Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

TerminalSaint posted:

Atlantic Rim fell a bit flat for me. I think MST3K is better when the movies are earnest attempts at filmmaking that failed.

That's a good take. Manos and my new fav the day time ended seemed like someone writing it was either swinging and missing or it was just like the concepts song. I like to think The Day Time Ended's writer sits on a barstool annoying people with how it should have been, even to this day. For what its worth, no matter how poo poo a movie, there is a tremendous amount of work put into them. I can't believe someone put so much loving effort into Atlantic Rim. Camera work was pretty spot on, so was lighting, it felt like a blooper reel. Sucks that the closest they made it to a movie was an arc to make it so they didn't say "go red, go blue, go black guy". Was quite the investment in the establishment of a nickname for our black guy you can't make fun of. It felt like that was the part they tried hardest in.

The lol, thats cool bro you hosed my gf bro part was funny. Shes right there, bro!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder why the Gumbys never had more children.

Mr. Gumby was too soft?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Day Time Ended is primarily an amateur special effects showcase. Like I'm convinced it was built around them having guys who could do stop motion and some light show stuff and spaceships flying around, etc. In the same vein as Equinox or Return of the Aliens' Deadly Spawn (or whatever that movie's title is), just way less coherent.

Atlantic Rim features what may be my favorite obscure reference riff of the whole season:

"Soon the whole world will know about Project Armada!"
"Featuring Herman Menderchuk!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAbWKMas1yI

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

the lead in lords of the deep has some serious resting sad face. i do too and can sympathize, but man does it throw off her acting

She looks sad, but like in a grimacing from pain kind of way. If you told me she acted the whole film with a broken leg I wouldn't be surprised.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Uh guys every time I see a trailer for Aquaman my brain goes 'Akwaymun' and how he swims like a moron.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Unkempt posted:

Uh guys every time I see a trailer for Aquaman my brain goes 'Akwaymun' and how he swims like a moron.

I don't think Willem Defoe is funky enough.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I do like the idea of Jason Momoa swimming at close to a roughly 45-degree angle while vaguely flailing his limbs.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dawgstar posted:

I do like the idea of Jason Momoa swimming at close to a roughly 45-degree angle while vaguely flailing his limbs.

Aqua man, he swims like a moron

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I had never seen Mac and Me before.

I’m 20 minutes in and this is loving nuts.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It’s like a movie made by people who’ve seen five movies in their entire lifetime

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The clip Paul Rudd always uses on Conan is pretty nice on its own merits but it still doesn't prepare you for the full experience of Mac and Me.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Chokes McGee posted:

Aqua man, he swims like a moron

Sny-der Films/we dumped the di-rector :v:

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
This McDonald’s scene is changing my life.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

I had never seen Mac and Me before.

I’m 20 minutes in and this is loving nuts.

I remember seeing it as a kid, me my brother, his friends and two other kids, we used to have this vhs guy who went round the estate/projects I grew up in with a cart of horrible poo poo pulled behind him. It was either a perfect vhs of a poo poo movie or an unwatchable version of a good one come to think of it. Even then, so loving awful, I think I was only like 7 when I saw it. It was like seeing blood for the first time. You mean people make bad movies and that's ok and they're not punished? For a frame of reference to how bummed and angry that made me, my mum told me there was no santa claus when I was five. I'm not tryhard riffing when I say honestly that movie really did open my eyes to the world. It shaped me, and this was back when kids could just watch slashers and have nightmares.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Being an old fart I remember the marketing, McDonald's and Coke went all out with some promo contest, but I don't think I ever saw the movie until this gauntlet.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Watching Mac and Me, I had to pause it because I spent about five minutes crying and laughing at the "Couldn't find the John, where do I put this?" riff.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Going back to Season 11, am I the only one that thought The Christmas That Almost Wasn't is one of the standouts of the season?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gozinbulx posted:

Going back to Season 11, am I the only one that thought The Christmas That Almost Wasn't is one of the standouts of the season?

No because I adore that episode. Its like the perfect movie to riff too, colorful, whimsical, earnest, and deeply stupid

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

It’s like a movie made by people who’ve seen five movies in their entire lifetime

And one of them was E.T., but they were very sick with the flu at the time.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I can't get over the alien designs in Mac and Me. Who thought that would be the slightest bit appealing?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gozinbulx posted:

I really love it. It's got that "This was almost a real movie and is broken in all the right, funny ways" thing going for it, and the riffing is filled with enjoyable references and running gags.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Killer Fish is a really bad movie.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Lord Hydronium posted:

I can't get over the alien designs in Mac and Me. Who thought that would be the slightest bit appealing?

They knew people liked E.T., they just couldn't figure out why. "It's because he's leathery and nude, right?"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It really makes you appreciate the fine balance the makers of E.T. had to strike. They made their creature "cute" but not cartoonish, alien without being repulsive, gave him an appearance that seemed both youthful and ancient...

Mac and Me is what happens when you fail at that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

howe_sam posted:

Killer Fish is a really bad movie.
I honestly thought it wasn't that bad. It could have used a little tightening up, sure, but I think I wouldn't have minded watching it on its own. More than anything else this season, it felt like an actual movie made by people who had seen a movie at some point and understood how story works.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

E.T. also has some fairly blatant product placement for Reese's Pieces.

Trying to duplicate Spielberg sugar, complete with the John Williams soundtrack and the camera zooming in on people's eyes with catch lights in them, is always a bad idea, because even when Spielberg does it, it's hit or miss.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

People who have seen Mac and Me in its original form: did they make significant cuts for the MST3K version, or was the editing really that choppy? It felt like the whole thing just bounced from one scene to the next with no attempt at transitions or continuity.

Also, Ator had a major “this whole movie is the scriptwriter’s/director’s repressed sexual urges” vibe to it. When he got arrested by the spider warrior dudes near the end, I thought: “so are these guys going to try to gently caress him too?"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Trying to duplicate Spielberg sugar, complete with the John Williams soundtrack and the camera zooming in on people's eyes with catch lights in them, is always a bad idea, because even when Spielberg does it, it's hit or miss.

It also doesn't help if your "John Williams" is just a guy who watched ET once and is trying to ape the soundtrack without getting sued.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Alan Silvestri did the music for Mac & Me. Which is why it sounds like BTTF.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I loved the riff "I'd like to see the movie the composer thinks he's scoring"

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

E.T. also has some fairly blatant product placement for Reese's Pieces.

And I believe its only because M&Ms wouldn't cough up enough when approached. That is what mac and me was born of. People noticing "wasted" product placement space and going balls to the wall cash grab for themed meal deals (were there any?). The entire thing smacks of someone who wants to sell poo poo but isn't an advertiser, so it looks like a commercial vomiting repeatedly for an hour. Its only saving grace is that it was so poo poo at it we can laugh.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

tankadillo posted:

People who have seen Mac and Me in its original form: did they make significant cuts for the MST3K version, or was the editing really that choppy? It felt like the whole thing just bounced from one scene to the next with no attempt at transitions or continuity.

I watched the McDonalds scene off YouTube to show someone and they definitely trimmed stuff here and there.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

tankadillo posted:

Also, Ator had a major “this whole movie is the scriptwriter’s/director’s repressed sexual urges” vibe to it. When he got arrested by the spider warrior dudes near the end, I thought: “so are these guys going to try to gently caress him too?"

that one guy saying something "trembled like a virgin at the nuptial bed" tipped me off relatively early

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

wit posted:

And I believe its only because M&Ms wouldn't cough up enough when approached. That is what mac and me was born of. People noticing "wasted" product placement space and going balls to the wall cash grab for themed meal deals (were there any?). The entire thing smacks of someone who wants to sell poo poo but isn't an advertiser, so it looks like a commercial vomiting repeatedly for an hour. Its only saving grace is that it was so poo poo at it we can laugh.

Isn't it the opposite? A dude in advertising trying to make a movie that fulfilled the 'missed opportunities' in ET?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't it the opposite? A dude in advertising trying to make a movie that fulfilled the 'missed opportunities' in ET?

You might be right, I almost have respect for modern advertisers, the 80s was still a bit of a shambles and everything was so on the nose people didn't mind. Plus it was the 80s, it wasn't til maybe the 2000s the UK got same release dates as US so I might be applying standards to movies from the past in a bit of a time warp.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Mac and Me is what happens when you fail

Trimmed that down for you, yw

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

The producer got McD's to help fund it because he a) had a good relationship with them and b) the profits would go to the ronald mcdonald charities thus being a huge PR coup/writeoff. Coke was just thirsty to be there

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

The producer got McD's to help fund it because he a) had a good relationship with them and b) the profits would go to the ronald mcdonald charities thus being a huge PR coup/writeoff. Coke was just thirsty to be there

Coke and McDonalds are symbiotic companies who helped eachother expand https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/16/business/coke-and-mcdonalds-working-hand-in-hand-since-1955.html Once one was onboard, it was automatic that the other would be.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Atlantic Rim got me thinking who was the worst "protagonist" to be featured on MST3K.

My vote goes to Bob Iger's character in The Mole People. He straight up causes genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Coke and McDonalds are symbiotic companies who helped eachother expand https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/16/business/coke-and-mcdonalds-working-hand-in-hand-since-1955.html Once one was onboard, it was automatic that the other would be.

Really informative but we need to get back to crap movies quickly before illuminati are uncovered.