Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well that's just objectively wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ghostlight posted:

hey now, it's a bad movie

Good news: they're rebooting it! :haw:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

All J-Pop sounds like Smashmouth to me, so in a way it kind of is...

Holy poo poo, you are very much not wrong.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

If it hurts their bottom line, they will drop that poo poo idea fast, it wouldn’t surprise me if they drop it this week. On bf1, get it, it still has a pretty big player base and you can find the complete edition pretty easy and cheap.

That's probably why they gave themselves the deadline of Dec 17 before smashing the purge button. Leaves enough room to do some impressive backflips.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

I don't know how you can make a sequel or reboot to Shrek now in the wake of all the various Shrek/All Star memes that have made in the last few years.

Like, I feel like you couldn't make it work unless you made it some sort of surrealist horror film, and worked in the "it's all ogre now" line.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The first Shrek movie might have started a lot of negative trends in animated films, but it's a legitimately good movie when it's just riffing on fairy tales while telling its own story, and Shrek 2 is hilarious.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Puss in Boots is the best movie of the series by a wide, wide margin

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

hey now, it's a bad movie

So's a lot of anime

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The rest is bad series and OVAs

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

On bf1, get it, it still has a pretty big player base and you can find the complete edition pretty easy and cheap.

Is that on PC or PS4? I'm not super keen on playing FPS games on consoles, but it looks like you can get the Complete Edition real cheap for PS4.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Puss in Boots is the best movie of the series by a wide, wide margin

I honestly liked the Jack and Jill convos as Jack was talking about the fact that he wanted to be a father. It felt like a nice little side story to the whole thing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Max Wilco posted:

Is that on PC or PS4? I'm not super keen on playing FPS games on consoles, but it looks like you can get the Complete Edition real cheap for PS4.

PS4. Pc probably has a good player base too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shrek 2 is genuinely a hilarious and sweet movie, the reboot is gonna suck and probably just be cashing in on memes

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Augus posted:

Shrek 2 is genuinely a hilarious and sweet movie, the reboot is gonna suck and probably just be cashing in on memes

it's still impressive to me that they managed to take a plot about dealing with married life, unsupportive in-laws, and racism and classism and build a funny movie around it that's clear in focus enough for kids to enjoy.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Augus posted:

Shrek's gonna dab and the entire ambient soundtrack will be subtle remixes of All Star and he's gonna pull out a camera and say crunje routinely and probably wear a fedora at some point

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Yardbomb posted:

Shrek's gonna dab and the entire ambient soundtrack will be subtle remixes of All Star and he's gonna pull out a camera and say crunje routinely and probably wear a fedora at some point

have neil cicierega score it and i might consider watching

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah he literally hired a team of consultants and marketers from day one to establish his brand. He's a corp.

Also wasn't he technically a contractor for Disney, who will own us all in a few decades?

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Kids today only know the parody versions of fairytales so nuShrek will be parodies of parodies. The film will be rendered with jpeg artifacts.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM70TROZQsI

AllmyFrench78
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Is any of you guys going to talk about the brand new red letter media video?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

AllmyFrench78 posted:

Is any of you guys going to talk about the brand new red letter media video?

It's very good.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Since Shrek started as a parody of animated movies of the time and their worn, stupid tropes, I think it would be interesting is the Shrek reboot did that with modern cgi movies

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I saw a gimmick I recognised and I clapped.

also the ghost joke was good. tapes were unsatisfying.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ghostlight posted:

I saw a gimmick I recognised and I clapped.

also the ghost joke was good. tapes were unsatisfying.

Yeah it’s why I don’t care for wheel of the worst. A lot of the time the material is just to thin to do anything with.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Since Shrek started as a parody of animated movies of the time and their worn, stupid tropes, I think it would be interesting is the Shrek reboot did that with modern cgi movies

That's the thing, kinda echoing that old video about why the Simpsons went downhill - Shrek stopped making fun of the animated movie zeitgeist because the animated movie zeitgeist has mostly shifted to be like Shrek.

The original was a middle finger at lazy Disney animated movies - the remake should be a middle finger at the lazy Disney live action "re-imaginings".

Show me a live-action trailer with a super-slow dramatic version of All-Star sung by Lana Del Ray and maybe they have the right idea.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah it’s why I don’t care for wheel of the worst. A lot of the time the material is just to thin to do anything with.

Yeah, but from time to time you get gold like Surviving Edged Weapons.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
pedantic romantic is doing some interesting takes on anime that go into actually interesting territory and now has my attention, criticizing anime journalism and crunchyroll from the left

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hemingway To Go! posted:

pedantic romantic is doing some interesting takes on anime that go into actually interesting territory and now has my attention, criticizing anime journalism and crunchyroll from the left

What was the 'Fire Emblem debacle' they mentioned?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

there's a growing number of these handheld console scams out there. the smach z immediately comes to mind. i'd argue that backing any handheld console on kickstarter or indiegogo at this point is a gigantic risk. actually after watching this i'd caution against supporting anything on indiegogo, they come out sounding exceptionally scummy too.

also i lmao'd at the unexpected ashens and fredrik knudsen at the end

Interesting update: So the video was taken down due to a legal threat based on someone's privacy. Given the video includes people who claimed they couldn't come to court out of a fear of their genitals being cut off, this involves either bogus threats or insane paranoia, you decide. Anyway, sounds like his solution is to fix the video to blur out the face...

...and upload it shortly to Larry Bundy Jr.'s channel for an even bigger audience :golfclap:

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Speaking of Guru Larry, I should take the opportunity to promote Digitiser: The Show! Of which he is one of the hosts - it's currently halfway through the run and seriously cooking on gas. It's absolutely, gloriously manic. Also, this episode has an arse. But WHOSE?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_AkZ9VYVRM

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, but from time to time you get gold like Surviving Edged Weapons.
I'd already seen all that ever needed to be seen of Surviving Edged Weapons back in like 2010.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

What was the 'Fire Emblem debacle' they mentioned?

I'm assuming it was the whole Fire Emblem Fates mess which basically had two points of contention:
-a creepy touching minigame was removed
-the translation was extremely liberal when it came to characters, completely rewriting a few of them

Chuds, angry at the first point, latched onto the second and used it to get the female employee who managed the translation fired.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I like best of the worst black spine because I love weird loving videos for incredibly niche 90s things that've only ever been seen by a couple hundred people at the most. That video for the ice sculpture festival was meant for me. If I can hear some half-hearted riffs so much the better

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Black Spine #1 got them to talk about Partners.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

As only an intermittent watcher of RLM, I have now been made aware of Surviving Edged Weapons and am incredibly thankful of that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm assuming it was the whole Fire Emblem Fates mess which basically had two points of contention:
-the translation was extremely liberal when it came to characters, completely rewriting a few of them

Chuds, angry at the first point, latched onto the second and used it to get the female employee who managed the translation fired.

Oh, right. And it was the translators who re-wrote characters who started a whole website devoted to slagging Persona 5's localization (which was mostly fine except for a few stilted parts).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

As someone who initially thought most of the grousing about it was dumb until I went over most of it myself, the P5 localization is not "mostly fine." Entire scenes, entire characters come across weird and stilted as hell. It can be confusing and awkward at the best of times.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kim Justice posted:

As only an intermittent watcher of RLM, I have now been made aware of Surviving Edged Weapons and am incredibly thankful of that.

This movie was a CineD staple for a while so I was so stoked when they finally watched it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Mokinokaro posted:

She wasn't even the translator or manager, as I recall, she worked PR for Treehouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kim Justice posted:

i am waiting for them to watch yello dino because it was on the wheel. thats one of the darkest PSA for kids i have seen in a while.