Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Has anyone compiled a list of alternate starts that can be unlocked? So far I've only found a trading start (no idea what triggered it) but I'm going through and doing various achievements to see what pops up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Huh. So I hit 10+ rank with the Ministry of Finance. Got the usual "Talk to dude for rank up!" mission. Went to their rep and did the usual "Rank and speech please".

Nothing has changed. All my permissions are the same as before my rank up :doh:

Taking a closer look at my reputation screen. Despite the mission and pop up claiming I was getting "Ministry helper", it gave me "Ministry Profiteer", the second rank label.

So near as I can figure, the Ministry of Finance got the rank labels given to you backwards? Which breaks the progression, or something (It didn't skip straight to giving me cap ship access).

For now, I'm gonna load my save before accepting the rank up. But I hope this isn't a common problem. Particularly as it took me longer to get that rank up for the MIN than near instant rank ups for TEL.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Playing this but getting turned off on the unfinished state of the game made me approach Rebirth with a new perspective.

I originally got X:R on a sale and only played it for a few hours, agreeing with everyone at the time that it was an underwhelming sidestep in the X franchise and ditched it for years.

Coming back now, it's been useful to play with its systems and since the UX is better in comparison to X4 (X:R being a console port...) It's let me get used to some of the fundamentals that X4 runs on, since both games were built on the same engine.

It's still got Egosoft jank all over it, but poking around in a more polished framework where things *generally* work as you expect them to lets me see more clearly what the designers were thinking. Should be useful when I jump back into X4 after a few patches.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Regarding galaxy being safe: It seems that all hostile forces are destroyed within the first few hours. Only pirates and khaak spawn in and in tiny amounts and are quickly wiped out. Xenon produce their ships like other races and are holed up in their fringe systems, having the entrance gates sealed by Tracker mines.

The Xenon system i actually checked out near the paranid area was almost completely empty of them, it had way more paranid military ships than anything else. So as far as i can tell the "threat" factor from them is completely broken it seems?

Also why did they remove station / sector defense missions? I really enjoy the game so far but the long term systems need a few more months in the oven.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

Also why did they remove station / sector defense missions? I really enjoy the game so far but the long term systems need a few more months in the oven.

My only guess would be their desire not to mess with the ships being part of the economy system of the game. It's not a bad goal in an of itself, allowing actual blockades and wars of attrition to happen sounds great, but so far its come at the expense of having a combat focused game. I always liked how in the later X3 games you could forgo trading almost entirely in the early game if you just wanted to be a space mercenary. That doesn't seem like a good option now. All the combat missions I found so far were against single targets and ran the risk of massively pissing off a main faction.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

What are some effective weapon loadouts for Medium class frigates? I finally have enough cash and rep to get a Cerberus from Antigone (because it looks the coolest) and the Shard Batteries were kind of underwhelming.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It’s impressive that they managed to tune the economy and politics to the point that when left running, it ends up being stable. Now it needs some sort of a prompt or event to occasionally break out of that.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Go gently caress with a faction. Start some poo poo with the Hatikvah Free League, they've got some combat ships.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Another weird thing: missiles are currently invincible, cant be targeted and have unlimited range. Unless you flee from a sector they will hunt you the gently caress down.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Look here, Captain Lizard, I’m the owner of this d—- ship and when I tell you to go to the jump gate, you GO TO THE B——- JUMP GATE no diversions. You’ll get us back on course right this minute or by G-d I’ll know the reason why.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Gonna wait on this until it gets fixed and modded, but talking about litcube is there a starter guide on how to play a x3 litcube game anywhere?

I played x3 with some other mod(XMS or something) but it was a long time ago.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
did they get rid of the sedatives with the new patch? rip my money making scheme

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

big dong wanter posted:

did they get rid of the sedatives with the new patch? rip my money making scheme

I've noticed that the medkit resources are certainly a bit harder to come by, not sure in what way they've nerfed it. Fortunately I've got 4 automated miners set up making me 70k each every 10 mins so I'm not too sad about it.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I'm collecting stairgreeters so I get a polite "Hello" whenever I leave my ship.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

haldolium posted:

I'm collecting stairgreeters so I get a polite "Hello" whenever I leave my ship.

What ship is that? Hadn't come across any bird of prey-looking ones.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Naturally Selected posted:

What ship is that? Hadn't come across any bird of prey-looking ones.
If I'm recognizing that right, it's the Elite Vanguard, the ship you start with for the Argon start.

I guess the camera angle implies it has larger wings than it really does?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Yeah its the starter Elite Vanguard

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Chalks posted:

I've noticed that the medkit resources are certainly a bit harder to come by, not sure in what way they've nerfed it. Fortunately I've got 4 automated miners set up making me 70k each every 10 mins so I'm not too sad about it.

I've read that many people have problems with getting miners to work, specifically the selling of the goods part. Would you mind writing how you made it work, if it is fully automated that is?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

As long as the pilot has 1 star, you can set it as default behaviour. They seem to follow the same logic as traders do and just look for highest quantity of demand to sell at. I dunno if anyone has noticed any different, but mine always go back to the same fields they were in/near when you initially sent them off to mine.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
To be honest, automining seems to be one of the few pilot functions that actually works reasonably well, unlike autotrading, exploring etc. However, I have found that if you're actually in the system with the ships doing the automining, then they're more liable to do stupid things like bashing into stations over and over again when trying to dock.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Boron scientist: "Good, you got the ship and the antimatter. Make sure to leave it unmanned. We wouldn't want any casualties in this stage of our research".
Me: "Oh yeah, good idea. No where is the eject order...?"
Boron scientist: "Oh look, we're getting some huge energy readings here"
Me: "gently caress where is it? Eject? Abandon ship? Transfer pilot? Anything?"
Boron scientist: "Oh look, there's something massive coming through!"
*Antimatter explosion*

Sorry, random lizard pilot whose name I never learned. You died for science and because I couldn't be arsed to finish the squad tutorial. :saddowns:

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
got the player hq working but i cant add funds wth

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

I've read that many people have problems with getting miners to work, specifically the selling of the goods part. Would you mind writing how you made it work, if it is fully automated that is?

Humz, I am a complete newbie and I basically just fumbled around and it worked. I remotely bought a medium miner and set its default behaviour to automine silicon. At the time I didn't know if I had to do anything to make it auto sell, but as soon as it fills up it goes off to the nearest station to sell then returns to mining without any further configuration. My pilot has 1 star in automine, what ever effect that has.

The only thing I'd say was of note is that it's mining and selling in the same region of space. I have no idea what would happen if the nearest location to sell was outside of the system. I've noticed there's a partially truncated option in the auto mine settings that says something like "maximum distance to.." but I left it at the default of 0/10. No idea what it does and there's no tooltip to reveal the rest of the option name.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
when i did the singularity mission it deleted my starter ship parked safely at a nearby station instead of the throw away ship i flew into it, probably it became confused as to which ship to destroy because I had purchased the antimatter cells with my starter ship

so i ended up stuck with the lovely throw away ship that I built :v:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

Humz, I am a complete newbie and I basically just fumbled around and it worked. I remotely bought a medium miner and set its default behaviour to automine silicon. At the time I didn't know if I had to do anything to make it auto sell, but as soon as it fills up it goes off to the nearest station to sell then returns to mining without any further configuration. My pilot has 1 star in automine, what ever effect that has.

The only thing I'd say was of note is that it's mining and selling in the same region of space. I have no idea what would happen if the nearest location to sell was outside of the system. I've noticed there's a partially truncated option in the auto mine settings that says something like "maximum distance to.." but I left it at the default of 0/10. No idea what it does and there's no tooltip to reveal the rest of the option name.

Yeah mine works the same way. The only think I can think of is to check to make sure that there is a station buying whatever you are mining covered by a satellite so that the autominer knows to go there to drop stuff off.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Chalks posted:

I can actually help you here, the UI is cut off because it is too large, in the settings there is a "UI Scale" (or something) option where you can scale it down so that it fits your screen.
Usually when I play games on my 4k/High DPI screen I have to scale the UI way up but in this game it is perfect at 1.0 so I assume if you play on a non-4k/non High DPI screen you need to scale it down so it will fit. I have seen many people complain about this specific UI element being cut-off so I assume this is the problem.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Well im now kinda okay with having ordered a Teladi Construction ship to fix up my PHQ, cause all the Argon ones are going on....trips....to a couple of Xenon stations near the Xenon core systems.

Not that the Xenon gently caress with them or anything. They just feel the need to take this detour regularly.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
I bought a large gas miner but it seems like it leaves its drones behind when it moves systems. Anyone else seeing that?

Also, how can I tell which stations refine what mined minerals/gas and if a large or extra large ship can dock at them?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Massive review from someone that has too much time on their hands: https://www.reddit.com/r/X4Foundations/comments/a2wtk4/50_hours_in_gameplay_review/

The economy problem seems like it has a simple solution at least - make finished goods disappear from trading stations/wharfs/shipyards/equipment docks over time. That and having an "off map" xenon economy doing period injections of materials for its shipyards would probably do wonders. Is that easily modable?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Wars tend to be around resources; I think limiting resource availability and forcing factions to struggle over them in conflict areas would be cool for the game. Dunno how feasible it would be.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Xenon and Khaak need to just do their fancy trick like in the past and just magic into existence at their stations. It seems like at least the Xenon do magic resources and build from them, except they have a build queue that is 1: Mines, 2: More mines, 3: I still see a gate there, more mines. If they'd do some fleets and raids, that alone would help at least marginally for them to kill a ship or two here or there to boost economy.

I've seen some scattered postings about people saying they've seen factional wars going on, though my guess is that's purely on accident given the rarity of those claims. Trying to stop a "criminal" while player is in system, and the super accurate shooting algorithm accidentally manages to score a hit...on the wrong target, and things escalate from there.

Otherwise, the only way I can think of to stimulate the economy is to wipe out a couple factions except for their ship/equipment stations so they need to import everything to keep rebuilding their fleets (I assume they have limitless wallets to keep buying things?)

xanif posted:

Also, how can I tell which stations refine what mined minerals/gas and if a large or extra large ship can dock at them?

Keep a list of the station names, I guess. Hopefully they'll get the encyclopedia like X3 was where you could just pull up an item and it would poo poo out "We've seen this bought and sold at these stations"

For docking, look for the funky long arm pieces, those are big ship docking ports. There is no way to tell this remotely, except maybe by zooming in on the map to look at the wire diagram maybe?

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 4, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It’d be a tough balancing act because wars are also FUNDED by resources, so you need them to be scarce enough that they’re worth fighting over but not so scarce that nobody can actually build a significant military force.

I understand why they went with the simplified “parts” model for ship construction but I feel like there’s still room in the game for more specialized goods. Maybe they could make it so that all the generic parts can build mid-tier equipment but the absolute top end stuff requires specialized construction and lots of esoteric components (like maybe the currently-unused nividium?). They could then make those materials only show up in a few systems so you’d have a lot of fighting over these key resources but the overall economy would still chug along on generic goods if nobody can secure the special stuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Massive review from someone that has too much time on their hands: https://www.reddit.com/r/X4Foundations/comments/a2wtk4/50_hours_in_gameplay_review/

The economy problem seems like it has a simple solution at least - make finished goods disappear from trading stations/wharfs/shipyards/equipment docks over time. That and having an "off map" xenon economy doing period injections of materials for its shipyards would probably do wonders. Is that easily modable?

I disagree with the conclusions but have observed some of the same points yes. I think the economy is becoming kind of flooded with goods because there doesn't appear to be any end stage consumption. Adding some kind of resource sink would be preferred. I think this is already how food works, your station crews consume food and medical supplies over time regardless of whether you're producing anything, so adding more things like this would definitely help.

Also noticed that the universe is very static and peaceful. If people went to war more perhaps it could be more interesting? It seems like this should be very doable with some high level tweaks to faction AI.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It seems like most stations have a 3 pier module for large ships.

Did anyone do modding with rebirth? Is it easy to run a script or something to inject or remove resources or look at the xenon's build priorities/stockpiles?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

It seems like most stations have a 3 pier module for large ships.

Did anyone do modding with rebirth? Is it easy to run a script or something to inject or remove resources or look at the xenon's build priorities/stockpiles?

I mean rebirth has some really quite big mods for it so I would imagine so.

That's the other thing too now you mention it. The piers seem totally useless. My freighters never buy or sell more than a handful of units, I don't think I've ever seen the big piers used.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Drunk in Space posted:

Yeah I've decided to shelve the game for now mostly for this reason, and due to all the other unfinished or barely implemented stuff in the game.

It has however given me the impetus to reinstall AP and finally check out this Litcube mod that everyone raves about.

Same - this game is making me miss X3 more than anything. I wonder how the graphics have aged - I imagine not well.

X games to me have always been about setting some goal and working towards it - but to me the goal was building some income foundation that allowed me to amass a "gently caress you" sized fleet - but in X4 that just seems pointless with the turrets on larger ships totally useless. My M sized ships are getting owned by the cheapest S class. It's just stupid.

My miners make 30m overnight so I could start building a bunch of M ships - but I can't think of a reason to bother.

I miss X3 and the bullshit of going into a system, getting engaged by some hostiles and then having my capital carrier jump in to the system and wreck everything. Here even if I call in my M ships to come help in a fight, not only will it likely be over by the time I get there, but worse yet they'll just be a liability.

Ship variety is also really lacking and they all feel extremely samey. With the weapons not fed from the ship reactor, there seems to be zero reason not to fly the fastest travel ships with the most guns you can fit. In short, I can't think of any reason to fly anything but Paranid ships. Why fly anything slower?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

X3 was also pretty broken at launch some people go as far as saying the expansion made it playable.

My plan is to fart around blow poo poo up and not care. Then start a new game when things are more balanced or there's a mod worth looking at.

I have confidence that given this base that the game will turn out great. The core is really solid, and most of the issues aren't design choices, well other than the UI but I have zero expectations of the UI improving.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looks like the guy who made a big war overhaul for rebirth is working on a similar thing for Foundations by tweaking priorities and poo poo:

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=403357

pixaal posted:

X3 was also pretty broken at launch some people go as far as saying the expansion made it playable.

My plan is to fart around blow poo poo up and not care. Then start a new game when things are more balanced or there's a mod worth looking at.

I have confidence that given this base that the game will turn out great. The core is really solid, and most of the issues aren't design choices, well other than the UI but I have zero expectations of the UI improving.

Kinda the same but it's really weird hearing people dislike the UI, the UI is probably the best part of the game? Seriously the full strategic map is incredibly powerful and pleasing to use compared to literally anything else in a prior X game.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pixaal posted:

The problem is that the people whose poo poo you blow up are part of the economic simulation. That means if you go through xenon space and kill all their miners/haulers during a raid congratulations you just won the game - the xenon can't recover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I'm tempted to reinstall Rebirth now and see how far it's come along...although riding about the Albion Skunk makes me resistant to that idea.

EDIT: I mean, is it me, or comparatively does Foundations look a bit outdated and not nearly as interesting compared to Rebirth?