Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
The ark of the covenant is filled with wifu pillows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

The ark of the covenant is filled with wifu pillows.

Thread title

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

He was an intensely conservative Roman Catholic who believed America should have a monarchy, used Latin phrases badly and boasted that he only listened to Baroque music to try and show off how learned and sophisticated he was despite dressing like a cross between a sleazy version of Humphrey Bogart and the pasty Gestapo guy frm Raiders of the Lost Ark (look at those loving sleeves) and originated the widely-mocked dictum that "the telos of eros is babies".

Also:

:stare:

Okay, I remember that now. I'd not be surprised if that guy is now a real hard core internet nazi/incel. He's more of that cargo cult of masculinity so many nerds are into. Slap on a second hand suit and whatever stuff you can find at good will that makes you think you look like Sam Spade and look at me, I'm so much more manly and cultured than you guys wearing jeans and hoodie.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

steinrokkan posted:

An army marches on its stomach.
A platoon could march around on his.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Wheat Loaf posted:

He was an intensely conservative Roman Catholic who believed America should have a monarchy, used Latin phrases badly and boasted that he only listened to Baroque music to try and show off how learned and sophisticated he was despite dressing like a cross between a sleazy version of Humphrey Bogart and the pasty Gestapo guy frm Raiders of the Lost Ark (look at those loving sleeves) and originated the widely-mocked dictum that "the telos of eros is babies".

Also:

Don't doxx {internet person} like that!!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Wheat Loaf posted:

"the telos of eros is babies".

By george she's got it!

I don't know why that my brain started doing that to my fair lady, but it did

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anyone who wants to relive the Troper thread days should just GIS "Anime is the Ties that Bind Us." It has a few sections that dovetail into Major Tom's insanity.

The thing I'll miss most is when LOB broke her brain posting the entirety of an MLP indiana Jones fanfic onto SA. That or the Dozerfleet.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

That or the Dozerfleet.

Haha, I remember the Dozerfleet as well. This vast elaborate fictional universe conceived by a virulent homophobe who referred to himself in the third person as "the Dozerfleet founder".

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Where does one find a jacket made for a 7 foot tall man and say yes. That is what will bring my look together

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Anyone who wants to relive the Troper thread days should just GIS "Anime is the Ties that Bind Us." It has a few sections that dovetail into Major Tom's insanity.

The thing I'll miss most is when LOB broke her brain posting the entirety of an MLP indiana Jones fanfic onto SA. That or the Dozerfleet.

LoB is a unsung hero among AUG goons, so I demand a Troper best-of series since I have no idea what any of this is.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

TinTower posted:

You answered your own question.

Nah, my favourite recollection from the TV Tropes thread was Rottweiler.

This is two kids in a trench coat

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Vincent Adultman after he broke up with Princess Carolyn.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Heath posted:

Where does one find a jacket made for a 7 foot tall man and say yes. That is what will bring my look together

I combine the aesthetics of Columbo with the opinions of Father Coughlin; surely both these things are hip and go well together

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

the telos is stored in the eros etc etc

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

:stare:

Okay, I remember that now. I'd not be surprised if that guy is now a real hard core internet nazi/incel. He's more of that cargo cult of masculinity so many nerds are into. Slap on a second hand suit and whatever stuff you can find at good will that makes you think you look like Sam Spade and look at me, I'm so much more manly and cultured than you guys wearing jeans and hoodie.

Yeah, anybody that's all "well you see I am a smart and sophisticated man, you can tell because of my tastes in music" is a loving moron about that subject at the very least. Enjoying classical music isn't a reliable indicator of anything other than "is a person who enjoys classical music."

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Oh dang, it looks like the CrazyGoggs videos have been removed from YouTube. Those were a great series of dramatic readings from trooper tales and the tvtropes forums a la F Plus.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah, anybody that's all "well you see I am a smart and sophisticated man, you can tell because of my tastes in music" is a loving moron about that subject at the very least. Enjoying classical music isn't a reliable indicator of anything other than "is a person who enjoys classical music."

Yep, they and bad writers of tv and movies with "smart" villains are the only ones who think that listening to classical music = smart. I sold music for a decade, and I can say just from my sample, listening to classical music makes you no smarter than buying rap or metal.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Arcsquad12 posted:

What ever happened to LoB?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
At best, earnestly enjoying classical music makes one a boring chode, and whenever I hear it I think of persons with profound anti-social personality disorders.

I enjoy industrial, folk metal and video game music (RTS, fighting, RPG), to save you the trouble of asking.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Tubgoat posted:

At best, earnestly enjoying classical music makes one a boring chode, and whenever I hear it I think of persons with profound anti-social personality disorders.

I enjoy industrial, folk metal and video game music (RTS, fighting, RPG), to save you the trouble of asking.

That glass house is in pieces, man!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
That's why I'm crouching in the brush with a catcher's mitt.

I guess my question is, what mood/feelings do people get from listening to, say, classical? Top 40 pop? Pop country?? I listen to music that gets me jazzed up to go do poo poo (also I like jazz, just not big band) that I nominally don't feel like doing.

Oh, and blue grass kicks all manner of rear end and it's a shame that it only seems to share a radio station with hickpop.

Tubgoat has a new favorite as of 04:00 on Dec 5, 2018

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If only there was but one classical piece that is, uhm, you know, energetic, like metal that was heavily influenced by classical music. Alas, instead literally the entirety of all classical music throughout centuries conveys exactly one mood with a single flute playing one note for half an hour.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
That, pianos and violins, yeah. Even the most uptempo classical sounds like boring and lovely to me, no matter how complex it is. Also, I used to tolerate melodic/symphonic metal, but I just can't do it now.

Unrelated: Nice AUG avatar you got there. :stonkhat:

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Tubgoat posted:

That, pianos and violins, yeah. Even the most uptempo classical sounds like boring and lovely to me, no matter how complex it is. Also, I used to tolerate melodic/symphonic metal, but I just can't do it now.

Unrelated: Nice AUG avatar you got there. :stonkhat:

My dude have you listened to Vivaldi

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The composer whose music came preinstalled in most new Windows 95 machines?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who knew that the most AUG of them all was posting from right inside this thread.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I had a friend that just didn't like music. Like, didn't like any music at all. He was the absolute weirdest dude I've ever known.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Not that this is remotely thread appropriate, but Gustav Holst's The Planets is loving rad.

Here's Mars, the Bringer of War:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I&hd=1

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I never judge anyone for the music they like, its just when people get evangelical about it. People who go "any music but Type X is just poo poo, only Type X is REAL Music". Anecdotally, the most AUG people who were like that were the gutter metal guys. Smelly, clearly wearing the same slipknot tshirt they always wear, greasey unwashed hair, and telling me that "Iron Maiden isn't metal, real metal is about masks and murder".

I half expected Corpsegrinder to just pop out of nowwhere and smack that guy.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

twistedmentat posted:

I never judge anyone for the music they like, its just when people get evangelical about it. People who go "any music but Type X is just poo poo, only Type X is REAL Music". Anecdotally, the most AUG people who were like that were the gutter metal guys. Smelly, clearly wearing the same slipknot tshirt they always wear, greasey unwashed hair, and telling me that "Iron Maiden isn't metal, real metal is about masks and murder".

I half expected Corpsegrinder to just pop out of nowwhere and smack that guy.

Nah, Corpsegrinder wouldn't hit anybody unless they were gay

(he is a homophobe)

(he called alliance players f*ggots in a documentary and blizzard took a really long time to address it after they hired him to play at blizzcon)

(blizzard is a bad company)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Solice Kirsk posted:

I had a friend that just didn't like music. Like, didn't like any music at all. He was the absolute weirdest dude I've ever known.

Introduce me to David Mitchell please.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I would, but this David Mitchell killed himself back in like 2009.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Paladinus posted:

If only there was but one classical piece that is, uhm, you know, energetic, like metal that was heavily influenced by classical music. Alas, instead literally the entirety of all classical music throughout centuries conveys exactly one mood with a single flute playing one note for half an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP-mwk00MgM

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Who th gently caress is Corpsegrinder?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Raptor1033 posted:

Who th gently caress is Corpsegrinder?

He grinds corpses.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oh, like how barrel makers used to have the last name Cooper. Makes sense.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

The only real classical music includes Battlefield Vietnam sound effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL2Z9pGIie8

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/79226017/Anime-is-the-Tie-that-Binds-Us

https://www.scribd.com/document/79857863/The-Telos-of-Eros

https://www.scribd.com/document/105308598/He-Has-Amnesia-But-Knows-Everything-A-Lot-KIKEN

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I like all music: country, classical, rap, and only the vapest vaporwave. GET POLYTONAL NERDS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Cheesy power metal for me, the cheesier the better. If it's not about dragon wizards fighting knight-kings, then I don't want any part of it.

That said, Van Canto is in a league of its own :allears: