Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

I’m watching my way through Avatar:TLA for the first time, and I’ve just watched Tales of Ba Sing Se and Appa’s Lost Days. Oh man, those are some gut wrenching episodes.

Leaves on the vine...

There's some debate, I believe, over whether Mako Iwamatsu was able to finish his lines for Tales, or if that's the point where Iroh's replacemen VA, Greg Baldwin takes over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Gaz-L posted:

There's some debate, I believe, over whether Mako Iwamatsu was able to finish his lines for Tales, or if that's the point where Iroh's replacemen VA, Greg Baldwin takes over.

My understanding is that he was able to complete almost all the lines for season 2, and it was just a few revisions that Baldwin did in that season.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
RIP Stephen Hillenburg, creator of Spongebob Squarepants and board artist/director/writer on Rocko's Modern Life.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/spongebob-squarepants-creator-dead-dies-stephen-hillenburg-1203037362/

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
RIP. Hillenburg and Stan Lee are two dudes whose creations have really influenced me, so it's oddly gutting to lose them both in one month.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I heard about his illness a while back, but it still hurts to know he died so young, of a condition so rare and awful. Thanks for all the laughs, and Rest In Peace.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I’m watching my way through Avatar:TLA for the first time, and I’ve just watched Tales of Ba Sing Se and Appa’s Lost Days. Oh man, those are some gut wrenching episodes.

Leaves on the vine...

Oh my sweet summer child, I envy you. Try not to spoil yourself if you can possibly help it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Miraculous season 3 started today! :toot: (Christ knows where and when the next episode will be shown, though.) Good fun - pretty low stakes compared to the season 2 opener and ending, but having Lilah actively seek out an akuma to cause poo poo for Marinette and Adrien as much as their superhero alts was a new twist on the usual formula.

How Ladybug dealt with Chameleon in the end was actually kind of horrific if you think about it. Chameleon's power is to take on the form and abilities of whoever she kisses. Ladybug tricks her into kissing a live oyster... and then shucks her to get at the akumatised object inside. Which is fatal to an oyster! So I guess Miraculous Ladybug can restore the dead, which it would pretty much have to considering the devastation to Paris in 'Syren' and 'Frozer'.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

watching she-ra

they just up and stole a horse that's pretty rude

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kidcoelacanth posted:

watching she-ra

She-Ra has a thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874976&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

watching she-ra

Excuse me, you can't just OWN horses, they are free beings.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I have so many questions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDCt7Wi04SI

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
What kind of boomer executive thought that that garbage needed a reboot? Popeye was always bad.
At it's best, it was toxic masculine military propaganda and advertisement for misinformed nutrition facts.
Seriously, the only reason I can think of which would explain this would be that some old coot wants children to experience the joys and lessons he experienced 60 years ago.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 2, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

cant cook creole bream posted:

What kind of boomer executive thought that that garbage needed a reboot? Popeye was always bad.
At it's best, it was toxic masculine military propaganda and advertisement for misinformed nutrition facts.
Seriously, the only reason I can think of which would explain this would be that some old coot wants children to experience the joys and lessons he experienced 60 years ago.

The original Popeye comics are shockingly good.

Unfortunately this resembles them not at all, and is... I'm having a hard time explaining why it's so visually off-putting? I think part of it is that they've updated the least important parts of the character designs to look modern, while keeping the iconic (and most blatantly anachronistic) features intact, so it looks like a bunch of old people trying to wear their children's clothes.

Also why does Popeye have frosted tips?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Rand Brittain posted:

The original Popeye comics are shockingly good.

I disagree.

Rand Brittain posted:

I think part of it is that they've updated the least important parts of the character designs to look modern, while keeping the iconic (and most blatantly anachronistic) features intact,

Those kneecaps look gross.
Also, it bothers me that the stupid flying animal-thing tickles the feet through the shoes. Just have him lose a shoe when he lands there, people!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp

Rand Brittain posted:

Unfortunately this resembles them not at all, and is... I'm having a hard time explaining why it's so visually off-putting? I think part of it is that they've updated the least important parts of the character designs to look modern, while keeping the iconic (and most blatantly anachronistic) features intact, so it looks like a bunch of old people trying to wear their children's clothes.

Also why does Popeye have frosted tips?

It just looks cheap. Whatever the minimal possible budget is to make a cartoon, they can't have spent much more than that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It looks so.....fake.

They cancelled Genndy's movie for this?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That looks amazingly terribly cheap. And what’s with no voices? Bordering on Elsagate-standard cheap flash stuff.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nothing will ever top the bizarreness of Popeye and Son, but I don't like that blonde Popeye or that shaven Bluto. Real poo poo animation.

Excuse you. https://youtu.be/kfrbqLO-TCM

It's slapstick, which while in many ways couched in violence, it's what you relied on when you weren't sure that any of the dialogue was going to work. The Fliescher color specials are kinda masterpieces in their own right, being an accomplishment of technology and mixed media.

While the genre of big strong guy beating up bad guys may be less appealing to these days, it's still the centerpiece of a hell of a lot of things, like the whole superhero genre.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

That looks amazingly terribly cheap. And what’s with no voices? Bordering on Elsagate-standard cheap flash stuff.
I mean that's probably literally what they're going for, they probably saw how popular Joker Pregnant Elsa Spiderman Peeing in the Shower Funny Cartoons for Kids videos were and wanted to reverse engineer their success

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The 7th Guest posted:

I mean that's probably literally what they're going for, they probably saw how popular Joker Pregnant Elsa Spiderman Peeing in the Shower Funny Cartoons for Kids videos were and wanted to reverse engineer their success

Uh...what?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://youtu.be/LKp2gikIkD8

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Now for something not horrible https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_4zQgSSFYg

Looks like Long Gone Gulch is getting its pilot episode out in 2019, and features voicework by EG Daily, Danny Cooksey and Eric Bauza among others.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I mean, I don't think it was high art but I found Popeye entertaining. And yeah the nutrition facts are misinformed but like, it was still a cartoon that encouraged eating vegetables, which is an objective good.

The_Doctor posted:

That looks amazingly terribly cheap. And what's with no voices? Bordering on Elsagate-standard cheap flash stuff.

yeah, someone needs to take this to the comment section for any given Teen Titans Go/She-Ra related video and show them what cheap animation actually looks like.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Thompsons posted:

Now for something not horrible https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_4zQgSSFYg

Looks like Long Gone Gulch is getting its pilot episode out in 2019, and features voicework by EG Daily, Danny Cooksey and Eric Bauza among others.

Huh, that kinda looks like something that came out of 2004. Also, it just occurred to me that it's been long enough that something from 2004 might as well qualify as 'retro'.

Huh.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I blame you all for CN now replaying total drama island. drat you and drat Canada!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The_Doctor posted:

What about the music? It just isnt right without it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

I blame you all for CN now replaying total drama island. drat you and drat Canada!

Hey don't look at me, I was perfectly fine with endless TTG with occasional breaks for other stuff but noooo someone just had to wish on the monkey's paw for something else to get overplayed.

side note: I watched the TTG movie this weekend and it was very good. Highly recommend if you even slightly like the series.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Is Craig not doing well or something? It feels like I never see it on

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gaunab posted:

Honestly the first season of that series is actually pretty decent

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dangerous Person posted:

Is Craig not doing well or something? It feels like I never see it on

It's been on regularly on weekday nights, hasn't it?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

drrockso20 posted:

Yup. I watched an episode ages ago because the character designs made me think Lord & Miller were involved (they weren't) and it was good enough for me to finish the season. I don't remember if I watched any more of it though.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

It looks so.....fake.

They cancelled Genndy's movie for this?

Aw man they cancelled that? I never gave a poo poo about Popeye but Genndy's work has always been fun as hell to watch

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
The rebooted it last time with Popeye and Son. I won't be happy until this reboot is Popeye and Son and Grandson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWaPJReoBMM

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

asecondduck posted:

Yup. I watched an episode ages ago because the character designs made me think Lord & Miller were involved (they weren't) and it was good enough for me to finish the season. I don't remember if I watched any more of it though.

Season 2 is mediocre, season 3 is okay but has problems, season 4 is good(and has the best finale in the series), season 5 is a train wreck, season 6 is decent but too short for it's own good, and season 7 is about as good as season 1 in most regards

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

this looks like it was animated in that Arthur comic creator thing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The answer is 'It was cheap'.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

drrockso20 posted:

Different strokes for different folks I guess; I find everything total drama to be terrible.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/PopeyeTweetsk/status/1069647232419414016

If you have to explain your intentions with your cartoon in a long Twitter thread, you hosed up.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/PopeyeTweetsk/status/1069647232419414016

If you have to explain your intentions with your cartoon in a long Twitter thread, you hosed up.

Yeah. I like that at the end, they mentioned that Bluto now tries to take Popeye's spinach, which makes me think "why didn't Bluto try to eat spinach to counter Popeye's eating of spinach to win the fight, if it has such magical powers in-universe" but now I am thinking "Why doesn't Bluto get his own spinach from the grocery store? Is Popeye's spinach now some special magical spinach?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Waffleman_ posted:

It's been on regularly on weekday nights, hasn't it?

It is but I never see it on the weekends. I wouldn't mind the weekday slot but it comes on while I'm on my way home from work so I never get to see it