Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I've already got 2 trips to Utah and 2 to Mammoth planned, and I'm hoping to get to Tahoe atleast twice this year too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ola posted:

I was a bit surprised there were that many, so I figured there would be quite a few of them from the earlier years. But no, looks like the earliest starting career (not sure if she was the first to get all five) was Pernilla Wiberg. One from the earlier years, Moser-Pröll had all four before Super-G. And now Shiffrin has all six, after parallel slalom!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIS_Alpine_Ski_World_Cup#Most_successful_race_winners
The one who did it first, Petra Kronberger, was actually a wunderkind like Shiffrin, won two Olympic gold medals, world champs, and then retired at 23 because she couldn't take the pressure: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petra_Kronberger

Disinterested posted:

Most really good racer kids train all events to some degree, and when you come on to the circuit young you're normally smaller and more agile. Lindsey Vonn has 2 Slalom wins.
The thing is though, in North America we basically all start off in tech, whereas in Europe they split them into tech/speed at a much younger age simply because the Austrians have 8 trillion athletes to choose from whereas in Canada we have like 5. So almost all the North American athletes start off in tech then branch off into speed, which gives them a bigger advantage, since the Europeans tend to choose a side and stick with it a lot earlier. There's a reason that 6 of the 7 come from North America, or the smaller European countries (Slovenia, Croatia, Sweden). They're the ones who have the greater flexibility to move around within a team.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

fknlo posted:

Uh, yeah. The brighter the better.

Dangerllama posted:

I unironically wear bright colored shells because it helps with visibility in the backcountry.
this, but mostly so my friends can find me in crowded lodges and lift lines

Mammoth was lovely this weekend, unusually cold and the second wave storm was soooooo light and dry. It's been awhile since Mammoth had a solid early season base like this.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
ski racing is the weirdest sport

tbh there should just be a challenge like "ski the hornbein" and anyone who does it is #1 until the next person does something better

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Mid mountain bars are the best

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Got in a bunch of runs at Steamboat in but they closed the Gondola early and deprived me of one more. :mad:

I only wiped out once!

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
anyone been to whitefish or the vicinity this year?

I’ve heard it’s not great yet.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Moot . posted:

Mid mountain bars are the best

That is cooler than any bar I have ever been to.

Where at?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm in Australia on business and my payment to sneak in an Epic 4 day got rejected. They don't have an email customer service line, just a phone number to call and won't be back until next week. Are they pretty "you missed the deadline, we contractually can't sell anymore, suck it" or is there a chance I can get one?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

movax posted:

I'm in Australia on business and my payment to sneak in an Epic 4 day got rejected. They don't have an email customer service line, just a phone number to call and won't be back until next week. Are they pretty "you missed the deadline, we contractually can't sell anymore, suck it" or is there a chance I can get one?

lol Vail doing anything to benefit the consumer

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ante posted:

lol Vail doing anything to benefit the consumer

touché

I'm a skiing noob and my current question is wondering how normal people afford to do this all the time. Everything seems obnoxiously expensive.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

movax posted:

touché

I'm a skiing noob and my current question is wondering how normal people afford to do this all the time. Everything seems obnoxiously expensive.

The way people with a median or lower salary afford skiing is either by skiing somewhere relatively inexpensive (say, A-Basin), bending all their savings dollars towards it, or by working for a mountain.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Day 2 of steamboat: my legs are cut to poo poo because the condo clubhouse locked us out when we were in the hot tub. Luckily we were able to go back to the condo via the garage and get a spare keycard to get our stuff from inside the clubhouse. This of course meant running through waist deep snow only in a bathing suit when it was 10F. I’m guessing the ice crystals in the snow cut up my legs because the cuts are all superficial but everywhere. Ski boots should be fun. RIP.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

movax posted:

touché

I think it was also easier for normal people before a few companies started buying up all the ski resorts, but I could be wrong.

Right now though, if you're going to do more than 5 days of skiing in a year, you're probably better off getting a full Epic or Ikon pass rather than buying individual tickets. I don't know how that compares to the past, but maybe one of the more experienced posters can shed some light on it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

movax posted:

touché

the industry has made a conscious turn towards the more affluent over the past 20 or so years, reflecting the broader hollowing out of the economy

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

bawfuls posted:

the industry has made a conscious turn towards the more affluent over the past 20 or so years, reflecting the broader hollowing out of the economy

well I mean what does 5 days of skiing in CO or utah cost a family of four coming from the NE? It's not cheap

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Disinterested posted:

The way people with a median or lower salary afford skiing is either by skiing somewhere relatively inexpensive (say, A-Basin), bending all their savings dollars towards it, or by working for a mountain.

or by living in the midwest and skiing manmade snow on tiny hills with a billion other people bussed in from the nearest population center

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Landsknecht posted:

well I mean what does 5 days of skiing in CO or utah cost a family of four coming from the NE? It's not cheap
exactly, which is why they are aiming for families that make probably $200k+ in that scenario

affordable skiing for working class people used to be more accessible when there were more small local ski areas and the big ones were all independent

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Landsknecht posted:

I mean just ballparking it and assuming the kids aren't older teenagers but somewhere in the 7-11 range, I'm guessing the lift tickets would run between 1500-2000, plus at least 500 bucks for round trip airfare and then probably around 600-800 or so for the hotel/lodging. So you already looking at north of 3k.

And then you've got the other stuff like car and equipment rentals, as well food and drink. So all told, I'm guessing a family of 4 would be looking somewhere between 4-5k for a 5 day ski trip.

Edit - my airfare is probably way off, but I live in Chicago and only fly Southwest and generally pay ~100 bucks for round trip to Denver. But I usually fly super early/late.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 4, 2018

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Kids???

In this economy??

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

This is some of the dumbest ski related poo poo I've ever seen; https://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/a23610274/courchevel-ski-restaurant-bars/

quote:

Image (left): 3 Moncler Grenoble Telluride Jacket, $2,275; Turtleneck Sweater, $820; Salopette, price upon request; all available at moncler.com

Image (above): 3 Moncler Grenoble Gelt Jacket, $1,290; Telluride Jacket, $2,275; Turtleneck Sweater, $820; Salopette, price upon request; all available at moncler.com

I read that and I turned into a hypercommunist

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

LostCosmonaut posted:

This is some of the dumbest ski related poo poo I've ever seen; https://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/a23610274/courchevel-ski-restaurant-bars/

These pricks practically beggin for a face full of snow spray.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

kiimo posted:

These pricks practically beggin for a face full of snow spray.

2 sets of skis and nobody is wearing ski boots.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

LostCosmonaut posted:

it's never good skiers wearing that poo poo

see someone wearing one of these though and you'll be impressed:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

TMMadman posted:

2 sets of skis and nobody is wearing ski boots.

I've never seen skis with less water on them that were out of the plastic.

edit: or on the soles of their feet what wizardry is this

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

This is how models who have never skied a day in their lives carry their skis

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

30 runs in today at Steamboat. Great skiing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ironlung posted:

This is how models who have never skied a day in their lives carry their skis

I see people carrying their skis like this at LEAST ten times a day.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I was about to say, one of a beater's greatest sources of consternation is how to transport skis

To wit: https://www.aspentimes.com/news/old-snowmass-carbondale-entrepreneurs-pitch-ski-related-device-on-abcs-shark-tank/

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Eejit posted:

I was about to say, one of a beater's greatest sources of consternation is how to transport skis

To wit: https://www.aspentimes.com/news/old-snowmass-carbondale-entrepreneurs-pitch-ski-related-device-on-abcs-shark-tank/

jerry gets wheels

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

Eejit posted:

"Further, before aspiring entrepreneurs even reach the sharks, they must endure meetings with 10 executive producers and attorneys."

Allen said "Shark Tank" producers told him that Ski-Z's five-month turnaround time from audition to air was "one of the fastest" they had seen.

So basically - on the show's books, the gauntlet here costs far more in labor than these people ultimately received in investment. Normal business, TV is almost as normal as skiing, very normal, very cool

Anyway models suck, Europe sucks, everything sucks, there's no snow in the PNW yet but I will cop to basically always carrying my skis with my shoulder between the toe and heel pieces, because poo poo balances nicely like that and there's less to swing behind me, and gently caress it, it's been too long since I've carried like a dipshit, where the gently caress is my season god dammit. I miss carrying skis and that is a hosed up thing to miss

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

After running intervals, I xc ski'd one lap of the local athletics track. About 1/2" of snow/light hail. Good pole bite in the tartan track. Yeah I'm getting pretty desperate.

https://twitter.com/OlaMarvin/status/1070041287670329345

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Kids???

In this economy??

Speaking of kids our is due in May, so I decided to do one final Jackson Hole trip January 6-12 with two friends. If it's disappointing lack of snow like it has been three times before I will regret it the rest of my life. If it's amazing snow like it's been three times before, I'll consider myself a winner for ending on a 4:3 powder to crap ratio and will change as many poopy diapers as I have to, clinging to memories of fresh pow turns.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I never even thought about which way my skis point when I carry them. Apparently carrying them tips-up is some major faux pas? I loop my poles over one tip and hold onto them all at the bottom and it handles and balances fine. :shrug:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

What

You carry your skis with the ski poles looped below and above the bindings, like the handle to a briefcase. It's the only cool way

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I drew you a picture.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Is that a penis?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Your tips are forward of you and the bindings are behind your head. The only way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Your tips are forward of you and the bindings are behind your head. The only way

does not parse