Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Thanks for posting, I'm always interested in hearing people's dissections of fairs. Looks like you had a decent amount of space, did it get busy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Maybe? I was in a corner of the building and while the room would get full in waves, I heard that the more central spots were busier. But I don’t know if that would have mattered; even discounting my friend sales, the second day was busier even though it was half as long.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Glad to see you got some sales out of it.

As for us and the mini-con... we didn't sell a thing. Pretty sure we know why though. The audience demographic went in a direction neither us or the organizers expected: mostly families with younger children (like 13 and under). There was barely any traffic from teenagers to mid 20's which is what we'd figure we'd sell to. Ah well. It was a small event and we had fun just hanging out. Plus the organizers were super nice and we talked quite a bit about lessons learned and how to apply them next year. We would most likely work with them again.

It looks like having a presence at an upcoming con is in serious doubt though. Turns out we're not the only ones who have heard nothing about applications and they've not announced any vendors or guests at all yet a little over thirty days out. Plus it sounds like there was some serious staff fuckery at another one of their events just this past weekend. So we may not even show up period.

Proof that we should push on looking for opportunities outside of cons next year.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

ohgod I want this comic to be done, I dream of being free to just draw what I want for a bit. Before I start another comic. :suicide:

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
What is the function of art?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 minutes!

FunkyAl posted:

serious answer: we're all narcissists who want people to see the world we do

funny answer: lol TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Generally, the communication of ideas and emotions.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Need to make Thing. Optionally also: be appreciated by other humans for being good at Making Thing.

..in other words, personal fulfillment.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Also I think there's things that need to exist that we artists bear the burden of bringing into existence.
We have the power of creators, to pull and pin an idea from a void and solidify it.

Then we use it to make a picture of pregnant Shrek.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
It’s a great shame that DeviantArt won’t be around to be dug up by future archaeologists to create a mythos of our culture

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

FunkyAl posted:

communication from the lord via a series of faulty and inadequate vessels

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FunkyAl posted:

it's a machine for creating art-feeling

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
mostly to fill the void of meaningless existence

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

To give furries something to jo to.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I wanna get into more traditional art. Really, I just wanna have a sketchbook that's of higher quality than my fuckin college notebook doodles. I'd like to make marker drawings that look somewhat presentable just for fun, but also because I feel learning to draw better traditionally will help with my art in general.

I'm a total idiot when it comes to art supplies though. Do you guys have any recommendations for sketch kits I could buy that would have the supplies I need to do decent marker drawings in a sketchbook? I really have no idea what that would entail.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

You can get sets of markers for pretty cheap, I use 'Uni pin fine line' and they work just fine, the set cost me £5. As long as you get a variety of thicknesses, you're set (When I'm working A4, I mostly use 0.5, 0.3, and 0.1mm pens, with 0.8 and 0.05 for emphasis-touches). I'd also recommend a couple of Gelliroll white pens (I use a medium and fine) for corrections and working white-on-black. And you'll want something to fill in big areas of black - I use a Pentel brush pen or just a sharpie for that, depending on if I care about bleed and how big the area is. The brush pen is good for when you want a bit more fluidity to your lines, too.

Sketchbook-wise, you don't need anything too fancy because you're not getting the page too wet. Anything sold as a sketchbook in an art store should be able to handle markers. What you get is mostly going to depend on if you prefer smooth or textured paper, and what size/format you prefer. Hard-bound is more durable, spiral-bound folds over for convenience.

Don't buy premade kits, they're all a massive rip-off and have lovely materials for the money.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

By markers do you mean water-based or fancy stuff like prismacolor?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

incredible flesh posted:

communication from the lord via a series of faulty and inadequate vessels

I think we have bingo! I think we're pleanty adequate tho, thru our faults.

Al! posted:

serious answer: we're all narcissists who want people to see the world we do

funny answer: lol TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

This one, idk! dwe're making images of ourselves, (our......shadow selves?) but it is purposeful, it's meant to impart some part of life and provide clarity. Direction. Maybe for the artist, maybe on behalf of the artist, but has a life outside of you. You might see your art as narcissistic, but what about all the art you get stomething out of?

Someone once wrote a book or books about grover, and his adventures, and I can read now because of that. Whoever wrote and painted that, they didn't need to write that for themselves, they could already read.

Internet Kraken posted:

So I wanna get into more traditional art. Really, I just wanna have a sketchbook that's of higher quality than my fuckin college notebook doodles. I'd like to make marker drawings that look somewhat presentable just for fun, but also because I feel learning to draw better traditionally will help with my art in general.

I'm a total idiot when it comes to art supplies though. Do you guys have any recommendations for sketch kits I could buy that would have the supplies I need to do decent marker drawings in a sketchbook? I really have no idea what that would entail.

Windsor and Newton was demo-ing watercolor markers at a thing I was at and they were cool as hell. buy some of those!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
As for me i think art has 4 quillion functions, most of which are communicating ideas so complex and specific they can only be withheld in one form at one time and understood mostly subconciously.

Does a bird know, why he sings his song, or shits

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

FunkyAl posted:

I think we have bingo! I think we're pleanty adequate tho, thru our faults.
i'm just a pile of shards and dust lying on the floor

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

lofi posted:

You can get sets of markers for pretty cheap, I use 'Uni pin fine line' and they work just fine, the set cost me £5. As long as you get a variety of thicknesses, you're set (When I'm working A4, I mostly use 0.5, 0.3, and 0.1mm pens, with 0.8 and 0.05 for emphasis-touches). I'd also recommend a couple of Gelliroll white pens (I use a medium and fine) for corrections and working white-on-black. And you'll want something to fill in big areas of black - I use a Pentel brush pen or just a sharpie for that, depending on if I care about bleed and how big the area is. The brush pen is good for when you want a bit more fluidity to your lines, too.

Sketchbook-wise, you don't need anything too fancy because you're not getting the page too wet. Anything sold as a sketchbook in an art store should be able to handle markers. What you get is mostly going to depend on if you prefer smooth or textured paper, and what size/format you prefer. Hard-bound is more durable, spiral-bound folds over for convenience.

Don't buy premade kits, they're all a massive rip-off and have lovely materials for the money.

Thanks. Now to figure out what all this means :downs:

dupersaurus posted:

By markers do you mean water-based or fancy stuff like prismacolor?

I don't need or want anything fancy. Just some markers that are a level that a real artist might use when doing inkwork and not, say, the crap I used for my school projects when I was 10.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FunkyAl posted:

to bring ideas into reality. that and something dumb about communication i think im sure its unimportant

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 2, 2018

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't need or want anything fancy. Just some markers that are a level that a real artist might use when doing inkwork and not, say, the crap I used for my school projects when I was 10.

There are two ways you can go with markers and they have different endpoints so you want to know what you want out of it.

First step is probably get some faber castell or sharpies and find some paper that’s smooth and tough (printer paper is a viable option, though they do make paper meant for markers), then play around with it and see how you feel.

Felt markers will do you fine if you only want to put the colors they give you down, but if you want to do blending and gradients you’ll have to go alcohol-based like prismacolor or copic (I think the faber castell markers are supposed to be blendable but my experience hasn’t been great)

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Prismacolor or Copic are the big-name go-to markers for artists. There are definitely some other brands out there that are also good quality but I can't speak to them personally.

The big thing with these markers is that they're fairly pricey compared to, say, a pencil or pen or other individual writing utensil. If you have a bit of scratch, you can buy them in pre-selected sets and save a few bucks compared to purchasing each color individually - I've seen both brands carry sets of ten in certain themes, like cool greys, warm greys, etc. If you don't have enough money to buy a whole set, buy a couple shades of gray and 2 other colors you think are interesting (I survived a long time with just a green, a blue, a red, and warm gray 2 and 4).

As far as "sketch kits" go, most are a waste of money. They usually include pencils from 2H to 6B, which is nice to experiment with the different lead hardnesses but chances are once you find your favorite you won't switch between them much anyway. Get a 2H pencil, a #2 pencil (also called F in some brands), a pink pearl eraser, a kneaded eraser, and some fineliner or brush pens and you'll be good to go.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Tollymain posted:

to bring ideas into reality. that and something dumb about communication i think im sure its unimportant

this part is very cool also. fake stuff impels the real, life imitates art or vice reversa. like how an architect is motivated, to alter space. tollymain i recommend for you going to grad school for architecture cause if you got an idea and can bring it into the form of a buikding, lord knows ee got enough of this google sketchup poo poo

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nah id die

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
When i turn 50 im going to shift my focus to realist docu-cinema and go into exciting and dangerous places so that my death wil be wild. i dont really get a say in the matter, but may my body be buried in an orchard in baghdad, no less than 48 years from now

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

FunkyAl posted:

When i turn 50 im going to shift my focus to realist docu-cinema and go into exciting and dangerous places so that my death wil be wild. i dont really get a say in the matter, but may my body be buried in an orchard in baghdad, no less than 48 years from now
if the news of your death reaches something awful and i'm in the area i'll plant a pomegranate on your grave

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my retirement plan is self-immolation as performance art

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

incredible flesh posted:

if the news of your death reaches something awful and i'm in the area i'll plant a pomegranate on your grave

I think my ghost will be very touched and haunt the pomegranate tree that grows out of the mud my body will become.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
RIP

...and tear?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Tumblr posted:

real-life human genitals or female-presenting nipples

gently caress your policing my nipples tumblr :colbert:

Tumblr posted:

nudity found in art, such as sculptures and illustrations, are also stuff that can be freely posted on Tumblr.
nvm then

e:

:saddowns:

lofi fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 3, 2018

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Tumblr displacing their entire userbase just means the Creative Convention subforum gets to scoop them all up am I right fellas.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

can't use 'fellas' anymore then.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheHan posted:

Tumblr displacing their entire userbase just means the Creative Convention subforum gets to scoop them all up am I right fellas.

:unsmith:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Tumblr is kind of garbage for art anyway, what with its auto-resizing to 1280px, storing all of its images separate to the user's blog so you can't work out where an image came from with just the image URL, and not having a native option to just view an artist's own posts minus reblogs unless it is built into the theme.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there is a substantial windfall open for the first person to put together a functional adult-friendly combination microblogging site/financial transaction handler or whatever you call that fucker afrikaner's site that keeps trying to get me to open credit cards

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Tollymain posted:

there is a substantial windfall open for the first person to put together a functional adult-friendly combination microblogging site/financial transaction handler or whatever you call that fucker afrikaner's site that keeps trying to get me to open credit cards

I realized the other day this guy basically comitted the crime from superman 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Tumblr is kind of garbage for art anyway, what with its auto-resizing to 1280px, storing all of its images separate to the user's blog so you can't work out where an image came from with just the image URL, and not having a native option to just view an artist's own posts minus reblogs unless it is built into the theme.
Yeah to be honest I use it for multimedia shitposting of things that traditional art sites probably wouldn't allow, across of shotgun spread of increasingly absurdly specific blogs.

Speaking of which, somehow none of the recursive dickpics got flagged.