Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i think i got raped in the swamp

You should head back home and fire up the ol' PS4 to play some Red Dead Redemption. Sorry this happened to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i think i got raped in the swamp

Yeah, not sure who thought this was a good idea.

Also, I guess I can't complete Herbalist 9 without moving on with the story. I have just a few species left to collect, but it looks like they're all in an area I haven't progressed to yet. Once I get the Legend of the East outfit I might ditch the mountain man look and stay clean shaven for the rest of the game.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Also, I guess I can't complete Herbalist 9 without moving on with the story. I have just a few species left to collect, but it looks like they're all in an area I haven't progressed to yet. Once I get the Legend of the East outfit I might ditch the mountain man look and stay clean shaven for the rest of the game.

Legend of the East looks real bad.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yeah we could've done without that. If it's the guy I think it is, I didn't go in his shack.

A stick of dynamite sure did, though.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Finally able to log on and stay logged on to RDO after days of getting kicked off every 5 to 10 minutes.
I'm having fun, even though I've bumped into the occasional knucklehead trying to kill me next to mission givers or the butcher.

Got lassoed and hogtied once. Was able to wriggle out of it, just as he put me on his horse, and shoot him before he got me again. The gunfight that followed was hectic, but rather trivialised by the auto aim and me being able to see where he spawned so I could be ready when he came back for revenge. I did revive his horse when I shot it by accident. Cost me ten bucks, but it felt like the right thing to do.

I'm not much of an online player, but I can see this being fun with friends for a little while.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Is this just a glitch with Buell or am I having really bad luck? The game definitely loves disappearing my loving rifles off of my back when I get off of a horse but it happens way more often with Buell.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Some of these online activities/missions are cool, some are just loving very poorly thought out. I like that you can compete with other players but at the same time whoever thought it would be chill to have 20 people all trying to get on the same horse and ride it to the destination is an idiot.

Not a single person managed to ride on that horse for more than a couple seconds before they got shot off, and about a quarter of the players ignored the horse entirely and just shot at whoever. Massive exercise in frustration for no reward (bc no one was able to deliver the horse in the 10 minutes or whatever).

Also holy poo poo the cattleman revolver and this starting repeater are such garbage weapons but it costs so much money for anything else... Idk if is lag or what (sometimes it is because I can see them ghosting around) but outside of short range those guns can't hit poo poo all. Rifle in particular is hot trash. Crouched, aiming for a second to make sure the spread is minimal, dude isnt moving, I have the red dot on his head... Miss. Then sometimes the lever action just glitches and I'm sitting there pulling the trigger while nothing happens and the dude runs over and knifes me (seems to happen when stuck on some object I guess).

I'm blaming the guns because when I pick up a lever action rifle or something during a show down it's like I'm the grim fuckin reaper.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 2, 2018

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Was clearing out a Lamoyne Raider hideout in the Bayou. Got bushwhacked when I wasn't looking and hogtied.

Broke out when he got cocky and was leaving me to the gators, and beat him to death with my revolver.

Game owns sometimes :allears:

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Its one hit kill headshots with any gun so if you cant get killswith the starting weapons you need some practice

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HORMELCHILI posted:

Its one hit kill headshots with any gun so if you cant get killswith the starting weapons you need some practice

Yes that's not the problem I'm having. The problem is when I'm motionless and crouched and taking a second to aim on a stationary target farther than short range the gun just misses at least half the time. When I have a better gun, it doesn't.

Shortish range even the cattleman revolver is fine, sure. But then with the rifle I run into the "character just won't shoot or operate the lever as I frantically pull the trigger on an enemy right in front of me" thing, which I think is something to do with the cover glitching in melee range - I suspect the game is trying to do the melee attack but can't because you're popped out of cover... Happened to me a couple times last night with the shotgun and it was extremely frustrating. Had the dude dead to rights but pulling the trigger over and over did nothing until he came around the corner of the box I was behind and knifed me.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 2, 2018

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also how can I consistently knife someone? I charge at them and pull the trigger my dude just does that dumbass tackle and I mash circle to struggle while the whole time I'm muttering "just stab him with your knife." I know it's possible to just stab them bc I've done it a couple times randomly and obv in SP the charging stab works.

Tomahawk doesn't seem to have that issue.

Dunno I'ma just go back to SP for a while. It's cool to deathmatch a bit but the matchmaking is kind of rear end, too. I'm level 10 and playing with level 20s n poo poo, they obviously have a large advantage both in gear and cores (easiest way to gain health core levels is fishing but lures are locked until rank 14...)

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 2, 2018

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

sounds like you just really suck. going back to SP is a good idea

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok you're right the online is smooth as butter there are 0 lag issues and no glitches or bugs or anything unbalanced at all. They got it all right on the first try no patching needed and the starting guns are just as good as the $2000 ones R* wants you to grind for. :thumbsup:

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 2, 2018

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I love the bromance between Arthur and the wildlife photographer :3:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I love the bromance between Arthur and the wildlife photographer :3:

arthur likes people who have no illusions about themselves

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

she wasn't stabbing him, what the hell were you watching

she asked for more money and dutch was all "i got your money right here" and choked her out in front of arthur

and then justified it by briefly pretending to know spanish before shouting "I SAW THE WICKED GLINT OF BETRAYAL IN HER EYES, OKAY"

Whaaa. I swear to god in my game she pulled out a big rear end knife and slashed at him repeatedly before he took her out .

Either I completely misunderstood what was going on or some bug happened. Now I really wish I had recorded that.

E: does anyone know the name of that mission so I can YouTube it? I need to know if I ran into the strangest bug ever or if I’m just dumb.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

One of my favorite small moments in the game was during chapter 6 When the eccentric hot air balloon guy gets killed, and Arthur's reaction to Sadie is "I liked that guy :( "

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

COMRADES posted:

Some of these online activities/missions are cool, some are just loving very poorly thought out. I like that you can compete with other players but at the same time whoever thought it would be chill to have 20 people all trying to get on the same horse and ride it to the destination is an idiot.

Not a single person managed to ride on that horse for more than a couple seconds before they got shot off, and about a quarter of the players ignored the horse entirely and just shot at whoever. Massive exercise in frustration for no reward (bc no one was able to deliver the horse in the 10 minutes or whatever).

When I did Dispatch Rider the horse got perma-spooked and anyone who got on even for 5 seconds or so with no one shooting at them couldn't get it to move.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I’m having trouble figuring out how to knife someone too. I tackle them then mash B until I’m out of stamina and then they knock me off then.

I finally spent some money today. I got a pump shotgun, bow, fishing pole and worms.

Next purchase will probably be the Lancaster since it was my main weapon in the story. I don’t want to invest too much more time into things though since who knows if it’ll be wiped or not.

E: what’s the fastest way to tank my honor? Just murdering dudes in Saint Denis?

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 2, 2018

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Mr Hootington posted:

Did I single out anyone in the thread?

I don't think you could, because the people you are so slyly chuckling to yourself about don't exist.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Legin Noslen posted:

I don't think you could, because the people you are so slyly chuckling to yourself about don't exist.

He does this in every games thread, hth

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
If you didn't select HP+ when you created your online character, or you just want to boost it up a bit, the best way right now is in race series. You can usually find 1 person afk at the start and you can just beat them from atop your horse the entire race, probably killing them 20-30 times before it ends. Those melee beatings level up HP.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I’m having trouble figuring out how to knife someone too. I tackle them then mash B until I’m out of stamina and then they knock me off then.

I finally spent some money today. I got a pump shotgun, bow, fishing pole and worms.

Next purchase will probably be the Lancaster since it was my main weapon in the story. I don’t want to invest too much more time into things though since who knows if it’ll be wiped or not.

E: what’s the fastest way to tank my honor? Just murdering dudes in Saint Denis?

Do evil stranger missions. They ding your honor pretty good.

Also, being able to interact with Flaco Hernandez in his little hide-away shack in the Grizzlies is great

What was your way of making money? I tried hunting, but I need a rifle for some bigger game and better pelts.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 2, 2018

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I finished the story, did my level 10 map and hunted a lot.

North of Saint Denis kill birds. You can hold 10 of each feather. When you’re getting full keep an eye out for a 3* alligator. You can one clean kill them with the repeater and get their skin and carcass. Also grab two perfect bird carcasses each time.

client
Aug 19, 2010

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/red-dead-online-economy/

capitalism has failed us

seize the means
get the beans

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

client posted:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/red-dead-online-economy/

capitalism has failed us

seize the means
get the beans

quote:

The use of microtransactions could seriously unbalance gameplay and give paying players a massive advantage over those not willing to spend more.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

The price of things like beans and guns to what you earn is stupid and should be fixed.

I don’t give a gently caress if it takes 12 gold bars to make your revolver all black though. That poo poo is cosmetic and that’s what micro transactions should be about.

Honestly I think I might chill for a week or so and see what they do with the first major patch. I’d hate to keep grinding $ and ranks and then suddenly a decent way to do so gets added.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

anybody who would spend gold on rank locked items deserves the price theyre paying

client
Aug 19, 2010

though I got to say that going on the roofs at blackwater and using the bolt-action with express rounds to one-shot screeching kids like a wild west charles whitman does own. never been called a "cucklord" before lmao.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

its easy as gently caress to make cash hunting and fishing

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Did these idiots ever actually play GTA online? :psyduck:

I enjoyed the game for what it was, bit lol if you don't think the guy who spent 100 dollars to get millions of dollars and his big super gun semi truck didn't have an advantage.

From what I can see so far, gold seems to be for clothing mostly, which is eh to whatever for me. Prices are a bit stupid in-game cash, but the ranks locking you out is annoying to me (let me dual wield before 30 you fucks)

Edit: I'm worried about getting invested too soon as well, they wipe your beta character, it's easier to make money but all my cool stuff and the character I spent time making is gone :negative:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 2, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's probably been a while since you were a low level in GTAO, but you couldn't even buy a good sniper rifle until level 80, or minigun until level 100.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

essentially anyone complaining about not having access to "better guns" which is even objective, since the only straight up upgrade of any gun is the cattleman>schofield revolver, is wishing they had a big powerful crutch weapon to use against people that are headshotting them with the varmint rifle

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

HORMELCHILI posted:

essentially anyone complaining about not having access to "better guns" which is even objective, since the only straight up upgrade of any gun is the cattleman>schofield revolver, is wishing they had a big powerful crutch weapon to use against people that are headshotting them with the varmint rifle

I agree with this. Unlike GTA none of the guns are pure upgrades of each other and you get marginal to minimal better performance with any gun in its class.

Though a pump shotgun is legit useful. Although I'm partial to taking down stupid kids with a bow shot and hearing them scream about hacks myself :allears:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Oxxidation posted:

she wasn't stabbing him, what the hell were you watching

she asked for more money and dutch was all "i got your money right here" and choked her out in front of arthur

and then justified it by briefly pretending to know spanish before shouting "I SAW THE WICKED GLINT OF BETRAYAL IN HER EYES, OKAY"

to be fair to Dutch, she had it coming. lady already got a gold bar for helping them navigate an extremely short and easy to traverse cave, and she decides holding a knife up to the desperate outlaw is a good idea?

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I just want a bolt action and a warm coat so I can head up north and hunt bears

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I will probably RMT myself a fox trotter or turkoman once this poo poo is out or beta.

Or hopefully I can rmt a unicorn that flys

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

HatJudge posted:

I think the leather fur coat on like the last page of the coats counts, you can get it at fairly low rank too. Get some gloves as well and you should be okay. I venture up there a lot and the freezing damage isn't too bad.

If not I think there are some heavy winter jackets, but not sure what rank they unlock at.

Has Rockstar mentioned at all if there will be a server wipe at the end or is this "beta" as in most online "betas" these days, where they add and adjust stuff as time goes on?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 2, 2018

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

HatJudge posted:

The "Rugged" style for the persistent posse seems to give cold weather protection. I used it explore all around the mountains earlier, paid Colter (it's a hideout in online) and the Adler Ranch a visit and it never once prompted me about any negative cold effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

COMRADES posted:

Yes that's not the problem I'm having. The problem is when I'm motionless and crouched and taking a second to aim on a stationary target farther than short range the gun just misses at least half the time. When I have a better gun, it doesn't.

Shortish range even the cattleman revolver is fine, sure. But then with the rifle I run into the "character just won't shoot or operate the lever as I frantically pull the trigger on an enemy right in front of me" thing, which I think is something to do with the cover glitching in melee range - I suspect the game is trying to do the melee attack but can't because you're popped out of cover... Happened to me a couple times last night with the shotgun and it was extremely frustrating. Had the dude dead to rights but pulling the trigger over and over did nothing until he came around the corner of the box I was behind and knifed me.

I get ridiculous kills with the starting weapons, one trick I learned is turn off head bob in your first person settings and rock with that camera mode.