Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I cannot overemphasize how amazing boygenius is. Holy poo poo. So good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I've been playing Sir Babygirl's Haunted House all day and I am incredibly excited for her album in 2019. The two other tracks she has on spotify, "Heels" and "Flirting with Her" are also great if you're ok with them not being as high-tempo'd as Haunted House.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

HorseRenoir posted:

The best indie rock record of the year is Low's "Double Negative" and it's not even an indie rock record

We had a brief tangent on revolutionizing and trailblazing earlier in this thread and honestly no album this year did more of that than this one, maybe with a hat tip to Noname

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Bleachers is doing another cover album of all female vocals. Julien Baker and Mitski are the top names on the next installment.

I really enjoyed his last cover album more than his original. That had Sara Bareilles, Tegan & Sara, Charli XCX, and MO. Mix is might be a bit more pop, but I think it still falls in line with indie.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
The new Panda Bear album leaked.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Really digging The Beaches sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfS9zFOgSHA

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I love The Beaches!! This is my fave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ89uwtkmGI

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Check out One Eleven Heavy. That album is great

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Slandible posted:

Bleachers is doing another cover album of all female vocals. Julien Baker and Mitski are the top names on the next installment.

I really enjoyed his last cover album more than his original. That had Sara Bareilles, Tegan & Sara, Charli XCX, and MO. Mix is might be a bit more pop, but I think it still falls in line with indie.

Had no idea they did this. I'm gonna check it out.

I love the idea, one of my favorite aspects of U2 songs is that they consider the album version the start of a song. Often it gets reimagined/rearranged during tour and they'll often re-release that new version.

I can't stand the idea of just going to a live show and hearing the CD exactly as it sounds. I love hearing a songs evolution as its life gets longer.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

T Bowl posted:

The new Panda Bear album leaked.

Oh drat, I didn't even know he had one coming! How is it?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Antonoff is a good writer and performer, but that guy was made to be a producer.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm seeing Minus the Bear tomorrow night for the 7th.................and final time :negative:

Went to setlist.fm and checked their recent setlists and made a Spotify playlist of everything they've played their last few shows. Listening to that now.

It's really gonna suck not having any more music from them to look forward to.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
saw westerman's first us show last night and it was real good! usually dweeby white dude sad music aint my thing but this clicks for me somehow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrB6C2_qAm0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IID1uXY-Zvw

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Found out The Beaches were playing here tonight and went to see them. Definitely a good show for knowing little of their material.

They had their own sound engineer and setup on stage which I can't say I have ever seen. That was strange, but I have certainly seen bad shows due to house sound techs sucking.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

looking forward to seeing young fathers and petite noir live in a couple of weeks

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Whorelord posted:

looking forward to seeing young fathers and petite noir live in a couple of weeks

loving hell that's gonna be a good show

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Jesus, that would be awesome — and can confirm that YF are great live.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

For anyone else who cares about Spencer Krug, he released a final Moonface album called This One's for the Dancer & This One's for the Dancer's Bouquet, which is a very Spencer Krug title. It's good and weird, a lot more interesting than My Best Human Face.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
I know the Elon thing, but the new Grimes loving bangs. It's like a track from Visions on steroids.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

angrygodofjebus posted:

I know the Elon thing, but the new Grimes loving bangs. It's like a track from Visions on steroids.

It's a drat good song but the lyrics + industrial sound makes it sound like a 2020's era version of nu-metal

Still slaps though

Also Phoebe Bridgers released another Christmas song following the one she put out last year, this time with Connor Oberst I believe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB3Y5anFyg8

In case anyone missed it, the one from last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05DMyR5ZLHA

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RedneckwithGuns posted:

It's a drat good song but the lyrics + industrial sound makes it sound like a 2020's era version of nu-metal

Still slaps though

It absolutely reminds me of a Stabbing Westward track and I ain't complaining.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

angrygodofjebus posted:

Yeah I went into this basically looking for another excuse to hate on grimes, but this song rules. She really knows how to do futurism right... all of the cheap synthwave flooding the internet is put to shame by this track.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYG_4vJ4qNA

Tl;dw: The future is here and it's an eighties anime.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

BonoMan posted:

It absolutely reminds me of a Stabbing Westward track and I ain't complaining.

Stabbing Westward reference holy smokes

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Still slaps though

She has said several times that she LOVED nu metal as a kid.

knows a black guy posted:

Oh drat, I didn't even know he had one coming! How is it?

I like it a lot but I am also a huge fanboy of his and have seen many people crap on Tomboy and Panda Bear Meets The Grim Reaper... both of which I think are amazing albums nearly start to finish.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

T Bowl posted:

I like it a lot but I am also a huge fanboy of his and have seen many people crap on Tomboy and Panda Bear Meets The Grim Reaper... both of which I think are amazing albums nearly start to finish.

I'm right there with you brother on those albums, so I'm glad to hear your positive review!

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Polo-Rican posted:

Yeah I went into this basically looking for another excuse to hate on grimes, but this song rules. She really knows how to do futurism right... all of the cheap synthwave flooding the internet is put to shame by this track.

I like the last minute, and the cover art a lot. Otherwise it sounds a little too Metric x *Generic nu metal band* and excessively long for my taste.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I grew up with nu metal and pop music of the late 90's and early 00's so We Appreciate Power is a synthetic nostalgia trip for me.

Kind of reminds me of Orgy and their brand of 'death-pop'.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

angrygodofjebus posted:

Siivola posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYG_4vJ4qNA

Tl;dw: The future is here and it's an eighties anime.

:staredog:

I know she uses Ableton, but I wanna know what the gently caress her workflow is like to be able to get some of these sounds. I mean I'm assuming it's some really unique usage of VSTs, but drat. This is bonkers.

I guess this whole time, instead of actually putting in any meaningful work on Teslas, Elon was working on refining the Grimes AI.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm very glad Elon "Fucklord" Musk didn't suck the talent out of Grimes.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Her Apple commercial was brain numbing though.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
bruh gently caress grimes i dont care if her music slaps or not lol

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
grimes song good

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

It's definitely a Grimes song.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Princeps32 posted:

grimes song good

Water wet

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Despera posted:

Water wet

Unions busted

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I guess late 90's nostalgia is here, and I'm here for it too. It totally gives me the vibe of a song/video I would've downloaded a RealPlayer file of.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

I guess late 90's nostalgia is here, and I'm here for it too. It totally gives me the vibe of a song/video I would've downloaded a RealPlayer file of.

1998 was a hell of a year

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Princeps32 posted:

grimes song good

this is not an emptyquote

amazing track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Slandible posted:

It's definitely a Grimes song.

A bit overproduced and disjointed, but still wonderful? Sign me the gently caress up.

101 posted:

Unions busted

lol