Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So does this mean the newest firmware is hackable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Empress Brosephine posted:

So does this mean the newest firmware is hackable?

Yes, though currently only Atmosphère supports 6.2.0. If you're using SX OS or one of the others, you'll have to wait for them to steal atmo's code again. Shouldn't take too long, since the code is open source.

In the mean time, there's plug-in patches for Atmosphère to make it do basically anything the other CFWs do (which mostly means piracy)

As mentioned, you won't need the nogc patches for atmo anymore, since that funcionality is now included by default.

edit: for reference (mostly my own) i'm pasting this here, which details how Atmosphère 0.8+ deals witht he new TSEC key generation security:

quote:

They did now own TSEC at all. What the sploit does is fool TSEC into thinking it's running with sole full control of the system (it thinks the CPUs / DMA are halted). Only then will it continue to generate the keys and decrypt the package1. To fool the TSEC, it needs to read the same constant values from MMIO memory space. This can be done by remapping the address space into DRAM by using SMMU translation. If a single bit from this space is different (like say the BPMP CPU is still running, the IO space would reflect that) then the TSEC would detect it. But by mimicing the same values in DRAM, the TSEC is fooled and continues decrypting package1.

To actually pwn TSEC you need to get code execution in the authenticated mode of the TSEC, which can then be used to reveal TSEC secrets. To date, nobody (and I'm pretty sure not even reswitched or switchbrew) has managed to do this.

Seems like a comparatively easy fix for Nintendo in the next update.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 2, 2018

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Wrist Watch posted:

I know we’re not even remotely there yet but the allure of a console like the switch able to run tons of emulators while keeping the docked/undocked functionality is super tempting

Nope, we're actually there right now. It's moderately crashy, but I've been playing SOTN and Policenauts and a bunch of other poo poo both in portable and on my TV.

It's been a while since I set this up, but I'm pretty sure these steps are accurate and up to date.

First get a way to get into RCM. Some people use a paperclip or length of wire somehow, but I tried this a few dozen times and literally never once had success. In the early days I disassembled one of my joycons and used a jumper wire on the joycon rail. Later I bought one of the RCM jigs off ebay. If that one's out of stock, find another and check recent reviews for the seller. Works every time, it's great.

Next format your SD card with FAT32, no partitions (or let your Switch do it). Grab the latest Atmosphere, hbloader, and hbmenu releases. Atmosphere and hbmenu are extracted onto the root of your drive. hbloader goes into the Atmosphere folder. See below for a filesystem listing. You'll also need fusee-primary.bin from the Atmosphere page for later.

Also grab whatever homebrew you want. If you want to do emulation, you will want RetroArch. Drop that into the root of the drive. You can set up your ROMs directory wherever you want, I stuck it into the retroarch folder. You'll navigate to the folder from within RetroArch, so it can go anywhere.

If you want to pirate current commercial releases, kindly go gently caress yourself and get a job.

When you're done, the filesystem should look like this (trimmed a lot, just to give you an overview):

code:
./atmosphere/loader.ini
./atmosphere/titles
./atmosphere/hbl.nsp
./BCT.ini
./fusee-secondary.bin
./hbmenu.nro
./retroarch/
./retroarch/roms/
Finally grab a fusee launcher. How this works will depend on your operating system. I use Linux and the fusee-launcher.py from the original fusee-launcher repo works for me when run as root. It claims to support Windows, but I don't know the details there. Here's the command I use:

code:
# ./fusee-launcher.py ../fusee-primary.bin
Connect your Switch to your PC via USB. Start the Switch in RCM mode (turn it off; use the jig or whatever; press and hold Volume Up; press Power). If you did it right, nothing will appear on screen when you press Power. Run fusee-launcher. It should immediately report success. Your Switch should start dumping some text and eventually show the Atmosphere logo. Once the Switch finishes booting, run the Album app in order to launch the homebrew menu. From there you can select whatever homebrew you installed, like RetroArch. At that point you should be off to the races.

If it crashes the OS, or your Switch turns off for any reason (loss of power, etc), you'll have to re-connect to the PC via USB and reboot the switch in RCM mode again. It's bothersome. Otherwise just keep it in sleep mode and you should be in good shape.

I find RetroArch kind of confusing to use. It's one of those applications that has a billion options, 98% of which are useless. You'll get the hang of it. For PS1 emulation, I found I needed to turn On Threaded Video and change the Audio Driver to switch_thread. At that point SOTN worked great.

Also apparently there's a bug in latest Atmosphere where sometimes it says "Key Derivation Failed" when booting. I got it when upgrading just now. Just try again if you get that, it worked for me on the second try. It's early days yet, so it's worth staying up to date on software releases, though I'd suggest waiting on brand new releases for a couple of days for others to shake out bugs.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

ColdPie posted:

If you want to pirate current commercial releases, kindly go gently caress yourself and get a job.

Hope you aren't using any roms with retroarch that are available to purchase, including on the Wii U/3ds eshop

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Could you please not start a dumb piracy argument?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Nonviolent J posted:

Hope you aren't using any roms with retroarch that are available to purchase, including on the Wii U/3ds eshop

It's cool, I'm going to delete them before the 48 hour evaluation period is up.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
pirate everything, stealing owns

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

pirate everything, it's not stealing and never will be

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

is there coldboot for 1.0 firmware yet?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RandomFerret posted:

pirate everything, it's not stealing and never will be

It's kinda like when fat cat execs get super big bonuses at the end of the year. They didn't steal that from workers, because they weren't gonna get it anyway!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Takoluka posted:

It's kinda like when fat cat execs get super big bonuses at the end of the year. They didn't steal that from workers, because they weren't gonna get it anyway!

Yes. This is a comparable argument. Please shut the gently caress up.

Let's all stop talking about morality you loving knobs.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Hey guys, if you like playing games it's nice to support the people who make the games you like, however you want to support them, if you have the means to do so. If nothing else, it's a good way to encourage them to continue to make games you like.

Personally I've purchased way more games than I'll probably ever have the time to play. If it means I've played some games "illegitimately" I've definitely bought enough stuff to make up for it.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
its bad rear end to do crime

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

its bad rear end to do crime

https://twitter.com/UnknownKongYT/status/1067100848709402626?s=19

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Lord Frisk posted:

Yes. This is a comparable argument. Please shut the gently caress up.

Let's all stop talking about morality you loving knobs.

It was a bad joke, calm down buddy

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Lol the very idea of buying a console you can't do crimes with

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm an illegalist . It's good praxis to do crime

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I don't care if you pirate games, hacking online is lovely though.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hacking online to win competitive games is dumb and bad, hacking online to fly around the map while you sing bon jovi into the mic and nobody can mute you is cool and good

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
If I have the Xenoblade 2 game cart but install the torna dlc nsp, will it work? or do I need to do some extra steps to get it to boot?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RandomFerret posted:

Hacking online to win competitive games is dumb and bad, hacking online to fly around the map while you sing bon jovi into the mic and nobody can mute you is cool and good

What's great about gamers is when you give them the tools, they'll only do the second thing and definitely not the first, as they are well-known for restraint.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

RandomFerret posted:

I mean with the second one you're still causing a disturbance because there's one less player playing the game, especially if it's a team game like splatoon.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I for one would like to play games without listening to loving Bon Jovi

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Since i'm not well versed in the actual homebrew part of the switch yet, i figure i'd ask here.

Is there any way to make proper backups? And i mean actual backups of stuff on my switch, properly signed, so i could install and run them on an unhacked switch. No fake tickets or whatever that needs signature patches.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Nope!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MohShuvuu posted:

If I have the Xenoblade 2 game cart but install the torna dlc nsp, will it work? or do I need to do some extra steps to get it to boot?

Isn't Torna stand alone?

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Is there a reason I should install custom firmware on my New 3DS if I just want to install snes9x? It looks like I can do that with just home brew.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Before he does that, he's going to explain to you why what you did was wrong, while moving his hands around, fingertips grouped together, like he's throwing little bits of sand.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mumbling posted:

Is there a reason I should install custom firmware on my New 3DS if I just want to install snes9x? It looks like I can do that with just home brew.

If I recall correctly, you need it installed as a CIA if you want it to run at full speed and just running it out of the homebrew launcher will not utilize the full cpu of the n3ds.

Also there's so many goddamn forks of snes9x for 3ds. Use this one: https://github.com/bubble2k16/snes9x_3ds/releases/tag/v1.30

Turn on pixel perfect mode and have your balls blown off at how fantastic it looks. All the benefits of a crt with none of the negatives like scanlines and poo poo

Keito posted:

I for one would like to play games without listening to loving Bon Jovi

I hate Jon Bon Jovi but I hate his music more
I hate killing people cuz I hate to keep score

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Pirate everything because the gaming industry is one of the most hilariously awful and exploitative meat-grinders in all of capitalism and literally no console manufacturer or major publisher deserves your money, or even to exist

(pirating indie games is sort of a dick move, especially if they're the "one dude made this" variety, but a surprising number of those folks are chill about it so meh)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Pirate everything because the gaming industry is one of the most hilariously awful and exploitative meat-grinders in all of capitalism and literally no console manufacturer or major publisher deserves your money, or even to exist

(pirating indie games is sort of a dick move, especially if they're the "one dude made this" variety, but a surprising number of those folks are chill about it so meh)

Don't play games at all, because they profit from your time.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

LORD OF BOOTY

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette
So I recently hacked my switch and I upgraded its firmare without burning fuses. I took all those precautions and now just realized I only made a NAND backup after I had modded it, am I basically screwed in terms of ever being able to restore it properly?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

What's the procedure to swap sd cards on a B9S system again?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Stink Terios posted:

What's the procedure to swap sd cards on a B9S system again?

boot.firm needs to be in the root of the sd card. The luma folder has any other tools you'd launch via button commands at boot via the payload chainloader (so tools like godemode9 for nand backups)

Everything else is the same as you'd normally do it on a 3ds except if you have other homebrew (emulators, themes(?) JKSV save games, etc) that made their own folders and the like. Any installed CIAs are in the normal Nintendo 3DS folder that also stores games you buy from the eshop/etc.

edit: tl;dr just copy everything over there's nothing special really beyond making sure boot.firm is on the root of the sd card so luma3ds runs

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 5, 2018

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

ColdPie posted:

It's been a while since I set this up, but I'm pretty sure these steps are accurate and up to date.

A few days late, but this is the first chance I've had to sit down and take a serious crack at this thing. My sd card is set up fine but I can't seem to actually get the dumb thing into rcm. I'm taking your advice and ordering a jig off amazon (a little more expensive than ebay but free 2 day shipping), but I'll keep trying in the meantime. Thanks for taking the time to write this up for me, I really appreciate it!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I kind of regret hacking my switch. If I restore my NAND backup (from before I did anything), are the odds still good that I'll be banned?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Suburban Dad posted:

I kind of regret hacking my switch. If I restore my NAND backup (from before I did anything), are the odds still good that I'll be banned?
There's super secret hidden log files embedded into the GPU ram that tracked your every move and once you connect online they get uploaded to Nintendo and they chop your dick off.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Suburban Dad posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SwitchPirates/comments/9z8mb5/likelihood_of_a_ban_if_i_reset_console_to_go_legit/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

This is what worries me. I think I'm at 6.1 and did my backup just like that OP with SX OS, so it is a "dirty" NAND.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/restored-nand-backup-ofw-6-1-0-and-update-6-2-0-got-banned.523834/

Guess I won't know until I roll the dice.