Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

The complaints are also silly because from a practical standpoint same body types meant just one mould you could think give different hair and accessories. Even as a kid I recognized that!

yea I love the 'BACK WHEN THE SHOW WAS GOOD VS WHEN SJWS RUINED IT' comparisons they do that are shots of the whole cast because it's literally just {generic female body} and {generic male body} all the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Argue posted:

I thought the show had a strong start and a good lead-up into the end. The middle was a bit too Saturday morning-y with several episodes where they met a bunch of caricatures then had one-off adventures with them. The season finale was ok but I felt it came too easily; having the princesses save the day at the last second was pretty much the expected outcome, which would have been fine if they'd had an actual arc between "gently caress this poo poo" and "here we come to save the day", but they didn't, so I was left unsatisfied

At least there was some plausible explanation for it - it was stated that Entrapta's science project with the Black Garnet was starting to gently caress poo poo up all over the planet. Which would certainly alert each and every princess to the fact that something big was going down, such that sitting at home and minding one's own business was no longer a viable strategy against the Horde. Though you're certainly right in that it would have been nice for them to actually show that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cockmaster posted:

At least there was some plausible explanation for it - it was stated that Entrapta's science project with the Black Garnet was starting to gently caress poo poo up all over the planet. Which would certainly alert each and every princess to the fact that something big was going down, such that sitting at home and minding one's own business was no longer a viable strategy against the Horde. Though you're certainly right in that it would have been nice for them to actually show that.

I mean, it was presumably sapping their runestones as well, which is a really good reason for them to sit up and take notice. I feel like the scene where they all sealed themselves away behind barriers created with their powers was decent setup for how things went down - no powers, no barrier.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This show is good and Entrapta is the best, I hope she switches sides every few episodes next season

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Entrapta is clearly a could not should kind of scientist, so she'll do anything for more access to first ones tech.

Catra may be great, but she is a toxic friend and a user of people. She cannot be redeemed until she over comes that.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I want the (possible) new He-Man to have more armor than the previous versions due to being practical and also it would piss off the same people or some reason.

Also the ones with more armor have nice designs

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 3, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Can't say as I'm a fan of either of those personally. The first is imbalanced, and just looks odd with an armored chest and nothing else. Which is somewhat appropriate given the history of female character design idiocy when it comes to armor, but still just looks weird regardless. I don't like the overly complex hilt on his sword either. The thing is nearly an ax in it's own right, with a sword stuck on top.

The second is just way too busy. Asymmetrical arms, asymmetrical legs, asymmetrical chest...it even has an asymmetrical belt buckle. I'm getting tired just looking at it.

tsob fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 3, 2018

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I hope He-Man gets introduced eventually, not right anyway, but eventually. Mostly, I want to see Skeletor.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

This series is really good but I demand more Hordak, and also more gay communism.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

shadowvine118 posted:

I hope He-Man gets introduced eventually, not right anyway, but eventually. Mostly, I want to see Skeletor.

I do too, but at the same time I'm not sure I'll ever be able to to take Skeletor seriously as an antagonist again after the UK Money Supermarket ads.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-PgTjhx1VLw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nqhLn76kCv0

Though, watching them again they are suitably fabulous I guess.

KillerQueen posted:

This series is really good but I demand more Hordak, and also more gay communism.

I wonder what the chances are of getting a Swift Wind gay horse revolution short of him kicking in barn doors to free enslaved horses?

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Skeletor should be a combination of both the 2002 remake with the seriousness and menacing but also have the goofiness of his 1980's cartoon. Also way more ambitious than Hordak in his plans and would join his allies in battle more often. Hordak loving HATES Skeletor and vice versa.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Waffleopolis posted:

Skeletor should be a combination of both the 2002 remake with the seriousness and menacing but also have the goofiness of his 1980's cartoon. Also way more ambitious than Hordak in his plans and would join his allies in battle more often. Hordak loving HATES Skeletor and vice versa.

Someone compared the Horde and the Rebellion to two rival schools. So if the Horde are the ultra competitive sports rivals, does that make Skeletor's group the wacky stoners from summer camp? :v:

Darth Walrus posted:

One thing to remember about Episode 11 is that Catra reached her decision after being bombarded by very specific memories in a very specific pattern by a Definitely Trustworthy And Not At All Sinister AI who really wanted Adora to abandon her emotional connections. Seriously, that shot of Light Hope telling her to 'let go' immediately after Catra walked away was shady as gently caress, and I really doubt that the parallels with Episode 7 were accidental. Just an over/under on how many episodes it is until we find out that Mara was totally right, I reckon.

In that context, Catra fell so hard and fast because she was subjected to a sustained and vicious emotional assault by someone very powerful and very manipulative who went after her psychological weak spots with a hammer, and because she didn't have a good enough, healthy enough support network to help her bounce back. In a show about the power of friendship. Yeah, I wouldn't write her off just yet.

Speculation: I think the First Ones were some kind of conquering force and used the crystals and princesses to subjugate planets, with She-Ra as their tactical nuke. So Mara bonded with those they subjugated, questioned what they were doing and used all her powers to send Etheria to the dimension it's at now and break the line of She-Ra.

There's also the part where Entrapta was messing with First One tech that made the robots murderous, and made She-Ra go berserk. I'm guessing the First Ones installed some kind of "kill em all" protocol switch on She-Ra and we'd get an episode of everyone + Catra trying to get through the brainjacking.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waffleopolis posted:

I want the (possible) new He-Man to have more armor than the previous versions due to being practical and also it would piss off the same people or some reason.

Also the ones with more armor have nice designs

I think the best mode would simply be to have the He-Man design be inspired by the New Adventures one. It's more athletic than bodybuilder and you can even have Adam be a similar skinny kid to Adora.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Gaz-L posted:

I think the best mode would simply be to have the He-Man design be inspired by the New Adventures one. It's more athletic than bodybuilder and you can even have Adam be a similar skinny kid to Adora.

I really love this conception where Adam is 5% femme to Adora's 5% butch. It seems in keeping with the spirit of the redesign.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rand Brittain posted:

I really love this conception where Adam is 5% femme to Adora's 5% butch. It seems in keeping with the spirit of the redesign.
Yeah this rules. Give me that neckline on all his shirts and we're gold.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I kid of want He Man to still be more or less masculine, though. I think it's nice to show it's possible to be super manly without being a jerk.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

shadowvine118 posted:

I kid of want He Man to still be more or less masculine, though. I think it's nice to show it's possible to be super manly without being a jerk.

He'd be like the anti-Sea Hawk.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

shadowvine118 posted:

It would be good as a way of combatting toxic masculinity.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

There’s a documentary series on Netflix where they speak to creators/designers/marketers of well-known toy lines and the He-Man episode mentioned taking care to make Prince Adam kind and caring on the cartoon for basically that reason.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

There’s a documentary series on Netflix where they speak to creators/designers/marketers of well-known toy lines and the He-Man episode mentioned taking care to make Prince Adam kind and caring on the cartoon for basically that reason.

Both it and the Toys that made us episode on He-Man are great.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I think we can all be thankful that the little flying pink mascot thing from the original was only acknowledged in the form of a stuffed animal this time around.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Pretty much the one nice thing about the backlash against this series, for me, has been learning that the creators of the old series were pretty cool.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Waffleopolis posted:

You know what might be interesting? If She-Ra and the other Princesses had to team up with Skeletor temporarily to defeat Hordak in a "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" type situation.

KillerQueen posted:

Pretty much the one nice thing about the backlash against this series, for me, has been learning that the creators of the old series were pretty cool.

Yeah, it's always nice to learn about good people trying to make the world a better place.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You know what might be interesting? If She-Ra and the other Princesses had to team up with Skeletor temporarily to defeat Hordak in a "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" type situation.

Maybe it's a certain holiday and Skeletor has to learn that maybe its better to protect others? Maybe he carries a robot puppy around too?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Maybe it's a certain holiday and Skeletor has to learn that maybe its better to protect others? Maybe he carries a robot puppy around too?

I think you might be joking right now, but I would unironically love it if the new show ever did a shot by shot remake of the He-Man Christmas special.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

I think you might be joking right now, but I would unironically love it if the new show ever did a shot by shot remake of the He-Man Christmas special.

Complete with Bow's Christmas song?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Skeletor always read as Hordak's bitchy Ex to me.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

He's Wario to Hordask Waluigi.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Ooo, brainstorm! New Skeletor is just the nervous blonde guy from Adora's old squad that stumbles into some power but he's still totally incompetent!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

KillerQueen posted:

Ooo, brainstorm! New Skeletor is just the nervous blonde guy from Adora's old squad that stumbles into some power but he's still totally incompetent!

So Skeletor, then.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

twistedmentat posted:

I want to say Hordak gave Skeletor the original marching orders to Eternia which of course Skeletor promptly ignored/focused on his personal superiority. I think if he had gotten a hold of Grayskull’s power he’d immediately turn on Hordak and Horde Prime.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

KillerQueen posted:

I'm in as long as he gets the full Batman villain treatment

'now nervous blond guy, take this drum of face melting acid to Entrapta's lab, but don't spill it on your own face or you'll become a skeleton man'

*smash cut to blond guy rolling on the floor with a melting face*

'THIS IS SHE-RA'S FAULT SOMEHOW'

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

KillerQueen posted:

Eh, I mean if you think about it, before he-man skeletor was pretty successful. Besides, we still don't know who adora's parents are. She could have come from eternia and was separated due to the oracle. Or maybe Orko caused the separation.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Eh, I mean if you think about it, before he-man skeletor was pretty successful. Besides, we still don't know who adora's parents are. She could have come from eternia and was separated due to the oracle. Or maybe Orko caused the separation.

I will always want the actual reason is 'Skeletor kidnaps her, transports her to Hordak's place to gently caress with him'

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Look I just want skeletor to be really nervous and overshare constantly

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I want to say Hordak gave Skeletor the original marching orders to Eternia which of course Skeletor promptly ignored/focused on his personal superiority. I think if he had gotten a hold of Grayskull’s power he’d immediately turn on Hordak and Horde Prime.

I think he straight up turns on Hordak several times in the old show, they're pretty much enemies. One of the best/silliest episodes involves Skeletor baking Hordak a pie that when eaten causes him to fade from existence unless he can get someone to shed tears at his passing.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Android Blues posted:

I think he straight up turns on Hordak several times in the old show, they're pretty much enemies. One of the best/silliest episodes involves Skeletor baking Hordak a pie that when eaten causes him to fade from existence unless he can get someone to shed tears at his passing.

I was JUST looking for a clip from this as soon as i saw Skeletor talk spring up.

http://bogleech.tumblr.com/post/178884587684/in-case-you-didnt-see-it-in-my-she-ra-article-i

This clip is the entirety of my knowledge of Skeletors character and with only two lines I feel I got a really strong grasp on who he is. This is a skull faced man who loving LOVES being the biggest rear end in a top hat in the room.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

KillerQueen posted:

That’s Kyle, and he’s going to totally hook up with Bow at some point! :colbert:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Complete with Bow's Christmas song?

Yes, but longer and with more elaborate stage productions.

twistedmentat posted:

They're BOTH the bitchy Ex to each other.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I was JUST looking for a clip from this as soon as i saw Skeletor talk spring up.

http://bogleech.tumblr.com/post/178884587684/in-case-you-didnt-see-it-in-my-she-ra-article-i

This clip is the entirety of my knowledge of Skeletors character and with only two lines I feel I got a really strong grasp on who he is. This is a skull faced man who loving LOVES being the biggest rear end in a top hat in the room.

Yeah, that's about right. Super dramatic, super mean, and super fed up with everyone else's incompetence, that's Skellitor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSwus_SFMP8

The Monarch from Venture Brothers and Papyrus from Undertale are both clearly influenced by the him (although Papyrus is a good guy version of the character, but still super dramatic and self confident).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Yeah, that's about right. Super dramatic, super mean, and super fed up with everyone else's incompetence, that's Skellitor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSwus_SFMP8

:allears: I love Skeletor.

"Books are the real treasure of the world!"

Now I'm imagining that Skeletor used to be a burnt out English teacher now seeking revenge because Eternia scrapped their literacy programs.

E: Speaking of the Holiday special, a few years back, my dad was pissed off a few days before Christmas because he didn't have enough decorating done. I told him I'd have it finished before he was back from picking up pizza. This was some of my handiwork:

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 5, 2018