Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

If there's 2 companies in the whole country it's not a monopoly you see. Move along citizen.

watch how long that lasts

Day 1 post brexit "We're writing to let you know that we are improving the services we provide to you..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

good news about eu laws in uk

lmao

I pay 14 euros p/m for 10gb with 100 min talk and it is a business expense :c00lbert:
however the 4g doesn't work outside of NL so, eh

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

good news about eu laws in uk

it was good while it lasted

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

only reason i still use sprint is its the only carrier where unlimited actually means unlimited, no throttling or caps or w/e. coverage is poo poo but data anxiety is a thing ive never experienced

lmao "i never get to use my data because the service is completely garbage but at least they're honest that i can use as much of it as i want on the off chance i actually get a signal!"

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

its not bad enough to actually be inconvenient like 98% of the time. the tradeoff is well worth it, i use itunes match constantly and never worry about streaming too many songs or whatever

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the eu roaming rules are extra good atm because i don't think most carriers are set up to actually enforce the limits they do get to enforce, so i'm heading into year two of using a foreign sim in the otherwise rather expensive data-wise germany (plus i can dodge poor connectivity by just choosing to roam over to another carrier)

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

lmbo as if Brexit is actually going to be a thing within 5 years, they're just gonna keep extending the transition phases FOREEEEVEEEER

well actually the way things are going the uk falling out with no deal in march is entirely viable.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the computer game “football manager” simulates the brexit process over the coming years but since nobody actually knows how it will play out it can end up wildly different from one game to the next. the democratic unionist party got real mad because one possible outcome is northern ireland leaving the uk and reunifying with the republic of ireland

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

trying to choose an icon for my google maps biking directions siri shortcut and out of several dozen predefined symbols you can have, the extremely common bicycle symbol isn't one of them. closest thing is a motorcycle. does Apple just hate bicycles and the people who ride them? what is their deal srsly

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Weedle posted:

the computer game “football manager” simulates the brexit process over the coming years but since nobody actually knows how it will play out it can end up wildly different from one game to the next. the democratic unionist party got real mad because one possible outcome is northern ireland leaving the uk and reunifying with the republic of ireland

so the best possible option.

I'm kinda hype that Scotland could leave, Ireland could unify, and then these both join the EU and England just becomes a third world pit.

bet that shitass worthless queen wishes she did something at any point now!!!!!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

THC posted:

trying to choose an icon for my google maps biking directions siri shortcut and out of several dozen predefined symbols you can have, the extremely common bicycle symbol isn't one of them. closest thing is a motorcycle. does Apple just hate bicycles and the people who ride them? what is their deal srsly

yospos twist: shaggar worked for apple all along

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

greybeards are weird.

like I have an old computer hobby but there's people on facebook commenting on how they still use Mac OS9 to run loving file servers/backups for businesses

multiple businesses

and poo poo like that

nobodies impressed your putting the entire organization at risk by using a 15 year out of support operating system for critical operations grandpa

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
old cjs are dumb as poo poo, see: yospos

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

SRQ posted:

greybeards are weird.

like I have an old computer hobby but there's people on facebook commenting on how they still use Mac OS9 to run loving file servers/backups for businesses

multiple businesses

and poo poo like that

nobodies impressed your putting the entire organization at risk by using a 15 year out of support operating system for critical operations grandpa
i paid $599 for that copy of filemaker pro server back in 1999 and ill be damned if im not going to get every single nickles worth out of my purchase

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

infernal machines posted:

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

FMguru posted:

i paid $599 for that copy of filemaker pro server back in 1999 and ill be damned if im not going to get every single nickles worth out of my purchase

my favourite thing is seeing this for reselling.

2001 power Mac, cool machine.

1000 dollars, it cost 7000 new and I bought 3000 of software in 2002! gently caress YOU IT'S WORTH EVEN MORE.

bonus: after I poked someone with an iMac g3 2001 they ebayed it and raised the price from 50 (fair) to 250 (lol) due to "it's rare"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

FMguru posted:

there was a mech eng cum server janitor who used to janitor for a client of mine, who firmly believed in this principle. when he finally got forced into retirement after causing a week long company wide outage at a plant that ran 2 shifts six days a week we got to pick up the pieces. he had an nt4 server running some domain services as well as multiple win2k servers, all original hardware, in tyool 2015.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

:hmmyes:

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

my iphone’s mail.app is now not displaying a lot of my emails. just shows the loading screen and never stops. tried wifi and lte

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

try switching mail off for the account, then back on, then throwing it in the trash because why the hell do you have to janitor an apple product?

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

try switching mail off for the account, then back on, then throwing it in the trash because why the hell do you have to janitor an apple product?

omg that worked lol thank you

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, i have to do that once or twice a year when mail.app just starts showing phantom messages in my inbox that can never be removed.

shameful, but it works

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

meanwhile...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

nice av/post combo

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

there was a mech eng cum server janitor who used to janitor for a client of mine, who firmly believed in this principle. when he finally got forced into retirement after causing a week long company wide outage at a plant that ran 2 shifts six days a week we got to pick up the pieces. he had an nt4 server running some domain services as well as multiple win2k servers, all original hardware, in tyool 2015.

holy poo poo lol

what was the cause of the outage? did they get hacked or did almost twenty years' worth of bodges just finally collapse on itself and he couldn't untangle it?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

im the cum server janitor

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I pay £15 per month for unlimited everything everywhere I also use chip and pin unlike America which still literally needs signatures haha

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

holy poo poo lol

what was the cause of the outage? did they get hacked or did almost twenty years' worth of bodges just finally collapse on itself and he couldn't untangle it?

weirdly no, the outage was because that rocket surgeon moved all the company data on to a single hp fileserver he had just bought, with a massive array, followed by the raid controller dying. turns out the reason it was so much cheaper than the one we told him to buy was because there was somehow no warranty on it, which of course he didn't know when he bought it. with nothing like DFS or any kind of server redundancy and backups to tape that only worked with the now non-functional HP's HBA he had no way of even attempting to restore to anything else, and didn't have anything to restore to in any case.

it took a week to get the replacement raid adapter from an hp reseller because everyone involved is dumber than poo poo and there are no spare parts inventories for certain things.

...at least he had backups.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

yesterday i pulled up control center and the icon for rotation lock was just a white roundrect, no icon or any way to tell what the current status was

when they said ios 12 was focused on bugs did that mean adding them instead of removing them?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

yesterday i pulled up control center and the icon for rotation lock was just a white roundrect, no icon or any way to tell what the current status was

when they said ios 12 was focused on bugs did that mean adding them instead of removing them?

drat that's hosed up, it's supposed to be a squircle

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

distilling them into their purest form

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Plank Walker posted:

drat that's hosed up, it's supposed to be a squircle

baby computer user spotted

https://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=Round_Rects_Are_Everywhere.txt

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

it looks like there is actually a difference, my bad

https://hackernoon.com/apples-icons-have-that-shape-for-a-very-good-reason-720d4e7c8a14

if only apple applied a tenth of this attention to detail to their software

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

apple hardware: precisely shaped edges, quality manufacturing

apple software: we'll just tell people to reinstall ios every six months, there's beer we need to be drinking instead

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i think the first time i ever heard the word “squircle” was when the second-generation zune was announced

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
press the squircle to squirt

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Pissflaps posted:

I pay £15 per month for unlimited everything everywhere I also use chip and pin unlike America which still literally needs signatures haha

yes but the nhs will be sold off at first chance to American Healthcare companies so

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

apple hardware: precisely shaped edges, quality manufacturing

apple software: we'll just tell people to reinstall ios every six months, there's beer we need to be drinking instead

why would you ever need to reinstall ios?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Last Chance posted:

why would you ever need to reinstall ios?

ios 11 had a bad audio bug where it would skip every few seconds or repeat the same fraction of a second in a staccato fashion. this bug persisted through all of the minor versions of ios 11 because i had to do it more than once

also, a lot of cases of "apple is throttling my phone because the battery is old" :argh: is actually because ios poo poo itself internally and the battery is fine

ios is a pile of poo poo and i'm genuinely surprised you've never had to reinstall it unless the iphone xs/xr is your first phone and you've only owned it for a few months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I never had audio problems with ios11 and I listen to music on my phone like 4-6 hours a day

I guess you could say it worked on my machine, it's possible you had a hardware fault or something but assumed it was the os