Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i clipped inside of a station and got stuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
how the heck do i claim the derelict cerberus?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Aww my AMD 7950 can't really run the game but on low. Guess I'll have to download it on my laptop when it comes.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

TwoDice posted:

According to the loading screen tooltip I just got, you have to bring a spare pilot to claim a abandoned ship.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

sandoz posted:

you mean dha'ak

Feel like this pro-post was overlooked

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

AlexanderCA posted:

According to the loading screen tooltip I just got, you have to bring a spare pilot to claim a abandoned ship.

I've got a pilot standing behind me but Claim is still greyed out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I struggled for 3 hours and feel like I learned a lot, but not enough either. Going to wait for some guides and mods to pop up that help streamline X4 and make it easier to play. This game has a super steep learning curve, maybe more so then X3 even.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I actually killed a Khaak ship.

With help. It took forever, got something from it too

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

PHOOsun posted:

I have hired a pilot for my ship, their 1 task is docking with stations. I am having a hard time even locating the landing bays on some of these extra large size stations. Like I will fly around doing space things myself, but as soon as I have to drive to dock I'll get up and order the pilot to dock with station cause I'll be damned if I can spot the landing bays.

Also : scanning the outside of a station only to fail to recognise that the wall I'm trying to scan is a xl size ship and being caught in its drive bubble and dragged away from the actual station when it moves has caused me more than one double take tonight.

Dude if you hit shift+D you get green lights leading you into the dock no matter where youre at. Switching seats and having to watch the lovely AI figure it out for you every time you dock sounds 100x worse

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I struggled for 3 hours and feel like I learned a lot, but not enough either. Going to wait for some guides and mods to pop up that help streamline X4 and make it easier to play. This game has a super steep learning curve, maybe more so then X3 even.

i made it 118 minutes and decided that since I had closed the game at that exact time, i'd return it and maybe try again later

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
So how does one use 'Long Range Scanning'. The tutorials all stop halfway before completing so I don't know what to do to make this longer, more rangey scanning to work out.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Airspace posted:

So how does one use 'Long Range Scanning'. The tutorials all stop halfway before completing so I don't know what to do to make this longer, more rangey scanning to work out.

You hold down no more than 2 seconds or it fizzles out, I think it puts the question marks on your map for you to fly to, and it scans in front of you, i think???

How do I know what is contraband? apparently I was carrying some and I didn't even realize the police were talking to me and then a station went hostile and blasted me. I didn't have any cargo so it had to be something in my inventory I guess.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

mods changed my name posted:

How do I know what is contraband? apparently I was carrying some and I didn't even realize the police were talking to me and then a station went hostile and blasted me. I didn't have any cargo so it had to be something in my inventory I guess.

If stuff in your inventory or cargo have yellow text, it's illegal somewhere. The in game info should say who doesn't like your space weed.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

REDjackeT posted:

If stuff in your inventory or cargo have yellow text, it's illegal somewhere. The in game info should say who doesn't like your space weed.

OK, it must have been something I sucked up off some raider dudes then.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Is there a way to self-destruct ships? My sacrificial ship for a certain plot mission is now stuck in some geometry and won't die.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
well, I got 3 hours logged in today. That's about the end of my accomplishments with this game so far!

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Just poked my head into the game this evening and I think I'm in love.

For reference if anyone cares: i5-4690 and GTX 960 runs like butter on ultra settings.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone figured out how to automate a mining ship?

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008

TwoDice posted:

I'm also stuck on this, it doesn't appear to have a scan point for me to claim it with like it did a fighter I had bail earlier.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Anyone know where to find a black market dealer? I got a bunch of hot gear that I need to find a taker for before I get scanned by the po po!

Performance wise, 6700k at 4.5ghz, GTX1080, 4k gives me around 60 fps in uncluttered space, 30 to 50fps in smokey asteroid space, and like 30 to 40 in stations, all settings maxed.

I think I should turn that ssao off and maybe even soft shadows too.

Playing it on a TV from the couch with a controller, but still need kb and mouse nearby to really make it work. Mouse especially for map screen.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So has anyone figured out how the console works and if you can enable no clip because i'm trapped in a space suit inside a station.

Repaired the thing that spawned in there though!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

So has anyone figured out how the console works and if you can enable no clip because i'm trapped in a space suit inside a station.

Repaired the thing that spawned in there though!

Wondering about how to access the console and what the commands are if such a thing exist.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Hexenritter posted:

Relatedly, I have "fire primary at cursor" on RMB, but that's also apparently irrevocably bound to "open context menu" too, which can get old fast when I'm shooting at bads. You can't bind LMB to weapons either. My secondary fire (scan, etc) is set to mouse4 on my g500, comfortably under my thumb, and I removed the shift requirement from MMB for freelook.

As someone who doesn't play with a full keyboard (mini one-handed keyboard + mmo mouse) being unable to rebind things is a dealbreaker. Guess I'll sit on this for a while until the inevitable release of xXD4nkNinja420Xx's Rebind Mod and a few bug fix patches go through.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Radio Free Kobold posted:

i just started the game. i'm loving around in travel mode and i got lost and set a waypoint back to the starting station. now every time i open my map my distance from it doubles. like i started maybe 100km away and now i'm over 60 thousand km away and i'm not even in the same loving sector anymore

what kind of bug even is this

edit: and now i'm back home? what the poo poo?

Just had this glitch as well, and my map showed me way out of bounds. Eventually i appeared back in a nearby system, but now my map is totally hosed up on all of my saves no matter how far back I go. Graphical bug, a bunch of lines, are all across my map and I can no longer see waypoint lines on my map which is a pretty drat big deal because otherwise I have no idea where im supposed to be most of the time. Already restarted and tried all my saves. Looks like best case scenario a reinstall will fix it, or its a new character for me. :(

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Anticheese posted:

Is there a way to self-destruct ships? My sacrificial ship for a certain plot mission is now stuck in some geometry and won't die.

SAVE EDITING FOR DUMMIES, DAY ZERO EDITION

X4 save files are .gzipped .xml files (lol xml) under ./user/Egosoft/X4/a number/save. Extract the file, open it with Notepad++ or similar robust editing software, and search for
code:
owner="player"
Because XML is hierarchical, editors like Notepad++ will automatically collapse things for you, so you can selectively nuke whatever it is that's annoying you. Or add credits or whatever near the top.

However, this marks your save as modified, so I guess caveat emptor. :shrug:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

is this game good?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

queeb posted:

do lockbox and resource location missions, they give a poo poo ton of money. i did a couple of those in second contact II and bankrolled a S and M trade ship, now they are doing auto trading runs.

So I found a lock box that wildly spins and had EIGHT locks. Clearly not even a starter pulse laser can possibly open it without destroying it first.

"Time for that suit laser I bought to shine!-oh wow, really?" Turns out the locks are immune to your suit laser. But the crate itself will still take 1% hull damage if you miss the locks in your dozens of shots at them :v: However, the repair laser ALSO worked on the crate!

Murphy's law seemingly thwarted by the fact I could now obsessively hop out and repair the loot crate if I missed. My ship's pulse laser shot off the 8 locks perfectly, releasing my prize.

Active Mines. :shepface: Mines I wasn't allowed to target via T for 'target in front of me', or with hostile targeting (they were not listed as hostile because ???).

Thankfully I had disabled speed loss on menus, and slammed full reverse while targeting the remaining mines via the map so my pulse laser would actually gimbal track. Came out with only 73% hull on my little baby Vanguard. instead of "Blown to bits" from however many clipped me. Note to self, remember to flail at the "next object" button in future. That would be much smarter.

And yet. Even knowing my EVA would have instantly died. I'm still more annoyed that the suit laser doesn't work on locks :downs:

I'm in for a wild loving ride.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 1, 2018

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

I won X4? Stowed away in a ship, stole the guy's spacesuit, got left out in the middle of space.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
This game is so much fun. Really everything that an X3 sequel should have been. They really did a good job, and between expansions and mods, this game is going to be THE space sim.

Btw how do you unlock lockboxes? Just shoot them with regular ship weapons?

so far I've just been a traveling repairman. I specialize in satellite repairs and data leaks, and make decent money doing that. Also it seems that data leaks missions give a choice. You can either do the mission properly and repair the wires with your suit. Or scan the data leak with your ship and instantly fail the mission, but have a chance of unlocking a free blueprint, or getting a (usually criminal faction) missions, and things like that.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Also, what's the controller of choice, hotass as usual?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Google Butt posted:

Also, what's the controller of choice, hotass as usual?

For X, mouse and keyboard is usually the default, with HOTAS and gamepad a close second. X doesn’t have the combat fidelity of E:D, but requires a lot of faffing about in menus, so a large joystick gets in the way.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So for the amount of time I played today, I had a lot of fun! I may have hosed up and put my starter ship into the blender while buying two useless ships in the process because... I can't seem to get Boost working on either of the new ships I bought. How do I get the boosters enabled for new ships?
Edit: ... they suddenly started working! Whatever.

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Btw how do you unlock lockboxes? Just shoot them with regular ship weapons?
Yes!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 1, 2018

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Managed to get some credits scraped together but don't really know how to go about starting a Trader ship to make me some money yet.

Scanning stations for those hidden signals is also really cool, I just wish I had a better understanding of how it worked, what kind of stations I should scan, and how I can do it besides just aimlessly flying around it for 10 minutes :(

(help, how do I do these things?)

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Someone apparently mapped all the accessible non-Xenon sectors already.

https://imgur.com/a/fdX1wo6#ttNC5dK

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Hexenritter posted:

Someone apparently mapped all the accessible non-Xenon sectors already.

https://imgur.com/a/fdX1wo6#ttNC5dK

Look further down in the comments, there's another link to a more complete map.
Edit: here https://roguey.co.uk/x4/universe/

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
So, 30 pages later, is this game as good so far as OP sells it as being? I love X3, but I'm also kind of sick of it. I really don't want to buy another Rebirth, though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Highways and travel mode makes it hilariously easy to be a smuggler in this game. Moving too fast for the police to scan ya.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TwoDice posted:

The only way I got it to work for larger ships was you need to set your crew up as marines, then get really close and claim it from your ship, it launches a torpedo to board it, but you have to do it point blank or it bugs out.

I think it's unintended tbh because it also damages the ship when you do it.

Cardiovorax posted:

So, 30 pages later, is this game as good so far as OP sells it as being? I love X3, but I'm also kind of sick of it. I really don't want to buy another Rebirth, though.

It has some really stupid bugs that will hopefully be worked out quickly but there is a really good X game under there, I think.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 1, 2018

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Cardiovorax posted:

As usual with the series, wait around 6 month for major bug fixes and then take another look. Currently there are some really weird and annoying bugs happening, so I would not be surprised if there are also gamebreaking ones you only discover when having put way too many hours into the game. It's closer to what X3 delivered as it is to Rebirth though. Still riddled with extremely questionable design choices of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That's basically how any game release works these days, so good enough for me!