Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I read something about them wanting to release during hours they knew Valve staff would be awake and around but that could just be Uncle Nintendo level poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hexenritter posted:

I read something about them wanting to release during hours they knew Valve staff would be awake and around but that could just be Uncle Nintendo level poo poo.

That's the common reason devs give for why the bottom doesn't get pushed until mid-day in the US

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
So it looks like there won't be pre-loading. It's been years since I've bought a game that didn't have pre-loading.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Preloading always seems to take me longer to decrypt than it would to just download the fuckin' thing day-of anyway. Like, an unnecessary amount of time.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

This isn't as trash as the last X game is it?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Apparently not, no! Based on some streams over the last few days, it looks like a surprisingly stable-for-an-X-game launch that refines X3 as far as I can tell.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Squiggle posted:

Preloading always seems to take me longer to decrypt than it would to just download the fuckin' thing day-of anyway. Like, an unnecessary amount of time.
That very much depends on the speed of your connection.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

It also looks woefully underexplained and quite a bit janky. Which I guess is par for the course for an X game, but I'll hold off until more people figure out what works and what doesn't.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

beer_war posted:

It also looks woefully underexplained and quite a bit janky. Which I guess is par for the course for an X game, but I'll hold off until more people figure out what works and what doesn't.
I haven't seen anything to suggest this.

The game provides several tutorials on its various features.

Streamers are streamers and are usually too busy screwing around and/or interacting with the audience to do things like tutorials.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Couple examples:

- I found the docking interface really hard to read at first glance, so did Cohh and ObsidianAnt. It's obviously inspired by the Elite:Dangerous docking interface, but more abstracted. People will figure it out after the first couple times, but those first couple times are pretty rough and it's not because docking is *hard* as such.

- Cohh was utterly bewildered during the scanning tutorial where you have to find a tiny signal on a massive station. He might have missed something obvious, but then, so did I.

- At one point, Cohh scanned a thing and then nothing happened. Egosoft dude in chat told him that's gonna be fixed in the full build. Never a good sign this close to release.

- Next, Cohh completed a taxi mission, once he landed at his destination, a voice sample played: "There's been a change of plans with the job". After a few moments of confusion, he figured out that he completed the job successfully, the game just played the wrong voice sample.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Four bullet points of 'jank' for an Egosoft release is basically the second coming of Christ, you realize.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Orv posted:

Four bullet points of 'jank' for an Egosoft release is basically the second coming of Christ, you realize.

Seriously.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

It wasn't meant to be a comprehensive list. And I haven't watched anywhere near their full streams, hell, ObsidianAnt alone already put out ~10 hours worth of X4 content. From what I did see, their general feeling was "This is really cool" paired with "I have no idea what's going on".

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

And if you want to look into the bigger picture of gamming, there was this broken piece of mess called fallout 76 that came out, no one is going to complain about minor stuff like that in its shadow

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

beer_war posted:

It wasn't meant to be a comprehensive list. And I haven't watched anywhere near their full streams, hell, ObsidianAnt alone already put out ~10 hours worth of X4 content. From what I did see, their general feeling was "This is really cool" paired with "I have no idea what's going on".

To be very fair, X3TC/AP was a pretty confusing experience too, if you'd just started it (not sure if you've played it? You probably have, I don't know). Also, if you haven't played Rebirth (like me), we're looking at a generational difference in the game's design, so lots of things will be new. I was wondering what the hell was going on with all the scanning and ship upgrades and stuff too, but I put that down to watching a steam. I'm sure it'll make sense once you can approach it in your own time.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Coucho Marx posted:

To be very fair, X3TC/AP was a pretty confusing experience too, if you'd just started it (not sure if you've played it? You probably have, I don't know). Also, if you haven't played Rebirth (like me), we're looking at a generational difference in the game's design, so lots of things will be new. I was wondering what the hell was going on with all the scanning and ship upgrades and stuff too, but I put that down to watching a steam. I'm sure it'll make sense once you can approach it in your own time.

Yeah, about 600 hours combined in AP and TC. And you're right, it looks like a typical Egosoft game just after release. Does it have potential? Yes. Am I excited for a proper sequel to X3? Yes. But these games only get better with time, patches and mods and I have a billion other games to tide me over.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
A part of me hopes they learned their lesson on missile cruisers.

Another part hopes they didn't because I want to see everything in those systems exploding in gloriously high detail.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Look beer_war your cautious skepticism has no place here. This thread is at full hype level and we are all prepared to eat poo poo at a time unspecified tomorrow.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Press the button

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

There are worse things in the world than eating poo poo, hth.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Rynoto posted:

A part of me hopes they learned their lesson on missile cruisers.

Another part hopes they didn't because I want to see everything in those systems exploding in gloriously high detail.

I did a Litcube's run and once I basically had my factory loops set up and unlimited money, I waged war using only M7Ms.

I had so many (a "vertical" grid of like 7 x 7 M7Ms) my framerate would drop to about 5 fps when they all unleashed their missiles (I had a hotkey set and a pre-determined pattern for the boats to let loose). This is on a 6700k at 4.5ghz, lol.

It was actually trivial at that point as I was attacking them like 35km away or whatever, way out of the range of their PPC-equivalents.

Edit: Apologies for the double post, thought I'd edited into my last one but in my excitement to :justpost: I posted!

Hexenritter posted:

"Our hornets shall blot out the sun"

It was flails and hammerheads I think. The flails (ones that spiral like 7 individual projectiles) were for stripping shields on cap ships, and the hammerheads did the hull damage.

It was stupid how powerful that was.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 30, 2018

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

"Our hornets shall blot out the sun"

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I saw the "dude walks in a starport" segment and now I want this game all over me.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I did a Litcube's run and once I basically had my factory loops set up and unlimited money, I waged war using only M7Ms.

I had so many (a "vertical" grid of like 7 x 7 M7Ms) my framerate would drop to about 5 fps when they all unleashed their missiles (I had a hotkey set and a pre-determined pattern for the boats to let loose). This is on a 6700k at 4.5ghz, lol.

It was actually trivial at that point as I was attacking them like 35km away or whatever, way out of the range of their PPC-equivalents.

Lol, that owns.

I wonder if you can also build a starport that's impossible to enter or exit alive in order to destroy NPC ships without firing a single bullet.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Didn't realize this game was coming out in less than half a day--like everyone else I stopped paying attention to the X series after X4 was, er, what it was.

I'm all insomnia'd out, as it were, so I guess it's time to go video watching and hype generating :v:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Send me the entrance application for Club 970, please.

Figuring there would be no big battle footage from pre-release streams, I looked for Rebirth footage. It strangely varies video to video between very sweet battles where the player was aboard a ship with high visibility commanding fleets of ships to attack (:awesome:) and weird spreadsheet simulator battles fought at extremely long range. It was like watching two entirely different games. The flight model in the streams for X4 looked serviceable, and I am a fan of both customizing/upgrading/flying spaceships in Elite and being Grand Emperor Bastard in strategy games so X4 sounded like a good target. Before pulling the trigger, some questions for series veterans:

How much of the game is like the prerelease streams with the blandest of fetch quests?

Is it a zero challenge make-your-own-fun creativity engine or is there an actual progression game in there? Aside from painting dumb names on things I don't really care if my ship/base/etc is the prettiest. I want it to be the most efficient at processing spaceonium that fuels my heavy murdercannons so I can turn more of the map my color.

In relation to the above, how good in the game about scaling up into a self-sustaining operation so I can focus on having enough spaceonium miners instead of mining it myself?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mailer posted:

In relation to the above, how good in the game about scaling up into a self-sustaining operation so I can focus on having enough spaceonium miners instead of mining it myself?

At the very least, that last one is a big deal for these games. It seems they have also further streamlined the "make my own space weed factory" process.

What remains to be seen is not where the end point lands compared to "So I can build my own murder fleet on the back of automated labor!", that is usually a given.

The bigger question seems to be how far your starting point of building your own space business will be from "Oh my god why is everyone sold out of Y? Fine! I'll make my own Y factories, with blackjack and hookers!"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 30, 2018

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Section Z posted:

At the very least, that last one is a big deal for these games. It seems they have also further streamlined the "make my own space weed factory" process.

What remains to be seen is not where the end point lands compared to "So I can build my own murder fleet on the back of automated labor!", that is usually a given.

The bigger question seems to be how far your starting point of building your own space business will be from "Oh my god why is everyone sold out of Y? Fine! I'll make my own Y factories, with blackjack and hookers!"

It looks like the Player HQ is given to you pretty early on and it seems likely you can build on that.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

They've also stressed that research and development will play a much greater role in X4 than in past games.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

That whole easter egg hunt system for data nodes is really weird but seems important for unlocks. Saw a streamer chase a red light and get the blueprint to build a defense platform.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

That whole easter egg hunt system for data nodes is really weird but seems important for unlocks. Saw a streamer chase a red light and get the blueprint to build a defense platform.

I think you get the blueprint of the thing you scanned from the looks of it, but there might be other ways to get them too?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So I skipped Rebirth entirely. Last game was X3TC.

Does the new engine still have constant AI fuckery with the AI crashing into both each other and you?

I didn't mind the rest of the jank, but the bit where you'd have constant Space Traffic Jams resulting in Space Crashes was real irritating.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They greatly improved the AI's ability to pathfind around objects for Rebirth but the autopilot did kill one of the streamers by boosting at 2000m/s into another object while he was looking at a menu.

So... yes and no?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It wouldn't be an X game without suicidal AI.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It was specifically that the AI went through the gate and smashed into what I think was a ship parked on the other side so... yeah extremely X game.

The main problem I think is that the new travel drive makes you go ludicrously fast and takes a while to stop from so it's not very safe to use through gates :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
That button better be pressed before I get home from work Egosoft

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Welp, getting out of bed (sick day), pulling the trigger and waiting for it to drop is my plan for the next ~10 hours.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I was one of those maniacs that was buying a new pc right when the OG 12GB Titans came out and I’m still rocking it. Over the years I’ve been wondering when it’s going to start feeling it’s age and so far it just isn’t. I’m interested to see how it handles X4.

HYPE.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

It was specifically that the AI went through the gate and smashed into what I think was a ship parked on the other side so... yeah extremely X game.

The main problem I think is that the new travel drive makes you go ludicrously fast and takes a while to stop from so it's not very safe to use through gates :v:

Egosoft should do a short-term contract with whoever coded the docking computers in Independence War 2, that stuff was flawless.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
so it looks like every sector is comprised of multiple subsectors this time around, I wonder what the total is? I think x3 reunion launched with 160ish & ended up with over 200-300 by ap, no idea about rebirth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The other thing is that "a sector" can comprise a vast amount of space, with dozens of stations in it, each equivalent to an X3 complex. Much bigger than any equivalent sector in X3.

It doesn't really map well 1:1