Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RareAcumen posted:

Aww poo poo it was a Nazi thing? Dang I always thought it was just a 'shut up about anime' or 'put away your Amiibos' thing.

Unless you can find some black or Mexican dudes, then everyone can mark out about Dragon Ball Z.

It was an anime thing, because Power Level is specifically DBZ-related. Hide that you're a weeb. Don't destroy the punching test gauge like Vegeta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

RareAcumen posted:

Aww poo poo it was a Nazi thing? Dang I always thought it was just a 'shut up about anime' or 'put away your Amiibos' thing.

Unless you can find some black or Mexican dudes, then everyone can mark out about Dragon Ball Z.

Much like everything else, it was a weeb/nerd thing that the Nazi's stole for their use, thus tainting it forever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheHeadSage posted:

Much like everything else, it was a weeb/nerd thing that the Nazi's stole for their use, thus tainting it forever.

Nazis are big on stealing asian culture for their own imagery.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Also, you know, 4chan.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nazis are big on stealing asian culture for their own imagery.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheHeadSage posted:

Well I've come this far liking terrible things and I'm not gonna stop here!

And at least I actually did have the meaning of the phrase right though.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I finally watched this and find it impressive overall in the links it draws between the film and our present era, given how far fascism and nazis were from mainstream in 1999. I disagree that Marla remains grotesque by the end of the story: she seems gross because female sexuality terrifies Ed Norton and she only seems crazy because you can’t understand her perfectly reasonable confusion at how he treats her until the end.

Yeah, the argument that it is impossible to like Marla, even at subsequent viewings, strikes me as really off. Not only do you know that a lot of her chaotic behavior can be explained by her having to deal with the protagonist(s), but if you are a well adjusted person you knowing she is in that situation should elicit some sympathy. Also, the second time around you know that this world is a world where people invent personalities in order to beat themselves up and found terrorist groups. Like, she's not that crazy; stealing laundry, talking poo poo and smoking is small potatoes in this world.

I get why any sympathy for Marla can't be countenanced in her reading though, it inevitably invites the idea that Marla and the emotional connection she represents is what the protagonist should have been seeking out, and that everything bad that happens in the movie is a result of him running from or inventing alternatives to that.

The Struggle Session read that the movie is actually a leftwing/anarchist movie and everything that happens is good and right is pretty dumb though. It came out at the right time, tapped into the right zeitgeist, and has a bunch cool anarchist imagery in it, but no way does it propose or reflect any coherent leftwing ideology.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

'Hide your powerlevel' originated in online anime communities about a decade ago, expressing the desire not to be associated in public with the greasy weirdos running around with naruto headbands and peppering their speech with random Japanese words. If you were into anime in the early 2000s then it kinda made sense. You had to be there and witness it.

The concept and expression lost importance as anime became more popular in the west, but because the modern alt-right is rooted in online communities and grew in large part out of certain bits of 4chan, they've adopted the expression.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Biomute posted:

Yeah, the argument that it is impossible to like Marla, even at subsequent viewings, strikes me as really off.
It was the part I disagreed most with too. Feeling sympathy for Marla was one of the biggest things I noticed when I first rewatched it.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Hungry posted:

'Hide your powerlevel' originated in online anime communities about a decade ago, expressing the desire not to be associated in public with the greasy weirdos running around with naruto headbands and peppering their speech with random Japanese words. If you were into anime in the early 2000s then it kinda made sense. You had to be there and witness it.

The concept and expression lost importance as anime became more popular in the west, but because the modern alt-right is rooted in online communities and grew in large part out of certain bits of 4chan, they've adopted the expression.

4Chan's baby Nazis and regular Nazis love to take ownership of general nerd poo poo. The one that always bugged me is "Kek," which originated in WoW. Kek is Orcish for lol and was an innocuous phrase for nearly a decade until 4chan decided to abscond with the phrase and ruin it for everybody.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Okay dumb youtube on android question: I just had an embeded video from this thread continue to play on top when I switched away to another app. This is a very useful feature! I've never seen that happen before and I can't for the life of me work out how to make it do it again. I just want to play picross and watch quinton review Dr Who fanfiction simultaneously, what am I missing here?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Nella on Tomatoes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfRL7VizflA

Actually I'm not sure what is actually in that drink so technically she's on that but talking about tomatoes.

Dan's finale to 50 Shades got buried but I wanna say that it was worth the wait and those last few shots had me doing proper LOLs which I don't often do.

However I must confess that I am an awful person because I had never seen EL James/Erica Mitchell in person and when she popped up in that video my initial reaction was to giggle that she looked exactly how I thought she would.

Here's hoping that at some time along the line we get some behind the scenes memoir about how she actually was on set because that poo poo seems terrible/fascinating/hilarious.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

AFashionableHat posted:

I've seen some of his stuff and the dude always gave me a weird vibe. That said--I went to his Twitter and this was what he'd posted:

https://twitter.com/RWhiteGoose/status/1067707564689776642

I was surprised. Doesn't excuse anything--but taking responsibility is a refreshing change (even if it's the starting line, not the finish line; some of these were like six months ago, my dude).

On the other hand, I'm not surprised at the other guy's response. Not one bit.

by the way the person who outed goose and grav (the other nazi speedrunner who got banned from agdq) was previously known for also getting banned from gdq events as well as posting insightful tweets such as this

it's poo poo all the way down

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

given it was all verified nazis pulling each other down into ban hell with dumb grudges owns actually

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Joe talks about BFV

The comments is full of the "I'm not a sexist just a historian!" stuff you expect. Including one guy talking about lazer raptors and loving dragons. What is it with these nerds who go "Women in a war game?! Why not dragons?!", someone said something like that to me when I made a comment of "historical accuracy: Take a sniper bullet to the gut and still run an 8 minute mile".

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Leal posted:

Joe talks about BFV

The comments is full of the "I'm not a sexist just a historian!" stuff you expect. Including one guy talking about lazer raptors and loving dragons. What is it with these nerds who go "Women in a war game?! Why not dragons?!", someone said something like that to me when I made a comment of "historical accuracy: Take a sniper bullet to the gut and still run an 8 minute mile".

What I was seeing was that Battlefield 5 launched to no real fanfare since there wasn't any marketing or hype, and that's why there's been such a big price drop on it out of the gate, and that EA is now doing this:

https://twitter.com/LegacyKillaHD/status/1069195534362165248
https://twitter.com/mrfeelswildride/status/1069411883189321728

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Leal posted:

What is it with these nerds who go "Women in a war game?! Why not dragons?!"

Because they don't actually give a poo poo about history and just want to regurgitate the whitewashed lies around "american history" and it's exceptionalism therein alongside their usual bigotry.

Also what though, when did BFV not have marketing, I saw a bunch of poo poo for it leading up to release and people were constantly jabbering about it, even if a lot of it was negatively by weedy chuds.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

Okay dumb youtube on android question: I just had an embeded video from this thread continue to play on top when I switched away to another app. This is a very useful feature! I've never seen that happen before and I can't for the life of me work out how to make it do it again. I just want to play picross and watch quinton review Dr Who fanfiction simultaneously, what am I missing here?

I've got the adblocker browser and that does got an update a few months ago that makes it so any youtube video on there- after you tap it so sound will play- will just keep going even if you switch away to a new tab or away from the browser. Google Chrome sometimes does that but only like, Soundcloud stuff or a podcast website like F-plus is all I'm aware of so far.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
BoogieBoogieBoogie!

http://imgur.com/a/tl0gvZE

*phoneposting

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

pWNing the corporations by propping up the screaming gamer who only lost his sponsorship by a supermassive corporation because he was racist

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

KayTee posted:

BoogieBoogieBoogie!

http://imgur.com/a/tl0gvZE

*phoneposting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdOgvdbl314

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Did something happen with pewdiepie that sparked this?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

We must secure the ech-sistance of our people and a future for white children

Andrast posted:

He probably dropped some more slurs and then the SLIMY JEWS NEFARIOUS "YELLOW JOURNALISTS" SO FLAGRANTLY ATTACKED HIM FOR HIS BRAVE AND DARING FREEZEPEACH.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

From a quick Googlin':

YouTuber PewDiePie is battling Indian channel T-Series in a bid to retain his status as the YouTuber with the most subscribers.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Andrast posted:

From what I can tell there's a youtube channel for an indian record label called t-series that is close to overtaking pewdiepie's subscriber count, making it the number 1 subscribed channel on youtube. I think the reason for the explosion in subscribers for t-series is new accounts registered in india are auto-subscribed.

People are either into the popularity contest or panicking from a COMPANY being at the top of youtube so they're throwing their weight behind the internet's favorite n-bomber.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Dork457 posted:

I think the reason for the explosion in subscribers for t-series is new accounts registered in india are auto-subscribed.

That's actually pretty weasely bullshit, but :lol: at booger1488 treating it like "DA CULTURE WAR" because some (Maybe or maybe not, it's India) brown people are doing a thing.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

What EA wants from BFV is to get people into it's subscription service Origin Access on PC. If you try to buy BFV through Origin you going to have to pass two screens about joining Origin Access until you actually see what the game costs. It seems to have worked too, a lot of people are playing BFV via Origin Access instead of buying it.

Expect the same thing with Anthem in a couple of months.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
We can't let this multi million dollar conglomerate be the most subscribed channel, we need to let the multi million dollar money boy who grew up in affluence and has rich parents.

Leal fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 3, 2018

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I mean, poo poo, I'm tempted to subscribe to the other channel just to spite the Pewds. They apparently make professional Bollywood videos, so that's neat I guess?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Jim Sterling bashing shareholders again. Good, Wall Street should stay out of creative industries (also industries that provide basic necessities) and more people should be taking a stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F96FOn3R7w

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

Jim Sterling bashing shareholders again. Good, Wall Street should stay out of creative industries (also industries that provide basic necessities) and more people should be taking a stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F96FOn3R7w

On a super good topic too. Carl on Duty Blagops 4 for example made like 500m night one or some poo poo and it's gone on to keep selling loads, but it's """""underperforming""""" you see, because it didn't make all of the money ever forever. That's honestly what you have to look at for games now, it's way past the point of ever hoping a lovely game doesn't make money, it's impossible for them not to anymore, it's all about how it "performs" now which unfortunately is also the most nebulous suit talk ever to be farted out in a crusty old board room. Mulch all capitalists.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yardbomb posted:

Because they don't actually give a poo poo about history and just want to regurgitate the whitewashed lies around "american history" and it's exceptionalism therein alongside their usual bigotry.

The other day somebody posted a picture of a squad of the Russian 588th Bomber Regiment, aka the Night Witches, with their Nazi kill count. Somebody replied 'And yet the Holocaust still happened.'

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Max Wilco posted:

What I was seeing was that Battlefield 5 launched to no real fanfare since there wasn't any marketing or hype, and that's why there's been such a big price drop on it out of the gate, and that EA is now doing this:

https://twitter.com/LegacyKillaHD/status/1069195534362165248
https://twitter.com/mrfeelswildride/status/1069411883189321728

The game is pretty good and I love it so far, the issue is the lack of content map wise. The maps we have are good and the game encourages you to work in squads and over all in a team. You can sell the game on its merits. Outside a general message of “anyone can pick up and play this” which is a good and true line, why go down this road. You’re jus gonna stir the morons up and you probably won’t get many new sales with it because those kinds of statements ring hollow from giant corps like EA. That being said, gently caress the chuds because they are missing out on a pretty good game.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 3, 2018

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The customization options in BFV are insanely boring too. Where are all the fun nonsense that appeared in the trailers, DICE? It looked good, regardless of what some loser shouting "historically inaccurate!" on the internet felt.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Biomute posted:

Yeah, the argument that it is impossible to like Marla, even at subsequent viewings, strikes me as really off.

Admittedly I never got around to watching Fight Club, but from what I got from Fish's video is less that Marla is unsympathetic so much that by all accounts she should be sympathetic, but the narrative and framing goes out of its way to depict her as gross and unlikable because it's ultimately viewed through Tyler Durden's perspective.

KayTee posted:

BoogieBoogieBoogie!

I almost wanna believe this is 'shopped because not even Boogie can be this stupid but then I remembered, yeah, he absolutely can be.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
luv to hide my 'HOW CAN THOSE SAVAGE BROWNS DARE COMPETE WITH ME SCREAMING RAPE JOKES AT VIDEO GAMES' fragile ego behind anti-corporate struggle.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jimbot posted:

The customization options in BFV are insanely boring too. Where are all the fun nonsense that appeared in the trailers, DICE? It looked good, regardless of what some loser shouting "historically inaccurate!" on the internet felt.
Honestly, in contrast, I hated that poo poo, not because of historical poo poo but because it looked like fortnite and weirdly out of place. Plus it would ruins line of sight silhouettes.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Electronico6 posted:

What EA wants from BFV is to get people into it's subscription service Origin Access on PC. If you try to buy BFV through Origin you going to have to pass two screens about joining Origin Access until you actually see what the game costs. It seems to have worked too, a lot of people are playing BFV via Origin Access instead of buying it.

Expect the same thing with Anthem in a couple of months.

This is probably a really dumb question but, does that method make them more money in the long run because they hope people will subscribe and just stay subscribed?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ryuga Death posted:

This is probably a really dumb question but, does that method make them more money in the long run because they hope people will subscribe and just stay subscribed?

Maybe. It’s basically a Xbox live/gold inside Xbox live. I am sure they can nickel and dime you in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

RareAcumen posted:

I've got the adblocker browser and that does got an update a few months ago that makes it so any youtube video on there- after you tap it so sound will play- will just keep going even if you switch away to a new tab or away from the browser. Google Chrome sometimes does that but only like, Soundcloud stuff or a podcast website like F-plus is all I'm aware of so far.
I legit got it to behave like it does in the actual youtube app when you back out to your subs or whatever while the video is still going, with the video playing in a little box in the bottom corner of the screen. Only I went straight from Chrome to my puzzles app.

It's basically what I've always wanted it to do, but I can't find any evidence of this being a feature online at all. Weird.

Edit: apparently I experienced the 'picture in picture' mode, which is a thing but only in the US atm? I guess someone at Youtube HQ must have put their coffee down on the button that makes that feature global for a minute. Bah.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 3, 2018