Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I've just been notified of the English release of volume 7: Tempest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Finally going through the original series, for real this time. Never made it past episode 3 or 4 before but I really want to experience the series. I'm on 6,and Greenhill is telling yang about when he saved her as a teen. The flashback animation is noticeably different, is that a recurring thing in the show?

Edit: did Schonkopf just wear a full face mask that only adds a mustache? The sheer genius of it all!

Kingtheninja fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 29, 2018

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
IIRC that's because some of the original cels were lost, it's a pretty common complaint. I hope you watched Overture for a New War this time around, it's a much, much better version of the first two episodes that got me on board when originally I hated the show. It really is night and day, or at least it was for me.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I've seen comparisons of the new style shots and the originals, and the original animation usually looked really rough with off model characters and just bizarre looks.

Granted, the new stuff doesn't fit in at all either, but you just have to accept with this show that you're going to get a mediocre presentation. I think if they did cel rather than digital ink and paint it might have fit in better, but here we are.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the main problem with the original animation is that it just doesn't hold up to the remaster in visual fidelity. having seen some of the awful digital animation in the remaster i opted to avoid it, but the original picture quality overall is at a midpoint between vhs and dvd, which may be a bigger turnoff for some.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

dogsicle posted:

the main problem with the original animation is that it just doesn't hold up to the remaster in visual fidelity. having seen some of the awful digital animation in the remaster i opted to avoid it, but the original picture quality overall is at a midpoint between vhs and dvd, which may be a bigger turnoff for some.

For me, the animation reminds me of a lot of the cartoons I grew up watching, so it's a nice nostalgic thing for me. But for modern audiences, I'm not so sure.

I wonder what defines the look of these shows. What makes a cartoon from the late 80s and early 90s stand out compared to one from the 70s and even the mid 90s.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Yeesh, the collectors box is large enough to house my cat. Guess it's time to start a rewatch.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I am really digging the show, by the subtitles can be really hard to read at times.

The biggest issue is how dense they are and how fast they go by. It doesn't help that the dialog is full of double talk and philosophy and political maneuvering.

Am I the only one noticing this?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Which show? It was never an issue for me. Are you watching the central anime ld / dvd / br subs, or the new show on like crunchyroll?

There are some pretty awful old subs out there for the ova if you picked it up off some public tracker.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I'm watching the Sentai version, so the official translations.

There's two lines I generally find difficult - the ones where they mention the name of some government agency and it's long, but the solution there is to train myself to get over getting caught up on those lines.

The other ones are the fast moving discussions that deal with all these concepts. Part of it is that the fine details are important, so you need to keep up with the fast moving subtitles.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm watching the Sentai version, so the official translations.

There's two lines I generally find difficult - the ones where they mention the name of some government agency and it's long, but the solution there is to train myself to get over getting caught up on those lines.

The other ones are the fast moving discussions that deal with all these concepts. Part of it is that the fine details are important, so you need to keep up with the fast moving subtitles.

I think it helps to just listen to the Japanese. Most of their subjects happen at the end of their sentences so most of the conversation happens from the get go. Gloss over the titles and formalities and read the second half of each English sentence and it should fit much more easily.

Honestly, this type of show lines up really well with old sci-fi shows like OG Star Trek. Turn it on and make some dinner. The plot is deep but you shouldn't fret over it. Watch it a few times and the details will fill in.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I finished the main show and I have two major complaints:

1. Not enough Mecklinger. Dude is loving amazing and basically when he's not on screen, every character should be going "where's Mecklinger?"

2. What happens to Julian's cat? He just stops appearing in the show with no explanation.

What I really wanted was Mecklinger and the cat going on interstellar journeys.

But aside from that, I need to get my friends to watch this show. It's just such a great and compelling story.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Agreed on Mecklinger. I think the cat goes to live with Cazellnu's family, and Charlotte takes care of it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Who was it that Mecklinger tried to teach art appreciation when they weren’t at war and getting bored

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Cemetry Gator posted:

1. Not enough Mecklinger. Dude is loving amazing and basically when he's not on screen, every character should be going "where's Mecklinger?"
Same, but for Chung Wu-Cheng. Like, where's my episode of Admiral Wu-Cheng visiting bakeries and appreciating bread?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Who was it that Mecklinger tried to teach art appreciation when they weren’t at war and getting bored

Probably Bittenfield, but none of the others were particularly interested in art.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Just so everyone knows, VRV now has the original LotGH.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Wasn't Mecklinger teaching Reinhard about art? And then Reinhard kept trying to drag everyone to operas and stuff?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Also, Volume 8 of the books is due for release on December 18.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

CrazySalamander posted:

Just so everyone knows, VRV now has the original LotGH.

I had never heard of this service. Here's the page. Seems to be in the paid tier.

The site seems to have a bunch of whimsical categories on the front page, and they filed Cromartie High School under "shows with weirdly hot robots," so I guess they can't be all bad.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's related to Crunchyroll and aggregates a bunch of different content providers together. LoGH made it on there because Crunchyroll has partnered with HiDive, the Sentai Filmworks-affiliated streaming service. Sentai is the one with the LoGH license so it would stay with them if, say, something happened to VRV or this CR/HiDive partnership.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Bongo Bill posted:

Also, Volume 8 of the books is due for release on December 18.

It boggles the mind that we're actually getting a full translation of this book series. I remember being a teenager and being sad because I'd never get to read them.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
They are also available on audiobook.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bongo Bill posted:

I had never heard of this service. Here's the page. Seems to be in the paid tier.

The site seems to have a bunch of whimsical categories on the front page, and they filed Cromartie High School under "shows with weirdly hot robots," so I guess they can't be all bad.

Some of their collections are smaller than the main service, like Shudder on vrv doesn't have scanners but the main does. Outside of that it's a good deal

You can also watch my brother my brother and me on it

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah, it’s pretty random what they have. For example they have every season of every stargate series and all the movies.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Vrv sometimes goes into buffering hell for no reason, but other than that the quality and subtitles are pretty good, I like some of their exclusives like bravest warriors from the creator of adventure time.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Hey all, anyone got opinions/words on how the books stack up? I'm much more of a reader so I was thinking I'd just pick up the translated books.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
They’re not super well written or anything, but they’re fun pulp sci-fi in the same sort of detached, slightly “documentary” tone as the OVA. Quick easy reads, if you like a good space war/intrigue story that’s exactly what you’ll get. The whole series is not yet available in translation as far as I know though.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Translation is up to book eight of ten, I've enjoyed them. Some serious feels scenes in the latest that I didn't think would hit me as hard on the page as the screen but they did.

The show is a very, very direct adaptation so you aren't really missing out on anything specific if you don't read them though.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Finally got a chance to watch Das Neue Showzen, and while a mixed bag for various reasons already mentioned, I just flat out dig having more LOGH on my old TV box :cool:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im on episode 20 of the series, holy gently caress its good

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

eonwe posted:

Episode 20?

Buckle up.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

eonwe posted:

:justpost: all the reactions you want, you'll probably be the impetus for a bunch of people starting rewatches.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I expected to go in and just be kinda bored with it, but I instantly liked the characters.

So far things I have thought were neat:

Yang coming back and getting roped into beating the war drums by accident / the PKC attacking Yang
Yang taking Iserlohn by using his head
Reinhard refusing to take a promotion so he could pick up Oberstein
Jessica refusing to use Yang in their peace party stuff
the Empire abandoning their planets and stealing all the food to force the Free Planet Alliance to support all of them
all the prisoner exchange interactions
The Heinssen riot where everyone died

obviously Ovlesser got did pretty dirty too

other than that I'm just surprised at how good the ship battles are in a show this old. there aren't even a lot of modern shows that give you the sense of scale the logh has so far

e: holy poo poo lol this thread is older than my account. its old enough to get a learners permit

eonwe fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 24, 2019

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Buckle up, the show just keeps getting better from there

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ovlesser fighting with a big rear end axe in the middle of a giant space battle was weird and also cool as hell

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yesssss

I love that part

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
What was the verdict on the new series? I watched a couple of episodes but I didn't love certain character redesigns and didn't end up continuing while it was airing. Tempted to go back and watch it through now.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

It was okay. I really liked the music. I think it’s not complete, because some movies are supposed to come out to finish the season 1 storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

New series was pretty enjoyable overall. But as the person said there are movies that are needed to finish off the first major arc