Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
is tournament of survival gcw's tournament of death? cause i gotta be honest i skip out on that. a few deathmatches is fine but all deathmatches is a bit much for me, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Look for every indie wrestler point towards Tyson Fury's sit up to justify all no selling.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Sammy is somewhere between no longer being signed to AroLucha and maybe being signed with MLW.

https://twitter.com/sammyguevara/status/1069137156130582528

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SalTheBard posted:

What is the best GCW shows this year? I have wanted to get into it since All In and no time like the present

Tournament of Survival and NGI if you like death matches, followed by Tha G Code. Spring Break is obviously good if you like the Janela stuff but I wasn't blown away by Lost in NY or the LA show, except for Gage vs Arquette.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

my experience with GCW is that if you don't like deathmatch stuff, the non-Joey Janela produce stuff is not for you. They book a lot of dudes that would not exist if it weren't for deathmatch friendly promotions. And Shlak, a dude that shouldn't exist at all.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

MassRafTer posted:

Tournament of Survival and NGI if you like death matches, followed by Tha G Code. Spring Break is obviously good if you like the Janela stuff but I wasn't blown away by Lost in NY or the LA show, except for Gage vs Arquette.

I listened to your ToS podcast so I think I'm going to start there! Thanks!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SalTheBard posted:

I listened to your ToS podcast so I think I'm going to start there! Thanks!

It's a really good starting point.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

rovert posted:

Sammy is somewhere between no longer being signed to AroLucha and maybe being signed with MLW.

https://twitter.com/sammyguevara/status/1069137156130582528

Couldn't WWE snap him up in January?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
ronpaulitshappening.gif

https://twitter.com/RevProUK/status/1069350013325717507

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It's both great and terrible how easy it is for dream matches to happen now. On one hand, hell yeah because they can happen whenever wherever and everyone can see them before someone gets injured or signed to some exclusive contract elsewhere. But on the other hand, it's just dream match after dream match with no hype or build other than the intrigue of seeing two guys go at it. Like, I know they're going to happen in whatever random indie can book them to happen so there isn't always going to be the potential to build a story but how many of these big Pac matches are going to be easy to remember after he has a dozen straight dream matches?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Phenix Rising posted:

It's both great and terrible how easy it is for dream matches to happen now. On one hand, hell yeah because they can happen whenever wherever and everyone can see them before someone gets injured or signed to some exclusive contract elsewhere. But on the other hand, it's just dream match after dream match with no hype or build other than the intrigue of seeing two guys go at it. Like, I know they're going to happen in whatever random indie can book them to happen so there isn't always going to be the potential to build a story but how many of these big Pac matches are going to be easy to remember after he has a dozen straight dream matches?

I can understand the Cornette/Lance Storm side of things where matches need a build, but is it really that different from the territory days where the big names were all traveling and working on their names alone? I doubt Andre and Junkyard Dog had actual angles going on when they'd show up in a terrritory for like 3 weeks

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

I can understand the Cornette/Lance Storm side of things where matches need a build, but is it really that different from the territory days where the big names were all traveling and working on their names alone? I doubt Andre and Junkyard Dog had actual angles going on when they'd show up in a terrritory for like 3 weeks

Andre was often brought in as a "Heel(s) get what's coming to them because now they have to face Andre" so sometimes he was. Plus JYD's pre-WWE career is split into two spots: Calgary, where he had a "Where the white women at" type character and was called Big Daddy Ritter, and Louisiana/Mid South, where was a top babyface for Bill Watts.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Plus territories ran more than once or twice a month so they had more opportunities to set up angles and build to interesting matches.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/pw_dotcom/status/1069347293852241920

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Andre was often brought in as a "Heel(s) get what's coming to them because now they have to face Andre" so sometimes he was. Plus JYD's pre-WWE career is split into two spots: Calgary, where he had a "Where the white women at" type character and was called Big Daddy Ritter, and Louisiana/Mid South, where was a top babyface for Bill Watts.

Maybe JYD is a bad example and I should have used The Sheik or someone like that instead, I forgot he was that limited to those areas. But still, there had to be a ton of traveling guys who just worked off of name value alone. Big Ernie Ladd maybe?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

Couldn't WWE snap him up in January?

I really don't know. has/had the rep of being very immature and having little social awareness.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
The trailer is really cool:

https://twitter.com/IAmDJZ/status/1069386031642882048

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

rovert posted:

I really don't know. has/had the rep of being very immature and having little social awareness.

So he’s a pro wrestler?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
So the way the Wrestling World is going does the indie thread get locked on January 1st?

https://twitter.com/WWNEVOLVE/status/1069644185546952706

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rovert posted:

So the way the Wrestling World is going does the indie thread get locked on January 1st?

https://twitter.com/WWNEVOLVE/status/1069644185546952706

People keep ruining my jokes :(

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Fabian's gonna drop the belt to Roddy and make everyone in Evolve look like geeks. Again.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

coconono posted:

Fabian's gonna drop the belt to Roddy and make everyone in Evolve look like geeks. Again.

nxt guy dropping a title to an nxt guy lol

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

how much money I gotta steal from the salvation army donation buckets to sleep with Scott Steiner?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

rovert posted:

A few fat Twitter friends have mentioned that he hasn't figured out not to insult his fat fans to their faces yet.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I hope he shows up. AIW have gotten a raw deal with a lot of no-shows this year.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

He showed up to the the show they booked him on in July, at least.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

coconono posted:

how much money I gotta steal from the salvation army donation buckets to sleep with Scott Steiner?

Depends on how many freaks and peaks you show up with

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

will you accept all elite wrestling sucking its own wiener very strongly throughout all shows, as long as they hire scott steiner to be the top level on-screen and off-screen authority figure? I will do so.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
AEW COMMISSIONER SCOTT STEINER.

AWE Jr COMMISSIONER LITTLE PETEY PUMP

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/aiwrestling/status/1069773307132698630

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

yEEEAH. Tanaka will KDM Gage.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Tanaka looks like some sort of horrifying golem in that pic :stare:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/RickeyShanePage/status/1069968241571844096

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Another WrestleFactory product doing great things in places not named Chikara.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Speaking of, December 16 in East Greenwich RI is Extreme Warfare Revenge

Beyond Wrestling posted:

because we're basically fantasy booking a Beyond Wrestling vs CHIKARA card

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
that rules lol

e: hey quick q, I started checking out beyond recently, have they always had no titles of their own? it's almost jarring how they're able to book whole coherent shows without em, but it works.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

shiksa posted:

that rules lol

e: hey quick q, I started checking out beyond recently, have they always had no titles of their own? it's almost jarring how they're able to book whole coherent shows without em, but it works.

Titles cost too much to make and don't actually mean anything is the booker's stance

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This of course leads to dumbass stuff like wrestlers feuding over who is the ace of the company instead of who is the champion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Man, Hallowicked and Ophidian have been with Chikara for so long. That's pretty drat impressive. I hope they have successful side gigs.