Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

he was conserving political capital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/1069596094924025857?s=21

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

The first two responses I see in that thread are just pants-on-head stupid

"I don't want my candidates captured by big oil"
"he has exactly no governmental experience"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

Bad news for candidates who are also woolly mammoths struggling mightily to free themselves from tar pits

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

No Safe Word posted:

I get the feeling a number of people in El Paso would disagree, but idk

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

No Safe Word posted:

The first two responses I see in that thread are just pants-on-head stupid

I get the second one, but why exactly is it stupid to not want politicians captured by one of the industries that is doing its best to destroy civilization on this planet.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

If I recall, any donation by an employee of a company counts toward money from that company, so it looks like Beto has taken tons of oil money, but that's cause practically everyone in west texas is in the oil business.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

I get the second one, but why exactly is it stupid to not want politicians captured by one of the industries that is doing its best to destroy civilization on this planet.

It's not stupid to want that it's stupid to imply that Beto is "captured" by them. He famously shunted corporate/PAC donations during his Senate campaign and still managed to raise a metric fuckton of money from individual contributions.

I'm uncertain of how good he'd be as a candidate for 2020 but I wish these people would at least have good-faith arguments against it if you are against it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

No Safe Word posted:

It's not stupid to want that it's stupid to imply that Beto is "captured" by them. He famously shunted corporate/PAC donations during his Senate campaign and still managed to raise a metric fuckton of money from individual contributions.

I'm uncertain of how good he'd be as a candidate for 2020 but I wish these people would at least have good-faith arguments against it if you are against it.

https://www.opensecrets.org/industries/recips.php?ind=E01++

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

mastajake posted:

If I recall, any donation by an employee of a company counts toward money from that company, so it looks like Beto has taken tons of oil money, but that's cause practically everyone in west texas is in the oil business.

gently caress, technically any donation I make could count toward that, since while I don't work directly in Oil & Gas, it's adjacent enough to qualify as part of that industry.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

No Safe Word posted:

gently caress, technically any donation I make could count toward that, since while I don't work directly in Oil & Gas, it's adjacent enough to qualify as part of that industry.

quote:

METHODOLOGY: The numbers on this page are based on contributions from PACs and individuals giving $200 or more.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

by that metric Beto is owned far more by Big Democrat/Liberal and Big Retired

https://www.opensecrets.org/members-of-congress/industries?cid=N00033540&cycle=2018

quote:

Industry Total
Democratic/Liberal $8,707,914
Retired $3,414,748
Lawyers/Law Firms $3,062,176
Education $2,630,973
Health Professionals $1,332,536
Real Estate $1,103,903
Securities & Investment $1,000,004
Business Services $984,040
Electronics Mfg & Equip $941,377
TV/Movies/Music $816,723
Printing & Publishing $732,321
Civil Servants/Public Officials $644,127
Misc Business $630,015
Internet $584,140
Hospitals/Nursing Homes $506,070
Misc Finance $498,883
Oil & Gas $429,752
Non-Profit Institutions $416,139
Pro-Israel $390,982
Construction Services $324,741

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

by that metric Beto is owned far more by Big Democrat/Liberal and Big Retired

https://www.opensecrets.org/members-of-congress/industries?cid=N00033540&cycle=2018

Ah by that metric Republicans aren't owned by industry either great to know!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

And? The whole point is that unless you think it's a cabal of dozens/hundreds of Big Oil execs that are going to come shaking him down over their individual contributions maxing out at ~$2k when he raised literally tens of millions of dollars, it's a stupid point.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Ah by that metric Republicans aren't owned by industry either great to know!

Indeed we agree that its a poor metric of little value to the point you're trying to make.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Indeed we agree that its a poor metric of little value to the point you're trying to make.

Or maybe it's a fine metric, and dismissing industry contributions because generic party members gave more is stupid?

No Safe Word posted:

And? The whole point is that unless you think it's a cabal of dozens/hundreds of Big Oil execs that are going to come shaking him down over their individual contributions maxing out at ~$2k when he raised literally tens of millions of dollars, it's a stupid point.

The whole point is that "any contribution you make" wouldn't count under their methodology, you were wrong about that.

And thanks John Roberts for defining bribery as "CEOs personally shaking down politicians who accepted giant bags of money with cartoon dollar signs on them" but the reality is there's a reason why the oil industry gave more to Beto than to anyone else besides Ted Cruz and it's not because oil companies love wasting money on charity for politicians who just need a hand up without any expectation of consideration in return.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lets criticize Beto for something more meaningful. His Climate Change policy proposal while a breath of fresh air in Texas isn't sufficient for the nation.

quote:

It is crucial now more than ever that the U.S. and world leaders act urgently to address the issue of climate change. We must ensure the funding and independence of organizations like the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) so that they can provide necessary climate science research.

Other steps we can take to promote energy and environmental reforms include:

Enacting comprehensive energy reform that optimizes the uses of current energy sources while incentivizing the innovation of new and renewable sources of energy.
Rejoining the Paris Climate Accords.
Empowering the EPA to exercise oversight of those harming the environment, particularly drilling, fracking, and pipeline construction.
Supporting stronger land-use policies in Texas.

That's basically as conservative on Climate Change as one can be while still admitting its real, manmade, and a problem. Again, great for a member of the Texas delegation, but its still Beto sticking his head in the sand.

Hopefully if he runs for President he'll get more aggressive once he's outside the state. But if he doesn't then its hard to claim he's even trying to address the greatest crisis facing this nation and the globe.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

The whole point is that "any contribution you make" wouldn't count under their methodology, you were wrong about that.

And thanks John Roberts for defining bribery as "CEOs personally shaking down politicians who accepted giant bags of money with cartoon dollar signs on them" but the reality is there's a reason why the oil industry gave more to Beto than to anyone else besides Ted Cruz and it's not because oil companies love wasting money on charity for politicians who just need a hand up without any expectation of consideration in return.
Any contribution I made over $200 would have counted. Quit picking lovely nits.

"The oil industry" didn't give poo poo to Beto. Lots of individuals who work in that industry did. Scroll down the page and look at all the big fat $0 next to PAC in each industry. The individual max contribution is $2700. How exactly do you think he is in the pocket of the oil industry when the leverage of any individual contributor is at most approximately 1/25,000th of his total campaign contributions? Yes, if he exerts pressure on that industry it could depress the total they provide, but even in that context, the whole industry as a whole only accounts for less than one percent of his campaign contributions. Erase all of them and he still raises tens of millions of dollars.

Trabisnikof posted:

Lets criticize Beto for something more meaningful. His Climate Change policy proposal while a breath of fresh air in Texas isn't sufficient for the nation.

That's basically as conservative on Climate Change as one can be while still admitting its real, manmade, and a problem. Again, great for a member of the Texas delegation, but its still Beto sticking his head in the sand.

Hopefully if he runs for President he'll get more aggressive once he's outside the state. But if he doesn't then its hard to claim he's even trying to address the greatest crisis facing this nation and the globe.

This is fair, it doesn't go far enough but I'm not sure how much of this is "this is the extent to which I'm willing to enact policy" and how much of it is "I don't want to readily create talking points for my opponent". That said, none of this implies that Big Oil is pulling his strings.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Or maybe it's a fine metric, and dismissing industry contributions because generic party members gave more is stupid?

But why would Beto be more in the pocket of an industry that donated less than 1.5% of his total donations versus all the other interests that donated more? He got $3,414,748 from the retired why would he be in the pocket of Big Oil over $430,000?

Its a lovely metric for the point you're trying to make.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

No Safe Word posted:

Any contribution I made over $200 would have counted. Quit picking lovely nits.

"The oil industry" didn't give poo poo to Beto. Lots of individuals who work in that industry did.

Ahahaha

"Quit picking lovely nits. Anyway technically the physical equipment an an oil plant didn't donate to Beto, it was people who happen to work there"

Trabisnikof posted:

But why would Beto be more in the pocket of an industry that donated less than 1.5% of his total donations versus all the other interests that donated more? He got $3,414,748 from the retired why would he be in the pocket of Big Oil over $430,000?

Its a lovely metric for the point you're trying to make.

Ah yes, just like when Hillary took $300,000 to secretly promise Wall Street she'd govern in their interest regardless of her public pronouncements, this didn't really happen because the AARP gave her money too

If it's only 1.5% of his total donations he should have no trouble rejecting the money right?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 3, 2018

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Ahahaha

"Quit picking lovely nits. Anyway technically the physical equipment an an oil plant didn't donate to Beto, it was people who happen to work there"

I know your whole schtick is not arguing in good faith as I've seen in other threads, but I wish you hadn't brought it here. If you think the industry an individual works for is what defines their entire platform, great. It's wrong, but cool, you can keep crowing about how a tiny fraction of a person's campaign contributions came from individuals in an industry that is incredibly large in the area he represents to make whatever point you think you're making I guess.

It's much easier to point at a number and not consider context, so I get it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Ah yes, just like when Hillary took $300,000 to secretly promise Wall Street she'd govern in their interest regardless of her public pronouncements, this didn't really happen because the AARP gave her money too

Your own metric is proving you wrong on this on. Hillary got more money from "Securities & Investment" than any other group, including the retired. So yeah, her funding is closer to an example of a candidate bought and paid for than Beto's.

Either your metric proves you wrong or its a lovely metric.

VitalSigns posted:

If it's only 1.5% of his total donations he should have no trouble rejecting the money right?

Does any candidate running for office meet this new requirement you've dreamed up? Even Bernard took money from Oil & Gas.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

No Safe Word posted:

I know your whole schtick is not arguing in good faith as I've seen in other threads, but I wish you hadn't brought it here. If you think the industry an individual works for is what defines their entire platform, great. It's wrong, but cool, you can keep crowing about how a tiny fraction of a person's campaign contributions came from individuals in an industry that is incredibly large in the area he represents to make whatever point you think you're making I guess.

It's much easier to point at a number and not consider context, so I get it.
Hahaha. "It's not industry money, it's money from people in the industry" totally a good faith argument.

OK even if I grant that absurd sophistry, he should have no trouble turning down the money right, since it doesn't matter.

Trabisnikof posted:

Your own metric is proving you wrong on this on. Hillary got more money from "Securities & Investment" than any other group, including the retired. So yeah, her funding is closer to an example of a candidate bought and paid for than Beto's.

So your argument is that only the industry that gave the most has any influence at all?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Even Bernard took money from Oil & Gas.

Radical opinion, maybe politics should be based on principles, not cults of personality?

Yes Bernard Sanders should reject money from the industry that is literally putting human civilization on a doomsday path, duh.

Can't help but notice the fundamental contradiction in your argument: the money doesn't matter at all yet it's simultaneously unreasonable and impossible to expect a politician not to take it anyway.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 3, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Trabisnikof posted:

Does any candidate running for office meet this new requirement you've dreamed up? Even Bernard took money from Oil & Gas.

the DNC voted to stop taking fossil fuel money and then voted to take it after all lol

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Hahaha. "It's not industry money, it's money from people in the industry" totally a good faith argument.

OK even if I grant that absurd sophistry, he should have no trouble turning down the money right, since it doesn't matter.
Sure, he could, but the only reason he'd do so is to fight a perception of undue influence which is not a popular perception. So why alienate actual legitimate contributors? Doing so might drum up more contributions from others, I suppose, but that's up to his campaign strategy team to figure out.

But, again, none of what you've provided is evidence of "he's in the pocket of the oil industry".

corn in the bible posted:

the DNC voted to stop taking fossil fuel money and then voted to take it after all lol

Yeah, this was really stupid.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

No Safe Word posted:

Sure, he could, but the only reason he'd do so is to fight a perception of undue influence which is not a popular perception. So why alienate actual legitimate contributors? Doing so might drum up more contributions from others, I suppose, but that's up to his campaign strategy team to figure out.

But, again, none of what you've provided is evidence of "he's in the pocket of the oil industry".

He's not in the pocket of the oil industry, he just literally can't afford to alienate them :thunk:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Can't help but notice the fundamental contradiction in your argument: the money doesn't matter at all yet it's simultaneously unreasonable and impossible to expect a politician not to take it anyway.

I'm saying your metric of declaring any politician who takes any money from O&G as in their pocket as dumb. Instead you should look at their policies and history of actions and statements as a far better barometer.

Argue Beto is in the pocket of O&G because of his votes, or his statements, or his associates. Don't argue he's in the pocket of O&G because the industry the 17th largest of industries contributing to him.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm saying your metric of declaring any politician who takes any money from O&G as in their pocket as dumb. Instead you should look at their policies and history of actions and statements as a far better barometer.

Argue Beto is in the pocket of O&G because of his votes, or his statements, or his associates. Don't argue he's in the pocket of O&G because the industry the 17th largest of industries contributing to him.

OK great, let's look at his actions and statements. You know what would be good, actions and statements rejecting O&G industry money which he apparently doesn't need anyway!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

He's not in the pocket of the oil industry, he just literally can't afford to alienate them :thunk:

Oh no my $71 million dollars in donations would become *checks notes* closer to $70 million dollars if I stopped taking donations from that industry whole-cloth, even though it wouldn't actually be all that meaningful to do so.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

No Safe Word posted:

Oh no my $71 million dollars in donations would become *checks notes* closer to $70 million dollars if I stopped taking donations from that industry whole-cloth, even though it wouldn't actually be all that meaningful to do so.

Right so the doublethink that the money doesn't matter at all, yet he can't do without it anyway.

We're not talking about individual small-dollar donations from janitors at the refinery here. We're talking about contributions greater than $200 apiece, by definition from people who can afford to throw around a significant fraction of the monthly rent budget of the working class towards each individual politician they support.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Right so the doublethink that the money doesn't matter at all, yet he can't do without it anyway.

Nobody is saying he can't do without money, it's just that even if you consider contributions from individuals within the oil and gas industry, he could very easily afford to do without it as it is less than one percent of his entire campaign contributions, and even then he didn't spend all of it.

quote:

We're not talking about individual small-dollar donations from janitors at the refinery here. We're talking about contributions greater than $200 apiece, by definition from people who can afford to throw around a significant fraction of the monthly rent budget of the working class towards each individual politician they support.
It's up to $200 in a single year which isn't peanuts by any stretch, but it's not life-changing money either.

But what evidence are you offering to support the idea that he is "captured by big oil"? Or are you just arguing for argument's sake at this point?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

No Safe Word posted:

Nobody is saying he can't do without money, it's just that even if you consider contributions from individuals within the oil and gas industry, he could very easily afford to do without it as it is less than one percent of his entire campaign contributions, and even then he didn't spend all of it.
If he can easily do without it, then you should have no problem with people asking him to do without it.

No Safe Word posted:

It's up to $200 in a single year which isn't peanuts by any stretch, but it's not life-changing money either.
People throwing $200 to one guy are probably giving to other campaigns and $200 is the lowest amount it can be more, and I don't think the corner case of a minimum-wage worker scrimping all year to donate exactly two hundred bones and not a penny more to one and only one politician for some reason (I guess to make him look like an industry tool so they can win an argument on the forums later?) is very important nor do I think asking that scrimping working-class person to give $199 instead is a big deal compared to the good it would do to ask the same of the C-suite.

No Safe Word posted:

But what evidence are you offering to support the idea that he is "captured by big oil"? Or are you just arguing for argument's sake at this point?

Well there is the fact that his climate change plan is totally inadequate to actually address the devastating catastrophe coming our way.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Well there is the fact that his climate change plan is totally inadequate to actually address the devastating catastrophe coming our way.
It's inadequate in detail and scope, but that doesn't imply some industry shenanigans are behind it. And you're not connecting the dots from the campaign contribution side since you're basically saying "he should just get rid of it if he doesn't need it!!" and then magically conjuring up some controlling influence it has over shaping his policy.

So, no evidence then.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

No Safe Word posted:

It's inadequate in detail and scope, but that doesn't imply some industry shenanigans are behind it. And you're not connecting the dots from the campaign contribution side since you're basically saying "he should just get rid of it if he doesn't need it!!" and then magically conjuring up some controlling influence it has over shaping his policy.

So, no evidence then.

What evidence would you accept.

I think being willing to sacrifice the future of human civilization, which just so happens to align with profit motives of the industry destroying human civilization and whose money neither political party is apparently willing to do without is more than a coincidence, but I guess I don't have video evidence of the Monopoly Man handing over cartoon money bags in exchange for a notarized contract from Beto O'Rourke saying the money and only the money is making him do it, so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, Justice Roberts!

And again the doublethink, he doesn't need the money but it's somehow critically important that he take it anyway. But its critical importance exercises zero influence somehow.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's interesting to compare standards for politicians with say standards for financial ethics in literally any other sphere of human behavior.

If I took 1.5% of my salary in gifts from say a supplier in my industry, I'd be out on my rear end for merely the appearance of impropriety and and if I said "well but how do you know for sure that the money their CEO gave me affected my judgment in purchasing maybe I would have acted the same how can we really know, makes u think huh, and anyway I don't even need the money but don't ask me not to take it bc I want it real bad (don't think about it too hard ok)" I would be laughed out of the room. But a politician makes the same argument and suddenly we all have to nod our heads and say "hm yeah makes sense being paid and then doing a thing for the payer might not mean being paid to do a thing, welp no reason not to take the money".

Like let's say we genuinely believe O&G money has zero effect on politicians. Shouldn't we be concerned about the appearance of impropriety, even just from a purely political standpoint that appearance of corruption can hurt support? Why shouldn't we hold politicians to at least even the lowest standards of appearance of impropriety that even the shittiest industries impose on their employees (for good reason)?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 3, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The dirtbag left is accusing Beto of taking money from the O&G industry in exchange for dooming our children to climate catastrophe, but that's totally a lie the oil companies are getting conned because Beto would doom earth for free! Suckers!

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 3, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I guess at this point I'm just curious what industries politicians are allowed to take contributions from, if having money donated to you by an employee of a particular industry is enough to make someone tainted regardless of who made the actual donation or why they made it.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
beto needs BIG OIL to pay for his HAMBURGER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

I guess at this point I'm just curious what industries politicians are allowed to take contributions from, if having money donated to you by an employee of a particular industry is enough to make someone tainted regardless of who made the actual donation or why they made it.

What do you think about rules about the appearance of impropriety in the private sector.

Should I be allowed to take kickbacks as long as there's some ambiguity about how high up the person giving me the money is and what their individual motive was? Maybe the rep only gave me that stack of money because he liked my shoes and wanted me to be able to by more snappy shoes right?

Again we're not talking about small-dollar contributions from average joes who happen to mop the floors at a refinery. We're talking about people with the dough to contribute a signficant fraction of (and up to a multiple of) a working-class person's monthly rent to each individual politician, I think it's reasonable to expect politicians to demonstrate that this is above board and not the other way around. Especially because the argument is "oh well the money doesn't matter and he doesn't need it anyway" so there's absolutely zero downside to not taking it!

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 3, 2018