Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Well said, though I would argue that it is enjoyable for people (like me and probably others in CineD) who adore watching early examples of technical innovations that would become standard filmmaking techniques. Melies, Luimere brothers, Porter, Griffith, etc. I love seeing these guys toy around with the then-brand new medium and do incredible things with it. But I guess that makes me a racist :confused:

No it's the part where you think it's a fun romp that just takes an unfortunate turn that makes you a racist.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

So just confirming. Will I finally stop being racist if I put my copy of Birth of a Nation on it's own Billy bookcase, away from the rest of my films so they don't become contaminated with the racism, with a little placard saying 'I'm not racist', so that people won't think I'm racist?

Edit: Also with specialized lighting to draw attention to my lack of racism shrine.

Not buying it in the first place and leaving it to the people doing actual work to use it as reference material is probably the best move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
A film can be entertaining even if it's reprehensibly immoral garbage. A benefit of being a rational animal is that we can think both of these things at the same time, and thinking it's the former is in no way necessarily denying the latter.

That being said, I've never seen Birth of a Nation. But I do own a copy of Triumph of the Will and can appreciate it as an example of documentary and fascist propaganda while at the same time thinking it's morally bankrupt at best and wishing it had never existed.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I for one am convinced that no one here owns LF films for racist reasons, but for the very cool reason of being a performative nerd who :hmmyes:'s at Nazi propaganda in their own home now and then and hopes people see it on their shelves and thinks they're a very interesting non-racist person.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Origami Dali posted:

A film can be entertaining even if it's reprehensibly immoral garbage. A benefit of being a rational animal is that we can think both of these things at the same time, and thinking it's the former is in no way necessarily denying the latter.

That being said, I've never seen Birth of a Nation. But I do own a copy of Triumph of the Will and can appreciate it as an example of documentary and fascist propaganda while at the same time thinking it's morally bankrupt at best and wishing it had never existed.

*settles into red leather easychair*
*takes a sip of brandy*
*lights cigar*
*presses Play*

"My God, the shot composition."

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Films like Birth of a Nation and Triumph of the Will should be in libraries and/or studied in an educational setting in their proper context (of racist propaganda). As someone said already, you do you, but it's super weird to shell out your own money for your own personal, private copy of racist/white nationalist propaganda. Defend it however you like but it's suspect as hell.

EDIT

If y'all need me, I'll be out in front of my house raising the Confederate Battle Flag. I was born in Virginia so you know, it's only for historical appreciation that I do that.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 30, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's incredible to me that in an internet forum, where you can read the content of someone's posts and rewind the conversation to any point to see what was actually said, people still regularly simply do not address what was written, but rather some invented tangent that they conjured from nowhere.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

To shift the topic to something more pleasant: the William Castle set from Indicator is, in fact, loving stellar. I think it was Egbert who mentioned it earlier, but I just got mine today and it really is impressive. I got #1,520 of 6,000, fwiw. With this and the Night of the Demon set I'm officially an Indicator fan.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Indicator is awesome. Housekeeping, Little Murders, and The 5000 Fingers of Dr T are all deeply excellent movies that I would never have seen if not for them. Plus they're putting out California Split next year!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

trdn89 posted:

Indicator is awesome. Housekeeping, Little Murders, and The 5000 Fingers of Dr T are all deeply excellent movies that I would never have seen if not for them. Plus they're putting out California Split next year!

Don't forget this bad boy: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Lady-from-Shanghai-Blu-ray/162631/

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

If someone had a copy of BOAN that was literally just the film, I agree that would be a weird and maybe concerning thing to have. However, with the documentaries and contemporaneous films included, it's pretty clearly a set that explores the film as a racist historical artifact, fitting its release by a noted film history organization.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheScott2K posted:

*settles into red leather easychair*
*takes a sip of brandy*
*lights cigar*
*presses Play*

"My God, the shot composition."

This was how I watched citizen Kane for the first time at school.

It thought it was gonna be boring poo poo but my god the shots. I was hooked thanks to the cinematography.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

This was how I watched citizen Kane for the first time at school.

It thought it was gonna be boring poo poo but my god the shots. I was hooked thanks to the cinematography.

Citizen Kane is such a great "how the hell did they even do that" film

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Citizen Kane is a film that basically everyone that studies film ends up owning a copy of.

For an assessment a few years ago, a class of 16 year-olds I taught had to analyse a scene from a film, so I used Citizen Kane and the breakfast table montage. It was fascinating to watch, because I started with about 25 or 26 kids all bitching and moaning about watching a "movie that's old and gay and not even in colour" to a room full of kids absorbed by the film, and then seeing them all go "oh come ON!" at the end.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Citizen Kane totally works in 2018. The way Welles sidesteps so many of the things that age films of that era is just incredible.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

Citizen Kane is a film that basically everyone that studies film ends up owning a copy of.

For an assessment a few years ago, a class of 16 year-olds I taught had to analyse a scene from a film, so I used Citizen Kane and the breakfast table montage. It was fascinating to watch, because I started with about 25 or 26 kids all bitching and moaning about watching a "movie that's old and gay and not even in colour" to a room full of kids absorbed by the film, and then seeing them all go "oh come ON!" at the end.

You know, I must have seen it at least ten times and I've never owned it. I really should get around to it.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Arrow in February:
Horror Express
The Fifth Cord
The Possessed

US Only: Audition

UK Only: Before We Vanish

More Mill Creek VHS slipcovers:
Sheena
Songwriter
Neighbors
The Legend of Billie Jean

Scorpion are releasing a movie called Robot Holocaust next year. Don’t know what it’s about but I will gladly blind buy with a title like that.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Vagabundo posted:

For all of its accolades and clout and reputation as being the greatest (American) film of all time, scholars and critics and the like never seem to point out that Citizen Kane is also entertaining as gently caress.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Liar Lyre posted:

US Only: Audition

The Japanese movie?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Liar Lyre posted:

More Mill Creek VHS slipcovers:

The Legend of Billie Jean

I wish this wasn't Mill Creek

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Song of the South is racist but I like it. I’m sad that film is destined to the dumps :(

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I think the thing is that anyone who owned BOAN for historical or educational purposes (for example research, if you weren’t funded and were putting together reference on your own) would be able to offer a pretty quick and good explanation for it rather than offer some lame “so I can’t like film history huh?!” excuse.

e: plenty said already about it, so i trimmed this.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 1, 2018

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Liar Lyre posted:

Arrow in February:
Horror Express

Holy gently caress yes

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

TheScott2K posted:

The Japanese movie?

Yup! Looks to be the same thing as their previous UK release, just region A this time. Big upgrade for the US. Shout did the last one back in 2009.

Speaking of Arrow though, I just got my first sets from them this week (Killer Klowns, Children of Corn and a few others) and my God are they nice sets. Like a Criterion release, they feel like a premium product. Can’t wait to get more.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

caligulamprey posted:

For all of its accolades and clout and reputation as being the greatest (American) film of all time, scholars and critics and the like never seem to point out that Citizen Kane is also entertaining as gently caress.

I mean, that's one of the main reasons why it's considered the greatest.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Liar Lyre posted:

Arrow in February:
Horror Express

Horror Express is a really fun bonkers movie with a bizarre third act and my favorite Telly Savalas appearance.

quote:

Scorpion are releasing a movie called Robot Holocaust next year. Don’t know what it’s about but I will gladly blind buy with a title like that.
I assume it’s the same one MST3k riffed way back in season 1?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
If Birth of a Nation only has a legitimate reason to be viewed/owned by racists, anime is purely for pedophiles

E: come at me, mods

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I, Butthole posted:

If Birth of a Nation only has a legitimate reason to be viewed/owned by racists, anime is purely for pedophiles

I mean...

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The perfect compromise here would be to create an anime version of Birth Of A Nation

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

I, Butthole posted:

I not even in the "there is no reason to watch Birth of a Nation" camp, but this is an incredibly stupid comparison.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I Before E posted:

The perfect compromise here would be to create an anime version of Birth Of A Nation

Does this count?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_Formars#Anime

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

I not even in the "there is no reason to watch Birth of a Nation" camp, but this is an incredibly stupid comparison.

Almost as if blanket statements are a stupid thing to begin with, hmmm

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Not enough, this won't be solved until we have Nathan Bedford Forrest having a mech suit fight with Abraham Lincoln, who is voiced by a Bill Clinton impersonator, which culminates in the knights of the Ku Klux Klan, the valiant veterans of the Confederacy, and a token Pure White Woman doing a White Power Spirit Bomb that reveals Lincoln to be a black man in disguise, and also it becomes the highest rated anime of the season because as Goblin Slayer shows, the anime community gravitates to the most grotesque show available. Then we'll have... something else to talk about at least.

なぜリル・ウェインはその言葉を言うことができますが、私はできないのですか?(Why Is It That Lil Wayne Can Say That Word, But I Can't?), coming to Crunchyroll Spring 2019

I Before E fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 1, 2018

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I haven't been following this thread for a very long time, but long enough to know that 70+ new posts in one day means one of the following:

1. Who cares/doesn't care about packaging?
2. Is 4K worth the money?
3. Some obscure boutique label just re-released a bunch of old horror films from the 1940s

Is it racist to own...? is a nice change of pace.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

People are so sensitive these days, we're almost at the point where owning Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure makes you a homophobe.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Boinks posted:

People are so sensitive these days, we're almost at the point where owning Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure makes you a homophobe.

The fact that Bill and Ted don't have a single sex scene together is homophobic.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
its getting so bad i cant even laugh at these fuckin' faggots anymore goddamn pc kids

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Nihonniboku posted:

The fact that Bill and Ted don't have a single sex scene together is homophobic.

Wait... They don't? The copy I own does...

It stars Keanu Reams and Alex Widehole and George All-in.

We're talking about the same movie, right? The erotic time traveling adventures of two slackers?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Boinks posted:

No but it is pretty weird if that joke doesn't make you cringe.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The second movie is called Bill and Ted's BJ, after all.

fake edit: Fillin' Ted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Dilz And Head's Sexcellent Assventure