timby posted:

Eh, with Law & Order it was less foresight and more that there were basically zero visual effects, so they were able to just cut the film and call it a day.

Cutting film is still considerably more expensive than editing on video. L&O was probably less a "foresight" thing than a "marquee network drama with a budget" thing. There was a while there in the 2000s where L&O reruns were the only thing in HD on TNT.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also remember how old Law & Order actually is, the first episodes aired in 1990. So they were shooting on film for quite a while and it makes sense to me that they just got into that groove and didn't want to make a change.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Iron Crowned posted:

TV that was shot in video is such a shame. I mean it makes sense at the time since most TVs were under 24 inches, so it was cheaper, and a 15" tall OTA analog image is going to hide those flaws. OF course they didn't predict that anyone would still care about WKRP nearly 40 years later when people would have essentially small cinemas in their home.

I think most TV shows still ended up being shot on film. I know sitcoms tend to be a network by network thing, but almost all dramas were shot on film.

Except in the UK, where if you were inside, you shot on tape, but if you step outside, you'll be on film.

Fun fact - Paramount almost switched Cheers from film to video. They wanted to save money, but the test shot on tape looked horrible that the idea was quickly shelved. This was during the first season.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Just got the new release for ‘The Thing from Another World, apparently it’s got a new scan that was commissioned for this release.

It has exactly 0 special features though, which is unfortunate.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cemetry Gator posted:

Except in the UK, where if you were inside, you shot on tape, but if you step outside, you'll be on film.

It's so jarring, Monty Python did a sketch about it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's so jarring, Monty Python did a sketch about it.

I've always noticed it on old British shows and didn't know why it happened (especially every time someone went outside on Fawlty Towers). I just figured it was something to do with going from studio lighting to natural lighting.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I kind of enjoyed seeing the handful of episodes of Twilight Zone they shot on 60's-rear end video as a cost saving method.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Just got the new release for ‘The Thing from Another World, apparently it’s got a new scan that was commissioned for this release.

It has exactly 0 special features though, which is unfortunate.

It would've been nice if they got John Carpenter in to record a commentary at least.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

I kind of enjoyed seeing the handful of episodes of Twilight Zone they shot on 60's-rear end video as a cost saving method.

I found them to be literally unwatchable. Like I watched about five minutes of the first one and then never touched any of the others shot that way when I first got the Blu-ray set.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

I found them to be literally unwatchable. Like I watched about five minutes of the first one and then never touched any of the others shot that way when I first got the Blu-ray set.

I feel like I've never seen any of those. Do you recall which episodes they were?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CPL593H posted:

I feel like I've never seen any of those. Do you recall which episodes they were?

IIRC most are in season 2:
Twenty-Two
Static
The Whole Truth
Night of the Meek
Long Distance Call
The Lateness of the Hour

I personally like The Whole Truth, Static, and Night of the Meek but they’re not essential episodes by any stretch.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Some movies for anyone who'd like them. Please post if you take one so others don't bother. These are all from the 4K UHD versions, which I think gets you the 4K digital version if you use the right services.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day: TAKEN

Sicario: Day of the Soldado: TAKEN

Step Brothers: TAKEN

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 29, 2018

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

Sir Kodiak posted:

Some movies for anyone who'd like them. Please post if you take one so others don't bother. These are all from the 4K UHD versions, which I think gets you the 4K digital version if you use the right services.

Grabbed Sicario: Day of the Soldado, thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Step Brothers gone already by time I tried to redeem, nevermind.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Took a little doing, but I got T2. Envious of whoever got Step Brothers, the best movie ever. Thanks!

e: and they didn't even post thanks, what a turd!

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 29, 2018

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino has announced a bunch of their StudioCanal licenses including Melville’s Le Doulos and the Ealing comedies Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Lavender Hill Mob, and The Man in the White Suit. Criterion previously released Le Doulos and Kind Hearts on DVD. They’ve also confirmed the horror anthology Dead of Night.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Teenage Fansub posted:

They have that weird effect where everything smears like a vaseline acid trip if the camera pans too quickly, and candles/bright light sources create an unholy black flame and bright halo.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

All Twilight Time blu-rays are discounted from now until January 2nd. Some of the discounts are only five bucks off but some movies are as low as $6.95.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

CPL593H posted:

All Twilight Time blu-rays are discounted from now until January 2nd. Some of the discounts are only five bucks off but some movies are as low as $6.95.

Twilight 1 has that scene where a Volvo C30 does an awesome j-turn

My girlfriend at the time loved that movie and I was totally zoned out for 90% of it but then that maneuver happened and I was like "wait go back"

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

$20 for The Birth of a Nation is a good deal considering they improved on the BFI edition. Subject matter aside, the 2K restoration is incredible. It's all from 4K scans of an original 1921 nitrate print with tints plus a surviving camera negative. With the original Joseph Carl Breil score. It's actually quite startling to see it in such clear quality because it makes it that much more immediate. It also has a ton of extras, including an extra two hours of Civil War films from the 1910s and documentaries on the film.

I got it for cheaper, but Kiss of Death is a great noir. Not sure if it's worth the full $20, but it is a gorgeous transfer and the film itself is worth a premium.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

$20 for The Birth of a Nation is a good deal considering they improved on the BFI edition. Subject matter aside, the 2K restoration is incredible. It's all from 4K scans of an original 1921 nitrate print with tints plus a surviving camera negative. With the original Joseph Carl Breil score. It's actually quite startling to see it in such clear quality because it makes it that much more immediate. It also has a ton of extras, including an extra two hours of Civil War films from the 1910s and documentaries on the film.

I got it for cheaper, but Kiss of Death is a great noir. Not sure if it's worth the full $20, but it is a gorgeous transfer and the film itself is worth a premium.

I feel way less fancy than you because my first reaction was "Oh poo poo, look how cheap Scream and Scream Again is!".

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I feel way less fancy than you because my first reaction was "Oh poo poo, look how cheap Scream and Scream Again is!".

Kino is releasing a remastered version with two cuts next year.

A lot of the OOP Sony titles have Indicator releases from the UK that are region free.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Kino is releasing a remastered version with two cuts next year.

A lot of the OOP Sony titles have Indicator releases from the UK that are region free.

What does the alternate version have?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

FilthyImp posted:

They have that weird effect where everything smears like a vaseline acid trip if the camera pans too quickly, and candles/bright light sources create an unholy black flame and bright halo.

Are they kineoscopes?

Basically, a lot of early TV was recorded for later use by just filming a TV and using that as your output.

They have a pretty distinct look.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

What does the alternate version have?

They didn't make a full announcement, but I think they're including both the US and European cuts.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Are they kineoscopes?

Basically, a lot of early TV was recorded for later use by just filming a TV and using that as your output.

On the remastered DVDs and the Blu-rays, they went back to the original 2" tape. They look surprisingly good. Nothing like the 35mm-based bulk of the show, obviously.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Yeah, but am I a bad person for looking at all that, and thinking, "but gently caress that movie. Just gently caress it."

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, but am I a bad person for looking at all that, and thinking, "but gently caress that movie. Just gently caress it."

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying that, but ignoring the effects it had on cinema/censorship is where it gets dicey. I own it, I own Salo, I own Chinatown - all abominable movies in different ways, but also essential in a historical context.

Can't learn from mistakes if you can't seem 'em.

E: I mean, at the very least, it's a great yardstick because if you ever see someone cheering on Birth of a Nation they're probably a Nazi and ok to punch in the face

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vagabundo posted:

It's not like anybody involved with it's production is alive to profit from it. It's a historical curiosity at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cemetry Gator posted:

That explains why I get the feeling I turned into Dark Shadows whenever one of those goes on.

But thanks for explaining why it gets that look. I learned something about even cheaper ways to get shows on air!