Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

It's really just supposed to be a way to build roads through bits of territory that are hampering an army advance, but that comes up so rarely that they are pointless. The AI isn't good enough tactically for Engineers to ever be necessary, and honestly given how large armies become continent sized with 1UPT I don't see things like forts or silos being all that strategic.

I have used silos to extend the reach of my nukes when I carpet bombed America with nuclear warheads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

fridge corn posted:

Yeah I get all that I'm just not sure I like it compared to how builders always worked

I feel like I have to constantly be spamming builders

I've always hated the way builders work, I'd much rather a Call to Power type of system where you can allocate public works and then spend X public works a turn improvable via technology or investment in public works. In a civ4 system this wouldn't work very well because at that you are just using the sliders to exchange Research/Tax/Culture/Espionage/Public works, but I could see see some other type of system whereyou exchange Hammers for public works, maybe by a building or something. You could even have builders just go obsolete once you discover civil service, and then the only thing that contributes to public works budget would be city population, with various technologies that increase the radius you can build public works in, and how much public works you can spend in a turn empire-wide.

I just want something better managing physical units for mid-game city improvements.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
watch moais secretly add to the global warming counter and people will build them and wonder why everything is going so wrong in the classical era

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Secretly? It literally says you have to deforest the hell out of a place to build them.

Edit: Oh that's going to be fun

quote:

• Pillaging a Dam causes the river to flood.
  • There is a new espionage mission to pillage a Dam.

vvvv Oh, my bad then

Kassad fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 1, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kassad posted:

Secretly? It literally says you have to deforest the hell out of a place to build them.

no i mean they'll make each moai count towards the gw track even if it's built in like a desert because they're too lazy to track true deforestation

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Kassad posted:

Edit: Oh that's going to be fun

vvvv Oh, my bad then

Where did you see the thing about dams? It sounds fun

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The Civilization Analyst website has a bunch of info.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Builders working the way they do is better as long as the system is 1UPT for sure. Civilization V workers were the worst of both worlds, you couldn't stack workers to speed up their task like in IV and they constantly blocked each other leading to lots of micromanagement to optimize your turns. Military engineers are more or less pointless though unless you want Eurekas or to build missile silos in the current build.

The Glumslinger posted:

Where did you see the thing about dams? It sounds fun

I believe it was mentioned in the Firaxis stream.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I kinda really like how builders operate now. I don't have hordes of idle builders hanging around, but I also don't need to build like fifty of them to get railroads established within like a hundred turns off unlocking the tech.

That and districts are awesome. I hope they one day introduce a base speed of three as default for military units.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Kassad posted:

The Civilization Analyst website has a bunch of info.

Ok, that also answers some of the questions about canals

quote:

Must be on flat land adjacent to city center and water, and must connect two bodies of water.
Can build more than 1 canal per city, but cannot connect to another canal (except the Panama Canal Wonder).
Can only extend 1 tile from the city center.

So they let you get a ship or a trade route across a 3 wide piece of land with a city in the middle, but can be much larger with the Panama Canal wonder

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

builders are one of those few civ VI changes that i 100% prefer, it feels less cluttered than workers and them being treated more like a spendable resource leads to some neat civ abilities like the aztecs or china

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Chronojam posted:

That and districts are awesome. I hope they one day introduce a base speed of three as default for military units.

My personal pipe dream is that the next civ game just ups the granularity a whole bunch. Make cities and improvements take up 7 (or maybe just 3-4) hexes, make roads wide enough to accommodate multiple units, make the default movement rate 5 or 6, and have terrain features of varying sizes. Bam, you can have actual tactical position-based combat and all that jazz without five units creating a hellish gridlock.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

My personal pipe dream is that the next civ game just ups the granularity a whole bunch. Make cities and improvements take up 7 (or maybe just 3-4) hexes, make roads wide enough to accommodate multiple units, make the default movement rate 5 or 6, and have terrain features of varying sizes. Bam, you can have actual tactical position-based combat and all that jazz without five units creating a hellish gridlock.

I just wish that movement speed scaled with game speed. Why do units move at the same rate in a Quick game or a Marathon game?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I downloaded the Rocket Boots mod, which adds +1 movement to all units, the second I got the game and haven't looked back. Still hate the new movement rules and having to go through my army twice a turn when they approach a river.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

The Glumslinger posted:

I just wish that movement speed scaled with game speed. Why do units move at the same rate in a Quick game or a Marathon game?

I'd hate it if that happened. I play on long speeds because I hate getting my newly minted units to the front line just in time for them to be obsoleted.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Huh, missed a huge change to strategic resources

quote:

Strategic resources nodes now contribute a per-turn yield to a global stockpile of each resource type, which is consumed both by one-time costs for building units, but also by per-turn upkeep costs for later units and for resource-consuming buildings such as powerplants. Upgrading units now also costs strategic resources (where applicable) in addition to Gold. In the announcement livestream gameplay, a single Iron deposit contributed 3 units of Iron per turn to the stockpile. It appears that 13 of the applicable resource is now required to build a unit, and 9 to upgrade.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Glumslinger posted:

movement isn't the only factor; getting to the front lines is only half of the equation. if units can't attack 8x as many times per turn on quick as marathon then all the move in the world wouldn't save you from busting a highly-defended capital if your enemy takes 3 turns to research rifling but you still only attack once.

granularity is just what happens on a slow game speed. i guess the true balance would be to have an attack cooldown on slower speeds and multiple on quick, but cooldowns suck and the opposite end of attacking eight times a round is like :psyduck:

just play on the speed you like, if you can. there's just too much to modify for balance otherwise.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 2, 2018

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Straight White Shark posted:

I've pretty much only ever used engineers to pick up a couple eurekas. Maybe once I actually used an airstrip? I don't think it actually made a difference though.

Yeah I pretty much only ever build them when like seven city states give me a bonus for getting that one eureka that requires an airstrip or something. I've never made actual use of them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Well of Souls now has a complete list of Civs. They're not 100% certain but they've been right every other time so I'd say we're quite likely to see it.
It's not a super exciting one but it's nice to see some old favourites.

I still think it's dumb that Canada is one but whatever.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Taear posted:

Well of Souls now has a complete list of Civs. They're not 100% certain but they've been right every other time so I'd say we're quite likely to see it.

Well, this is the Civ that brought us Australia.

I maintain that Christina I is a weird choice for Sweden.

The really weird one: Eleanor of Aquitane as a second leader choice... for England or France. She can lead either one. That's a very interesting precedent...

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Well, this is the Civ that brought us Australia.

I maintain that Christina I is a weird choice for Sweden.

The really weird one: Eleanor of Aquitane as a second leader choice... for England or France. She can lead either one. That's a very interesting precedent...

I think putting her as a French leader is dumb really but whatever, that's fine and interesting too.

Christina is a really interesting Monarch so I'm absolutely down with her being the ruler. I think I'd have gone for Denmark and made Margarite the queen but at least Christina did some "weird" stuff and it'll hopefully mean more people learn about her.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
After a trip to wikipedia, I'm interested to see what they do with Wilfrid Laurier for Canada. He was a diplomat and a stateman, and is still regarded today as an extremely influential leader of early Canada. There's all sorts of ways Civ6 could go with that, but I'm guessing they'll emphasize Canada's diplomatic side, maybe legacy government stuff like America.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Taear posted:

Australia has less people and governs less territory that Canada. And the Brazilian empire lasted for all of 58 years, yet they get to be a civilization

No, i'm not defensive, why do you ask. :canada:

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I don't see why Canada is a bad choice at all, the game has been a mix of modern nation states and unique cultural civilizations since 1991. If you're going to have Rome and France, why not Canada?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Euro Colony Simulator VI: Build an Empire to Last, oh, like a hundred years, if that

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sedge and Bee posted:

Australia has less people and governs less territory that Canada. And the Brazilian empire lasted for all of 58 years, yet they get to be a civilization

No, i'm not defensive, why do you ask. :canada:

I think they're dumb too. And the US.
Colonial nations always feel weird, they're too recent. They've made loads of bizzare choices this time anyway though like having Scotland as a Civ but having Victoria ruling "England". So whatever!

Maybe they'll add the Kingdom of Jerusalem or the Two Sicilies or something.
It's still strange to me that Italy has pretty much never been in it although maybe they say Rome counts. Who knows!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Byzantine posted:

Euro Colony Simulator VI: Build an Empire to Last, oh, like a hundred years, if that

And has had more global influence than many civilizations that lasted three times as long.

Taear posted:

I think they're dumb too. And the US.
Colonial nations always feel weird, they're too recent. They've made loads of bizzare choices this time anyway though like having Scotland as a Civ but having Victoria ruling "England". So whatever!

So, when's the cut-off date for when the game should stop mattering? Because a game that includes 20th century stuff without including the US would be really, really weird.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cythereal posted:

And has had more global influence than many civilizations that lasted three times as long.

I mean that's a bit of a weird thing to say when in the modern day you can communicate with people in a way that was never possible before. Of course they're going to have more global influence when it doesn't take 6 months to take your caravan to "distant Cathay" or etc.

Cythereal posted:

So, when's the cut-off date for when the game should stop mattering? Because a game that includes 20th century stuff without including the US would be really, really weird.

I'd be fine with like.... 500 years. I'm absolutely okay with native American nations and etc but having colonial nations as cavemen feels weird, that's all. I get that they include places because people from those places play the game and want to be included and I think it's fair.

Taear fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 2, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Taear posted:

I mean that's a bit of a weird thing to say when in the modern day you can communicate with people in a way that was never possible before. Of course they're going to have more global influence when it doesn't take 6 months to take your caravan to "distant Cathay" or etc.

I'd be fine with like.... 500 years. I'm absolutely okay with native American nations but having colonial nations as cavemen feels weird, that's all. I get that they include places because people from those places play the game and want to be included and I think it's fair.

So you think the game should end around the 15th or 16th century and include no technology, units, or ideas from past that point, gotcha.

The Total War or Age of Empires series may be more to your liking.

It's just as weird having so many nations that no longer exist in the modern world being able to research flight, land on the moon, and build battleships and submarines.

I've kinda hoped for a while that Firaxis would troll players by putting in a completely fictional civilization that ostensibly doesn't exist yet. Hello, Lunar Coalition or whatever.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 2, 2018

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
It's really dumb when people debate the real historical qualities as justification for which fictionalized nations should be put into a boardgame.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cythereal posted:

So you think the game should end around the 15th or 16th century and include no technology, units, or ideas from past that point, gotcha.

The Total War or Age of Empires series may be more to your liking.

It's just as weird having so many nations that no longer exist in the modern world being able to research flight, land on the moon, and build battleships and submarines.

I've kinda hoped for a while that Firaxis would troll players by putting in a completely fictional civilization that ostensibly doesn't exist yet. Hello, Lunar Coalition or whatever.

Not really, those civilizations could have "stood the test of time" in the way that other names have carried on for so long.
Whereas American cavemen is as weird as Lunar Coalition cavemen.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The Brazils and Swedens and Canadas and such are in the game mostly to draw in more game purchases from those regions. Civ VI's player numbers haven't seemed great compared to V so I can easily imagine that being at least one major reason for them opting for more "safe" choices like that.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I'm glad to see more of the British Empire get represented. Hopefully we can get South Africa and Belize in next.

Maybe Bernard Montgomery as an alternate German leader.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
i will own you, rome, as australia and there is nothing you can do about it

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Kanfy posted:

The Brazils and Swedens and Canadas and such are in the game mostly to draw in more game purchases from those regions. Civ VI's player numbers haven't seemed great compared to V so I can easily imagine that being at least one major reason for them opting for more "safe" choices like that.

That probably is the reason although who knows how closely it tracks. I would imagine that the game would sell pretty badly in the US if the US wasn't in it but I don't think other places would mind quite as much as they're used to it.

It's a shame that these are our last civs though.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

England, France, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Poland, Austria, Hungary, Rome, Greece, Russia, Canada, USA, Scotland, Australia, Brazil, New Zealand, Belgium, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales, South Africa, Belize, Pitcairn Islands

Arabia
China
India
Native America
Zulu (DLC)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Byzantine posted:

England, France, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Poland, Austria, Hungary, Rome, Greece, Russia, Canada, USA, Scotland, Australia, Brazil, New Zealand, Belgium, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales, South Africa, Belize, Pitcairn Islands

Arabia
China
India
Native America
Zulu (DLC)

"White people history is the only history" - Sid Meier, probably

From a game that brings you Austria, Germany and The Holy Roman Empire.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

are there really any big names we're missing that should've gotten in over canada?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

are there really any big names we're missing that should've gotten in over canada?

Hannibal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

The Inca and Ethiopia, just offhand.