Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

What if the Rangers don't even have powers? They can just be teens, and sometimes the high school and rec centre get attacked by monsters, which they can't defeat.

Yeah. Deconstruct every trope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

What if the Rangers don't even have powers? They can just be teens, and sometimes the high school and rec centre get attacked by monsters, which they can't defeat.

Yeah. Deconstruct every trope.

They already made that movie. It was alright enough to get a sequel, but had enough Saban had to sell the property

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

drrockso20 posted:

That is a really bad idea for a ton of reasons

I mean, is it? The robots have barely mattered for a while now. The designs have gone down the drain. And they don't even sell anymore.

Maybe it's time Super Sentai stops pretending it cares about the mecha side and focuses more on the humans if it won't actually do something interesting with the mecha. It can even use the budget that would go for those suits and stuff for more collectibles, maybe even give all the team a proper super mode (that isn't a bad chestplate (that gets used by one person at a time (and said person is only the Red))). We haven't had that since goddamn Magiranger (including all parenthesis)!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

drrockso20 posted:

That is a really bad idea for a ton of reasons

We can still have zords, but just no Megazord. Make the finisher a team attack.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Both are really good in very different ways and I love them both. Enjoy!

GoBusters is like a mixture of all the stuff I like in other stuff. It’s got a computer virus villain and goofy Rangers like RPM, a robot bicycle buddy like Karate Robo Zaborgar, a focus on what it looks like for normal people during a battle and the cleanup like LightSpeed Rescue, and an adorable dance to boot. And I get to see Gokaigers again in the crossover movies, which is a bonus. :allears:

Kyoruger is different from Dino Charge is about all I can say about it right now. I’m only 6 episodes into it but I am really enjoying it. I actually really like King (not as much as Tyler, but he is definitely likable) and Ramires gives me hope that I can one day be in Sentai. I am sad we didn’t get a Poisandra concert.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Star Man posted:

We can still have zords, but just no Megazord. Make the finisher a team attack.
Kakuranger had that for a bit and it sucked

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
GoBus didn't even have their first actual mecha combination until the sixth episode, but there was also less focus on the mecha battles in general for most of the show because the MoTW was always defeated at the ground level. The focus instead was defeating the MoTW before the big enemy appeared so they wouldn't have to split their forces to fight both simultaneously.

All these and other new concepts that children hated apparently. :shrug:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I mean, is it? The robots have barely mattered for a while now. The designs have gone down the drain. And they don't even sell anymore.

Maybe it's time Super Sentai stops pretending it cares about the mecha side and focuses more on the humans if it won't actually do something interesting with the mecha. It can even use the budget that would go for those suits and stuff for more collectibles, maybe even give all the team a proper super mode (that isn't a bad chestplate (that gets used by one person at a time (and said person is only the Red))). We haven't had that since goddamn Magiranger (including all parenthesis)!

Gekiranger had that as well though only for the main three (Goseiger and Go-Busters technically had team super modes as well but they were mostly just chestplates).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Gekiranger had that as well though only for the main three (Goseiger and Go-Busters technically had team super modes as well but they were mostly just chestplates).

I'm really bad at remembering Sentai order, derp. You're absolutely right, Gekiranger was the last one to fit all of those categories. Actually, since I'm here, I may as well show what I mean correctly.

Let's separate this into three points:
1) The power-up must be given to all the main team (sixths excluded)
2) The power-up must be usable by all the team at once
3) The power-up must significantly change the base suit, it can't just add a chestplate and other minor changes

Now, Gekiranger is the last one to hit all three points. Following from there:

-Go-Onger: no super mode, beyond the one time Sosuke used the Kyoryu Disc in the Shinkenger crossover movie which violates all three points.
-Shinkenger: two super modes (Super and Hyper), both fail at 2 and 3 until the Goseiger crossover, which fits 2 (Takeru uses Hyper rather than Super, but he could use Super). Nonetheless, 3 is still failed.
-Goseiger: one super mode (Super), fails at 3.
-Gokaiger: one super mode (Gold Mode), fails all three points. In the Super GokaiRed special, it actually succeeds at 1, but not in the series proper.
-Go-Busters: one super mode (Powered Custom), fails at 3. The post-series Animal Sentai special has its own joke super mode (Super Animal) which also fails at 3.
-Kyoryuger: one super mode (Carnival), fails at 1 and 2.
-ToQger: one super mode (Hyper), fails at 2 and 3. With how awfully it is used by the girls, I'd say it partly fails at 1 too.
-Ninninger: two super modes (Chozetsu and Super). Both work differently, both fail at different points:
--Chozetsu fails at 2 and 3, though it does a much better job at 3 than the previous examples. The ToQger point also stands here, it partly fails at 1 as well.
--Super fails all three.
-Zyuohger: one super mode (Whale, with its own super mode in All Beasts Unleashed). Fails at 1 and 2.
-Kyuranger: one super mode (Orion), fails at 1 and 2.
-Lupinranger vs Patranger: two super modes (Super Lupin and Super Pat Lupin X). Both fail at all three points, with the latter getting an extra failure by not being used even by the person who was meant to use it.

It'd be great to have a super mode that actually hits all three points again. Hell, I'd be happy with just 1 and 2 at this point.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Uh, PatranUnigou is used by all members of the Patrangers (at once!) and significantly changes the base suit :pseudo:

We'll pretend LupinTriColore doesn't exist because it's the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Maybe it can ditch the spandex for plastic armor. And stop being so rigid with the colour themes. And maybe have more variety in the number of heroes, like sometimes there's only one or two maybe. And they can be bug themed but with another gimmick that we can make collectibles out of, like USB sticks or game cartridges!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

This might sound farfetched, but what about human souls?

No, stay with me. Like, famous figures, people who changed the course of history through their deeds. Surely their souls would be powerful enough to fuel a hero? People like Nikola Tesla, Tokugawa Ieyasu, Stephen Hawking. Maybe even a fictional character like King Arthur?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Uh, PatranUnigou is used by all members of the Patrangers (at once!) and significantly changes the base suit :pseudo:

We'll pretend LupinTriColore doesn't exist because it's the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

Those aren't really super modes, though, they're the Armed On or Beast Unleashed of the show, one special move that the characters have had since day one. The super modes in LuPat are Victory and Siren Striker, both of which are given to the Lupinrangers because of course they are (ignore the latter screams SUPER PATRANGER when used as a toy, as the series does), both of which are all of what I dislike in super modes.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Blaze Dragon posted:

Those aren't really super modes, though, they're the Armed On or Beast Unleashed of the show, one special move that the characters have had since day one. The super modes in LuPat are Victory and Siren Striker, both of which are given to the Lupinrangers because of course they are (ignore the latter screams SUPER PATRANGER when used as a toy, as the series does), both of which are all of what I dislike in super modes.
You just called beasts unleashed a super mode though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MadScientistWorking posted:

You just called beasts unleashed a super mode though.

I called Yamato's specific All Beasts Unleashed one, the one that was used a grand total of one time in the grand finale. I wouldn't say the same for his usual wing stuff.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Blaze Dragon posted:

I called Yamato's specific All Beasts Unleashed one, the one that was used a grand total of one time in the grand finale. I wouldn't say the same for his usual wing stuff.
But Yamato's variation was used repeatedly throughout the series.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

No, stay with me. Like, famous figures, people who changed the course of history through their deeds. Surely their souls would be powerful enough to fuel a hero? People like Nikola Tesla, Tokugawa Ieyasu, Stephen Hawking. Maybe even a fictional character like King Arthur?
Sounds pretty heavy for kids. How about a show where the hero just wants to be friends with everybody, make it like a high school drama and his powers work better if he has more friends or something. And give him a cool hairdo like Danny Zuko.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How about the power is literally inside of you. So instead of gaining a power suit, you blast away the flesh that is holding you back and become a super powered skeleton fighter

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Totally agree. Honestly, how many episodes of PR or SS have just shoehorned in a 30 second giant battle simply because you have to? What really would even be lost without them? You'd just be pushing a different set of over priced toyson kids.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

JT Smiley posted:

Totally agree. Honestly, how many episodes of PR or SS have just shoehorned in a 30 second giant battle simply because you have to? What really would even be lost without them? You'd just be pushing a different set of over priced toyson kids.

The smart way that the requisite giant fight is done if it's not meant to be the climax is putting it at the beginning of the episode

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

How about the power is literally inside of you. So instead of gaining a power suit, you blast away the flesh that is holding you back and become a super powered skeleton fighter

Okay, let's roll with this. But how do we make this friendlier to kids? Dia de los muertos isn't exactly scary, despite being full of skeles. So, what if we made them a mariachi band? They could attack with music! A trumpet, a guitar, maybe some drums? Do mariachi play percussion? Our superpowered skeleton champion could, and maybe that's a positive message for kids, too. Follow no one else's beat but your own. Yes, perfect, this is a winning concept!

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Xelkelvos posted:

The smart way that the requisite giant fight is done if it's not meant to be the climax is putting it at the beginning of the episode

I loved how In Space would work in unused Megaranger battle footage into the cold open of an episode. Shame I can't think of any other season to do that.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
DinoThunder has an episode that starts with a Zord battle that's unrelated to the monster in the rest of the episode at least.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Okay, let's roll with this. But how do we make this friendlier to kids? Dia de los muertos isn't exactly scary, despite being full of skeles. So, what if we made them a mariachi band? They could attack with music! A trumpet, a guitar, maybe some drums? Do mariachi play percussion? Our superpowered skeleton champion could, and maybe that's a positive message for kids, too. Follow no one else's beat but your own. Yes, perfect, this is a winning concept!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1lJnQOK24Q

Sorry, any time it comes up I have to watch this.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, Divatox has a seriously bad day.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
In my GoBusters watch I watched the first Super Hero Taisan movie. What the hell did I just watch?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

This might sound farfetched, but what about human souls?

We had that. It was called Kamen Rider Ghost

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

mateo360 posted:

We had that. It was called Kamen Rider Ghost

That is literally the joke.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 2, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/PowerRangersNOW/status/1069637733553848321?s=19

Cool, boom studios is adapting a pre-Zyuranger team. I wonder how long they'll continue to have the rights considering Hasbro owns their own comic imprint.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

https://twitter.com/PowerRangersNOW/status/1069637733553848321?s=19

Cool, boom studios is adapting a pre-Zyuranger team. I wonder how long they'll continue to have the rights considering Hasbro owns their own comic imprint.

Hasbro doesn't own IDW, last I checked

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Uh oh I just broke an nda

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Fiveman of all teams? They must have an interesting idea for it. Or maybe it's just the aesthetics?

Whoa-oa-oa-oa, my brother teammate

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The suits got used in Super Megaforce

And it was bad

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
jetman team made up entirely of the bird people from mmpr season 3

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'd love an ongoing of their PR team made up of PR randos and led by Lauren.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I'm betting the Beyond the Grid group gets their own set of ranger powers from the same group that the new alien lady uses.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm still waiting for Power Rangers Tommy Force, consisting of Tommy(green), Tommy(white), Tommy(red), Tommy(also red), Tommy(black), and Tommy(the white stranger), and the villain is Lord Drakkon. Even if it's just a miniseries that they sell at a con. I am begging you Hasbro, do The Joke.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm still waiting for Power Rangers Tommy Force, consisting of Tommy(green), Tommy(white), Tommy(red), Tommy(also red), Tommy(black), and Tommy(the white stranger), and the villain is Lord Drakkon. Even if it's just a miniseries that they sell at a con. I am begging you Hasbro, do The Joke.

Part of me believes Son of the Dragon will inevitably lead to this. After all, one of the points given in the very first issue is that Tommy is old and his Master Morpher is damaged, so why not have him join forces with time-travelling Tommies to save his son?

And hell, Lord Drakkon can complete his pass to the light side and join too.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Give Tommy an All Tommies mode, which is just GokaiSilver's vest with only Tommy masks.

Not helmets. Just Tommy faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Give Tommy an All Tommies mode, which is just GokaiSilver's vest with only Tommy masks.

Not helmets. Just Tommy faces.

Not faces, just hairdos. His current, normal adult hair. His dino thunder Guy Fieri hair. His long let it flow I'm native American now hair. His classic ponytail.