Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

ChubbyThePhat posted:

The part that is confusing me is he thought up the monstrous solution that will cost money and time and break in 3 seconds, then proceeds to mention DHCP snooping which sounds like what he wanted all along?????

I should find his ticket about "Improving our VPN for Linux Users".

It really was his magnum opus.

It was at least 500 words long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is your colleague Tom Collins?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

suuma posted:

I'm the lead ticket closer within our department by a significant amount (like, 40%) and my boss wants to make me some sort of supervisor, 'cause he doesn't have time to do it anymore (he deals with a lot of customer implementation type stuff, we're a small software shop/vendor). I guess that's exciting? I just wonder who's going to take all the calls I normally do, now..

Lots of "well I don't know exactly what the role would look like yet" but :yotj:, maybe?
I notice you're not mentioning the pay rise that is going to come with this.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Anyone heard of software that automagically changes backgrounds on Windows machines with info such as IP, PC name, etc?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/bginfo

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Da man!

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

suuma posted:

Yeah you right :hf:

Speaking from experience, definitely. Would you get to hire your replacement?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

DigitalMocking posted:

A ticket came in from my favorite Engineer:

"...Perhaps IT would choose to solve this problem for us once and for all by setting up DHCP snooping and using server-side scripts"

:negative:

This is a thing that exists? Oh my god, I wish we would have had that when I did support in uni for 500+ students. What we did whenever a random idiot plugged in his router backwards was have DEFCON 1 EVENT until the lead sysadmin could pin down what outlet it was coming from, then the rest of us would suspend the outlet and pay the resident a visit and a stern lecture.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I assume there’s an equivalent for IPv6 RAs but I haven’t checked.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PBS posted:

Trying to push them to do snooping?

"You can do this monstrous thing, or we could just do the simpler thing I previously asked for"
I like to put the simpler thing in a followup email to their PFO response to my initial terrible idea. Makes them feel like they argued me into it.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I assume there’s an equivalent for IPv6 RAs but I haven’t checked.

It's called RA Guard, but you can also do it by blocking router-adverts via ingress ACL on untrusted ports for switches that don't have a dedicated knob for it. The antispoofing part of DHCP snooping is harder for IPv6 because interfaces have several addresses unlike with IPv4.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 30, 2018

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I am trying to teach my helpdesk guy it's ok to say "this is broke and I changed X recently so what have I done, help me fix it" (He has quite a lot of pride that his changes or proposed fixes never go wrong and couldn't possibly break things so it's a work in progress)

yesterday's effort - the dude from next door calls me to say his Pc has lost network connection
Conveniently the patch panel is on the wall above our desks of all places, so I look up and notice that whilst I've been off site all week someone has taken it upon themselves to repatch the cabinet neatly with the right colours - great stuff, but I am sure you all know where this is going.

Obviously, identifying a teaching moment and definitely not being so lazy that I can't even be bothered to stand up and sort out patching, I tell the helpdesk guy when he came back.

The way his mind works is - it couldn't possibly be his patching, so instead of even looking into the cabinet, he goes to the office next door to see whats going on.
He rings me up to say it must be the PC, so I said well you are only next door you could bring it here and patch it direct to the switch to prove it if you want...

When he brought it back, he still insisted it must be the PC so I said - you are telling me that you changed the patching yesterday and the PC coincidently broke the same day?
Rather than say 'yeah you have a point there' he started saying "well no, I did the patching on Tuesday and he only reported it today therefore... etc etc"

So I let him get on with it and obviously it was the patch. I said to him afterwards you will find faults do happen when you change stuff so retracing your steps isn't a bad way to fix things and it will help you get poo poo done quickly - don't feel bad about it, it gives you a headstart.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
:yotj: in progress, with giant pay bump and actual 9-5 flex hours (instead of 7-8 like I've been doing). I have never met as bad a company as my current one I'm exiting. Here's to finding out how wrong I am on the next one! :gbsmith:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Owned my first database today. Feels good.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Arquinsiel posted:

Owned my first database today. Feels good.

What'd you do, drop all the tables?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

PBS posted:

rm -rf the wrong folder and it nuked the flat files hosting your critical production facing dbase3 database?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Broke out of a segregated IoT network and realised that they had misconfigured it so that it would accept arbitrary logins. Wasn't a particularly important database, but was still nice to be able to show them I was logged is as admin.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

DigitalMocking posted:

oh no, he doesn't want to do the work.

He wants IT to deploy several dozen raspberry pi systems throughout our company all sending email when a rogue DHCP server gets plugged in by some dummy.

... or enable DHCP snooping on your switches with alarms?

e:f;b

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The Spectrum is a hell of a drug.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

PBS posted:

Run a preliminary test batch to make sure you were only deleting the records you wanted to not realizing you were in auto-commit mode?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Uninstalled Access?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Uninstalled Excel?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

These are from three different people. Also shoutout to the sales manager who was completely unable to comprehend the concept of a phone number not belonging to the customer, to us, or being a valid number in the first place. I don't care if it's just "missing a digit" in the system, that's not how it works you loving moron.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is autocorrect turning Yealink into Yelling?

It's always great when people just make an assumption on their phone number ranges, and go off and have a load of business cards printed up with a number on that they don't own, but might be the next one along from a number they do own. "Can't you just buy that number?". No, doesn't work like that.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Is autocorrect turning Yealink into Yelling?

It's always great when people just make an assumption on their phone number ranges, and go off and have a load of business cards printed up with a number on that they don't own, but might be the next one along from a number they do own. "Can't you just buy that number?". No, doesn't work like that.

I'd imagine so? After some of the calls I've gotten though, I can imagine these people could very well think it's actually Yelling.

For more telephone number fuckery, we get quite a lot of people asking if they can mask their caller ID to some arbitrary number they don't own. Friend, that is literally fraud, and whining at me isn't going to change that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That used to be a standard feature of the Irish phone network back in the day. No idea if it's still doable, but it was a staple of stupid prank calls when I was a teen.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

When I was a kid (before mobiles) I found a freephone number that would route to some area code in the US, so you could dial the first part and hit 4 random numbers.

At most used it for novelty and prank voicemail messages, but I do wonder now what it was for and where I was talking to. Transatlantic calls were not cheap back then.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

:yotj: in progress, with giant pay bump and actual 9-5 flex hours (instead of 7-8 like I've been doing). I have never met as bad a company as my current one I'm exiting. Here's to finding out how wrong I am on the next one! :gbsmith:
Congrats! May it be many months or even years before the shine wears off and you find the assholes (or they find you first).

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

quote:

We have a Conf. Room IP phone that is down and we need to determine of the new Firmware Push to it will resolve the situation or if we need to purchase - ship another Polycom IP7000 Soundstation phone to the office.

You help and attention to this is Greatly Appreciated?

gently caress people that use Random Capitalization in their messages. I really want to reply "no, it is Not greatly Appreciated"

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Kaethela posted:

gently caress people that use Random Capitalization in their messages. I really want to reply "no, it is Not greatly Appreciated"

"This is a new message for me - I am not sure if this is a VIRUS so am not opening it. Can you confirm please?"

"I didn't reply at all. Will BLOCK the sender now. Thank you - as it looked suspect.'"

That was an in-ticket conversation between the user and someone else. I then assigned myself the ticket, close it with the note "No action needed", and then the user replies with the following which reopens the ticket:

"HANDLED - no need for a call"

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
A few jobs ago, some nice old man kept reopening a ticket by responding to the closure notification email with "thank you". He must've reopened it 7 or 8 times. We reworded our close email shortly after that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This is why the option to close without sending an email is vital

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

"This is a new message for me - I am not sure if this is a VIRUS so am not opening it. Can you confirm please?"

"I didn't reply at all. Will BLOCK the sender now. Thank you - as it looked suspect.'"

That was an in-ticket conversation between the user and someone else. I then assigned myself the ticket, close it with the note "No action needed", and then the user replies with the following which reopens the ticket:

"HANDLED - no need for a call"

I wish our ticketing system generated a 'Your case has been closed, if everything is good please do not reply. If you wish to offer your gratitude, click this thumbs-up icon.' message when a case was closed. Half my tickets get re-opened with with a 'Thank you." drat polite coworkers.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Kaethela posted:

I'd imagine so? After some of the calls I've gotten though, I can imagine these people could very well think it's actually Yelling.

For more telephone number fuckery, we get quite a lot of people asking if they can mask their caller ID to some arbitrary number they don't own. Friend, that is literally fraud, and whining at me isn't going to change that.

Then how do all these cockmongers selling extended car warranties and having exciting news about my credit card manage to always have the same first three digits as my number which is from a very small and obscure town?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

tactlessbastard posted:

Then how do all these cockmongers selling extended car warranties and having exciting news about my credit card manage to always have the same first three digits as my number which is from a very small and obscure town?

It's actually insanely easy to spoof caller ID, but that doesn't mean I'm going to do it for my customers. On more than one occasion I've had calls come into my mobile from my own number. I should've answered it, that had some potential.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
There are above-board services (well, legally speaking at least) that will route your call through a number that's local to whoever you're calling. Our sales dept uses one.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

monsterzero posted:

I wish our ticketing system generated a 'Your case has been closed, if everything is good please do not reply. If you wish to offer your gratitude, click this thumbs-up icon.' message when a case was closed. Half my tickets get re-opened with with a 'Thank you." drat polite coworkers.

I hope to be an end user one day so i can reply with the Canadian "Thanks" then "sorry" for every ticket (there will be a ticket every PW change)

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Kaethela posted:

It's actually insanely easy to spoof caller ID, but that doesn't mean I'm going to do it for my customers. On more than one occasion I've had calls come into my mobile from my own number. I should've answered it, that had some potential.

Some spammer must have used my number for a series of calls. Got three random callbacks saying I just called them last week. Same area code and first 3 prefix as my own number.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Kaethela posted:

My favorite part is that they even seem to be unsure of whether it’s appreciated or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

PirateDentist posted:

Some spammer must have used my number for a series of calls. Got three random callbacks saying I just called them last week. Same area code and first 3 prefix as my own number.

They just rotate through blocks of numbers for who to call and what number it comes from, the jerks. For the latter, they try to make the Area Code and Prefix match the number they're calling.