Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Herr Tog posted:

sounds like awesome science.

This WILL sting. A lot.

But it's only like a minute before someone makes the hottest hot sauce ever and completely destroy their tounges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Suspect Bucket posted:

This WILL sting. A lot.

But it's only like a minute before someone makes the hottest hot sauce ever and completely destroy their tounges.

this sounds like a job for LA Beast.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I’m really liking Dave’s Ghost Pepper sauce. It has a subtle flavor and good amount of heat, as well as a nice consistent look and texture.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Danny Cash Hot Sauce in Denver has a lot of good stuff. We got our super hot tolerance up eating lots of their Scotch Scorpion and some type of ghost chili, need to try their garlic ghost pepper still. Most of their stuff doesn't use extracts, but in store they have bottles of pure capsaicin extract so you can just put some drops of pure hotness in whatever too.

"Moruga Trinidad Scorpion Chile Peppers, Red Habanero, Scotch Whiskey, Vinegar & Salt. NO EXTRACTS."

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Heatonist apparently found a case of their fiery chipotle sauce and are selling the bottles off at $20 each for charity.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
"Found"

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I found a bottle of Fiery Chipotle in my fridge today. And by found I actually mean I didn't know it was in there.

It's a hanukkah miracle

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah, I’m not buying it either.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Now that it's sold out, I feel okay saying that the guys who made the fiery chipotle for Heatonist basically tweaked the recipe just enough that they could sell it under another name and sell it as Cutino's Chipotle now.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

nwin posted:

Yeah, I’m not buying it either.

But will you buy it?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Missing Name posted:

But will you buy it?

It’s sold out again

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

skooma512 posted:

I’m really liking Dave’s Ghost Pepper sauce. It has a subtle flavor and good amount of heat, as well as a nice consistent look and texture.

Give Melinda’s Ghost Pepper sauce a shot, it’s one of the best I’ve had and I really like Dave’s. I’ve been using it on subs with some fresh jalapeños from my garden I pickled. Thoroughly good.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Power of Pecota posted:

Now that it's sold out, I feel okay saying that the guys who made the fiery chipotle for Heatonist basically tweaked the recipe just enough that they could sell it under another name and sell it as Cutino's Chipotle now.

Why would you wait to share that info?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Space Jam posted:

Give Melinda’s Ghost Pepper sauce a shot, it’s one of the best I’ve had and I really like Dave’s. I’ve been using it on subs with some fresh jalapeños from my garden I pickled. Thoroughly good.

I don't have the link on hand but don't buy Melinda's.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

iospace posted:

I don't have the link on hand but don't buy Melinda's.

it's about ethics in hot sauce purchasing.

http://www.indiana.edu/~rcapub/v30n1/melindas.shtml

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

nwin posted:

Why would you wait to share that info?

They brought that batch back for charity and it'd feel lovely undercutting that.

Since I heard about this a few years back I stopped buying Melinda's, but I miss their Naga Jolokia, a stalwart in my college fridge. Also, a diner I went to earlier this year had their XXXtra Hot and I didn't hesitate to blast my hash browns with it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Power of Pecota posted:

They brought that batch back for charity and it'd feel lovely undercutting that.

From what I saw on reddit, it sounds like they had a direct copy of their Hot Ones version ready to release, in addition to the one you mentioned, but Hot Ones may have sent them a cease and desist letter before they were able to release it.

If that’s the case I wouldn’t feel too bad.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How's Marie Sharps?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

How's Marie Sharps?

Marie Sharps Belizian Heat is easily in my top 5 all time sauces. Its real loving good is what I am saying.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Flaggy posted:

Marie Sharps Belizian Heat is easily in my top 5 all time sauces. Its real loving good is what I am saying.

I'll give it a shot if I can find it locally. Apparently the partnership with Walmart is over.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'll give it a shot if I can find it locally. Apparently the partnership with Walmart is over.

I get mine from a local sporting goods store of all places. If you have a Jax close by they might have it, but I think you can look up distributors.

Here is amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...d=1322LLJU6CAD5

Distributor page: https://www.mariesharps.bz/distributors/

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
So 1498 is my new go to for breakfast. What a delicious hot sauce. I've got some Dawson's XXX Ghost Pepper mash opened as well, also a real contender. It's amazing how much flavor the newer peppers bring to still have good heat.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I picked up a Yellowbird hot sauce in the course of Secret Santa related event. The serrano one, at least, is excellent.

edit: apparently it was endorsed by the thread last page! :toot:

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Trinidad scorpion (garden-grown) top round jerky fresh out of the dehydrator. Smells incredible, but I may have overdone the dosage as my hand is burning just from touch. Hoping it’s edible.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

mischief posted:

So 1498 is my new go to for breakfast. What a delicious hot sauce. I've got some Dawson's XXX Ghost Pepper mash opened as well, also a real contender. It's amazing how much flavor the newer peppers bring to still have good heat.

1498 is the poo poo. Always try to keep a bottle around.

Lately I've been real into this tamarind sauce from a local dude/company http://www.arthurwaynehotsauce.com/mobile/mobilehome.aspx#SpicyMama

Mild enough to use liberally, but still hot enough.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I FINALLY FOUND THIS AND NOW I UNDERSTAND:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Space Jam posted:

I like Melinda's too. It has a nice flavor and somewhat lesser heat. But in light of the trademark theft I'll try Marie Sharp's when I run out of the Dave's. I scored a bunch from World Market since they were like 3 bucks each and I didn't want to keep coming back for more.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

thank you for this hot link and info

Flaggy posted:

I am adding it to my list of things to try

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I picked up a Yellowbird hot sauce in the course of Secret Santa related event. The serrano one, at least, is excellent.

edit: apparently it was endorsed by the thread last page! :toot:

welcome to the fold friend

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Got some Yellowbird Habanero and Melinda's Naga Jolokia for Christmas. Yellowbird is great, and I've been putting it on everything, but the Melinda's was disappointingly mild, and the taste is nothing to write home about. I just found out my local Whole Foods carries Dave's Scorpion Pepper and rear end Kickin' Carolina Reaper. Any thoughts on these two?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I found Melinda's Scotch Bonnet sauce to be severly lacking in flavor, I'll probably end up leaving it at work for the cooks.

Marie Sharp's Smoked Habanero is really good, especially on milder foods like deviled eggs where a good smoky punch is perfect. The Matouk's on the other hand is also killer, it's my go to for fried chicken, fish, and shrimp.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 31, 2018

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
My dad was messing around with my (rather basic collection of) hot sauces and mixed some El Yucateco Black Label into ketchup (He was out of sriracha and wanted something for chicken) and drat if the smoky-sweet-tomatoy-heat combination doesn't make a respectable fast lazy BBQ sauce flavor profile.

(For a personal heavier kick, I'm a fan of this bourbon chipotle habanero sauce for some BBQ flavor but a significantly spicier punch)

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Archenteron posted:

My dad was messing around with my (rather basic collection of) hot sauces and mixed some El Yucateco Black Label into ketchup (He was out of sriracha and wanted something for chicken) and drat if the smoky-sweet-tomatoy-heat combination doesn't make a respectable fast lazy BBQ sauce flavor profile.

what kind of ketchup, I may have to do this.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What are your recommendations for making a hotter than average batch of hot wings. Frank's doesn't really seem hot or even medium anymore but I don't want something that I'd going to taste lovely.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

What are your recommendations for making a hotter than average batch of hot wings. Frank's doesn't really seem hot or even medium anymore but I don't want something that I'd going to taste lovely.

Frank's + Habanero powder until you reach the spice level you want.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/nashville-style-hot-chicken

This.

Adjust the chilli powders to your preference or add dark smoky powders like ancho for a more complex flavor than just plain cayenne.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
My fermented hot sauce was still active months later and when I shook it it exploded in my face, thankfully I was wearing glasses!

I took it home from work because it's safety hazard and I'll be damned if it didn't explode again when I was trying to be careful.

I've since cut it with the last of my Marie sharps hottest grade habanero and a thimble or 2 of apple cider vinegar.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I got some Secret Aardvark and Dirty Dick’s sauces for Christmas. Never had either before and they’re both amazing.

I must be a major wussy, though, because the Secret Aardvark has a little too much kick for me. Otherwise I’d pour that poo poo on everything.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
I bought some Mrs. Renfros ghost pepper salsa from Kroger the other day and it's pretty drat extreme. It has a great flavor but it had me in tears after a few chips.

The ghost peppers are listed pretty high on the ingredient list.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I love that salsa. There's a Mrs Renfro's mango habanero salsa that is also really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Refenros is loving gross if I am remembering right. I bought one of their sauces and it was like thickened with corn starch and jelly like.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 23, 2019