Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

The Bee posted:

The rub about the Switch is that seemingly all of the big-ticket first party games are built with it being a portable console in mind. This means single, big progression points are wiped away, replaced with a series of small and repeatable achievements you can conceivably chip away at on the bus. When you consider this, so much of Breath of the Wild especially, but also a few other major first party titles, starts to make sense.

Breath of the Wild has near 1000 Korok seeds and 120 shrines so you stand a very good chance of getting a few small puzzles and one large puzzle chipped away at in a single session. The weapon durability and somewhat repetitive nature of the gameplay loop become way less problematic when you're dealing with them once on your commute, rather than for hours at a time on your couch.

Similarly, Mario Odyssey and its many power moons, where you can play through the game like a normal Mario title or stand a good chance of finding moons in any random nook and cranny.

Kirby Star Allies has its Guest Star mode, where you're encouraged to speedrun through an abridged version of the main game with a huge cast of every power in the game and pretty much all the highlights of Kirby's supporting cast over the years. You try doing that all at once, you're going to get Kirby'd out in no time. You do a little every so often, and you get a Kirby that's not the best in the series but maybe the most replayable.

And then we have Smash Ultimate with the Spirit Board. Which, once again, is many bite-sized events that you can do a few of at a time and feel accomplished despite not having a ton of time to play. Starting to see the trend?

This sort of poo poo fits my schedule way better and I don't even do mobile gaming. gently caress marathons unless they're gently caress marathons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Somfin posted:

This sort of poo poo fits my schedule way better and I don't even do mobile gaming. gently caress marathons unless they're gently caress marathons.

Honestly, same. I know I posted in Dragging Down, but personally its way more a Little Thing in my books. I just wanted to follow the conversation.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I don't think a purely mobile game NEEDS to be designed with tiny progression points in mind to work, because nowadays you can put the console simply on standby at any point and pick it up later without even having to worry about it running out of power too quickly; that's not something you could do with a Game Boy. That doesn't help with the argument that you should be able to get something tangible done on a commute of course, but I personally think that if the game is good, you always get something out of even a minute of playing it: fun.

Even within Zelda itself, I haven't played BotW yet because it honestly feels a little daunting to start while I COULD instead play short Mega Man stages in their Collections (so...the portability argument hasn't yet worked for me), but I did play almost all of Majora's Mask 3DS on my 20-minute commute and that is one of the last pick-up-and-get-poo poo-done games. They added hard save points which was a fantastic move, but again, you can just close the 3DS after the morning ride and in the evening it'll be instantly ready for you to go when you ride back. And MM is a good game, so within 20 minutes you can get one corner of a dungeon done, grind a few tries on a minigame until you master it, do one bossfight, et cetera - there's a bunch of little poo poo to do even IF the dungeon, many sidequests etc. are long long long affairs because it's compartmentalized into small puzzles. It's decidedly not like a GTA mission where you have to drive 10 minutes, take out a building full of dudes for another 10 minutes, and then run away from the cops for another 10 minutes with no way to save progress in-mission. That's wildly exaggerated and guessed number because I haven't played a GTA after SA, but people have been complaining about that and I can easily see it.

As for personal content: I bought Hellgate: London because it showing up on Steam really surprised me, got it waaay back when it first released as I was super curious about the "Diablo 2 killer" from some of the makers of the original game, and even though it was kinda garbage and buggy and had no endgame, I had a good enough time and was happy with the money I spent. So just for a little nostalgia I got it for 8€ now and it's still roughly the same with a few extra tidbits added due to its wild history of becoming a Korean MMO in the meantime, so it could be a nice little brainless klick monsters dead thing, EXCEPT: there is a gamebreaking bug that has apparently existed since 2008 and makes it completely unplayable after a while. At SOME point, sometimes after an hour, sometimes after 20 minutes, but inevitably, something in the engine goes horribly wrong and it grinds to a complete halt, like 1 frame ever five seconds, for a solid minute sometimes of the slowest slideshow while your PC just chugs along like crazy, and no graphic settings, core optimization, compatibility mode or anything can fix that. It is as far as I learned a physics bug deeply buried in the engine itself, and sometimes when a corpse ragdolls into a wall the wrong way, the game just SHITS itself with no return until the corpse vanishes on its own, and once it happens once, it will happen again and again until you turn it off and start all over again.

Hellgate: London is not a very pick up and play game. It has long areas with dumb "collect bear asses" quests, insanely tedious bossfights with way overinflated health values and so on. Gambling that the next 20-minute-excursion will not end after 17 minutes with the game irrepairably dying from utter neglect is unacceptable. I'd have played it even though it is ridiculously bad by any metric, but I can't even do that. Maybe at some point a fan patch will be adapted to the Steam version that has fixed the retail version long, long ago already, but who knows if that happens. Such a shame.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Simply Simon posted:

EXCEPT: there is a gamebreaking bug that has apparently existed since 2008 and makes it completely unplayable after a while.

That annoyed me in World to the West, a particular collectible is impossible to get because the tool that is supposed to spawn in one of the rooms that gets you there just doesn't spawn correctly. It's either not there at all or they spawned it on top of the room by accident, but it cannot be used. The bug was never fixed.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

The protagonist of Ni No Kuni II is a tween catboy who uses the dual powers of naive idealism and friendship to unite the world and vanquish a guy who went full world-destroyer over losing his girlfriend. Also you collect little pokemon

Yeah, but I read the NNK II thread from a while back. If, in that thread, you dared call the game anime, everyone jumped down your throat telling you it was more a "fairy tale game" than an "anime game". I just wanted to forestall that argument here :(

I agree with you that it is anime and I do not like anime.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's amazing how scarce Fallout 4 feels when you skip the non-essential radiant-quests and settlement-building. I count 110-ish actual quests, same as New Vegas, and a third of them consist of you just talking to someone. It looks bad when the Witcher 3 had even less skill-checks than Fallout 3 and no character-creation and still managed a degree of roleplaying.

Playing the game with weightless-junk mod, no perk-level-reqs, and the checklist app can shave off dozen of hours than a playthrough without.

I'm sort of reminded of Destiny 2 in that the tools and the assets are all there for a perfect open-world role-playing game, but the head developers set their sights really low by just making a game about killing dudes and taking their stuff over all else.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 16:02 on Nov 29, 2018

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think pretty much everyone was hoping Bethesda would let Obsidian play with their toys again and give us another New Vegas.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Obsidian is off the table but imagine what Arkane could do.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Thursday Next posted:

I don't think it's anime. I think that if this was made with western graphics/animation, no one would call it anime. It's got cat people, but they aren't, like, sexy cat people. The main character doesn't have a sister complex or anything creepy like that. There aren't any, like, mechs or whatever poo poo. And best of all, the main character isn't some incompetent idiot with a full heart or whatever - he's inexperienced in being a king, but he learns quick and doesn't stumble over himself. Roland, likewise, is actually very competent, without being some needlessly cryptic mentor character who's at the ancient age of 24 or something.

Honestly, it's not anime. And I will be the person to point at something, mouth agape, Invasion of the Body Snatchers-style, if something has anime tropes all around it.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

... and vanquish a guy who went full world-destroyer over losing his girlfriend.

Okay but enough about Star Wars.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 19:02 on Nov 29, 2018

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Control question: Is octopath anime?

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

Vic posted:

Control question: Is octopath anime?

Does it have a tween catboy?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Morpheus posted:

I don't think it's anime. I think that if this was made with western graphics/animation, no one would call it anime. It's got cat people, but they aren't, like, sexy cat people. The main character doesn't have a sister complex or anything creepy like that. There aren't any, like, mechs or whatever poo poo. And best of all, the main character isn't some incompetent idiot with a full heart or whatever - he's inexperienced in being a king, but he learns quick and doesn't stumble over himself. Roland, likewise, is actually very competent, without being some needlessly cryptic mentor character who's at the ancient age of 24 or something.

Honestly, it's not anime. And I will be the person to point at something, mouth agape, Invasion of the Body Snatchers-style, if something has anime tropes all around it.

Okay but enough about Star Wars.

NNK is literally a playable Ghibli movie

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Samuringa posted:

The first one is, yeah. The second one had no collaboration with the studio (except that the character designer and lead composer came back for it).

But still - there's a difference between something that is made using anime and anime, a word said with venom. People don't dislike something because it's made using japanese animation. People dislike something because it's 'anime'.

Which I understand, don't get me wrong. If I have to see another story about "<insert generic name here> was just another regular guy until - " I'm going to fight everyone in the room. NNK2 is not that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Oh, I'll add something applicable to this thread: I quite like Breath of the Wild, but found it a little too easy, so opted to try the hard mode, whatever it's called.

I like a lot about it - all enemies are 'ranked up', so if there's normally a red bokoblin somewhere, it'll be blue; instead of blue, there'll be a white one; instead of white, black. And so forth, for all enemies. You take way more damage, have to really pick your battles, it's cool.

Except that in addition to combat being more lethal, enemies also regenerate hitpoints after like a second of not taking damage. So if you're not constantly wailing on them, they just recover all their health. This sucks in a regular game, but in a game with destructible weaponry, it absolutely sucks. Makes every battle a giant pain in the rear end where, after maybe an unfortunate tumble or something, I realize that I've just wasted a shitload of resources in an attempt to defeat something that isn't going to succeed. Affects minibosses, too, which is great, considering many of them need to expose a weakpoint for you to do any significant damage.

I don't know if it applies to actual bosses, but if it does I may need to abandon this idea.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

My big problem with the game storywise right now is that the prince doesn't seem to care at all about his former subjects. He escapes the coup and then goes 'I'll make my own kingdom, with piratespeace, and higgledieshappiness!'

One neat bit about it though is a character you run into at the start is made for you to think he's gonna be this recurring super tough guy (complete with a Vader-esque helmet), but then he's the first boss and you beat him up. I'm still early in the game and I hope that was the end for that character because that'll be a good joke on their part.

Also from my experience the difficulty levels are Super Easy, Easy, and Insane (ie normal enemies can kill you in two hits).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Also from my experience the difficulty levels are Super Easy, Easy, and Insane (ie normal enemies can kill you in two hits).

The two harder difficulties were actually added post-launch in a patch, after complaints about the game being too easy.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Samuringa posted:

Visually it is, but the story is trite cliche nonsense that miyazaki wouldn't clean his nikujaga bowl with. The puns are clever enough if you like puns.

It's also: anime.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I’ve been playing Dead By Daylight with some friends and while it’s a very fun game, there’s only one game mode. Finding and activating generators is cool and all, but it’d be nice to have some more variety. What’s unfortunate is that a lot of perks and abilities are very specifically -about- generators, so there’s not a whole lot the devs can do to add another objective type without making a lot of stuff suddenly useless for it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I cannot get into This War of Mine. I don't know if it's a failure of me or the game, but it's just another survival game. Not feeling the "OMG, war is hell, this is so deep and real!" that reviewers felt.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Sunswipe posted:

I cannot get into This War of Mine. I don't know if it's a failure of me or the game, but it's just another survival game. Not feeling the "OMG, war is hell, this is so deep and real!" that reviewers felt.

I find that I run into this problem a lot as well. I’m primarily a competitive multiplayer person so my brain just doesn’t do immersion. When games throw these supposedly tough moral quandaries at me I have no problem with leaving kids or old people hanging out to dry cause I know they’re just pixels, but if I lose cause I ran out of food then I have to start over.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
This War of Mine is a good videogame representation of the shittiness of war and you gotta see it in context of calladoodies it's being sold along. It's okay if you're not floored with it. War ain't great (the videogame).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I refunded that game immediately after buying it on sale because I knew regardless of merit it would just gather dust the 100 other unfinished games I own.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Weapon durability is such a non issue in this particular game though because you only wear out weapons by punching enemies with them and enemies always carry weapons
Except the big guardians but those guys are best dealt with by bashing their stupid faces in with their own lasers

Also you can equip fire weapons to help fight cold weather and ice weapons to help fight hot weather

People say this like I somehow didn't realize enemies typically drop weapons. Doesn't matter. Weapon durability makes me not want to fight enemies because 90% of the time I'll just be trading down. My cool sword breaks and I pick up some lovely goblin club. Most Zeldas you don't have much to gain by fighting rando enemies, but it's fun and you don't have anything to lose either. BotW has the Sticker Star problem where it's better to just avoid fighting anything less significant than a mini boss.

Also the argument that it makes you experience a wide variety of weapons is bogus. There are something like 10 different weapons in that game. Spear A does 10 damage but Spear B does 15 damage and freezes enemies, whoop de doo. Darksiders 2ifying the weapons system adds a bit of superficial variety at the expense of adding hours of inventory management over the course of a playthrough. Although come to think of it I don't think weapons in Darksiders 2 broke so BotW is actually worse.

The environmental ways of taking down enemies are cool up until the first time all of the enemies level up after which they mostly do such low damage they're not worth bothering with. Honestly I think if they'd remove the progression elements from Link's damage and the enemies' durability I'd like the game a lot more. Make all of the spears just do spear amount of damage and all of the moblins have moblin amount of hp. Keep enemy damage increases in because gaining heart containers is probably too iconic to remove and some amount of progression is nice.

BotW's whole inventory management deal worked for me in small doses. That one island people rave about was legitimately a really cool experience. But stretch it out over an entire huge-rear end game and it's 95% too much busywork.

The Bee posted:

And then we have Smash Ultimate with the Spirit Board. Which, once again, is many bite-sized events that you can do a few of at a time and feel accomplished despite not having a ton of time to play. Starting to see the trend?

I mostly agree with your point but I don't think it will detract from Smash since that game is naturally broken down into a series of short fights anyway.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 22:42 on Nov 29, 2018

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm liking Dragon Quest XI, but from what I'd read and heard about it, it was supposed to be an extremely great RPG, but it's... Good, but I wouldn't take it farther than that. I'd heard about the charming world, but I'm not particularly enamored with any of these characters; they feel a bit like character archetypes that were checked off a list, and I'm not even sure how I'd describe their personalities.

I'm not really giving a poo poo about the story or what's going on. I'm in Gondolia (Italyville), so maybe the story will ramp up soon, but I don't feel any real urgency or reason to care that I'm the Luminary and I've gotta fight the Dark One.

Combat is a little too slow for me, and it feels like there's not enough of a variety of monsters in the various areas. And my healer lady doesn't have a multi-heal spell yet.

Despite what I've said, I do like the game. I'm having fun, but I think this will be a game I beat once, then never touch again.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is there an in-game reason I can climb anything except shrine walls?

I get the mechanical reason because it would ruin 90% of the puzzles just curious if there's an actual reason or not

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Len posted:

Is there an in-game reason I can climb anything except shrine walls?

I get the mechanical reason because it would ruin 90% of the puzzles just curious if there's an actual reason or not

You actually can, but link chooses not to out of respect for the ancient ways

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
link doesn't cut the gordian knot unless it's a really creative way of destroying a puzzle

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I just took it as 'there's no easy footholds to climb with'. Shrine walls look pretty drat smooth.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
I think the real answer is “video games”.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

I just took it as 'there's no easy footholds to climb with'. Shrine walls look pretty drat smooth.

Yeah, they're all shiny 'n poo poo

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Leavemywife posted:

I'm liking Dragon Quest XI, but from what I'd read and heard about it, it was supposed to be an extremely great RPG, but it's... Good, but I wouldn't take it farther than that. I'd heard about the charming world, but I'm not particularly enamored with any of these characters; they feel a bit like character archetypes that were checked off a list, and I'm not even sure how I'd describe their personalities.

I'm not really giving a poo poo about the story or what's going on. I'm in Gondolia (Italyville), so maybe the story will ramp up soon, but I don't feel any real urgency or reason to care that I'm the Luminary and I've gotta fight the Dark One.

Combat is a little too slow for me, and it feels like there's not enough of a variety of monsters in the various areas. And my healer lady doesn't have a multi-heal spell yet.

Despite what I've said, I do like the game. I'm having fun, but I think this will be a game I beat once, then never touch again.

Like most DQ games, it picks up once the world opens some more. The one thing with the game I don't like is having more party members then party slots. I generally find a party I like early on and will stick with that from there. A magic user isn't useful when every character has AOE spells and abilities, so why take Veronica?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Thursday Next posted:

Yeah, but I read the NNK II thread from a while back. If, in that thread, you dared call the game anime, everyone jumped down your throat telling you it was more a "fairy tale game" than an "anime game". I just wanted to forestall that argument here :(

I guess I proved that you can't win either way, my dude. Sorry.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

Like most DQ games, it picks up once the world opens some more. The one thing with the game I don't like is having more party members then party slots. I generally find a party I like early on and will stick with that from there. A magic user isn't useful when every character has AOE spells and abilities, so why take Veronica?
Because she's really, really strong. Every DQ11 character is capable of some fantastic stuff. It's a well balanced game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

HairyManling posted:

I think the real answer is “video games”.

Followed up by "deal with it"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

Give it a couple more story beats and you might change your mind on it a bit. You've only just got Sylvando after all.

CitizenKain posted:

I never really found Serena's magic spells to be that great so that was enough to endorse using her more often. If you're not talking about like just after getting her and like 40 hours in then sure you can mix and match things up as much as you like since you've got more things to use in combat and such.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I've been playing Slime Rancher recently and one issue I've been finding is that its pretty tough keeping some of the higher tier slimes happy, you might think its not such a problem if they are grumpy while waiting to be fed but god help you if you have any Dervish Slimes in the same area as any other types, doubly so if they are Largos.

The issue is Dervish Slimes randomly create tornados and when they are hungry the tornados get bigger and can and will scoop up anything in their path and toss it around, including other slimes and plorts, I've had multiple Tarr outbreaks from these little assholes sending their plorts and other slimes flying everywhere.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

Most of the time there weren't. Really what stuck out was that this one had a giant chain link fence in it

https://youtu.be/lcwEeWXxzpY

And like I said from a gameplay standpoint I get exactly why you can just climb to the end it just seems weird that anything else I can climb but he respects these old zombie people too much.

Unrelated to that found a dragon last night that disappeared when I got close ):

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Here's one that popped into my head in the car this morning.

Parasite Eve: Aya's running animation has her taking large, quick steps that don't sync to her run speed. This bothered me the first time I played it for me to shelf the game for a while, which is a shame, since it's otherwise a great game.

This rarely pops up in other games, too, but PE was the most egregious example of it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Len posted:

Unrelated to that found a dragon last night that disappeared when I got close ):

gently caress, seeing that thing for the first time really blew my mind.

That's one thing I really like about BOTW, different from other open world games with weird encounters - some of the encounters and things you stumble across are really loving wild, whether it's that one island, or the giant maze, the sand spiral, that those, actually dragon, all kinds of stuff that, since the world is just so drat big, isn't something you're automatically going to find after playing for a few hours.

Dragging it down? Even though it's weird and wonderful and poo poo, you know that for the most part your reward will be an orb, or a neat weapon that'll just break. The reward is in finding the poo poo, yes, but it's still, like, eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

For all the complaining I've done I'm going to be a little disappointed when I finally climb my last tower and need a new short term goal