Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The Samsung Plus/Pro are similar and have a stylus. I'm not sure if in the newest revisions they fixed the keyboard, which is the only real disappointment (the key travel is rather deep compared to the deck so your fingertips hit the deck between keys if they're not completely centered.) Other than that it's fine, with arguably a better display (3:2.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I've had the new Pixelbook a day and I'm liking it. Not too much to say here -- it's light and nicely designed, I'm not really missing the Windows apps, and it's nice that I can do Linux stuff. I am not sure why I decided to buy the pen too, as I don't have any obvious use for it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've had the new Pixelbook a day and I'm liking it. Not too much to say here -- it's light and nicely designed, I'm not really missing the Windows apps, and it's nice that I can do Linux stuff. I am not sure why I decided to buy the pen too, as I don't have any obvious use for it.

Squid is a really nice handwriting app.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Can anyone here share their experience using a Chromebook for art?

I don't really understand how the OS operates if it is all browser based.
Can I save files to folders/desktop or does that sort of environment just not exist?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Can anyone here share their experience using a Chromebook for art?

I don't really understand how the OS operates if it is all browser based.
Can I save files to folders/desktop or does that sort of environment just not exist?

I don't have experience with using art-based Android apps on ChromeOS. However, the OS works basically like how you'd expect with a simplified file-management system. You have access to the root of your boot drive, any attached storage, the connected GDrive account, and if you're adventurous, your network shares and/or other remote services (e.g. Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.)

Other apps (Android, Linux) can have limited access. I know that the last time I installed Ubuntu using Crouton, that instance had access to the device's system drive, and Android apps were not able to access external storage (e.g. MicroSD card,) however I'm pretty sure this is being changed if it hasn't already. So basically if you used some kind of Android app you'd be able to save files somewhere, I just can't assure you of the permissions that app will be granted at this point.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Squid is a really nice handwriting app.

Thanks, looks interesting. Is it good for marking up long PDFs too? I have this 700-page math tome I've been going through on paper and I'm thinking of buying Squid's PDF import for that.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Atomizer posted:

Other apps (Android, Linux) can have limited access. I know that the last time I installed Ubuntu using Crouton, that instance had access to the device's system drive, and Android apps were not able to access external storage (e.g. MicroSD card,) however I'm pretty sure this is being changed if it hasn't already. So basically if you used some kind of Android app you'd be able to save files somewhere, I just can't assure you of the permissions that app will be granted at this point.

This sort of leads me into a question about the current state of Linux + Chromebooks as of November 2018... in so far as it can bridge the gap between a general purpose laptop and the sleek, works well Chromebook that in so many ways would be just great for me.

Here's the context and my thoughts.

Currently I have a 6 year old Sony Vaio laptop i5 with 8gb of RAM running Xubuntu 18.04 (with Chrome open basically perpetually) + Windows that I need to retire or move to desk duty. Also have a home server (old laptop but does the job for file server + download bitch, photo store, Plex and Docker selfhosted services duties). drat thing is having power issues in recent days.

I plan on getting:
  • Laptop for on the sofa browsing mostly, perhaps take it out with me travel use with some extra onboard duties and nerdy projects... more below
  • Soon: Beefier home server. Maybe even the current laptop re-purposed, probably not.
  • Later: A desktop PC for gaming duty if I ever get time for that again with a new kid.

So for that Laptop sofa warrior...
Day to day:
  1. Browsing, obviously. Chrome is basically never closed on either my home or work laptop
  2. Home server administration - almost all via SSH and HTTP, occasional SFTP, can even bend on some of that
  3. Photo management (Google Photos + pile of files, covered by home server admin)
  4. Video calls to the grandparents etc (although could do this on the phone)

Occasionally it will go on trips with me where duties may change a bit (all of these have literally happened with my current laptop in the last year, but are not day to day):
  1. Small local Plex server to server a local Chromecast
  2. Some local downloading
  3. Onboard photo management while on poor connections where I cannot quickly upload them - and even if I could, not every image is something worth putting into Google Photos.

As for the local more geeky projects, assume the following Linux apps, example only. If I'm honest, I don't use these all the time.:
  • VS Code - no, not expecting this to be a build server or run 50 VMs, I'm talking the occasional hobby project when the mood takes me
  • GIMP - again, not the digital Mona Lisa, a touch up here and there
  • Open Shot - hopefully you have the idea by now, sticking a few videos together vs. producing a trilogy of feature length films
  • OpenTTD, Widelands (all purpose boredom defeaters)

Realistically I'm thinking about a Chromebook as an "I just want it to work" device for day to day browsing on the sofa after work + kid asleep, one that I can easily loan to the other half as well. That said, and for the price of some, I'd want it to step up while I'm away and find myself on a lovely internet connection where I cannot reasonably get to the home server, and there's the occasional times that I want to do more than many browser-based apps do well. For those times, I'm thinking the Linux support on Chromebooks could step in. That said, the linux and android app support is just something I want to play with for no better reason than it's there to be played with.

Thinking about it all, I'd like more than 4GB of RAM handy, although I rarely fill even 8GB on my current laptop.

With all this in mind, I'm jumping between:
  1. CAD$537 Asus Chromebook Flip C302A with 4GB of RAM, m3 proc and 64GB storage: Mainly because we bought one for my MIL a year ago and it's a great device. However, the lack of ram concerns me, as does storage to some extent.
  2. CAD$999-1799 (-$200 discount for BF/CM) Pixelbooks - taking care of the RAM issue on all specs, although knowing I can have it, I start to look at the extra $300 for the 256GB storage with hungry eyes... as I do at the money-hoovering top end 16GB ram model. Knowing Google's habits, likely I won't be waiting for features either.

So, all that written out, thoughts on what you'd do in my case?

(I've written out the context for this because (travel aside) no one machine has to do all of these duties, better still if they can be remotely done from any machine.)

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 29, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

So this article was just released today concerning the expansion of permissions for non-native ChromeOS applications (i.e. Android, Linux.)

Heners_UK posted:

So for that Laptop sofa warrior...
Day to day:
  1. Browsing, obviously. Chrome is basically never closed on either my home or work laptop
  2. Home server administration - almost all via SSH and HTTP, occasional SFTP, can even bend on some of that
  3. Photo management (Google Photos + pile of files, covered by home server admin)
  4. Video calls to the grandparents etc (although could do this on the phone)

Occasionally it will go on trips with me where duties may change a bit (all of these have literally happened with my current laptop in the last year, but are not day to day):
  1. Small local Plex server to server a local Chromecast
  2. Some local downloading
  3. Onboard photo management while on poor connections where I cannot quickly upload them - and even if I could, not every image is something worth putting into Google Photos.

As for the local more geeky projects, assume the following Linux apps, example only. If I'm honest, I don't use these all the time.:
  • VS Code - no, not expecting this to be a build server or run 50 VMs, I'm talking the occasional hobby project when the mood takes me
  • GIMP - again, not the digital Mona Lisa, a touch up here and there
  • Open Shot - hopefully you have the idea by now, sticking a few videos together vs. producing a trilogy of feature length films
  • OpenTTD, Widelands (all purpose boredom defeaters)

Realistically I'm thinking about a Chromebook as an "I just want it to work" device for day to day browsing on the sofa after work + kid asleep, one that I can easily loan to the other half as well. That said, and for the price of some, I'd want it to step up while I'm away and find myself on a lovely internet connection where I cannot reasonably get to the home server, and there's the occasional times that I want to do more than many browser-based apps do well. For those times, I'm thinking the Linux support on Chromebooks could step in. That said, the linux and android app support is just something I want to play with for no better reason than it's there to be played with.

Thinking about it all, I'd like more than 4GB of RAM handy, although I rarely fill even 8GB on my current laptop.

With all this in mind, I'm jumping between:
  1. CAD$537 Asus Chromebook Flip C302A with 4GB of RAM, m3 proc and 64GB storage: Mainly because we bought one for my MIL a year ago and it's a great device. However, the lack of ram concerns me, as does storage to some extent.
  2. CAD$999-1799 (-$200 discount for BF/CM) Pixelbooks - taking care of the RAM issue on all specs, although knowing I can have it, I start to look at the extra $300 for the 256GB storage with hungry eyes... as I do at the money-hoovering top end 16GB ram model. Knowing Google's habits, likely I won't be waiting for features either.

So, all that written out, thoughts on what you'd do in my case?

(I've written out the context for this because (travel aside) no one machine has to do all of these duties, better still if they can be remotely done from any machine.)

A CB will definitely do the majority of what you're asking; you can even use the Plex client to control your Chromecast as opposed to running a local server temporarily (you could even do this with a smartphone, or either device with local content if you don't have a connection to your PMS at home.) You should be able to do any administration from either a browser or CLI. All Google services (that I'm aware of) including Photos are seamlessly usable from within ChromeOS itself (the Web interface.) Video calling depends on the service you're using, whether there's a Web interface, or app support, etc.

CBs are the king of "it just works" in mobile computing, and are better about offline stuff than they were initially (although to be fair, most of what you've described requires a network connection anyway.) Both of those devices you've mentioned are the top two in terms of "everybody who has them loves them." The Asus C302 is actually available in other configurations with more RAM (among other things) to better compete with the Pixelbook, and prices are comparable but availability is limited (the highest-end version was UK-only the last time I checked.) If anything, I'd get the Pixelbook but only on sale because all versions have been up to US$300 off at least a few times since release.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Picked up an articulating monitor arm for my 4k monitor and a USB-C to displayport cable with Power Delivery input. The monitor now gets high enough that my Pixelbook can be placed under it, open. I have a one cable solution for audio and video output and charging.

I'm really kinda annoyed I didn't do this earlier. It's such a natural feeling setup and the Pixelbook keyboard is even nicer when used on a hard surface.

It's crazy how good some Android apps have gotten on Chromebooks too. I loaded up the Android version of VMWare Horizon and I was able to connect my VDI at work, outputted at 4k to the external monitor.

I was going to replace my keyboard for one that does dual receiver and bluetooth input so I could use it with more than one device, but after using the Pixelbook keyboard like this, I really don't think I need to.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

On the topic of Linux on Chromebooks, I was pleased to find I could install an open-source Java clone and run the board game program VASSAL. It even works pretty well despite not scaling for DPI:

But I wasn't able to get VASSAL to read and write from my Dropbox. I tried installing Dropbox for Linux but it keeps segfaulting when I try to run it. Is there any way to get to something like Dropbox from within the Linux VM?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

On the topic of Linux on Chromebooks, I was pleased to find I could install an open-source Java clone and run the board game program VASSAL. It even works pretty well despite not scaling for DPI:

But I wasn't able to get VASSAL to read and write from my Dropbox. I tried installing Dropbox for Linux but it keeps segfaulting when I try to run it. Is there any way to get to something like Dropbox from within the Linux VM?

The article in the post two above yours talks about how they are adding Google Drive access to the Linux container.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Dropbox recently dropped Linux support. I switched to Spideroak. So far I'm not too impressed but it'll do until Drive works in Linux.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Dropbox recently dropped Linux support. I switched to Spideroak. So far I'm not too impressed but it'll do until Drive works in Linux.

Are you referring to the dropping of anything except unencrypted Ext4? As controversial as that was, you can still install it just fine if you [are willing to] meet the requirements.

As for Dropbox on Chromebooks, looks like I've got the answer for using the Linux client. I'll look into recommended workflows with it a bit more. Current casualties for me of a switch would be Skype (unless the Linux and/or Android Apps work), Dropbox clients (I'll get by with the website + switch to Drive) and Steam (I'll use an entirely different machine).

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Atomizer posted:

you can even use the Plex client to control your Chromecast as opposed to running a local server temporarily (you could even do this with a smartphone, or either device with local content if you don't have a connection to your PMS at home.)

True true, and that's what I'd prefer to do if the situation allows me. If only for example sake though, could I use the Plex Media Server linux packages on a CB to run a local server. I fully admit this is an atypical scenario for a CB.

Honestly, part of me is thinking about setting some budget aside for better upload for the home.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Re: Pixel Slate chat

Brydge make some stellar 3rd party keyboards - the one on my iPad Pro more or less brings it to nice laptop typing status. They're making one for the P Slate which charges over USB C, so it's all on the same charger. iPad Pro keyboard lasted several weeks to a month in my use, so it's all pretty dang good stuff.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Is there a known issue with audio distortion on the c302? It's been working well since I got it in last week, but this morning I've noticed an occasional stuttery, almost popping noise from the speakers when I try and watch videos. It hasn't happened often, but I want to get out ahead of it if it's going to get worse.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Heners_UK posted:

Are you referring to the dropping of anything except unencrypted Ext4? As controversial as that was, you can still install it just fine if you [are willing to] meet the requirements.

As for Dropbox on Chromebooks, looks like I've got the answer for using the Linux client. I'll look into recommended workflows with it a bit more. Current casualties for me of a switch would be Skype (unless the Linux and/or Android Apps work), Dropbox clients (I'll get by with the website + switch to Drive) and Steam (I'll use an entirely different machine).

Right, I forgot the details. It stopped working for me at least. I used that linux installer for years on desktop as well as crouton. I'm pretty sure it stopped working in crostini for me but I didn't investigate too much as it stopped working on all my other machines as well. So maybe it was still working there.

The Android Skype app works for me. Steam works in both crostini and crouton, although for now no graphics acceleration in crostini.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

The Android Skype app works for me. Steam works in both crostini and crouton, although for now no graphics acceleration in crostini.

That'll do me on that front :) TBH I'm trying to ween the parents off Skype now as we can get miles better video quality on more or less anything else.

As for Steam... I'll live. This isn't for gaming.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Heners_UK posted:

True true, and that's what I'd prefer to do if the situation allows me. If only for example sake though, could I use the Plex Media Server linux packages on a CB to run a local server. I fully admit this is an atypical scenario for a CB.

Honestly, part of me is thinking about setting some budget aside for better upload for the home.

Yes, this should work, and is something I was thinking about doing just for the hell of it with my Pixel LS, but I've been running PMS on a Windows desktop for practical reasons. I haven't actually tried it though.

Swan Lake Algae Problem posted:

Is there a known issue with audio distortion on the c302? It's been working well since I got it in last week, but this morning I've noticed an occasional stuttery, almost popping noise from the speakers when I try and watch videos. It hasn't happened often, but I want to get out ahead of it if it's going to get worse.

Were you, by any chance, watching on Youtube? There's info in the OP about how Google tries to force the open-source VP8 over AVC, and without hardware acceleration it'll consume far more resources resulting in dropped frames and crackling audio. The h264ify extension is linked and gets around this, and there's a System Monitor extension that can easily show you when your CPU is pegged.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The base Pentium model of the HP 13 is available for $300. That's not the cheapest it's ever been but it's still a solid device for the price.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Atomizer posted:

Were you, by any chance, watching on Youtube? There's info in the OP about how Google tries to force the open-source VP8 over AVC, and without hardware acceleration it'll consume far more resources resulting in dropped frames and crackling audio. The h264ify extension is linked and gets around this, and there's a System Monitor extension that can easily show you when your CPU is pegged.

Thanks for this, I hadn't considered that it was a YouTube only issue when you posted it, but it absolutely was.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

:drat: I'm good. :cool:

I don't blame Google for trying to advocate open-source codecs, but the hardware support hasn't been there until recently so they really should've done a better job figuring out which codec to offer to the client.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Heners_UK posted:

That'll do me on that front :) TBH I'm trying to ween the parents off Skype now as we can get miles better video quality on more or less anything else.

As for Steam... I'll live. This isn't for gaming.

I had issues with the Android Skype app but I've found the Skype web client actually works very well on my Chromebook. The only issue I have is unreliability (like audio works but microphone is dead or vice versa) with Bluetooth headsets but internal or wired audio always works fine.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Woah ... never heard of Spideroak so I googled it and visited there website ... and when the page opened Chrome immediately opened another tab to Dropbox's website.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have an original, first model Samsung Chromebook that is still chugging along, I keep it stashed beside the couch for whenever I need a full keyboard out there. My primary PC is a fairly old Lenovo laptop that I've had to replace the hdd to keep it running but it's starting giving me a lot of issues. I don't game and all I really need a laptop for is web browsing, media streaming to the tv and typing up the occasional document which I already use Drive exclusively.

What's the best bang for the buck CB on the market with the largest screen? Can I use USB printers with a CB, I seem to remember this being an issue at one point? Can I stream media from the CB to a Chromecast with the Videostream app?

Edit: Perhaps a Chromebox and a large monitor is a better bet for me?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 2, 2018

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

MrNemo posted:

Skype web client actually works very well on my Chromebook.

Did they ever add video support on CBs to the web client? I'd check myself but my current laptop has really given up on life.

Related question, more in hope than expectation: is any Chromebook worth having still made with user upgradable ram and storage? Future proofing answer, but searching on the matter isn't hopeful.

Edit: aside from adding a microSD card

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 3, 2018

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
I just used skype (ugh) via the web client on my pixelbook last week worked fine

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I have an original, first model Samsung Chromebook that is still chugging along, I keep it stashed beside the couch for whenever I need a full keyboard out there. My primary PC is a fairly old Lenovo laptop that I've had to replace the hdd to keep it running but it's starting giving me a lot of issues. I don't game and all I really need a laptop for is web browsing, media streaming to the tv and typing up the occasional document which I already use Drive exclusively.

What's the best bang for the buck CB on the market with the largest screen? Can I use USB printers with a CB, I seem to remember this being an issue at one point? Can I stream media from the CB to a Chromecast with the Videostream app?

Edit: Perhaps a Chromebox and a large monitor is a better bet for me?

That's the Samsung with the ARM CPU? If so, that was my first one too; I grew out of that real fast (to an Acer C710.)

If you want literally the largest display on a CB, the Acer 15 is recommended. I think someone else like Asus released a 15" CB, but the Acers have always been sufficient. There are at least 3 generations of it now, and my recommendations are simple: FHD display, 4+ GB of RAM, and a quad-core CPU. The newest versions have touchscreens and nicer builds; something like this should suffice.

Details about Google Cloud Print are in the OP. Basically, a regular, non-native-GCP printer needs another system to be the print server; you can build a Raspberry Pi-based one, or leave it plugged into a Windows PC (which is what I do) and install the software. It's simple, and works well.

I've never used Videostream, but you can cast to a Chromecast directly from Chrome, no 3rd-party app needed.

As far as Chromebook vs. Box is concerned, that entirely depends on whether or not you need it to be mobile at all. There are plenty of Chromeboxes to choose from, and they can be quite powerful (and upgradeable in terms of RAM and storage) albeit more expensive than you'd expect, plus you could just leave a Chromebook sitting there connected to an external monitor anyway. It probably makes more sense to get a Chromebook and monitor of your choice, to have the flexibility to disconnect the CB. In that case though you might consider a CB with a smaller display, for better portability.

Heners_UK posted:

Related question, more in hope than expectation: is any Chromebook worth having still made with user upgradable ram and storage? Future proofing answer, but searching on the matter isn't hopeful.

That's actually a good question, but to the best of my knowledge most CBs aren't user-upgradeable, and many aren't easy to open up anyway. A few models (e.g. the 1st-gen Dell 13 IIRC) had upgradeable SSDs (either mSATA or m.2 2242) but I can understand most of them being constructed with eMMC: local storage really wasn't necessary since the entire point was for ChromeOS to be used while connected to a network, and only recently has there been a meaningful need (i.e. Android and/or Linux apps) for more local storage. You can get models with decent RAM and SSD options, and it probably makes sense to just buy what you need rather than expect to upgrade a base model yourself. It's not like DRAM is cheap anymore, and only recently has NAND flash been plummeting.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Atomizer posted:

most CBs aren't user-upgradeable

Yeah I've reached the same conclusion. Shame but I get it and I'll file this under: know what I'm getting into. I'll compensate with a microSD card, and saw your earlier posts about storage access changes.

I ran a bit of a poll earlier and most people are saying to get more RAM, above and beyond storage. I'm inclined to take that advice, admittedly I'm a tab horder and I can foresee myself using Android apps and Linux containers assuming I can be bothered to wake up off the sofa after a day of chasing the child around.

Given budget is also an issue at the moment (see child mention above) and that at some point I just start looking at the entire laptop range (any OS)... blah blah blah... Current frontrunners for me are:

1. HP x360 8gb/64gb - (Newegg.ca) - was USD$450 on BF/CM so about CAD$660 - Seems to cover drat well everything for an extra inch of screen size. That includes Android and Linux support. Even has a proper headphone port and USB-C and USB-A ports. However, I've seen colour complaints.
  2. Asus Chromebook Flip C302CA - Usually the CAD$530 on sale for the 4gb/64gb verion - Loved as we previously said, but no Linux support coming. However, look at the where to buy page for configurations then ask yourself why they are charging Pixelbook money for the i7 16gb/64gb version, and what they were thinking with an 8gb/32gb version. Lacks USB-A but I'm OK with that.
  3. Pixelbook - CAD$1k and up - gets round storage and ram issues even in the base model, but $$$ and no SD support of any kind, USB-C only for headphones (here we go). Honestly as we step up through the models I start to think about something that can do gaming if I'm spending this money.

Used BF/CM prices in the hope I'll get another chance in January 26th December... brain loving work drat you.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 4, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Pixelbook has a headphone jack, it's the Pixel Slate that doesn't.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Heners_UK posted:

Yeah I've reached the same conclusion. Shame but I get it and I'll file this under: know what I'm getting into. I'll compensate with a microSD card, and saw your earlier posts about storage access changes.

I ran a bit of a poll earlier and most people are saying to get more RAM, above and beyond storage. I'm inclined to take that advice, admittedly I'm a tab horder and I can foresee myself using Android apps and Linux containers assuming I can be bothered to wake up off the sofa after a day of chasing the child around.

Given budget is also an issue at the moment (see child mention above) and that at some point I just start looking at the entire laptop range (any OS)... blah blah blah... Current frontrunners for me are:

1. HP x360 8gb/64gb - (Newegg.ca) - was USD$450 on BF/CM so about CAD$660 - Seems to cover drat well everything for an extra inch of screen size. That includes Android and Linux support. Even has a proper headphone port and USB-C and USB-A ports. However, I've seen colour complaints.
  2. Asus Chromebook Flip C302CA - Usually the CAD$530 on sale for the 4gb/64gb verion - Loved as we previously said, but no Linux support coming. However, look at the where to buy page for configurations then ask yourself why they are charging Pixelbook money for the i7 16gb/64gb version, and what they were thinking with an 8gb/32gb version. Lacks USB-A but I'm OK with that.
  3. Pixelbook - CAD$1k and up - gets round storage and ram issues even in the base model, but $$$ and no SD support of any kind, USB-C only for headphones (here we go). Honestly as we step up through the models I start to think about something that can do gaming if I'm spending this money.

Used BF/CM prices in the hope I'll get another chance in January 26th December... brain loving work drat you.

Yeah I'd say RAM is more important that local storage, because the former affects how everything runs (when you've maxed it out) whereas the latter is mostly only important if you're going to install a ton of Android/Linux apps. I'm using the HP 13, m7, 16 GB RAM and 32 GB eMMC; with a few dozen tabs open even when using The Great Suspender, I've got ~10 GB of RAM in use, so that's why I recommend 4 GB minimum for most users, but it sounds like you'd benefit from 8 or even 16 GB. I have a handful of Android apps installed, but still almost 10 GB free; the important thing to note here is that your CB only needs to have Android apps installed that you wouldn't already be using on your phone/tablet. You don't need to have the same apps on multiple devices, so if you limit your CB to the Android apps you actually need on it then you'll probably be fine.

I haven't used or heard a lot of the HP 360 14 yet; Chrome Unboxed doesn't even seem to have a review yet. I'm not sure about the display, but even if it's not color-accurate for photo work I'm sure it's still a better-than average panel along the lines you can find in this HP 13, the Asus Flip, Samsung Pro, Pixelbook, etc.

The Asus C302, as we've covered, is one of the most well-liked CBs. I have not read that it won't be getting Linux app support, in fact I was under the impression that the opposite was true. If you were going to spend more for a higher-end model closer in price to the PB, I'd just get the latter then.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Well now I've decided I like the Chromebook Spin 13 too. Varying on exactly which model to some extent, one of the 8gb RAM ones is most likely. Slightly stepping towards Pixelbook money I admit, but also considering the SD card slot and QHD screen, I'm interested.

Downside: Hard to impossible to find in Canada yet so I'll be off to the States.

EDIT:

Atomizer posted:

I have a handful of Android apps installed, but still almost 10 GB free; the important thing to note here is that your CB only needs to have Android apps installed that you wouldn't already be using on your phone/tablet. You don't need to have the same apps on multiple devices, so if you limit your CB to the Android apps you actually need on it then you'll probably be fine.

Just curious, what apps is that turning out to be for everyone? For me I can foresee Plex possibly going on there, for offline usage and Plex Sync when travelling. Perhaps Netflix for the same reason. Both of those would be travel use when offline, web clients all the way when online or at home. Since I don't actually have a Chromebook, a guess on my part. Perhaps Annotate, since I'm a fan of large red arrows.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 5, 2018

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Heners_UK posted:

Just curious, what apps is that turning out to be for everyone? For me I can foresee Plex possibly going on there, for offline usage and Plex Sync when travelling. Perhaps Netflix for the same reason. Both of those would be travel use when offline, web clients all the way when online or at home. Since I don't actually have a Chromebook, a guess on my part. Perhaps Annotate, since I'm a fan of large red arrows.

Android wise I basically only use mine for games and Lightroom + Instagram. Being able to go from Lightroom on a big good screen (Pixelbook) directly to Instagram without going via my phone is magical.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I have made my mind up to get a pixelbook and am trying to talk myself out of getting the i7. It seems like too much of a price difference for what you are getting. What type of user will need the i7? I only plan on using it for couch browsing, Office, and maybe some android games.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Heners_UK posted:

Just looking at my installed app list, it's basically games [that I don't play on this] and random apps that I rarely use. You really only need apps for things that aren't already Web-accessible, and for my uses I can run any Android apps on my phone; as I've stated before I really don't need any Android/Linux apps on my CB. Offline video, however, is a valid use for the streaming apps.

loudog999 posted:

I have made my mind up to get a pixelbook and am trying to talk myself out of getting the i7. It seems like too much of a price difference for what you are getting. What type of user will need the i7? I only plan on using it for couch browsing, Office, and maybe some android games.

The CPU differences between the models are rather minor; the important components are the RAM and local storage.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

loudog999 posted:

I think the i7's are targeted at the market who are developing Linux containers specifically for the Chromebook. Perhaps (and I do not know how) there's a video rendering market too (or Google is hoping they'll get one).

I would not say the i7 would be of benefit in your case with your intended use. I'll be honest, in my search above I've all but ignored i3/i5/i7 as I intend roughly the same + photo management and pissing around with hobby projects. In some ways, I even wonder if I'd rather have a lower-power consumption i3. [stands by to be corrected about how all of them use a thimble of power when idle]

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Ok, I'll probably get the i5 with the extra storage. Thanks for help.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The extra storage is what prompted me to go with the i5.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The i5 Pixelbook is quite nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It still remains the most satisfying computer purchase for me in quite a long time. About the only thing I would change is the screen bezels to either fit a larger screen or shrink the thing down a bit.

It just works (which can be said for most ChromeOS devices) but the hardware polish also makes it a joy to use.