Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

xcom 2 is loving icnredible and i will fight anyone who disgarees irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

World War Mammories posted:

It also has a good Lyin' Ted cameo role.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

ShriekingMarxist posted:

okay look, there were some unfortunate narrative choices, but the gameplay is rock solid, there's so many awesome combat bros moments with Garrus, Wrex, et al, and the last mission before the ending is fantastic.

Personally, yeah its pretty good overall imo. They really had no idea how to close up the series, built up the reapers so much they couldn't figure out a way to have a nice happy ending. lol at hating it more than 1, which is way more boring in comparison, imo.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

inquisition would have have been 100 times better if it let you burn not-france to the ground and behead all the bougie scum there

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

Personally, yeah its pretty good overall imo. They really had no idea how to close up the series, built up the reapers so much they couldn't figure out a way to have a nice happy ending. lol at hating it more than 1, which is way more boring in comparison, imo.

The actual ending should have been the Citadel DLC.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

there were a lot of cool little details though, like how they were reverse-engineering reaper tech through drones to avoid being mind-warped and were also strapping copies of harbinger's laser on any ship they could find, stuff like that was good

basically it should have come down to an actual fleet battle and not space magic

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!
the mass effect 3 soundtrack makes me so emotional. don’t get me wrong, mass effect 1 music has its classics (saren’s theme, galaxy map, mass effect theme, love theme, etc.). mass effect 2 is aight, though i do love that part in garrus’ theme where it picks up. but gently caress me if at least 60% of the tracks from the third game don’t make me tear up because they are so beautiful. stand strong, stand together, i’m proud of you, i was lost without you, mars, and obviously an end, once and for all.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

Luckily low tier, like 1-3 I'd say, is where all the fun of the game is. In arcade at least.

owning people in italian shitheaps in tier 1/2 or w/e might be the most fun I've ever had in warthunder lol

that's true

from tier 4 or 5? it was just a whole lot of boom and zoom and a lot less fun gameplay wise

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
today in VR I ran around a Christmas themed gladiator arena with a chainsaw slicing up Roman hot dogs

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

a.lo posted:

the mass effect 3 soundtrack makes me so emotional. don’t get me wrong, mass effect 1 music has its classics (saren’s theme, galaxy map, mass effect theme, love theme, etc.). mass effect 2 is aight, though i do love that part in garrus’ theme where it picks up. but gently caress me if at least 60% of the tracks from the third game don’t make me tear up because they are so beautiful. stand strong, stand together, i’m proud of you, i was lost without you, mars, and obviously an end, once and for all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHoubZNXeVI

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

A Handed Missus posted:

that's true

from tier 4 or 5? it was just a whole lot of boom and zoom and a lot less fun gameplay wise

Yeah, the higher tier you get the more perfect you must fly since the cost of mistakes increase. Also, anybody who's flying in high tier is guaranteed to be some big league moron poopsocker who solely flies jets forever and is way better than you.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dragon Age Inquisition has the best presentation of all the dragon age games, and it kinda tried to find a middle ground between DA2's top 10 anime battles and DA:O's very slow paced MMO-esque combat. Tbh I really enjoyed it but thats only because I grew up playing MMO's so the busywork quests/grinding to get the best gear seems fine to me.

a.lo posted:

this quote gets funnier every time i see it posted

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hold long until Commander Shepard gets a #Metoo?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
ME3 should have ended with the Quarian storyline, saved the final conflict/war with the reapers for ME4, and had them be defeated conventionally by the galaxy working together instead of a magic space laser.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yo5fbceJVM

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Venom Snake posted:

ME3 should have ended with the Quarian storyline, saved the final conflict/war with the reapers for ME4, and had them be defeated conventionally by the galaxy working together instead of a magic space laser.

Barron Shepard builds a space wall around the Citadel and stops the Quarian flotilla from invading

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

me3 mentions volus strapping guns to elcors backs and riding them into battle and also krogan dinosaurs and yet never shows them this is a goddamn crime

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

World War Mammories posted:

I'm pointing at this post unskippably and angrily with 1-3 allies every time I read it for 5-10 seconds.

Ayatollah Hermione
Apr 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ShriekingMarxist posted:

the whole ME series is great wtf

plot to 1 is good, gameplay bad. gently caress thermal clips, give me ammo with a number telling me how many shots i have. Too many MAKO tank missions. Inventory management was a nightmare. some combat situations were nearly impossible due to poor level design. I remember a room in a sewer with like 5 krogan in it that you couldn't see into without getting berzerkered to pink paste. Way too long, both in total and per mission. by the time i killed the mind-control fungus thing i'd lost interest in that plot thread making the last hour feel tedious.

2 is perfect imo. tighter pacing, HUGE squad options, branching skill trees. Some of the most interesting characters in the series were introduced in 2 (Jack, Legion, Grunt, Mordin). splitting the sidequests into squadmate recruitment/ loyalty missions to improve odds of surviving the suicide mission tied the whole thing together in a way that was missing from the original.

3 was a mixed bag. Combat was improved greatly by the addition of acrobatics. Even more skill/weapon customization options. Visually dazzling at times. I spent much time wandering around the Citadel just looking at stuff. Most of the good squadmates from 2 are gone, but offset by the reintroduction of Garrus, one of the more charming characters in plot heavy RPG i've played. I hated resource mining being it's own weird minigame. All three endings were terrible, but what else could they do but use cheap deus ex machina to tie together a resolution when the antagonists are gigantic god robots blasting the poo poo out of every life bearing world simultaneously and it took an entire fleet to kill one of them at the battle for the Citadel and oh yeah there's a billion of them now. the Matrix series had the same problem. everybody loves an underdog, but if the baddies outclass and outnumber the hero so greatly then good triumphing over evil in a head to head fight becomes implausible and you're left with "politely convince our mighty foes not to destroy us utterly."

all in all the series is 3 good to above average games that would have been better released as one. Cut a lot of the filler dialog and every vehicle mission. and change the Virmire mission so that Kaiden and Ashley both die.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ayatollah Hermione posted:

plot to 1 is good, gameplay bad. gently caress thermal clips, give me ammo with a number telling me how many shots i have. Too many MAKO tank missions. Inventory management was a nightmare. some combat situations were nearly impossible due to poor level design. I remember a room in a sewer with like 5 krogan in it that you couldn't see into without getting berzerkered to pink paste. Way too long, both in total and per mission. by the time i killed the mind-control fungus thing i'd lost interest in that plot thread making the last hour feel tedious.

2 is perfect imo. tighter pacing, HUGE squad options, branching skill trees. Some of the most interesting characters in the series were introduced in 2 (Jack, Legion, Grunt, Mordin). splitting the sidequests into squadmate recruitment/ loyalty missions to improve odds of surviving the suicide mission tied the whole thing together in a way that was missing from the original.

3 was a mixed bag. Combat was improved greatly by the addition of acrobatics. Even more skill/weapon customization options. Visually dazzling at times. I spent much time wandering around the Citadel just looking at stuff. Most of the good squadmates from 2 are gone, but offset by the reintroduction of Garrus, one of the more charming characters in plot heavy RPG i've played. I hated resource mining being it's own weird minigame. All three endings were terrible, but what else could they do but use cheap deus ex machina to tie together a resolution when the antagonists are gigantic god robots blasting the poo poo out of every life bearing world simultaneously and it took an entire fleet to kill one of them at the battle for the Citadel and oh yeah there's a billion of them now. the Matrix series had the same problem. everybody loves an underdog, but if the baddies outclass and outnumber the hero so greatly then good triumphing over evil in a head to head fight becomes implausible and you're left with "politely convince our mighty foes not to destroy us utterly."

all in all the series is 3 good to above average games that would have been better released as one. Cut a lot of the filler dialog and every vehicle mission. and change the Virmire mission so that Kaiden and Ashley both die.

No Mass Effect Andromeda on your list?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Hungry posted:

The game was incredibly easy.

Unrevealed aliens pose zero danger because they don't act. So, any good strategy will incorporate this by minimizing unit moves into unrevealed terrain until all currently visible aliens have been defeated. For the purposes of any particular firefight, the unrevealed aliens just don't exist yet. The player knows that nothing is going to come unexpectedly out of an unobserved part of the map.

I don't have the technical video game design vocabulary to describe this other than to say it's loving bullshit. It almost single-handedly ruined my enjoyment of the game because it meant I was playing against a now-visible series of artificial mechanics rather than the illusion of organic behavior.

This feels like something a lot of games struggle with. Affect is often lost as soon as mechanics become visible, unless those mechanics are very carefully designed.

I have no idea what any of these words mean but the 2 recent xcom games and their xpacs were both real good

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1069337439838322688 :getin:

BoneDaddy1969
Mar 4, 2018

For a bunch of JRPG nerds, what's the C-SPAM opinion of Fire Emblem? I recently finally got around to beating Sacred Stones, and I want to kill the writer who kept making just about every royal brother/sister combo in the GBA games have some weird, hosed up incest overtones in some convos.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yinlock posted:

mass effect 2 was genuinely good and also a complete fluke

The first one was tons of fun too, it was just really janky at times and the storyline wasn't always that hot.

BoneDaddy1969 posted:

For a bunch of JRPG nerds, what's the C-SPAM opinion of Fire Emblem? I recently finally got around to beating Sacred Stones, and I want to kill the writer who kept making just about every royal brother/sister combo in the GBA games have some weird, hosed up incest overtones in some convos.

I only played the GameCube one, it was really fun and I don't remember any incest (there may have been some, though). The game was realpolitik as all get-out, which is fine by me.

Filthy Hans has issued a correction as of 00:58 on Dec 3, 2018

Ayatollah Hermione
Apr 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747

etalian posted:

No Mass Effect Andromeda on your list?

never played it, no opinion

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

420 Gank Mid posted:

I have no idea what any of these words mean but the 2 recent xcom games and their xpacs were both real good

He's just talk about the contrast to older games.

For the older X-com games the aliens would randomly wander around the maps until they got attracted to combat

In the newer X-com games you have a stealth/reveal mechanic with the alien squads in a more sort of canned way.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yes, in the first new XCOM you could use overwatch creep to play safely, never fighting more than one alien 'pod' at one time by limiting your movement and limiting the number of aliens shooting at your guys.

That's less of a problem in the second game because you have to push forward due to mission timers or due to objectives being taken while you creep forward in order to force the player into less advantageous situations. That means the optimal play in XCOM 2 is to kill aliens before they can shoot back. Some people complain about this, but I think they're dumb. Especially on higher difficulties and roaming patrols that becomes much harder to do, and the puzzle of accomplishing that with a growing number of choices and abilities available to your soldiers makes the game a lot of fun, even if you play optimally.

Yinlock posted:

mass effect 2 was genuinely good and also a complete fluke

ME2 is the first time I noticed a company actually put some effort into incorporating the basic principles of cinematography into their game. And it really paid off.

The Mars mission music in ME3 is really good, and all the effort they put into combat really paid off in that game. Shame about the story.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 01:04 on Dec 3, 2018

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The DLC for Mass Effect 3 was actually good.

BoneDaddy1969
Mar 4, 2018

Filthy Hans posted:

I only played the GameCube one, it was really fun

PoR is my favorite, so yeah it's good as hell

quote:

and I don't remember any incest (there may have been some, though.

Path of Radiance didn't have any but the C supports for some characters read so loving akwardly

And then of course the fact that FE4's main plot point is that a half-brother and half-sister get manipulated into birthing Literal Satan out of an incestuous relationship

BoneDaddy1969
Mar 4, 2018

Also is it fine to start Mass Effect at 2 or do I need to play 1 for some required plot reading

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dreylad posted:

ME2 is the first time I noticed a company actually put some effort into incorporating the basic principles of cinematography into their game. And it really paid off.

The Mars mission music in ME3 is really good, and all the effort they put into combat really paid off in that game. Shame about the story.

its cool how they went from me1 where everyone has the same 6 canned animations and everyone just walks off the screen when they're done talking to me2 where someone actually bothered to read a sophomore book on how to use a camera to me3 where the animations look janky as gently caress

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

I never got very far in Kerbal because I refused to put Kerbals in missions I didn't know they could come back from, and so instead had to rely on autonomous vehicles with heavy-rear end batteries in them

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

BoneDaddy1969 posted:

Also is it fine to start Mass Effect at 2 or do I need to play 1 for some required plot reading
i think youc an skip 1. most all the chars from 1 are gone in 2 with some minor cameo-esque side quests at most. i dont think there was too much plot from 1 that carries over or at least isn't re-explained

also i never played me3, i should prolly get around to it but 2 was pretty rad

shame that bioware is literally dead n gutted in every way now and prolly will be officially shut off at some point soon

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!
I enjoyed all three Mass Effects, though I'm not blind to the numerous plot holes hastily papered over between each game, nor that the ending(s) weren't a bit of a letdown after going through all that to get there.

I agree with whomever mentioned earlier that the background galaxy stuff was more interesting than the whole war with the Reapers main plot, and it's a pity Bioware punched itself so thoroughly in the dick with Andromeda that we'll likely never see anything further there again.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dreylad posted:

It felt like they spent more time on the earlier levels especially how bland the last few levels on Earth look visually.

Ayatollah Hermione
Apr 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BoneDaddy1969 posted:

If you start with 2 it will make all the decisions from one for you most notably whether or not to kill a major character. for replays, yes start with 2.

e: I'm wrong. i remembered an interactive comic dlc called genesis that lets you watch the plot for ME1 while making the major choices.

Ayatollah Hermione has issued a correction as of 01:17 on Dec 3, 2018

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

doesn't AOC play league of legends too?

gamers rise up :pcgaming:

e: before i forget, thanks to this thread i now have Banished and Freeman on my wishlist. I'll see if I can't pick em up during the christmas sale. anyways, there haven't been many good games based on the russian revolution, have there? i know Revolution Under Siege is one, and battlefield 1 had a russia expansion. is that it?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ayatollah Hermione posted:

If you start with 2 it will make all the decisions from one for you most notably whether or not to kill a major character. for replays, yes start with 2.

Also there are save games out their for important choices like waifu plus it gives a slight starting bonus.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Finished the Xenoblade 2 xpack. It's got some good stuff to say about assuming just because The Big Evil of the moment has been defeated that poo poo is gonna be fine, and what comes after. What comes after is that Torna is totally destroyed in the fight between Hikari and that guy who looks like he wears Gucci and like, half of everyone dies, including one of the kids who is with you the entire game. The Man Who Will Be Pope then kills his rivals, rises to power in the power vacuum Torna's destruction left and uses it to expand his particular blend of religious fascism with a combination of papal armies and puppet rulers, leading into the world ending era of the main game. He also murders Lora, the main character, takes Kasumi and mutilates her core crystal so he can graft it onto himself to become god and Jin sets off to become Right About Literally Everything. This all happening because humans are basically poo poo and don't change (some humans being good and not being a nihilist is the main game plot).

Also, don't trust the Catholic Church is a p. big plot line and that is C-SPAM as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

don't trust the church is about as big a jrpg cliche as spiky hair

BoneDaddy1969 posted:

don't play 1, it's ugly, janky garbage.