Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"You can RAID 5 with a minimum of three drives!" :downs:

I wonder, if as SSDs get cheaper and flood the marketplace, if large HDDs will get more expensive since they'll be getting bought less. Most consumer-bought and OEM-included HDDs are only ~1-2TB. The only people buying the 6TB+ drives are NAS users, anime hoarders, and people running servers - be they personal, professional, or corporate.

So far they just seem to be getting cheaper. They'll have to wait for the next flood to jack the prices up again, even if they are unaffected by said flood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
How much worse is a WD Blue SSD compared to an 860Evo? I want to buy a 1TB drive but the 860Evo is sold out everywhere since it's on sale.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

DiggityDoink posted:

How much worse is a WD Blue SSD compared to an 860Evo? I want to buy a 1TB drive but the 860Evo is sold out everywhere since it's on sale.

Like, "half a tier" below it. Samsung SSDs aren't the only good ones nowadays, and the Crucial MX500 is basically at the same level as the Evos. The WD Blue / Sandisk Ultra is imperceptibly ranked a little below that, and then you have the other stuff with DRAM and 3D NAND like the Adata SU800. You're not going to notice the difference between any of these in use, just get the Blue.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I wonder, if as SSDs get cheaper and flood the marketplace, if large HDDs will get more expensive since they'll be getting bought less. Most consumer-bought and OEM-included HDDs are only ~1-2TB. The only people buying the 6TB+ drives are NAS users, anime hoarders, and people running servers - be they personal, professional, or corporate.

Until you can get a 8TB SSD for <$200, large format HDDs will have a place. I'm sure we'll get there eventually, but as you point out, the >6TB drives exist to serve a fairly specialized market, and SSDs still have a ways to go before they start eating HDD's lunch. In that sense, I doubt it'll negatively impact HDD prices to any meaningful extent.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

This is more for the main HDD thread, but: high-capacity HDDs are already more expensive; nowadays a good price is $20/TB, which you can regularly find generally in the ~3-8 TB range (e.g. I just got 3 TB Greens from Newegg via eBay with the 15% off code for a final price of <$15/TB, and I bought a 6 TB He8 (or He6, I forget) for ~$105 months ago, and 8 TB externals, both WD and Seagate SMR, have been ~$125 on sale,) and this is starting to trickle up to 10 TB with the recent BB WD sale for $180 (plus a flash drive.) Lower-capacity drives are still generally >$20/TB, and above 8 or 10 TB the prices skyrocket, especially for the non-consumer drives.

Also I have to reiterate that HDDs will still have value for backups and long-term storage due to data retention (and cost.) Tape storage is still a thing for the same reasons, by the way.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Have any of you installed 3rd party heatsinks on your NVMe drives? Worth it?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Atomizer posted:

Like, "half a tier" below it. Samsung SSDs aren't the only good ones nowadays, and the Crucial MX500 is basically at the same level as the Evos. The WD Blue / Sandisk Ultra is imperceptibly ranked a little below that, and then you have the other stuff with DRAM and 3D NAND like the Adata SU800. You're not going to notice the difference between any of these in use, just get the Blue.

Thanks, got an MX500 that Amazon had on sale. My 250gb 850evo is going to a friend for Xmas who still doesn't have an SSD.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

teagone posted:

I actually just installed an NVMe drive (SX8200) in each of two NUCs. They came with their own optional heat spreader which I had to apply myself. I haven't had any time to test them rigorously (or without the spreaders) but I figure they probably can't hurt, although the average user will likely not push the drives hard enough to necessitate heat sinks/spreaders in the first place.

One thing to note is that the NAND flash itself likes to be warm, the controller is what you want to keep cool. There was a YT video on this, I believe it was from one of Linus' channels, but I can't find it again. Anyone know the video I'm talking about?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Steve from Gamers Nexus talks about it in this video.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Edit: Beaten like an old hard drive by newer SSDs.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

teagone posted:

Welp, on my Mac Pro / Samsung 970 Pro, I got this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZX417T/

This might seem like overkill, as it has thermal pads and heat sinks for both sides of the SSD, but thanks to this the temps I saw before in the 45-49C range with a naked Lycom DT-120 now never climb over 35-37C with this installed and the internal PCI fan cranked up slightly.

Haven't felt the need to run a benchmarker app to try to put it under load, though.

One cool thing about this card is that it has switch selectable LEDs (off / continuous / drive access only) that make the back of my machine visible from low earth orbit and the alcove under my desk look like a disco.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I'm not sure if that's the video I was originally thinking of (but it was on my "watch later" list, I just hadn't gotten around to it) but it basically confirms what I already wrote. If anything, the heat spreader route sounds like it makes more sense than a heat sink that's going to cool everything, because the former will accomplish both goals of (slightly) cooling the controller and warming the flash.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What’s the deal with the 860 Evo? I’m seeing something like a 1TB 860 Evo costing the same thing I paid for a 500GB 850 Evo just last year. That seems like a huge price decrease.

E: This page seems to suggest it’s just a sale?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 1, 2018

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Nothing with the 860 EVO in particular, NAND flash is in oversupply so SSD prices are down across the board. They're expected to continue dropping well into next year.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Whats the deal with the 860 Evo? Im seeing something like a 1TB 860 Evo costing the same thing I paid for a 500GB 850 Evo just last year. That seems like a huge price decrease.

E: This page seems to suggest its just a sale?

Yeah, Samsung had a cyber week sale going on where the 1TB was only $130 instead of $200 and everyone else price matched them so they're sold out everywhere.

The 500gb one was on sale too but the 1TB had a bigger markdown.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

When your MSI mobo is missing the M.2 standoffs, is there something I could use in its place?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1229_1088&item_id=114570

Is this worth grabbing? WD Blue™ 3D NAND SATAIII SSD, 1TB Priced at 179.99$ Canadian currently (think the deal is just for today, goes back up to 219$) - seems cheaper then the EVO 860 1TBs which go for 309$ most places I check right now. Few posts up said its only a slight step down from the EVO/Samsung drives?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

When your MSI mobo is missing the M.2 standoffs, is there something I could use in its place?

I think the m.2 mounting height and thus standoff distance isn't standardized, but that being said I'd just grab a cheap pack of them from Amazon or eBay and give it a shot.

Oxyclean posted:

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1229_1088&item_id=114570

Is this worth grabbing? WD Blue™ 3D NAND SATAIII SSD, 1TB Priced at 179.99$ Canadian currently (think the deal is just for today, goes back up to 219$) - seems cheaper then the EVO 860 1TBs which go for 309$ most places I check right now. Few posts up said its only a slight step down from the EVO/Samsung drives?

As I just wrote recently, the WD Blue is a solid SSD and is absolutely a viable alternative to Samsung. That specific drive is around US$130 at the moment, and SSD prices have been dropping, so if that price in Canadollars makes sense then go for it. There have been cheaper 1 TB SSDs (going as low as <US$100) recently, but any drive with DRAM (unless it's not for OS usage) within that range is a reasonable purchase (adjusted for local currency, of course.)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Atomizer posted:

As I just wrote recently, the WD Blue is a solid SSD and is absolutely a viable alternative to Samsung. That specific drive is around US$130 at the moment, and SSD prices have been dropping, so if that price in Canadollars makes sense then go for it. There have been cheaper 1 TB SSDs (going as low as <US$100) recently, but any drive with DRAM (unless it's not for OS usage) within that range is a reasonable purchase (adjusted for local currency, of course.)

I'm just looking for something a secondary to get my games to load faster (already got a 250GB ssd for my OS) - should I be looking for something else?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Oxyclean posted:

I'm just looking for something a secondary to get my games to load faster (already got a 250GB ssd for my OS) - should I be looking for something else?

for a drive that's nothing but a games dump you could go with an extremely cheap ADATA drive (the SU650) which don't have dram and save a few bucks

but I'd just get that WD blue for future flexibility, in case you want it as your OS drive the next time around. a dram-less drive like the SU650 is pretty much locked in to being secondary storage.

edit: also,

GreenBuckanneer posted:

for replacement standoffs I would just go to the hardware store rather than waiting on something to be shipped. get a tiny bolt + nut and a little packet of small nylon washers so you don't need to care about shorting anything.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 1, 2018

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

First piece of new build arrived

About 100 bucks cheaper than what I paid for a 500gb 840 when I did my last build

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt
I just bought a 905p Intel Optane 960GB drive, and separately got a sweet deal through Amazon Warehouse deals on a QNAP 4-Bay M.2 SSD NASbook with Built-in 4 Port LAN Switch, 8GB Version (TBS-453A-8G-US) for $400 (normally $599 for the 8GB model).

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt

Binary Badger posted:

Haven't felt the need to run a benchmarker app to try to put it under load, though.

USERBENCHMARK.COM takes about 90 seconds to run. I'm not sure what would be the point of spending so much money and not tuning the PC.

Binary Badger posted:

One cool thing about this card is that it has switch selectable LEDs (off / continuous / drive access only) that make the back of my machine visible from low earth orbit and the alcove under my desk look like a disco.

This last line sounds a bit like you are defending pissing $45 down the drain :\ But, we all do that.

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt

Atomizer posted:

I think the m.2 mounting height and thus standoff distance isn't standardized, but that being said I'd just grab a cheap pack of them from Amazon or eBay and give it a shot.

I use WD Blue for my OS drive. I use Optane for my SQL database performance testing. WD Blue has great sequential reads, but lovely random IOPS and poor sustained queue depth performance. But for most applications not involving "big data", random IOPS simply dont matter.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Z-Bo posted:

USERBENCHMARK.COM takes about 90 seconds to run. I'm not sure what would be the point of spending so much money and not tuning the PC.

Benchmarking isn't tuning. He wanted temp drops and he got them, running benchmarks at this point is an idle curiosity thing since he's not going to be making adjustments on a passive cooler.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Z-Bo posted:

Because I'm running it on a Mac and I don't feel like running the exe in Boot Camp/Parallels?

quote:

This last line sounds a bit like you are defending pissing $45 down the drain :\ But, we all do that.

Well, all I know is that I was getting much hotter temperatures with a plain vanilla PCIe card like the Lycom. That $20-25 more I paid to get the heatsinks included with the Kryo for the 970 Pro is worth it to me.

Maybe I could have economized and just glued some heat sink to the controller chip and called it a day, but I didn't feel like having it eventually fall off and short out the logic board. With the Kryo, screws hold everything in place including the heat sinks, and they're on both sides of the SSD which seems quite sensible to me.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 6, 2018

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Heatsinks on ssds are placebo.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
They absolutely do work in terms of allowing sustained load for longer before throttling sets in, but as a regular user you probably don't need them. They certainly aren't just a placebo.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

LRADIKAL posted:

If only that were true. It's become quite crazy, extra nvme ssd cooling makes a measurable difference.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Samsung-950-Pro-M-2-Additional-Cooling-Testing-795/

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I think it's the controller that you want to keep cool for sustained performance. Flash supposedly likes running hot.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

alex314 posted:

I think it's the controller that you want to keep cool for sustained performance. Flash supposedly likes running hot.

Yeah, hence the prevalence of heat-spreaders instead of heat-sinks on many NVMe SSDs.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
In the same topic that people are advised that NVME is a waste of money because no one needs the speed and you can't tell the difference, we're talking about putting aftermarket heat sinks on ssds to improve their benchmark performance. Got it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Reason I asked about 3rd party heatsinks for NVMe drives is because the MP510 I got during BF/Cyber Monday deals doesn't have the branding label with a copper backing/heatspreader like the MP500 and MP300 drives do. But after reading a couple reviews, it seems like the controller used in the MP510 runs a fair bit cooler than the one used in the previous and lower end models, so no biggie :)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

LRADIKAL posted:

In the same topic that people are advised that NVME is a waste of money because no one needs the speed and you can't tell the difference, we're talking about putting aftermarket heat sinks on ssds to improve their benchmark performance. Got it.
That's not really what's being said though :v:

NVMe is not a waste of money *if you need it and you know you need it* and aftermarket heatsinks increase the time a NVMe drive runs without thermal throttling which again, may be important to someone who actually needs NVMe speeds.

You said the heatsinks are a placebo, which technically they're not - but I agree that obviously someone who already won't notice NVMe speeds over SATA is not going to notice a heatsink either. According to reviews a 1 TB WD Black NVMe eg. reads/writes about 400 GB before throttling starts without heatsink, so you need a serious use case for this to justify a heatsink for performance reasons. I guess they look cool?

orcane fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 6, 2018

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm with you there!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

LRADIKAL posted:

Wait wait wait, there's a huge difference between the (reasonable) opinion that NVMe drives are not that necessary in most home-user scenarios, and acknowledging the actual data that shows heatsinks and cooling can give more consistent performance on fast-rear end NVMe SSDs.

Those statements are not in any way mutually exclusive. The fact that you (probably) won't notice a performance difference doesn't mean the cooling effect is "placebo". If there's a measurable, repeatable difference that's outside of margin of error, that's surely beyond the definition of 'placebo'.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 7, 2018

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt

Z-Bo posted:

I just bought a 905p Intel Optane 960GB drive, and separately got a sweet deal through Amazon Warehouse deals on a QNAP 4-Bay M.2 SSD NASbook with Built-in 4 Port LAN Switch, 8GB Version (TBS-453A-8G-US) for $400 (normally $599 for the 8GB model).

Not sure if anyone has had this happen to them before, but I just got my QNAP today... with no remote, two screws missing, and both 4GB ram sticks gone :psyduck:

Thankfully I bought through Amazon which has GREAT customer service, and they processed the return no hassle. BUT I really wish the slimebag who clearly stole the memory and returned it would get caught.

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt

LRADIKAL posted:

The ASUS m.2 Hyper card and the QNAP QM.2 are probably the only decent heatsinks out there. On the ASUS, the real reason to buy it is not the HeatSink but Intel's awesome VROC technology. I debated just buying an ASUS m.2 and not getting a SAN, but I wanted the benefits of SAN software too.

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt

HalloKitty posted:

Wait wait wait, there's a huge difference between the (reasonable) opinion that NVMe drives are not that necessary in most home-user scenarios, and acknowledging the actual data that shows heatsinks and cooling can give more consistent performance on fast-rear end NVMe SSDs.

Those statements are not in any way mutually exclusive. The fact that you (probably) won't notice a performance difference doesn't mean the cooling effect is "placebo". If there's a measurable, repeatable difference that's outside of margin of error, that's surely beyond the definition of 'placebo'.

Here is my use case for SSD - downloading New York Stock Exchange tick data (every trade, every quote) for the last 10 years, and splaying the data on kx systems kdb+ Personal license database.

If you're doing this, then yes, you want to microoptimize the lovely out of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Z-Bo posted:

Not sure if anyone has had this happen to them before, but I just got my QNAP today... with no remote, two screws missing, and both 4GB ram sticks gone :psyduck:

Thankfully I bought through Amazon which has GREAT customer service, and they processed the return no hassle. BUT I really wish the slimebag who clearly stole the memory and returned it would get caught.

There have even been reports of people buying newer Synology NAS boxes, swapping the internals with an older models they already own and then returning the product.