Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Out of curiosity what are your buy/sell prices like? By default it assigns quite high prices until you fill the storage up with product, and whittles them down as you stock more goods.

Which is a bit annoying initially because you probably want to just make money right away so setting it lower, ideally below average, will encourage sales much more.

I found some advice on reddit which is to restrict trading with other factions and manually set prices, and put the product price to lowest so that autotraders prefer your product in their calculations. I tried that, but it didn't really seem to work, and I also tried just setting the trader as a subordinate, which didn't work either. My prices were about the lowest they could get on automatic because my end-product storage was completely full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

pixaal posted:

You can open the map, select "plots" it will show you every plot even ones that are in the fog. Every NPC object (gates, stations) has a legal plot.

That's CHEATING :mad:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

NeurosisHead posted:

I got what I understand is the start of the PHQ quest scanning a thingy on a station. I started getting shot up by raiders as the dialogue started, so I hammered on ESC to defend myself. The little Boron guy said something like "I thought I'd get a more enthusiastic response, geez!" before he hung up on me and now I don't have a mission anywhere for a PHQ. Will it show back up if I scan more station thingies?

Yes, I believe so.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

NeurosisHead posted:

so I hammered on ESC to defend myself. The little Boron guy said something like "I thought I'd get a more enthusiastic response, geez!" before he hung up on me and now I don't have a mission anywhere for a PHQ. Will it show back up if I scan more station thingies?

Try it, I've started the game a few times, and it's always on every station I scan until I accept it.

The raiders aren't part of it, sounds like something went buggy. Load an older save. I did have raiders the first time I did the mission and saw all the red and figured it was for a bit later hosed off for a few hours then did the full mission, and got a game over had a newest save of 3 hours, and said gently caress it and started with the newly unlocked start (which had more than I had in my save that was mostly me just mapping controls and getting a feel).

Anything you have at this point is very VERY easy to replace starting over is not a big deal right now, and will probably be needed at some point since Egosoft has a history of save files from early versions of the game not triggering stuff. You have gained a comfort with the UI, and the frustration is mostly from learning how to play. After you figure out all the stupid poo poo it's a really fun game.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Leal posted:

I like to cruise around in travel, Drop into long range scan mode (since it preserves momentum and doesn't engage flight assist) ping, then pull up my map to find the question marks and head towards them. I know I could cheat with plots, and I really like the scout stalking energy traders idea, but there's something discovering it on my own that really satisfies my brain worms.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pylons posted:

I found some advice on reddit which is to restrict trading with other factions and manually set prices, and put the product price to lowest so that autotraders prefer your product in their calculations. I tried that, but it didn't really seem to work, and I also tried just setting the trader as a subordinate, which didn't work either. My prices were about the lowest they could get on automatic because my end-product storage was completely full.

The patch notes mentioned a fix for station traders so maybe try that again?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Leal posted:

It's single player, and a lot of the game is immersion. I find it tedious and feel pretty strongly that they would at the very least advertise in system, if not be present in a database that could be purchased or something. I don't go to a city then drive down random roads until I find a clothing store, or food store. I use technology to tell me where it is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

pixaal posted:

if not be present in a database that could be purchased or something

I haven't bought one but the various factions do offer a trade subscription for a very large fee.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

pixaal posted:

It's single player, and a lot of the game is immersion. I find it tedious and feel pretty strongly that they would at the very least advertise in system, if not be present in a database that could be purchased or something. I don't go to a city then drive down random roads until I find a clothing store, or food store. I use technology to tell me where it is.

One of the problems with a lot of sci-fi in general, or long-standing games series like this, is there's no reasonable excuse for a lot of how the world functions now that we know how automation and information sharing works. How can there be 0 public information on the actual layout of the galaxy? How has it not been crawled by the hundreds of fighter drones I see circling the starting areas? Where is neo-Wikipedia?

The thing that actually killed X3 for me when I really tried to get into it was that the trading made no sense. If you can build a mining station in outer-loving-space then you should have the foresight to set up your own supply lines, not just run out of materials and hope a random ship flies in so you can buy what you knew you'd need at a huge markup. The economy was so shallow in that regard.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I haven't bought one but the various factions do offer a trade subscription for a very large fee.

I haven't been able to locate any info on the trade subs, but they go up in price as you accept more ranks, when I had no rank it was 100k, it went up to 5m after I accepted my rank. I interpreted it as trade missions for the faction.

Let's assume your right (it's the most common assumption) I'll just ask the same government for a list of all clammed space plots. Is it that strange for a bureaucracy to gently caress themselves over by having one department give information away for free while another gouges for the same information?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

androo posted:

One of the problems with a lot of sci-fi in general, or long-standing games series like this, is there's no reasonable excuse for a lot of how the world functions now that we know how automation and information sharing works. How can there be 0 public information on the actual layout of the galaxy? How has it not been crawled by the hundreds of fighter drones I see circling the starting areas? Where is neo-Wikipedia?

The thing that actually killed X3 for me when I really tried to get into it was that the trading made no sense. If you can build a mining station in outer-loving-space then you should have the foresight to set up your own supply lines, not just run out of materials and hope a random ship flies in so you can buy what you knew you'd need at a huge markup. The economy was so shallow in that regard.

That's what AI traders are for. I had my own traders supplying all my stuff in X3. Maybe it was a mod, I think I installed a few, it's been awhile.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Disassemble it? Kinda. Just remove all the modules in the plan and it'll get put back in the build storage, then you can manually tell a trade ship to transfer wares from that build storage to another station's build storage. But I did have to set up loooots of trips. There might be a way to automate it but I'm not sure.

The key thing is that it costs nothing to reconfigure stations, you only need to buy the parts you need to build the station, if your new configuration uses fewer or the same parts, it doesn't cost anything but hiring a builder.

Where's the build storage at? I disassembled pretty much everything, but I can't figure out what I need to get my freighter to land at to transport to my new location.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

pixaal posted:

I use technology to tell me where it is.

'ere guys, get a load of the cyborg here.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pylons posted:

Where's the build storage at? I disassembled pretty much everything, but I can't figure out what I need to get my freighter to land at to transport to my new location.

It's a small structure floating away from the main platform but you would be better served letting the AI do it, the build storage is accessible from the main station dropdown. So select your trader when you're not piloting it, right click the station, and then you want "transfer wares with build storage" rather than "transfer wares with station".

I think because it's all tied up with build orders you can't just pull stuff out or put it in yourself, you have to get the AI to do it.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

OwlFancier posted:

It's a small structure floating away from the main platform but you would be better served letting the AI do it, the build storage is accessible from the main station dropdown. So select your trader when you're not piloting it, right click the station, and then you want "transfer wares with build storage" rather than "transfer wares with station".

I think because it's all tied up with build orders you can't just pull stuff out or put it in yourself, you have to get the AI to do it.

You can actually dock with the build storage but you have to get really close to be able to select it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Polikarpov posted:

You can actually dock with the build storage but you have to get really close to be able to select it.

Yes but I couldn't dump ecells into it when I tried.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Because the tutorial is busted and I have not been able to complete it.

Can someone explain what long range scanning mode does?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It highlights stations and several other objects on your map.

On another note, i found a pretty funny bug today. When I was running on one of those treadmills I got a com call thanking me for blowing up some criminals ship. This made me come to a complete halt on a treadmill and after the transmission was over I glitched out and started to float in the air. I actually kept glitching through everything and couldnt even shift D back to my ship (I kept floating through it). Only after I hit the barrier of the docking zone did my character suddenly regain gravity and i was able to warp back to my ship.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Popete posted:

Because the tutorial is busted and I have not been able to complete it.

Can someone explain what long range scanning mode does?

Pings everything in system. Enter long range scan mode, then hold secondary fire. You should hear the sound of power gathering. If you hear something that sounds like power loss you held the button to long. It makes a pleasing humming sound when it's ready, but muscle memory on how long to hold it is easier to master since it's always the same time. You release it after a few seconds and will get a light blue pulse and hear a sound similar to a sub sonar for each object it hits. Scans in a decent radius from the ship.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Good grief the sound effects for a medium sized hauler sound like a trucks gears being slipped over and over. It's very painful.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

It highlights stations and several other objects on your map.

On another note, i found a pretty funny bug today. When I was running on one of those treadmills I got a com call thanking me for blowing up some criminals ship. This made me come to a complete halt on a treadmill and after the transmission was over I glitched out and started to float in the air. I actually kept glitching through everything and couldnt even shift D back to my ship (I kept floating through it). Only after I hit the barrier of the docking zone did my character suddenly regain gravity and i was able to warp back to my ship.

There's some really strange physics glitches. Bind head movements to for platform to a flightstick, now look all the way up. The camera stutters as the stick tries to position your head further back than the max value. If you do this long enough and will fall through the floor, or teleport around the station. It could also be my framerate though. I get 15FPS on station but 70FPS in space. I'm running a really unbalanced computer though (i5-2500k @4.8Ghz, R9 280x and 32GB of RAM)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

pixaal posted:

Pings everything in system. Enter long range scan mode, then hold secondary fire. You should hear the sound of power gathering. If you hear something that sounds like power loss you held the button to long. It makes a pleasing humming sound when it's ready, but muscle memory on how long to hold it is easier to master since it's always the same time. You release it after a few seconds and will get a light blue pulse and hear a sound similar to a sub sonar for each object it hits. Scans in a decent radius from the ship.

Each contact is highlighted by a circle. Purple flashers are something cool, and it's kinda directional. I use the radar cardinals to scan in different directions (don't forget up/down) when I'm looking for stuff.

I don't know that holding it for different amounts of time does much, I've not noticed much difference in this or Rebirth. Also don't know how the software update effects it.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

pixaal posted:

You can open the map, select "plots" it will show you every plot even ones that are in the fog. Every NPC object (gates, stations) has a legal plot.
I would consider this exploiting a bug so I don't do it.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I've found a rather hilarious bug. If you place a buy order for any item while docked with a hauler in station, it causes the hauler to flip the gently caress out and do forward flip loops and act completely insane. There's nothing you can do about this as the transaction causes everything to brick.

Meanwhile performing the same action outwith of a station seems to be impossible since the hauler isn't available in your list of owned properties in the buy order.

Sigh.

EDIT: I've figured it out. What's happening is that if you place buy/sell orders whilst sitting in the helm, but while a captain is assigned, the captain hijacks the ship and attempts to wrestle it toward the buy/sell objective. Again there's gently caress all you can do in this situation.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 3, 2018

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Hav posted:

Each contact is highlighted by a circle. Purple flashers are something cool, and it's kinda directional. I use the radar cardinals to scan in different directions (don't forget up/down) when I'm looking for stuff.

I don't know that holding it for different amounts of time does much, I've not noticed much difference in this or Rebirth. Also don't know how the software update effects it.

Worth noting that stations and objects like jumpgates will show as ?'s on your sector map in grey outside of your revealed area if your long range scan pings them. Anomolies, abandoned ships, and other goodies will not, although they WILL show on your radar in ship if you can get them in sensor range before they disappear from the long range scan ping. I think it scans something like the distance of an advanced satellite, about 75km radius.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

What a ride these few days have been. I now have to take some time off due to work, but all for the better, as I find myself in the spot I usually end up with these games after a few days. I ended up committing most of my units to support the war effort, but the buy orders soon ran out and now my ships are hanging around doing nothing or selling minute amounts of cargo. The player headquarters is also a bit of a dead end. The teleportation research is game breaking - on the last level you can teleport across the whole universe. It also takes 10 minutes to research and doesn’t cost anything because that quest chain is not finished. So now I have to pack up my empire and re-focus on some other activities, but it’s a lot of work and the interface doesn’t have some basic functionalities that would be useful, like copy pasting orders or templates. Don’t get me wrong, it’s glorious and I can’t wait to play more but I’m also super keen on seeing the change logs and how the development team progresses from this point on.

I think the interface can be a monster when it comes to running an empire, but it needs a lot of work and the fact it’s so complex now means I’m not even sure that Egosoft can achieve it. Conversely I’m not sure modders will be up to the task - this isn’t simple XML editing anymore. I’d love for people to do more character models and new stations, but this all looks so complex and modern that I don’t know how feasible it is. Also I agree with the criticism that the universe feels small and that it could benefit from more breathing space and emptiness.

To my surprise I had a lot of fun with the combat and dogfighting. It seems to be fun even though some tweaking is in order here too, like the boosting away problem. The weapons and what they do and how they differ is still not clear to me because I haven’t had that much time to test them, what with the turrets being broken and the AI problems - I guess I’ll wait a little bit more to have a better picture. Also there just doesn’t seem to be that much going on in the core systems, at least at the beginning stage of the game. I’ve also been very lucky with bugs and performance.

It’s too bad that the crew mechanics are unclear and obtuse - if they work the way I think they do, or if the framework is in place for an advanced system, then this could be pretty cool in the future. I see something like football manager in space. Imagine having ace pilots on both sides where you have to take care of them and their training but also you could go after the competitions ace pilots and either have them killed or stolen away. Or maybe go after a particularly efficient station manager. So much potential.

I am already sad that I can’t take my huge desktop PC with me for Christmas and will have to stop playing for at least two weeks. On the other hand it will be pretty cool to come back and see what they’ve been up to in that time.

Anomandaris
Apr 3, 2010

Mokotow posted:

I am already sad that I can’t take my huge desktop PC with me for Christmas and will have to stop playing for at least two weeks. On the other hand it will be pretty cool to come back and see what they’ve been up to in that time.

Park yourself on a station, leave the PC on and check what happened to your empire over 2 weeks of the game playing itself.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Anomandaris posted:

Park yourself on a station, leave the PC on and check what happened to your empire over 2 weeks of the game playing itself.

This is how you burn your house down.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hmm so I put my station in Nopileous Fortune 2 and nobody seems to want to come here to buy things. Quite different from earlier games where you would have people truck across the entire universe to find your deals.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Trying to build my dock for the main quest. I've got all the materials there, I've hired a builder, but progress still hasn't begun. Is it just a matter of the Mammoth trudging its big slow rear end over to my station?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Hmm so I put my station in Nopileous Fortune 2 and nobody seems to want to come here to buy things. Quite different from earlier games where you would have people truck across the entire universe to find your deals.

I had my wares selling in the PHQ for a while, but refined metal sales did eventually completely stop. Once I make enough for a large trader (because I just managed station moving with like, 5 M traders and it sucked a lot) I'll try buying a plot next to the highway.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Is it just a matter of the Mammoth trudging its big slow rear end over to my station?

yes

everything is real time, including the type of engines npc's use to get to you

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
So I hypothesize that they released the some of transport ships with the wrong cargo types. My reasoning for this is such:

1) all the races have two M sized transporters that cost the same price. However one always holds more than the other, and the one that holds less typically has no major redeeming characteristics

2) the lesser of the two ships all seem to have a model that shows "barrels" or "tanks" on the side. These are almost identical to the containers you'll see in gas fields that hold liquids/gas

3) transport ships can be assigned to other ships (miners) to trade for them. This would be an excellent feature to have M transports dock on L/XL miners to collect either their solid(minerals) or liquid(gas). However, since no transport ships currently have liquid or solid storage, this requires miners to do the mining and transporting themselves.

Maybe I'm completely wrong on this, but it seems very odd that if you want to trade liquids or ores, you have to do it with mining ships.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pylons posted:

I had my wares selling in the PHQ for a while, but refined metal sales did eventually completely stop. Once I make enough for a large trader (because I just managed station moving with like, 5 M traders and it sucked a lot) I'll try buying a plot next to the highway.

I can see that there are places in the world that want my teladianium but even my traders won't sell there for some reason. Weird.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Nothing in the universe uses nvidium right now so make sure your miners aren't mining it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/X4Foundations/comments/a2pxt2/food_tech_production_flowcharts/

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

AlexanderCA posted:

What size is the ship. somewhere in small print in the tutorials is that what you're doing is for small ships. M size ships and above require you to send out marines to board it.

Nah it was just a Demeter. I just blew it up, then the game complained it didn't drop the mission-critical crate and failed me

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Am I playing x4 right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipps4BWkvVQ

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
They added the T.16000m FCS HOTAS profile today so I cobbled together an awful cheat sheet to help me get used to the controls, here it is if anyone else is also a dumb spaceman pressing random buttons. :derp:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Has anyone actually seen crew skill increase over time yet? I'm wondering if they've maybe not implemented it yet because my traders have been running for a lot of hours with no increases to their piloting skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I was just about to write a confused post asking how the hell you build a station. Just as I was about to hit enter I thought 'I'll check one last thing'

Turns out if you make the UI too large the 'confirm changes' button is pushed off the screen so you can never confirm your plans (at least on my monitor)

Goddamnit.

Edit: I was wondering why the tutorial was saying 'cancel your changes' and I couldn't find any cancel button.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 4, 2018