Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

lurker, but computer-toucher checking in:

taking a year off from working = :discourse:
job hunting after taking a year off = :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

got a call from a recruiter this morning!!

it was the same recruiter who called me a week and a half ago, she didn't even know we had previously spoken and (again) offered me jobs i'm unqualified and anti-interested in

just kills my will to even fuckin try, this sort of thing. "finally, someone looked at my resume and saw something good to discu--oh"

have you tried to at least apply to these companies through the recruiter? if not, don't say you are unqualified - if you get hired despite your resume not matching their description then by definition you're qualified enough to do the work. you have no idea what sort of clown shoes managers and coworkers i have seen

and to be honest reading your posts here you seem desperate for a job like i was a year ago - beggars can't be choosers so if i were you i would try to go out and get some face to face interviews even if i am 99% i will not like the job. at the very least you get interview experience and build your confidence, at best you will get a job where you are happier, even if the company itself sucks for some reason

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

gonna second just getting some interviews/conversations going, if only because the first impressions of a company or position can often be very wrong

for my current job, I had originally thought that I wouldn't really be what they were looking for, nor that I would be interested in what they were doing, but I still went for an interview on a lark since I was available anyway and it ended up actually being a really good match and interesting work to boot

meanwhile a different place had initially looked like it'd be a great fit but after a couple interviews it was apparent that they were a bit of a mess internally, while also paying much less for the privilege

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i mean, the recruiter only offered me stuff that literally had no mention on my resume (PHP came up twice, i recall that) when I already told her "JavaScript is only there because I touched it like once six years ago", so i'm not sure even saying 'sure, send me along' would have any value

still, for the sake of practicing basic interview skills, fair enough i suppose. I told her last time we spoke that I'm actively seeking new work, so I ope she's not just sitting on my resume for lack of permission or some dumb poo poo like that, guess i should check

so here's a different topic: applying internationally, or even just finding jobs to apply for when "where you end up moving to" is low on the priority list. where do you start? i've never not just started by locality and gone from there when it comes to searching out places to apply

there's one specific company in New Zealand i've reached out to; haven't heard anything, though. I certainly wouldn't object to living in NZ, so I suppose I could start there, but then the question I have is, what should i know about even trying to do that as an american?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 30, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
yes let’s send the depressed anxious man an ocean away from any family, friends, or business contacts

that’s not gonna be a perma for suicide/overdose, no sir...

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ciaphas posted:

i mean, the recruiter only offered me stuff that literally had no mention on my resume (PHP came up twice, i recall that) when I already told her "JavaScript is only there because I touched it like once six years ago", so i'm not sure even saying 'sure, send me along' would have any value

still, for the sake of practicing basic interview skills, fair enough i suppose. I told her last time we spoke that I'm actively seeking new work, so I ope she's not just sitting on my resume for lack of permission or some dumb poo poo like that, guess i should check

so here's a different topic: applying internationally, or even just finding jobs to apply for when "where you end up moving to" is low on the priority list. where do you start? i've never not just started by locality and gone from there when it comes to searching out places to apply

there's one specific company in New Zealand i've reached out to; haven't heard anything, though. I certainly wouldn't object to living in NZ, so I suppose I could start there, but then the question I have is, what should i know about even trying to do that as an american?

everything you say is self sabotage. stop looking for reasons why a certain job wouldn't work or you shouldn't do a certain thing. that kind of thinking has hosed your life up. interview for every job, even ones that seem totally irrelevant. your type of thinking would have had me writing MUMPS for the rest of my life because no position out there had tech I was familiar with

get out of the well goon

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

a

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 8, 2020

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

jit bull transpile posted:

everything you say is self sabotage. stop looking for reasons why a certain job wouldn't work or you shouldn't do a certain thing. that kind of thinking has hosed your life up. interview for every job, even ones that seem totally irrelevant. your type of thinking would have had me writing MUMPS for the rest of my life because no position out there had tech I was familiar with

get out of the well goon

Absolutely this. Don't spend time thinking of ways you're not a perfect fit for the job, that's the interviewer's task - you need to be focusing on all the ways you'd be good at it. You're a programmer, and these are programming languages. You know all the basics and if you've used the language at all you're pretty much there. Don't know PHP at all? Spend a few hours getting the hang of the fundamentals and trust that your knowledge of other languages will carry over well. If someone is willing to interview you with no explicit PHP on your CV then let them! The worst that'll happen is they hire you and you'll be a bit slower at coding for a few weeks while you get into the swing of things.

Most programmers are garbage at everything so have the confidence that you'll be a decent candidate compared to the majority of the people they interview.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Progressive JPEG posted:

gonna second just getting some interviews/conversations going, if only because the first impressions of a company or position can often be very wrong

yeah, i gotta echo this

when i was interviewing and a recruiter hit me up for this job, word of mouth from some friends had been "very corporate, not a tech company, prepare for beige everything and a lot of stupid poo poo", and the postings looked similar. i took the interview anyway, just to have some practice/get a safety offer. the interview kind of showed me a different vibe for the place, but even then it wasn't until i actually took the job and started that i saw a lot of those impressions were wrong.

of course, a friend going at the same time took a very corporate job in health care software and now loving hates it.

it all kinda sucks.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

kloa posted:

lurker, but computer-toucher checking in:

taking a year off from working = :discourse:
job hunting after taking a year off = :smith:

yeah looking at a resume with a 1 year gap is a big red flag and i would probably not even consider it if it came my way.

it sucks but i don't have time to waste

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
that's a good question, how much of a gap do y'all consider "safe"?

i've seriously debated taking 6 months off work to travel but it's also something i worry about a bit

i have a friend that did it a few times and didn't seem to hurt his career vOv

i guess i could keep my consulting business active during that time and do a bit of freelance work, so i actually wouldn't have a gap...

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cold on a Cob posted:

i guess i could keep my consulting business active during that time and do a bit of freelance work, so i actually wouldn't have a gap...

do this

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Yeah. At the very least you could pretend you tried to get some open source project off the ground. Just set aside some code on github and commit to it once and awhile, while cruising around the globe. Then when you are job hunting you can say you took time off to pursue a dream of <YET ANOTHER JAVASCRIPT FRAMEWORK> and it won't be a glaring gap on your CV.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
thanks, will do, assuming i can tear myself away from the exciting world of overpaid computer touching

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

After a bunch of recruiters + phone interviews over the past 3 weeks and two in persons this week, I just got a new position at a 33% higher base pay and 2 days/week remote. I have a good feeling the code is gonna be trash, but they've hired me to make it better so I'm looking forward to the challenge I guess. Nabbin my 6th figgie by a big margin, it's great.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

yeah looking at a resume with a 1 year gap is a big red flag and i would probably not even consider it if it came my way.

it sucks but i don't have time to waste

I hoped you were joking, but I know you’re not :wtc:

I have hobbies outside of programming. Sorry I don’t dream in code and spend all of my free time programming :shrug:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Skyl3lazer posted:

After a bunch of recruiters + phone interviews over the past 3 weeks and two in persons this week, I just got a new position at a 33% higher base pay and 2 days/week remote. I have a good feeling the code is gonna be trash, but they've hired me to make it better so I'm looking forward to the challenge I guess. Nabbin my 6th figgie by a big margin, it's great.

:getin:

nice work

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

kloa posted:

I hoped you were joking, but I know you’re not :wtc:

I have hobbies outside of programming. Sorry I don’t dream in code and spend all of my free time programming :shrug:

I should clarify. 1 year gap as in 1 year gap of ANY employment. You can be painting houses during a period of time, I don't care, as long as you're doing something.

CRIP EATIN BREAD fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 30, 2018

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I should clarify. 1 year gap as in 1 year gap of ANY employment. You can be painting houses during a period of time, I don't care, as long as you're doing something.
you're still a tremendous dick.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1cVl7KHsGA&t=74s

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Gazpacho posted:

i'm willing to shoulder that burden when it comes to trying to wade through quality employee prospects. if i had all the time in the world to check out every single possible human for a position, I would. but I don't, and sometimes you need to make sacrifices.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
yeah im nto sure why people are surprised by that. I feel that sounds pretty standard HR practice for america. and america sucks

also as everyone here knows, its your sworn duty to do the least amount of work and maximum loving around. id imagine most jobs have way too many resumes to way through, and it seems like a pretty simple first-pass weeding check that if someone hasnt been employed doing anything, they're probably unhireble to others and will end up being so to you as well most likely. so save that interview time and shitpost instead and throw into the shredder.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I recently came off the longest job of my career, which lasted >5 years until I left voluntarily because upper management deliberately destroyed the team and there was no possibility of shipping another release under the circumstances.

That was five months ago and since then I've been suffering the effects of staying in a job that paid even though it didn't use the latest glitzy skills. and probably also the effects of nitwits who look at those 5 months and go "welp" while ignoring the 5 years before them.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

you already have a job so it doesn't matter if you get it. the worst that happens is you waste the interviewers time and they are a little miffed until they forget about it the next day. either way you get experience interviewing which will help you significantly with your confidence.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

yeah, sorry y'all

it's genuinely astonishing even to me how often i'll just let myself shoot my toe off and not even notice (or even fully rationalize it)

i'll try to take a more shotgun-like approach going forward with the applications

(edit) that said thanks for the interesting info Progressive JPEG, glad that ended up working out for you. that part of my original post was partly true, at least, i'd love to visit NZ

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 30, 2018

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ciaphas posted:

yeah, sorry y'all

it's genuinely astonishing even to me how often i'll just let myself shoot my toe off and not even notice (or even fully rationalize it)

i'll try to take a more shotgun-like approach going forward

(edit) that said thanks for the interesting info Progressive JPEG, glad that ended up working out for you. that part of my original post was partly true, at least, i'd love to visit NZ

We're trying to help you not shoot your foot off op 😙

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cold on a Cob posted:

that's a good question, how much of a gap do y'all consider "safe"?

there should be no gap at all

unemployed applicants are a huge red flag

edit: i say this as someone who has knowingly and deliberately spent six months unemployed before. getting back in the saddle was hard because a non-trivial fraction of employers just bins any resume from an unemployed person. i knew that would happen and had savings to handle a long job hunt

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 30, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Yeah. At the very least you could pretend you tried to get some open source project off the ground. Just set aside some code on github and commit to it once and awhile, while cruising around the globe. Then when you are job hunting you can say you took time off to pursue a dream of <YET ANOTHER JAVASCRIPT FRAMEWORK> and it won't be a glaring gap on your CV.

since your gap is most likely to be flagged and tossed by the applicant management system or hr, this will do you 0 good

by the time a technical person is talking to you or reading your resume you already made it through the eye of the needle

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

hiring is a nightmare and nobody cares about "being a dick" by throwing away a resume

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

since your gap is most likely to be flagged and tossed by the applicant management system or hr, this will do you 0 good

by the time a technical person is talking to you or reading your resume you already made it through the eye of the needle

I guess you can always file for and set up an LLC and then "employ" yourself.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

this is also a common ploy that won't work for two seconds

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

or maybe just say thats what you did during your time off but dont actually do that, the interviewer aint the tax man

on the other hand stumbling your way into setting up a sweet consulting gig for yourself during time off probably wouldnt be the worst thing, so actually do this OP

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

if you want to be trendy just call it 'building a startup' or something bada bing bada boom

Ciaphas posted:

yeah, sorry y'all

i'll try to take a more shotgun-like approach going forward with the applications

:hfive:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i just want to say that work is bullshit and this thread is testament to that

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

lancemantis posted:

yes

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
you know the thing about unemployed devs? THEYRE CHEAP

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lancemantis posted:

yep

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

you know the thing about unemployed devs? THEYRE CHEAP

the expensive part of hiring is almost always the interviews

almost nobody cares what the final cost of employment is, because they're grateful to have found an employee

that's why salaries are negotiable to start with

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"almost nobody" except at least one "somebody" who looks after the budget and whose opinion counts for a whole lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

"almost nobody" except at least one "somebody" who looks after the budget and whose opinion counts for a whole lot!

nope