Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also ice cap zones kick rear end track has to be replaced since its just the Jetzons song "Hard Times" and the replacement sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

wouldn't be surprised if some of the missing heavy hitters like Sonic 3 and SegaCD games are released as separate DLC intermittently or as rights are acquired. i'd pay for a Snatcher DLC.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Barudak posted:

Also ice cap zones kick rear end track has to be replaced since its just the Jetzons song "Hard Times" and the replacement sucks.

I didn't know that. I'm sure I remember the original being there on the Wii version but that's like ten years old now.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

It's probably the best game on the genesis and has been released on tons of platforms since the original. I think it'll be fine, license- and sales-wise.

The real telltale sign is that Sonic and Knuckles ain't on there. It's almost certainly a cash-grab type thing, because frankly Sonic 3 + K is still worth $15-20 on its own

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

codenameFANGIO posted:

This is the worst post I have ever seen.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 is the best game in the history of gaming.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

For it to be a cash grab they'd actually have to announce a port of it at some point.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

I didn't know that. I'm sure I remember the original being there on the Wii version but that's like ten years old now.
I'm pretty sure the Steam version is just the original ROM file as well.

They changed it for the Windows 95 version back in the day, when they changed some songs completely while doing the MIDI versions for PC hardware. I don't think they ever applied this to the Genesis version, though.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
What do you know, guess what's included in the PC version of the Sega collection?

Also worth mentioning that the menu is really nifty with you tooting around a 90's kids bedroom.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

track day bro! posted:

Euro Truck Simulator 2 is the best game in the history of gaming.

I just looked at it on Steam yesterday and people seem pretty obsessed about it for some reason.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Lodin posted:

What do you know, guess what's included in the PC version of the Sega collection?

Also worth mentioning that the menu is really nifty with you tooting around a 90's kids bedroom.

You can also load it up in VR and play the games on that little tv. It's dumb as hell and I love it

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lodin posted:

I've mentioned this before, but the various Sega retro collections are all done by different wings of the corporate empire that don't seem to read each other's memos. So the Switch collection will likely be completely different from this UI-wise.

It certainly won't have that awesome built-in support for fan-made ROM Hacks, at any rate. What a crazy thing to include in an official retro collection!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

I'm pretty sure the Steam version is just the original ROM file as well.

They changed it for the Windows 95 version back in the day, when they changed some songs completely while doing the MIDI versions for PC hardware. I don't think they ever applied this to the Genesis version, though.

My god :stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl4lfO0PY-U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLuQZ4Gnjkc

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it might be stupid but I really don't feel like buying that collection on Switch if it leaves out Sonic 3 + Knuckles. Why the gently caress would you leave out one of the best Genesis games? I guess it's just being saved for a separate Sega AGES release?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

:eng99:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lodin posted:

The version on Steam came out in 2010 and is the same one as in the PS3 & 360 which did include S3&K

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Super Mario U Deluxe is at a decent price on Amazon, so I went ahead and preordered it. I never played it on the Wii U, but if my wife and I enjoyed playing New Mario Bros on the Wii, will we also like this one?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

The version on Steam came out in 2010 and is the same one as in the PS3 & 360 which did include S3&K

This is the collection people are talking about, yeah? Cause that's the exact same intro from the PC version with a couple of different games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygLqvXf6mUo

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sega shan't get another dime from me as long as they continue to exclude greendog: the beached surfer dude from their classic game collections!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

BisterdDave posted:

Super Mario U Deluxe is at a decent price on Amazon, so I went ahead and preordered it. I never played it on the Wii U, but if my wife and I enjoyed playing New Mario Bros on the Wii, will we also like this one?

It's a very fun game. My wife and I played it from beginning to end in coop and it was a blast. A+ gaming decision.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Sega should re-release all the Genesis Does games. Joe Montana Football, James "Buster" Douglas Knockout Boxing, Michael Jackson's Moonwalker, Arnold Palmer's Tournament Golf, Pat Riley's Basketball, Tommy Lasorda Baseball, etc.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BisterdDave posted:

Yeah it's like the Super Mario World of the series. Some of the best level design of the entire 2d series. People knock points off because it's look is unoriginal.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

BisterdDave posted:

They added new characters to make it easier to play for kids, and a new hard mode campaign called Super Luigi U for people who want a challenge, other than that it's the same mechanics with new levels.

The one unique thing NSMBU did was add an option for a fifth player to mess around on the touchscreen and place extra coin blocks to help the other players are going through the level, but I'm pretty sure they're taking that out of the switch port. I can't think of how they'd make it work when you can't use the tv and touchscreen at the same time and I have never heard of anybody actually trying to be helpful with this feature instead of treating it like a real-time kaizo level maker

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RandomFerret posted:

They added new characters to make it easier to play for kids, and a new hard mode campaign called Super Luigi U for people who want a challenge, other than that it's the same mechanics with new levels.

The one unique thing NSMBU did was add an option for a fifth player to mess around on the touchscreen and place extra coin blocks to help the other players are going through the level, but I'm pretty sure they're taking that out of the switch port. I can't think of how they'd make it work when you can't use the tv and touchscreen at the same time and I have never heard of anybody actually trying to be helpful with this feature instead of treating it like a real-time kaizo level maker

It's excellent for low% attempts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88QQ7isvmqk

This was the finale of a very entertaining series of videos about the lowest possible score in New Super Luigi U

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

What's the verdict on Octopath, I'm kind of itching to play a jrpg. I know people were kind of down on it because the character stories don't really interact?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's a good game but if you're like me you'll get about halfway through it and say to yourself "That was fun I think I'll play something else now"

Which is fine, I put in 30-40 hours. I'm satisfied.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Lodin posted:

This is the collection people are talking about, yeah? Cause that's the exact same intro from the PC version with a couple of different games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygLqvXf6mUo

That's because the PC version released in 2010 and got a facelift with the modding update, while the Genesis classics were released after the Hard Times bassline was found. There has been no rerelease of Sonic 3 on any platform since.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

What's the verdict on Octopath, I'm kind of itching to play a jrpg. I know people were kind of down on it because the character stories don't really interact?

If you like oldschool jrpg combat you're off to a good start. As for the storytelling... I like the way it's structured? The minimal party interaction is a bit of a downer. The sidequests are generally pretty rewarding, and not just for loot. I'd give it a Good/Whatever. I never did finish the story for everybody, but I did have a good time with it.

edit: Getting really into the combat for a jrpg can carry you far. I beat Xenoblade 2's NG+ :shepface:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

NG+ is kind of breezy though, since your already have a lot of blade missions done, and remember exactly where to go and can skip long cutscenes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Good combat, especially the bosses. Kind of lame story. Goes on too long and the final dungeon really sucks. Definitely a B-tier RPG, there are better choices out there but it could scratch the itch if it's what you really want to play.

And I love super long RPGs as long as the story and characters hold up for the length. Octopath wears out its welcome at about hour 50 and keeps on going.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 3, 2018

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

NG+ is kind of breezy though, since your already have a lot of blade missions done, and remember exactly where to go and can skip long cutscenes.

Well yeah, but generally speaking if you're dedicated enough to do the NG+, you're probably also dedicated enough to like... grind endgame bosses for legendary cores to complete your blade collection.

Also I didn't skip the cutscenes. Glad I didn't either, there's a lot of neat little details you'll miss the first time around.

edit: It's almost impossible to properly tune XB2 NG+'s difficulty, even intentionally using unleveled blades and crappy gear while restricting your driver level you're still gonna steamroll everything

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 3, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Good combat, especially the bosses. Kind of lame story. Goes on too long and the final dungeon really sucks. Definitely a B-tier RPG, there are better choices out there but it could scratch the itch if it's what you really want to play.

And I love super long RPGs as long as the story and characters hold up for the length. Octopath wears out its welcome at about hour 50 and keeps on going.

That's pretty much my take on it too. I had a lot of fun with it but it's definitely a flawed product.

Apparently many of the devs involved were relatively new so I'm excited for a potential sequel.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 3, 2018

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

It's a good game but if you're like me you'll get about halfway through it and say to yourself "That was fun I think I'll play something else now"

Which is fine, I put in 30-40 hours. I'm satisfied.

I had the exact same experience although I'm pretty sure a lot of my play time was because I got addicted to the dancing gacha.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Thanks for the feedback. Is there anything in that kind of throwback RPG style on the switch worth playing over Octopath? Like indie stuff along the vein of Setsuna?

I also have the last 3 Mario and Luigi games on my 3ds that I've never played so I might get into that instead. But I like the pseudo 16 bit look a lot.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 3, 2018

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I am paying $30 to play Streets of Rage 2. All the other games are just a nice bonus

:same:

asecondduck posted:

Katamari drops on Smashmas Day (12/7)

I've tried playing Euro Truck Sim with a controller and it was a frustrating experience (though with four Joycon and a Labo steering wheel/pedal setup you could probably make it work).
Is this real?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Thanks for the feedback. Is there anything in that kind of throwback RPG style on the switch worth playing over Octopath? Like indie stuff along the vein of Setsuna?

I also have the last 3 Mario and Luigi games on my 3ds that I've never played so I might get into that instead. But I like the pseudo 16 bit look a lot.

Octopath is about a billion times better than Setsuna at least

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Romancing SaGa 2 is on the switch and is a better package overall. Even includes NG+.

Do not buy I am Setsuna unless you hate money and love dull RPGs. Same exact thing applies to Lost Sphear

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tender Bender posted:

Is there anything in that kind of throwback RPG style on the switch worth playing over Octopath?
In terms of stuff actually on the Switch, Octopath is pretty good especially if you like the 16-bit style. The battle system is especially great.

It's not without its flaws of course, but people wouldn't put 50 hours into a game they genuinely didn't like. You'll definitely get your mileage out of it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BisterdDave posted:

Yes. It’s easily the best of the NSMB games. The level design is really tight and designed for speed running.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Years ago, around the time Bioshock 2 was being previewed, I picked up a magazine showing an upcoming XBLA remake of Toki: Going Ape Spit, a game I liked on the NES as a kid and was looking forward to. It never came out, but apparently it or another Toki remake is about to drop on the Switch...

...for $30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yes. It’s easily the best of the NSMB games. The level design is really tight and designed for speed running.

Really? I didn't know it was designed for speedrunning. I always love dashing through levels as fast as I can, so this sounds right up my alley! Thanks for the feedback everyone.