Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Elderbean posted:

Yeah! I like going out on my porch when the weather is nice.

Hopefully you don't mean going out on your porch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Thanks guys, if the purple chests don't have anything significant, then I think I'll go with Tressa.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Argue posted:

Thanks guys, if the purple chests don't have anything significant, then I think I'll go with Tressa.

Congrats on getting more than you bargained for!

Protip: Get Hired Help as soon as possible and throw money at all of your problems :homebrew:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Trasson posted:

Unless they went and pulled it for some reason, the best way to figure out if Octopath is worth your time is to play the demo. It never really tries to be more than it presents itself to be at the starts, which can be really bad for people who are used to, say, starting off as a mercenary ecoterrorist and later contending with a mind altering malevolent alien.

It's really good for everyone who wasn't a fan of Bravely Default's story and gameplay swerves.

Yea, I played a bit after work and I don't think it's for me. I like the style a lot and I believe the combat has potential, but the story/setting doesn't really have a hook which I need in a jrpg. It's just kinda generic fantasy from what I can tell. I played the hunter and while I was okay with the fake old English it just felt flat

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 4, 2018

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Weedle posted:

Skyrim is a better game than XBC2 don’t @ me

Maybe. But not on the Switch. I don't know how anyone can play garbage fire Bethesda games on consoles where you can't fix their fuckups.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've only played a small amount of OPT at a friend's house but I started with the priestess and she seems pretty good. I like healers :nyoron:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I didn't like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 because I don't like the trend of the last ten years of RPGs that want to have exciting combat! that requires button combos! and good timing! and proper positioning! I want to zone out for my RPGs not play Devil May Cryonetta.

Edit: they need to port Skies of Arcadia to this thing.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 4, 2018

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

H'aanit / Hunter isn't as bad to me as it does to everyone else. I don't bother with her pokemoning but anything with a bow weakness gets wrecked by the hunter class. Middling damage is ok with the ability to wail on weaknesses.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 4, 2018

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

LethalGeek posted:

H'aanit / Hunter isn't as bad to me as it does to everyone else. I don't bother with her pokemoning but anything with a bow weakness gets wrecked by the hunter class. Middling damage but the ability to wail on weaknesses is great.

Hunter class itself is pretty solid, it has one of the best skills in the game and the bow stuff is all useful. H'aanit herself is just pretty bad since her gimmick sucks and her path action is tedious at best, and directly inferior to Olberic at worst.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Switch is great. It's a great travel companion (if only Netflix would pop in already ugh), it has Pokémon and Diablo and Mario and Zelda! I'm real happy with my Switch!

I severely regret my PS4 though. Those load times are atrocious, especially when you just sit there for 2 minutes waiting for a black screen. PC and Switch master combo.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

jokes posted:

The Switch is great. It's a great travel companion (if only Netflix would pop in already ugh), it has Pokémon and Diablo and Mario and Zelda! I'm real happy with my Switch!

I severely regret my PS4 though. Those load times are atrocious, especially when you just sit there for 2 minutes waiting for a black screen. PC and Switch master combo.

I love my ps4. I have to say that unrelated to that one of the things I love about the Switch is that I finally have a handheld where I can play indie games that generally feel like just as good versions. On Vita a lot of indie games I ended up just playing on PS4 because of frame rate differences and such. I'm sure Switch has exceptions to what I'm saying here but it's nice feeling like I can just play Isaac or Necrodancer or Gungeon and feel like I'm still having a great experience overall.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

jokes posted:

I don’t play my PS4 as much anymore but I still think it’s been a great platform. I bought an OG TLoU bundle and the exclusives have been really good. In comparison I got rid of the gaming PC when we moved. Guess I’m about that PS4 Switch life.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

jokes posted:

Yea they did a community vote and people didn't want Netflix or Amazon streaming, so maybe next console system

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I thought Tressa and Alfyn best embodied the earnest "go see the world" spirit that was Octopath at its best and was glad I picked Tressa as my main; I'm not minmaxing or anything but once you get the last of her Merchant support skills and subclass her with Scholar you've got four elements (with the Scholar skills that hit everyone twice!) and three weapons at your disposal with half MP cost; equipping her for elemental attack she hits so goddamn hard.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Playing Starcrawlers right now and I keep thinking how much more enjoyable it would be on the Switch. I want more dungeon crawlers.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’ve started picking up Bayo2 again because I realized that I never finished it. Between this and my first time in Dark Souls, with smash and katamari on the horizon, I am a pig in poo poo. A total Switch Bitch.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
If/when I ever get Octopath I'm picking Haanit! Cause I liked her in the demo! Take that Switch thread

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Big thanks to Neddy Seagoon & Infinitium for posting the australian deals whenever they pop up :australia:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I liked Cyrus myself. His is not the most necessary skill, finding one weakness out every fight resulting in discovering them all with every battle, but it sure as hell is super convenient. Once I could take him out I missed the ease of knowing weak points.

That and scholar wrecks all trash enemies.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Knorth posted:

If/when I ever get Octopath I'm picking Haanit! Cause I liked her in the demo! Take that Switch thread

No

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Knorth posted:

I don'teth agreen withen thine choicen but tis yours to maken

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I started with Haanit and it went pretty well. She's pretty useful midgame due to a bunch of captures striking multiple times without needing to brave and they do very solid damage as well. They probably completely fall off in usefulness not too long afterwards but I got bored and stopped playing before getting that far so in my mind Haanit is pretty cool and my friend!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

jokes posted:

Switch/PS4 Pro/n3DS/RetroPie mastercombo imo

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
This Flip Grip thing is cool.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

I didn't like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 because I don't like the trend of the last ten years of RPGs that want to have exciting combat! that requires button combos! and good timing! and proper positioning! I want to zone out for my RPGs not play Devil May Cryonetta.

You can at least turn off the QTE bits now.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

How’s it feel weight distribution-wise? I kinda want that thing but it looks awkward to hold.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

What game is that?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I liked Cyrus myself. His is not the most necessary skill, finding one weakness out every fight resulting in discovering them all with every battle, but it sure as hell is super convenient. Once I could take him out I missed the ease of knowing weak points.

That and scholar wrecks all trash enemies.

Also, finding out the backstories of every single npc is like the best part of the game.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Finally managed to get my Diablo 3 Barb through the season. What the easiest way to get another character up to 70? Put on Leorics Crown with a big rear end ruby and grind my way up?
I don't really want to interact with other people or grind up rifts till a gem of ease drops and then grind that up to lvl 25.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Haanit is pretty cool and my friend!

:yeah:

You get over the voice pattern quickly, and she's fun to play with. Pets become pretty useless and tedious to catch later on, but she's always useful for Leghold Trap (the best debuff in the game) and breaking poo poo with arrow storm. Plus she makes a great warmaster because of her high attack and crit chance.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tender Bender posted:

Yea, I played a bit after work and I don't think it's for me. I like the style a lot and I believe the combat has potential, but the story/setting doesn't really have a hook which I need in a jrpg. It's just kinda generic fantasy from what I can tell. I played the hunter and while I was okay with the fake old English it just felt flat

The old English only really happens with H'aanit and her village, everyone else speaks normally. But yeah, it's eight individual stories with nothing really revolutionary, so if you want a strong narrative hook in a JRPG then Octopath won't be it for you.

But man, I'm still surprised how much I fell in love with Octopath. It hits all the right buttons for me with some incredible world-building and some fun characters. It reminds me of Legend of Mana except the gameplay is actually fun. I like the unconventional story structure, and most of the game's choices don't really bother me as much as they probably should. Fix the character skits so they aren't so easily missable, add a save point between the boss gauntlet and the final boss, and add the random encounter sliders from Bravely Default, and for me personally this would be the perfect game on the perfect console. Possible Top 5 all-time game for me.

e: For context, I'm the type of person who regularly replays old Final Fantasy games with weird challenge runs or whatever else and really dug Romancing SaGa 2 when it first the Switch, and my all-time favorite game was Legend of Mana purely for the world-building, presentation, and crazy characters, and that had no overarching story either. A lack of a central narrative is no issue for me at all, but definitely understand why others would be turned off by Octopath if they preferred games like FF7 or on where the narratives were much stronger.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 4, 2018

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I too felt the pull of Purple Chests, and it was tough for me to not start as Therion. I went with Alfys instead, which turned out great because he starts right next to Theriontown so you can pick him up within the first hour or two. Start as Mohawk Axe Doctor, have your cake and eat it too!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Haanit's path action is bizarre because all it does is let you fight overleveled townspeople that Olberic won't. But it's not actually easier to do her fights (I think it's honestly harder) so you're probably gonna lose and then get penalized.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Switch needs River City Ransom: Underground. :colbert:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

Octopath owns. I liked bravely default but lack the :spergin: to parse the 1000 jobs in there to break the game.

For me. Octopath was the right amount of complexity to have fun building cool party combos.

It does have problems, pokemon is terrible by end game, and the end game in general requires a huge time investment beyond seeing the credits. And since that's the only place you have to really use every job...missed opportunity.

I will day 1 a sequel and think it's a great oldschool jrpg of you like those, with cool modern sensibilities. If not 100% successful and getting rid of some malarkey.

I will 100% buy Octopath once it goes on sale, I loved the BD games. I played the 3 hour demo and I really liked the combat and especially the music, although the area design and story/VA was not the greatest. Actually I wished they kept some of that insane complexity in but I'm sure there will be another game to use it, and BD never had jobs affect the overworld.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 went on sale for $30 the other day and that came out later than Octopath, I was very surprised to see it stubbornly sitting at $60. I will start it eventually (Probably at the end of december)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Haven't gotten my Switch yet, but I was curious; how many games on the eShop have demos?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Haven't gotten my Switch yet, but I was curious; how many games on the eShop have demos?

A surprisingly large amount

https://www.nintendo.com/games/nintendo-switch-games-with-demos

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh wow, didn't think I'd be able to find that online, outside of browsing via the actual Switch. Thanks!

I wonder if my 4 year old will get a kick out of any of these. He's still rocking the free version of Super Mario Run :smug:

Hey, speaking of young kids playing Switch, I want to get Breath of the Wild soonish and obviously I know that there are likely very scary parts in it, but overall, how much of it is terrifying enemies and demons and whatnot, and how much is just 'run around and play, maybe hit a guy or six'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Imagined posted:

Edit: they need to port Skies of Arcadia to this thing.

Just FYI you can turn off the button timings in the settings. There's even an autobattle option so you can be as lazy as you want.