Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
I’ve had a Best Buy Card for years now and I’ve never had an issue using the financing offers, even multiple at a time. Granted, I pay them off well before the allocated time period, but if you aren’t stupid it should be just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Thanks a lot guys, sorry for the derail!

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
So I just remembered I have a family member who is a military veteran, so I can get a lot of electronics and other things without having to pay sales tax.

I'm going to check out what the marine base has in selection later today.

For now, here's what the military exchange site lists for TVs: https://www.shopmyexchange.com/s/electronics/tvs/_/N-452883537?Ns=product.sale%7C1

Sadly they don't list the prices for TVs online (probably to deter people from reselling them at a profit) so I'll have to find out for myself later what the deals are. But I'll keep an eye out for anything that looks promising.

Let me know what of the stuff they listed on their site that I should find out the price for especially. I'm after a midrange to budget 4k tv for my home office, with good response time for gaming. (Was previously considering a 43 inch TCL 5-series.)

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 4, 2018

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

In general you probably shouldn't go into debt for consumer electronics.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

^^^
Seconding that. Pay up-front as much as possible - often on a good sale or deal if you can help it.

I'd also never run up debt on entertainment electronics. The only things I would ever consider running up debt over would be electronics (or software) I would be using for freelance work that I need to acquire immediately - I did that for some hardware I needed years ago. And even then I try to pay it off in a lump sum ASAP.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I bought a 55in Sony x900F a few weeks back to use with my PS4 and I'm honestly not super happy with it. Turning on HDR just seems to wash everything out, and I can't find any settings or adjustments online that really makes my games stand out compared to the older 1080p computer monitor I was using before. Any recommendations? I was thinking of returning the set to Amazon and trying out a Samsung TV -- any advice?

I know having a regular PS4 isn't going to really take advantage of the 4k capability but I was at least hoping HDR would look well.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

For reference, I was thinking of returning my x900f and getting this since I had heard so many great things about the Samsung models last year:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BKK4NTS/ref=twister_B07KF96R95?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Am I just being crazy?

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 4, 2018

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah definitely. Thats insane. Get a PC if you dont want your games to look like Sega Saturn

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

How many times does it have to be said in this this, the Samsung QLED TVs are a joke and no better than any other LED TV. Their QLED stuff is marketing BS.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Have someone put it in the thread title. Not joking.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Okay okay okay

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

Have someone put it in the thread title. Not joking.

Agreed, the OP is way outdated so I'm sure no one even reads that anymore :(

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

OP was created six years ago this month. How about a new HDTV Megathread for 2019 starting on New Year's Day?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

How much were 55" OLEDs at the time of the OP, I wonder?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think around $14k

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

omg chael crash posted:

I bought a 55in Sony x900F a few weeks back to use with my PS4 and I'm honestly not super happy with it. Turning on HDR just seems to wash everything out, and I can't find any settings or adjustments online that really makes my games stand out compared to the older 1080p computer monitor I was using before. Any recommendations? I was thinking of returning the set to Amazon and trying out a Samsung TV -- any advice?

I know having a regular PS4 isn't going to really take advantage of the 4k capability but I was at least hoping HDR would look well.

A regular PS4 doesn't do HDR, so I would expect it to look like garbage if you're trying to force HDR with it. Get a PS4 Pro.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Truman Sticks posted:

A regular PS4 doesn't do HDR, so I would expect it to look like garbage if you're trying to force HDR with it. Get a PS4 Pro.

Base PS4 didn't do HDR, but it can now. It was added in a patch in 2016.

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 4, 2018

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

OP was created six years ago this month. How about a new HDTV Megathread for 2019 starting on New Year's Day?

go for it, chief

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

beep by grandpa posted:

Base PS4 didn't do PS4, but it can now. It was added in a patch in 2016.
Early adopters really get shafted, huh?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

lol :pwn:

VVVV his quote very closely

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 4, 2018

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

pwn posted:

Early adopters really get shafted, huh?

High Dynamic Range (HDR)
When we announced PS4 Pro and the new slimmer PS4 last week, we also announced that all PlayStation 4 systems — back to the very first console sold in 2013 — would be HDR capable. After updating your system to version 4.00, you’ll see HDR settings in the Video Output Settings and be ready to enjoy HDR gaming and entertainment content once it’s available on any PS4 system you own. Of course, you’ll need an HDR compatible display as well.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I think he was making a joke about the typo.

Beep by grandpa's post says "Base PS4 didn't do PS4." instead of "Base PS4 didn't do HDR."

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Trying to upgrade Mom's old 37" Samsung for Christmas, and stuck waffling between the TCL 55S517 and 55R617. As I understand it, the only difference is that one has Contrast Control Zones and costs $180 more. She mainly watches cooking shows, Jeopardy, very few movies, no sports and won't be gaming. She'll never use any of the Smart stuff and barely knows how to operate the Play/Pause features she's had with FiOS for the past 5 years. Are Contrast Control Zones worth $180?

Any other 55"s that are cheaper but still look good?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Otacon posted:

Trying to upgrade Mom's old 37" Samsung for Christmas, and stuck waffling between the TCL 55S517 and 55R617. As I understand it, the only difference is that one has Contrast Control Zones and costs $180 more. She mainly watches cooking shows, Jeopardy, very few movies, no sports and won't be gaming. She'll never use any of the Smart stuff and barely knows how to operate the Play/Pause features she's had with FiOS for the past 5 years. Are Contrast Control Zones worth $180?

My mom would be happier with a 180$ worth of movie rentals over a quality difference she'll never notice.

But I routinely had to explain SD channels vs HD channels to my mom, so I feel confident she isn't going to notice backlight bleed or inconsistent black levels.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Otacon posted:

On the one hand, no that’s REALLY not the only difference. The 6 series has much better HDR brightness and motion handling. While the 5’s color gamut is good, it really doesn’t have the peak brightness necessary to produce good HDR picture. Here’s the Rtings reviews comparison.

On the other hand, that doesn’t seem like it will matter to your mom, so yeah you might as well save the money.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The 6 series TCL finally went back down in price so the gf scored one for her folks. The voice control will come in very handy for them.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

GreenNight posted:

The 6 series TCL finally went back down in price so the gf scored one for her folks. The voice control will come in very handy for them.

Nice. What is it going for and where?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

629 on amazon. Same price on Walmart.com and you get 10% back on ebates from Walmart.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GreenNight posted:

629 on amazon. Same price on Walmart.com and you get 10% back on ebates from Walmart.

It's actually 5% on electronics which is still pretty awesome considering most electronics always fall in the 1% category.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/4/18126306/tom-cruise-psa-motion-smoothing-christopher-mcquarrie

https://twitter.com/franklez/status/1070124688595017730

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer

Jan posted:

drat, you had my hopes going for a moment. That only hides the cursor temporarily.

:negative:

First thing I tried when I got mine was press all the buttons to see how to get rid of the cursor. I found that the weird one with the white square makes it disappear.

I have no idea what it's actually for, so it's my designated "gently caress off, cursor" button.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The one next to 0? Brings up an on screen controls list such as screen capture. Can be useful.

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer
Oh dear, it's actually a zero, not a square... Regardless, that's the one that gets rid of it on my setup. Give it a try.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Scientologist Tom Cruise besmirching the great name of the soap opera effect? I've never seen better proof of its undeniable greatness.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Avicus posted:

First thing I tried when I got mine was press all the buttons to see how to get rid of the cursor. I found that the weird one with the white square makes it disappear.

I have no idea what it's actually for, so it's my designated "gently caress off, cursor" button.

The arrows are enough to make it disappear, albeit temporarily.

After some use, though, I've started accepting the point and click. I initially had a kneejerk hatred reaction because the first version of this in earlier LG TVs was both oversensitive and imprecise, but as someone had mentioned, it's not as bad now. I still never use it other than for word input and I'd be perfectly okay disabling it altogether, but eh. :shrug:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I'm about to pull the trigger on getting either a 4-series or 5-series TCL. I just checked yesterday and best buy has virtually all the ones I'm interested in in stock.

Should I go with the 4 series or 5 series. 4-series is tempting because of the low price. I'm mainly going to using it with games consoles (ps4 pro and ) rather than regular TV and so my biggest concern is input lag rather than image quality. (I ruled out 6 series because $600 is outside of my budget plus 55 inch is overkill for my small space.)

Edit: Speaking of low input lag tvs - any particularly good ones on this list? https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag

Also I am looking to get 43 inch definitely.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 6, 2018

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

FunOne posted:

My mom would be happier with a 180$ worth of movie rentals over a quality difference she'll never notice.

But I routinely had to explain SD channels vs HD channels to my mom, so I feel confident she isn't going to notice backlight bleed or inconsistent black levels.

runchild posted:

On the one hand, no that’s REALLY not the only difference. The 6 series has much better HDR brightness and motion handling. While the 5’s color gamut is good, it really doesn’t have the peak brightness necessary to produce good HDR picture. Here’s the Rtings reviews comparison.

On the other hand, that doesn’t seem like it will matter to your mom, so yeah you might as well save the money.

Thank you both, pulled the trigger on the 55S515 from BestBuy for $430

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Otacon posted:

Thank you both, pulled the trigger on the 55S515 from BestBuy for $430

I'm looking at the 43 inch version which is going for 320 apparently. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-43-class-led-5-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6202780.p?skuId=6202780

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I got the TCL Series 6 65R615 at BB last weekend. It was dead. Powered up, got a back light, no image. Returned it, got the same model at a different BB and it works fine. Really surprised it supports both HDR and Dolby Vision. Picture is insanely great. Coming from a 47inch LG from 2010, this is one hell of an upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Spacedad posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on getting either a 4-series or 5-series TCL. I just checked yesterday and best buy has virtually all the ones I'm interested in in stock.

Should I go with the 4 series or 5 series. 4-series is tempting because of the low price. I'm mainly going to using it with games consoles (ps4 pro and ) rather than regular TV and so my biggest concern is input lag rather than image quality. (I ruled out 6 series because $600 is outside of my budget plus 55 inch is overkill for my small space.)

Edit: Speaking of low input lag tvs - any particularly good ones on this list? https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag

Also I am looking to get 43 inch definitely.

My understanding is that the 4-series is the best-in-class value for low budget gaming TVs. In fact I think the 4-series has better input lag results in game mode. 5 has better contrast, and I think it can handle "real" HDR.

I got the 55" 4-series and am pretty happy with it. Might be worth noting that I had to return the first one I got because it had lint behind the screen.