Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I must have missed it, why is JK Rowling a piece of poo poo now?

Weird stuff like "accidentally" retweeting chodes and trying to claim she's an ally through almost entirely post-hoc extratextual revisions of her work, as I alluded to earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think it's mostly that she's desperately trying to live up to the expectations of a contemporary audience by retroactively claiming that her characters were more progressive than they were written as.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

IncredibleIgloo posted:

She's a British centrist who somehow always seems to highlight the latest right wing talking points "antisemitism in labour etc" Signal boosting Russian twitter bots and so on.

There's also the whole adding of minority group characters after the fact. Like Hermione supposedly being black. Dumbledore being gay and there was the part about the Jewish wizard. Then she wants progressive points for doing it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

She's a moderate liberal who thinks Corbyn and his supporters are slightly left of Chairman Mao. She's also retweeted TERFs a couple of times I think.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
She didn't really say Hermione was always black, she said she "never specified her race" in the text in order to show support for casting a black woman for the play. Which is dumb because of course the character was intended as white. She made specific mention of just about every black character at some point in the text. The correct way to handle it would have been to say that it doesn't matter who they cast because race was never central to her character, and theatre does that all the time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Katt posted:

She's a British centrist who somehow always seems to highlight the latest right wing talking points "antisemitism in labour etc" Signal boosting Russian twitter bots and so on.

There's also the whole adding of minority group characters after the fact. Like Hermione supposedly being black. Dumbledore being gay and there was the part about the Jewish wizard. Then she wants progressive points for doing it.

To her slight credit, the "Dumbledore is gay" one at least has some textual support given what you find out about his past in Book 7. I think that explicitly stating it won her so many online brownie points that she just started inventing more minority checkboxes to try to capture that lightning again

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
The main thing I take away here is: no matter how bad we thing Rowling is, Banks is massively worse.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Rowling is the Notch of books

e: also she's a billionaire which is a very good reason to despise someone

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

She’s right about calling herself a Boss Baby.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

she's pretty angry, maybe she should try some of her oils

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

There are 2 aspects to Rowling being p lovely:
1: She tries to retroactively insert progressive things into her writing when society changes. Black Hermione is a good example, she could have just supported the casting of the black actress for the play and be like "yeah Hermione could have been black, it didnt matter for the plot anyway; cool" but she doubled down on her being black all along a couple times. Same with the low amount of diversity in the books in general, instead of basically going "sorry my bad, but you can headcanon people however you like" she keeps picking some obscure character and Haha! This character was <X> all along. The super awkward weird retconning and.. choices... for roles in the Fantastic Beasts movies don't help either.

2: Her politics basically come across as a now-wealthy person turning poo poo, with having memories of being poor being the only thing holding her back into going full on FYGM. She is a Blairite labour supporter and anything actually leftists seems to upset her. Also she keeps retweeting transphobic poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The most bizarre has been suddenly revealing Nagini (Voldemort’s snake familiar) as a permanently transfigured Korean woman. There’s literally no mention in any page of any book that even hints at something this important about the character.

Like it’s one thing to go “This background character is a gay Jew” and another to go “The snake is Asian.”

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 02:36 on Dec 2, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

chitoryu12 posted:

The most bizarre has been suddenly revealing Nagini (Voldemort’s snake familiar) as a permanently transifgured Korean woman. There’s literally no mention in any page of any book that even hints at something this important about the character.

Like it’s one thing to go “This background character is a gay Jew” and another to go “The snake is Asian.”

its weird that we get so much effort put toward humanizing her....and yet we're still supposed to cheer when she gets beheaded in movie 8

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I liked when she said there was an American wizarding school and all the houses had stereotypical Native American names

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Making the snake a human of any race, orientation, etc massively undermines Voldemort's character in an even bigger way than that whole Cursed Child mumbo Jumbo; It's p impressive.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Going back to people tweeting me because they think I'm the former president of the US, I'm mildly concerned by what this woman has emailed Dubya and why she's asking him to pick up an Uzi

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Going back to people tweeting me because they think I'm the former president of the US, I'm mildly concerned by what this woman has emailed Dubya and why she's asking him to pick up an Uzi

It's pretty obvious. You've been enlisted in the army of the dead and need to bring weapons for the war.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

This is incredible

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

tell her to copy the email into your DMs, i gotta see this poo poo

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Dear Tips@FBI....

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists > Idiots on Social Media: u know what? gently caress you rat.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
That woman is an uzi sales person.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jobson groeth posted:

It's pretty obvious. You've been enlisted in the army of the dead and need to bring weapons for the war.

That's why you put RIP on your tombstone.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Zil posted:

Dear Tips@FBI....

Oh, I think the FBI already know about this person, because she tweets at them (and the CIA, the UN, the NSA, et al.) constantly with bonkers garbage.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I liked when she said there was an American wizarding school and all the houses had stereotypical Native American names

Assuming the wizards are Caucasian, that sounds pretty accurate for an American elite academy.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I was always fond of the idea that one wizarding school apparently served all of the US and Canada. Just one. There's at least three in Europe, but just one for North America.

I don't think Rowling has a very good sense of scale.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

jivjov posted:

To her slight credit, the "Dumbledore is gay" one at least has some textual support given what you find out about his past in Book 7. I think that explicitly stating it won her so many online brownie points that she just started inventing more minority checkboxes to try to capture that lightning again

If you were familiar with slang of the era, especially among artsy circles like the Bloomsbury Group, it's pretty definitely signaled.

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's exactly what a US wizarding school in Massachusetts would do, though. We love our Natives once they're conveniently dead up here.

My biggest beef with Rowling is the TERFyness. The "third way" nonsense is just super normal for Gen Xers who have a bunch of money now, but were living off the government in the past. Like, you can't be all :thermidor: because you're in the money now, but you also know from your own experience that social programs are really useful. And on the third hand, lower taxes are nice. It's a weird soup of self-interest and survivors' guilt.

Blair and Clinton were loving brilliant in exploiting that as an entering wedge to austerity.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 05:23 on Dec 2, 2018

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

RoboRodent posted:

I was always fond of the idea that one wizarding school apparently served all of the US and Canada. Just one. There's at least three in Europe, but just one for North America.

I don't think Rowling has a very good sense of scale.

i mean, with the rules of magic being as loose as it is europe having multiple schools is probably less about necessary resource allocation and more about national identity. they could be in one big school like the americans but they'd rather scoff at the snooty french school or definitely evil russian school

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
The damning part is she put one wizard school in all of Africa and I think only one in all of Asia. And both are known for vaguely racist poo poo, like the African wizards turning into animals and the Asian ones being all about discipline. She's Eurocentric and white as gently caress.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Roblo posted:

The main thing I take away here is: no matter how bad we thing Rowling is, Banks is massively worse.

I got sidetracked while reading the thread and thought you meant Iain Banks for a minute, and you were about to get a very strongly worded reply indeed.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Idiots on Social Media: I'm sorry for your losses, please pick up an uzi

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/realbuntyking/status/1069100447489617920

Read. Another. Book.

Standard Measure
Sep 5, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He's not attacking her for anything other than daring to be a professional woman who has an opinion he doesn't like. This is Arron Banks, the guy who's getting into deep trouble over irregularities in the Vote Leave campaign.

if someone cheerleads because their lovely human of choice was arguing with another lovely human that leaves us with three lovely humans

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

https://twitter.com/realbuntyking/status/1068531269443743744

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

The damning part is she put one wizard school in all of Africa and I think only one in all of Asia. And both are known for vaguely racist poo poo, like the African wizards turning into animals and the Asian ones being all about discipline. She's Eurocentric and white as gently caress.

I'm sure all the magical students from various Asian countries with long histories of conflict would love being lumped into one megaschool for the entirety of loving Asia, largest continent there is :downs: Unless she's going to try to argue that Asian wizards never conflicted with each other on national terms in which case lol, she's never talked to an Asian person.

Edit: isn't it in Japan as well? Where are they going to find space to fit every young wizard/witch from Japan, China, India, Indonesia, the Middle East, amongst others, on famously land-starved Japan?

Ibblebibble has a new favorite as of 07:07 on Dec 2, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Standard Measure posted:

if someone cheerleads because their lovely human of choice was arguing with another lovely human that leaves us with three lovely humans

Arron Banks doesn't give a gently caress about JK's transfobia or centrism, you shitmuppet.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm sure all the magical students from various Asian countries with long histories of conflict would love being lumped into one megaschool for the entirety of loving Asia, largest continent there is :downs: Unless she's going to try to argue that Asian wizards never conflicted with each other on national terms in which case lol, she's never talked to an Asian person.

Edit: isn't it in Japan as well? Where are they going to find space to fit every young wizard/witch from Japan, China, India, Indonesia, the Middle East, amongst others, on famously land-starved Japan?

It's on Iwo Jima lmao

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The euro centric-ness of the Harry Potter world makes sense if you think about the first couple of books basically being childrens books set in an olde-worldey English boarding school, but for wizards. What with the goodie house, and the baddie house, and the mean rich kids, and the mean strict teachers, and our ragtag group of protagonists, (with the hypercompetent girl, the poor kid at a private school, and the 'chosen one hero'), all go on an adventure and fight the baddie monster wizard.

All simple, fun, bog standard stuff for a throwaway fantasy series. But then the nerds got involved, and demanded world building, and backstories, and that the characters they liked suddenly be goodies, not baddies and so on and so forth. So we move from having a fun simplistic tournament between the goodie English school, the posh French girls school, and the evil Eastern European school to "well I suppose there should be a magic school in Asia. What no I won't do any sort of research or care about the many different cultures and countries that exist in Asia. I'll just chuck one in Japan. Don't worry, they'll never be important to the plot anyway."

I don't know too much about Ms. Rowling's political affiliations, but she does seem like a bullshit centrist. The re-tweeting TERF stuff is certainly not cool, and the "yeah, Dumbledore is/was gay honest, even though I waited until after he was dead to tell you, instead of actually showing it to you by having him actually do some gay stuff or be in a relationship with a male character." stuff reeks of trying to get progressive points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

chitoryu12 posted:

The most bizarre has been suddenly revealing Nagini (Voldemort’s snake familiar) as a permanently transfigured Korean woman. There’s literally no mention in any page of any book that even hints at something this important about the character.

Amazingly Harry Potter is not the only fiction I know of that retconned a giant snake into being a transformed human woman(the other is anime).