Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
There is a Simpsons episode where Burns asks Smithers "So what are you doing this weekend? Something gay, undoubtedly?" Smithers looks like he's just about to answer, and Burns says "Gay as in fun, enjoyable, amusing. The old meaning of the word".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Hattie Masters posted:

I interpret it as that he's not so much bisexual as just open to any and all opportunities, including men and women.

I'm confused on what you think bisexuality is, even if you were going for the tired "bisexuals hate trans and NB folks" definition

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

evobatman posted:

There is a Simpsons episode where Burns asks Smithers "So what are you doing this weekend? Something gay, undoubtedly?" Smithers looks like he's just about to answer, and Burns says "Gay as in fun, enjoyable, amusing. The old meaning of the word".

Burns's line is, "You know, light-hearted, fancy free? Mothers, lock up your daughters, Smithers is on the town!" so he's not even that aware of how Smithers would have taken his meaning.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

nonathlon posted:

I also recollect that the 90s has several very mild lesbian moments that were "the kiss that shocked America": LA Law, Roseanne, some other shows? I don't remember much actual shock, just magazines saying there was shock.

It was a big deal when it happened in Ally McBeal and Friends.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Danaru posted:

I'm confused on what you think bisexuality is, even if you were going for the tired "bisexuals hate trans and NB folks" definition

That line also stood out for me. Maybe he's not bisexual, he's just sexually attracted to both women and men???

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

mostlygray posted:

I agree. I was so excited to see the Roseanne revival. I was able to stomach it until the "make sure to beat your kids" bit. I've been watching "The Conners" but, without a center, it really hasn't found it's feet. I assume it's going to be/already has been cancelled but I think it still has a chance if they can get Goodman to put his back into it. He can't be the center of the show, but the writers should be able to find the center if they try.

Ratings are about half what they were with Rosanne, but it’s still pulling in 7 million a night. I don’t think it’ll be canceled this year unless it’s prohibitively expensive to produce.

I personally like it better without Rosanne. I always watched it for Dan and the kids anyway.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Alhazred posted:

It was a big deal when it happened in Ally McBeal and Friends.

And on Deep Space Nine.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Samuringa posted:

That line also stood out for me. Maybe he's not bisexual, he's just sexually attracted to both women and men???

Bisexuality is a spectrum?

A lot of things are on a spectrum.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

CannonFodder posted:

"It's called 'romaine-ing the taint'' and involves eating a bag of salad off of someone's rear end. It explains why the kids are getting ecoli infections at an alarming rate."

That explains where all the e.coli came from.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So instead of saying "I'm gay" we should be saying "I'm mostly gay." We really are growing up.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mister Kingdom posted:

And on Deep Space Nine.

Yeah, hard to believe that this got them a ton, a poo poo-ton, of nasty letters even though it was explicitly couched in sci-fi bullshit that a man and a woman were still in love in their two new incredibly, incredibly hot female bodies.

That's how lovely the 90s were, must have been nice to have been completely unaware of it because it didn't affect you :shepface:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pick posted:

Yeah, hard to believe that this got them a ton, a poo poo-ton, of nasty letters even though it was explicitly couched in sci-fi bullshit that a man and a woman were still in love in their two new incredibly, incredibly hot female bodies.

That's how lovely the 90s were, must have been nice to have been completely unaware of it because it didn't affect you :shepface:

I’m watching Babylon 5 for the first time, and there’s what I’m pretty sure is a romance plot between two women, but I can’t actually tell because they speak entirely in ambiguous dialogue and have some platonic reason for moving in together and never touch each other in even a platonic way.

The ground that lgbt representation and acceptance has made up in the last 20 years is impressive, considering the backlash feminism and black rights ended up facing by the 80s.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Samuringa posted:

Poor phrasing and explanation. Bob's sexuality seems to mostly be reactive, as we never see him really persue anyone other than Linda but he's pretty open to whatever.

Also I'm pretty sure Bisexuality doesn't quite cover being pretty down for making out with a bull in a wig in a dream so

I'm not going to say any more, other than that also the Episodes with Darrel in them haven't aged amazing either due to the fact that Aziz Ansari is now persona non grata

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

He’s self described as bobsexual

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m watching Babylon 5 for the first time, and there’s what I’m pretty sure is a romance plot between two women, but I can’t actually tell because they speak entirely in ambiguous dialogue and have some platonic reason for moving in together and never touch each other in even a platonic way.

The ground that lgbt representation and acceptance has made up in the last 20 years is impressive, considering the backlash feminism and black rights ended up facing by the 80s.

Yes, Ivanova and Talia are in a relationship and that's how loving ambiguous they had to be about it.

Also, there's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it line later where two characters are "undercover" and their identities are a married couple. They're both dudes.

My only counterpoint is I think we're way, way, way too self-congratulatory about the progress that has been made since. You wouldn't see a bisexual Ivanova handled that way today because she'd fit a ridiculous, weird, socially-accepted cookie cutter version of bisexuality that we've decided is palatable. Same with gay characters, who, among other things, generally have to be stupidly unthreatening and also die very easily.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Pick posted:

I wonder if this was to make up for Dr Crusher not wanting to do the space nasty with the Trill who went from a male host to female one in "The Host"?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Hattie Masters posted:

Poor phrasing and explanation. Bob's sexuality seems to mostly be reactive, as we never see him really persue anyone other than Linda but he's pretty open to whatever.

Also I'm pretty sure Bisexuality doesn't quite cover being pretty down for making out with a bull in a wig in a dream so

I'm not going to say any more, other than that also the Episodes with Darrel in them haven't aged amazing either due to the fact that Aziz Ansari is now persona non grata

What happened with Aziz Ansari? I must have missed that one.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ariong posted:

What happened with Aziz Ansari? I must have missed that one.

https://babe.net/2018/01/13/aziz-ansari-28355

Len has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Dec 2, 2018

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Hattie Masters posted:

I will say, on topic, that some of the very early episodes of Bob's Burgers do not hold up when putting them into the context of the later series. Season 2 is where it started to hit its stride in a big way.
For sure. Once Bob's Burgers gets it together, it's a very sweet and wholesome show in its own way. All the Belchers are good people with good hearts and Bob and Linda are kind, supportive parents. Early episodes tried much harder to be edgy and raunchy and Bob was a kinda lovely guy and Louise was an amoral sociopath.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Yes, Ivanova and Talia are in a relationship and that's how loving ambiguous they had to be about it.

Also, there's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it line later where two characters are "undercover" and their identities are a married couple. They're both dudes.

My only counterpoint is I think we're way, way, way too self-congratulatory about the progress that has been made since. You wouldn't see a bisexual Ivanova handled that way today because she'd fit a ridiculous, weird, socially-accepted cookie cutter version of bisexuality that we've decided is palatable. Same with gay characters, who, among other things, generally have to be stupidly unthreatening and also die very easily.

I liked Lindsay Ellis' explanation of bisexual characters in films as the "Slutty McSlutterson who has to slut it up with everyone because: bi" in her Rent review. Gay people can get away without being all about sex at this point but bi people seemingly can't live without it for a second

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Aesop Poprock posted:

I liked Lindsay Ellis' explanation of bisexual characters in films as the "Slutty McSlutterson who has to slut it up with everyone because: bi" in her Rent review. Gay people can get away without being all about sex at this point but bi people seemingly can't live without it for a second

Bi identity in media exists in fuckability superposition: if you’re not constantly going after men and women at every moment, you collapse into a boring old gay or straight. You can only be observed properly at the orgy, and then only if there’s a good ratio.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Bi identity in media exists in fuckability superposition: if you’re not constantly going after men and women at every moment, you collapse into a boring old gay or straight. You can only be observed properly at the orgy, and then only if there’s a good ratio.

you don't really even need the 'in media' qualifier; i've seen plenty of bi people get poo poo from other queer people for being in het relationships, it sucks

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Every minority has another minority they like to poo poo on. It's hosed up.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Sounds like something a Cagot would say. Or wouldnt say, Im not totally sure.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

People who write erotic versions of Star Trek, where all the characters are furries, like Kirk is an ocelot or something, and they put a furry version of themselves as the star of the story.

I sometimes wonder if there is a bottom rung to the ladder of society, and I think it might be coprophiliacs.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

I sometimes wonder if there is a bottom rung to the ladder of society, and I think it might be coprophiliacs.

Well, luckily they don’t mind.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

People who write erotic versions of Star Trek, where all the characters are furries, like Kirk is an ocelot or something, and they put a furry version of themselves as the star of the story.

Thankfully, the nazi variation of every identity is usually reviled by everyone else, so somewhere there’s a basement full of dudes eating poo poo and when nazi ted shows up, they break a pool cue over his head.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!
I remember having a pretty disturbing discussion about this with a couple of people I thought were sane and rational. Turns out they weren't. Long story short: The woman's an attention whore, Aziz did nothing wrong, consent can't be withdrawn. And men can't flirt with women without being accused of sexual assault, apparently.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
"Ted, there is no room for racism in this poo poo-eater's circle of coprophiliac contacts. All shades of brown, greenish brown, and reddish brown are equally valid choices to smear on your sex partner regardless of the colour of the anus they came from. I'm sorry, but your white butts only policy is unwelcome and you're going to have to leave."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Scherloch posted:

I remember having a pretty disturbing discussion about this with a couple of people I thought were sane and rational. Turns out they weren't. Long story short: The woman's an attention whore, Aziz did nothing wrong, consent can't be withdrawn. And men can't flirt with women without being accused of sexual assault, apparently.

“Consent can’t be withdrawn” what

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Whatev posted:

For sure. Once Bob's Burgers gets it together, it's a very sweet and wholesome show in its own way. All the Belchers are good people with good hearts and Bob and Linda are kind, supportive parents. Early episodes tried much harder to be edgy and raunchy and Bob was a kinda lovely guy and Louise was an amoral sociopath.

Wasn't there a story about that where the writers talked about how they had to make season 1 all edgelordy like that in order to get renewed past the first season, and once they knew season 2 was a lock, they were able to make the "real" Bob's Burgers?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arivia posted:

“Consent can’t be withdrawn” what

That's the rallying cry of the people who think its a legitimate fear that they will be having sex with a girl and then she says "Hey, get off me" and when they don't immediately back off they'll be jailed for rape.

Also the whole "It's not fair to stop when I still want to finish and you already said yes" mentality.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

pentyne posted:

Also the whole "It's not fair to stop when I still want to finish and you already said yes" mentality.

That's just when you do what all women do after sex with these people - go into the bathroom and jerk off.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

BioEnchanted posted:

That's just when you do what all women do after sex with these people - go into the bathroom and jerk off.

Do I have to do it in the bathroom? All my tools are in the garage.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Push El Burrito posted:

Do I have to do it in the bathroom? All my tools are in the garage.

Pfft, lookit this scrub who doesn't have a bathroom in his car-hold.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

the_steve posted:

Wasn't there a story about that where the writers talked about how they had to make season 1 all edgelordy like that in order to get renewed past the first season, and once they knew season 2 was a lock, they were able to make the "real" Bob's Burgers?

I don't really know Bob's Burgers, but what I do know is that the first pitch for the show to Fox was that the Belchers were actually cannibals. The show's creator was a little too used to working with Adult Swim and had to learn to tone that down, and I wouldn't be surprised if that took a few seasons to completely happen for him.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cleretic posted:

I don't really know Bob's Burgers, but what I do know is that the first pitch for the show to Fox was that the Belchers were actually cannibals. The show's creator was a little too used to working with Adult Swim and had to learn to tone that down, and I wouldn't be surprised if that took a few seasons to completely happen for him.

If anything the show is like super clean for modern adult cartoon comedy in a heartwarming way, is that story a real thing?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

If anything the show is like super clean for modern adult cartoon comedy in a heartwarming way, is that story a real thing?

Oh yes

Loren Bouchard posted:

There was a brief period when I first started talking to them—because I was coming off of doing Lucy: Daughter Of The Devil and I had this kind of more occult-y, sort of darker edge to the way I was thinking then—I did pitch the show [as] a family of cannibals who runs a restaurant. There’s sort of a Sweeney Todd aspect to it. They basically said “everything but the cannibalism,” and that included the cast.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cool.

Isn't the first episode about the restaurant being suspected of being cannibals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hahaha I'm glad they kept the darker tones but yeah that doesn't sound like it would have worked as well