Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wrap a tenderloin in bacon and smoke it at 250-275, until its 150 or so, and it is amazing. You can stuff it with just about anything you can imagine also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Sorry, it was indeed loin, not tenderloin.

You can make your own Canadian Bacon, which comes out a whole lot better than store bought stuff.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I have a prime rib roast drying in the fridge. Is it worth smoking prime rib, or should I just roast it as normal?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Jan posted:

I have a prime rib roast drying in the fridge. Is it worth smoking prime rib, or should I just roast it as normal?
When a rib roast takes on too much smoke, it develops flavors that, IMO, mask the best flavors of the beef, but a little bit of smoke gives it an awesome boost, especially if you obliterate the outside with salt. I'll usually give it 2 hours of smoke and finish in the oven.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

a little Friends-giving action going this afternoon, so this guy just went on the PBC

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Jan posted:

How do they want their beef done?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

I. M. Gei posted:

Is it even possible to smoke a chicken or turkey without the whole thing turning black on the outside and looking burned?

Of course, of the dozens of chickens and turkeys I've smoked over the years not one has looked burnt. They're all a beautiful deep reddish-brown. The only time I get some blackening is when I throw a chicken breast-side down directly over the coals to really supercrisp that skin.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
here's that turkey after ~4 hours on the PBC.

this is how most poultry I've grilled/smoked/PBC'ed comes out- decidedly not burnt looking

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I suspect mine ended up pretty burny looking thanks to too much sugar in the rub, but I'd have to do more for science to really see.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Vulture Culture posted:

When a rib roast takes on too much smoke, it develops flavors that, IMO, mask the best flavors of the beef, but a little bit of smoke gives it an awesome boost, especially if you obliterate the outside with salt. I'll usually give it 2 hours of smoke and finish in the oven.

Yeah, that's a good point. We ended up smoking for 1 hour and finishing in the oven at 225. With a black pepper and rosemary rub, the bark was amazing, slightly reminiscent of corned beef...

It was good, but you're right, the prime rib itself stands out on its own and probably doesn't gain as much from smoking.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Looks like Home Depot might be not carrying my go-to Royal Oak Lump Charcoal anymore.

What's another recommendation for a BGE-style smoker/cooker? I'm in SoCal which isn't exactly prime BBQ country so bonus points if it's available nationwide.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you’re a costco member the Vision grills are basically a BGE with all the major accessories for half the cost. Other warehouse clubs may have similar Kamado style things.

Restaurant Depot has Royal Oak all the time in my areas and has the best price outside of HD Lowe’s holiday weekend sales.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sorry I meant charcoal for that type of cooker — ie no briquettes. I have my bge.

Good idea about Restaurant Depot but don’t you need to be a reseller to get a membership?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
made a sammich

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

sellouts posted:

Sorry I meant charcoal for that type of cooker — ie no briquettes. I have my bge.

Good idea about Restaurant Depot but don’t you need to be a reseller to get a membership?
Many national Restaurant Depot locations honor the Kansas City Barbecue Society membership and will offer their own membership to KCBS members.

Are you living someplace that doesn't have many other hardware stores? Every local mom-and-pop I check around Long Island has a ton of charcoal options, always including lump, and most of them also carry a few varieties of smoke woods. If your options are really limited to just big-box (I lived in Watertown, NY once where this was definitely the case), the Frontier stuff that BJ's sells isn't awful.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Veritek83 posted:

here's that turkey after ~4 hours on the PBC.

this is how most poultry I've grilled/smoked/PBC'ed comes out- decidedly not burnt looking

The PBC is so good with birds. I actually modded mine specifically for Turkeys. I put another grate in about a foot higher than the coals so that the turkey juices could drip into a pan and I could use it for gravy.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I tried that once and the drippings were much too smokey for me.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
So I'm trying to make some smoked salt and smoked peppercorns as gifts and after 6 hours on the smoker neither are taking on much flavor or aroma. I'm using a Weber Smokey Mountain and apple wood. Both are in chafing pans and I stirred about every hour for six hours. I'm thinking of trying it again but with some moisture in the pans. Any other suggestions or tips?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

lifts cats over head posted:

So I'm trying to make some smoked salt and smoked peppercorns as gifts and after 6 hours on the smoker neither are taking on much flavor or aroma. I'm using a Weber Smokey Mountain and apple wood. Both are in chafing pans and I stirred about every hour for six hours. I'm thinking of trying it again but with some moisture in the pans. Any other suggestions or tips?

When I did my smoked sea salt a couple years ago I just put shallow pans with salt in with my other things I was smoking but it seemed like I had to put the same salt in during multiple smokes to get a good color and smokey taste. I think most of the lighter smoke flavors like Apple were in for close to 12+ hours total. Sriracha with Hickory smoke was good and probably took the least amount of time for both color and taste of smoke.

Edit: I was using a MES without a AMAZEN at the time tho so it might be quicker now that I have the AMAZEN.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
If you don't figure this out, you can just make some taco bell salt.

https://skillet.lifehacker.com/make-taco-bell-salt-with-leftover-sauce-packets-1828393224

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Question about re-heating brisket:

I want to smoke a brisket for a party next Sunday, but I don't really want to be at the whim of the gods when it comes to timing. My thinking is that I smoke it to finish sometimes Saturday afternoon/evening, and then cut it into a few pieces, vacuum seal it, ice bath, fridge. On Sunday I'd reheat it for an hour (2 hours?) at 200F with my SV circulator.

Am I going to get weird texture or anything? I'm sure I'll lose some juice to the process, even if I'm gentle with the vacuum sealing, but I can live with that.

E: https://www.foodfirefriends.com/how-to-reheat-brisket/#how-to-reheat-brisket-using-sous-vide-technique makes it sound like I'm probably going to want to have it reheat for like 6 hours. I wonder if I should just leave it at temp in the SV overnight instead. Will it get mushy?

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 12, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Subjunctive posted:

Question about re-heating brisket:

I want to smoke a brisket for a party next Sunday, but I don't really want to be at the whim of the gods when it comes to timing. My thinking is that I smoke it to finish sometimes Saturday afternoon/evening, and then cut it into a few pieces, vacuum seal it, ice bath, fridge. On Sunday I'd reheat it for an hour (2 hours?) at 200F with my SV circulator.

Am I going to get weird texture or anything? I'm sure I'll lose some juice to the process, even if I'm gentle with the vacuum sealing, but I can live with that.

Why not smoke a couple hours then immediately begin the SV and just let it go until you feel like eating sunday? Just skip the ice/fridge.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hasselblad posted:

Why not smoke a couple hours then immediately begin the SV and just let it go until you feel like eating sunday? Just skip the ice/fridge.

Hmm yes. Or I could SV first and then smoke, even. It looks like I want 24-36 hours for the SV, which works out OK for the timing I have in mind.

Thank you!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm yes. Or I could SV first and then smoke, even. It looks like I want 24-36 hours for the SV, which works out OK for the timing I have in mind.

Thank you!

I bought myself my wife a Joules SV for xmas and cannot wait to use it just for that purpose. I would be interested in finding out which would have a better finished product: SV and smoke or smoke then SV. The former would be better for bark I guess but some I spoke with say the smoke would not penetrate as much on cooked meat. However with SV I suspect that post SV smoke would have no issues as it really has no crust to block it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Thank you!

Hasselblad posted:

I bought myself my wife a Joules SV for xmas and cannot wait to use it just for that purpose. I would be interested in finding out which would have a better finished product: SV and smoke or smoke then SV. The former would be better for bark I guess but some I spoke with say the smoke would not penetrate as much on cooked meat. However with SV I suspect that post SV smoke would have no issues as it really has no crust to block it.

If you SV it first, you're not going to get any smoke absorption, and no bark creation. it's not bark blocking smoke that prevents the absorption, it's the meat itself no longer absorbing it. I assume due to the meat fibers squeezing OUT liquid post 140f. I honestly think that smoke to done, ice bath, SV reheat for 2 hours at 190 will be the best option.

You're gonna love the Joule. It's freaking GREAT.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I’ve done pork butts twice doing ~40 hours SV followed by smoke. I got some bark with a couple hours (especially since you don’t need to go low temp for this application) and my guests noted some smoky flavor. Could have been a placebo effect though.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

Thank you!

This is basically the Serious Eats method.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/08/sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket-texas-recipe.html

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

If you SV it first, you're not going to get any smoke absorption, and no bark creation. it's not bark blocking smoke that prevents the absorption, it's the meat itself no longer absorbing it. I assume due to the meat fibers squeezing OUT liquid post 140f. I honestly think that smoke to done, ice bath, SV reheat for 2 hours at 190 will be the best option.

You're gonna love the Joule. It's freaking GREAT.

Listen to this person.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Smoked tomatoes question. Twice now I've tried to make a smoked bloody mary mix and both times i've been met with very off putting flavors. First trial smoked a can of whole peeled roma tomatoes over applewood for about 2 hours. The second attempt I roasted them first and then cold smoked them with apple pellets for about 2-3 hours. Both times they created very off putting flavors. Could it be the aluminum pans I'm using? Right now that's my only theory.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

this is possible, aluminum pans aren't the greatest to cook tomatoes / tomato sauce due to the aciditiy, maybe try again with a "non-reactive" pan.

I'm assuming it's not an anodized pan, you're just using the toss away aluminum pans which are probably leeching poo poo flavors into tomatoes that are being cooked for multiple hours in them.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 17, 2018

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Smoked tomatoes question. Twice now I've tried to make a smoked bloody mary mix and both times i've been met with very off putting flavors. First trial smoked a can of whole peeled roma tomatoes over applewood for about 2 hours. The second attempt I roasted them first and then cold smoked them with apple pellets for about 2-3 hours. Both times they created very off putting flavors. Could it be the aluminum pans I'm using? Right now that's my only theory.

You're doing it all wrong. Here is what you should be doing. Spoilered because this is a super secret recipe.

Step 1 Take those tomatoes and throw them in the trash can

Step 2 Get yourself a nice Brisket or even a Pork Butt

Step 3 Smoke the MEAT!

Step 4 Profit ??? Eat said meat and forget about those veggies.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
honestly thats probably a good time and place for liquid smoke

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

There's a guy at our local farmer's market who sells smoked spices. They are incredible on roasted tomatoes and lend a really nice smokey flavor. Maybe just try that instead of bothering with smoking the tomatoes.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Stop smoking lovely canned tomatoes, use fresh ones and cut them in half, and stop cooking acidic food in aluminum.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I think I want a fan controller for my WSM 22.5. Debating between a PartyQ and a DigiQ, but I don't need the extra probe in the DigiQ. Any reason to choose the DigiQ since it costs an extra 100 bucks?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Canuckistan posted:

I think I want a fan controller for my WSM 22.5. Debating between a PartyQ and a DigiQ, but I don't need the extra probe in the DigiQ. Any reason to choose the DigiQ since it costs an extra 100 bucks?

I've been tossing this idea around as well. Looking forward to any feedback!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Canuckistan posted:

There is no such thing as no need for additional probes.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I already have a maverick dual probe remote thermometer. I'm pretty much OK on probes..

So, more fan talk - I really like the mobile aspect of the PartyQ, however being in Canada I've done my fair share of sub-freezing cooks and I wonder if the PartyQ fan is up to the task of the extra work.

I also wonder how important the self-learning feature is of the DigiQ. The ability for the controller to learn your smoker and adapt seems like a gimmick, but maybe it's a great thing?

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 17, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

bewbies posted:

honestly thats probably a good time and place for liquid smoke

Heh. Honestly was going to say the same thing but figured I'd get crucified for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Cholula has a smoked chipotle hot sauce that's perfect for bloody mary's.