Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DogonCrook posted:

So i get a marine go to an empty ship and click board that poo poo just spins circles around the drat thing and now i cant get my marine pod or whatever the gently caress back. Am i doing something wrong or is this poo poo broke? I mean obviously its broke but is there some sort of magic to make this happen? Was claim ship not enough? It auto launched that poo poo so im not sure what else it wants from me. None of the other orders do a loving thing of course lol the one i need is greyed out but it lets me choose a bunch of other orders that do absolutely nothing.

Leave the sector and he will magically figure out how to get on board. There's some weird pathfinding thing going on where they get stuck circling around it but OOS navigation isn't detailed enough for that kind of pathfinding to matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DogonCrook posted:

So i get a marine go to an empty ship and click board that poo poo just spins circles around the drat thing and now i cant get my marine pod or whatever the gently caress back. Am i doing something wrong or is this poo poo broke? I mean obviously its broke but is there some sort of magic to make this happen? Was claim ship not enough? It auto launched that poo poo so im not sure what else it wants from me. None of the other orders do a loving thing of course lol the one i need is greyed out but it lets me choose a bunch of other orders that do absolutely nothing.

The pathfinding for boarding pods is broken unfortunately, apparently the next patch will let you claim them properly, while you can work around it by launching the pod point blank.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Moving away from the ship worked for me.
If nothing else you can try leaving the sector. As the game then doesnt have to take pathfinding amd physics into account for your marine to find its way.

Edit: double beaten

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Thanks that did the trick

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Well my game is hosed. I still have the sector that basically crashes my game if I try to fly in it. The Xenon are dead. Their sector has argon ships flying around. The market is stagnant and I have 80m with no idea what I could do with it. I built destroyers and sent to see if they could blow up some of the stations and they just stare at them.

I installed X3:AP with LU and Mayhem - we will see how that goes - but I got to say X3 graphics really have not aged well.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
If you really really want that ship, edit your save, I guess look for unowned, and find the correct ship, and change the ownership to player. (maybe) E: no, leaving system and letting oos take care of it seems more germaine
owlfancier, how do you and others take screenshots, i have looked everywhere?

staberind fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 5, 2018

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Speaking of graphics, what is wrong with xenon ships in this game? They look really weirdly round.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

OwlFancier posted:

Weirdly I still can't get anyone to buy ecells even though i sell them at 11c.

There appears to be zero demand for ecells in my galaxy. Not a single station needs them.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

ECells weren't exactly an efficient money-maker in X3.

Egosoft just implementing tradition!

Edit: X3 factories / producing stations had secondary resources which were used if available and adjusted pricing with the amount in the station. This acted as a resource sink to drain the economy and keep things moving along.

Why didn't they do it in X4?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

FrickenMoron posted:

Speaking of graphics, what is wrong with xenon ships in this game? They look really weirdly round.

Recycling XR assets, also, it seems they decided that being a large, slow moving rectangle presented maybe a too obvious target for people with a speed advantage and the ability to vomit torpedo's.
There's plenty of cruft in space moving at velocities that make kinetic weapons look like someone on ketamine trying to throw a wheelbarrow full of cement at the sun. deflecting shapes with ablative outer materials are better than thin rectangles that have no hope of getting a better angle in time.
smaller craft should be able to dodge stuff, so can be whatever shape uses matter<>energy most efficiently.

If there is no demand, make demand by creating, uh, empty spaces where there were delivery mechanisms of ecells?

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>
How to set up a miner to mine, trade, then return to mining? Someone mentioned setting up a silicon mining operation and I'd love to get in on that.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Just select automine as a default task for them.

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>

FrickenMoron posted:

Just select automine as a default task for them.

i thought he was just sitting there after getting done but it looks like he's refusing to use travel mode

the amount of times AI ships refuse to use travel mode is becoming infuriating

My auto-trading cargo ships are just taking their sweet times crossing the sectors. Am I doing something wrong? :negative:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GODDAMN FOOL posted:

i thought he was just sitting there after getting done but it looks like he's refusing to use travel mode

the amount of times AI ships refuse to use travel mode is becoming infuriating

My auto-trading cargo ships are just taking their sweet times crossing the sectors. Am I doing something wrong? :negative:
Even with the arcane witchcraft involved in X AI. Did you ever use presets when churning out the traders in question?

I noticed for example, all of presets gives trader ships combat engines.

Let me just take a quick look here to double check some numbers. Okay, a Teladi Vulture Sentinel (the 12k cargo M) with a MK3 combat engine has a boost speed of 928, and a travel speed of... also 928.

Don't use presets for M traders, except when slamming minimum to print empty shells I guess :stare: Skynet running your finances would still be pretty hosed with that.

M Miners are not so bad off with the presets always being combat engines. Teladi Manorina (Mineral) M for example, says it gets 2.5k travel with a combat engine. The best possible normal speed may also be preferable for puttering from rock to rock anyways.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 5, 2018

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>

Section Z posted:

Even with the arcane witchcraft involved in X AI. Did you ever use presets when churning out the traders in question?

Let me just take a quick look here to double check some numbers. Okay, a Teladi Vulture Sentinel (the 12k cargo M) with a MK3 combat engine has a boost speed of 928, and a travel speed of... also 928.

Don't use presets except when slamming minimum to print empty shells I guess :stare:

One is one that I started with, and another is one I found, but they have at least mk2 travel engines

I decided to go fly to one of them to see how fast they were going and he was literally flying at 125m/s :| I told him to go home and he travel-sped away.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Well, I’m out for a while till they patch it. Just took my high-preset cerberus for a spin in Xenon space, supported by my paranid speedboat, and got absolutely monstered by a couple of Xenon Ns because the turrets rarely fires and, when they did, did minimal damage.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Section Z posted:

Don't use presets for M traders, except when slamming minimum to print empty shells I guess :stare: Skynet running your finances would still be pretty hosed with that.

M Miners are not so bad off with the presets always being combat engines. Teladi Manorina (Mineral) M for example, says it gets 2.5k travel with a combat engine. The best possible normal speed may also be preferable for puttering from rock to rock anyways.

The little save icon next to the presets allows you to make and save presets to use.

I tried out the tweaks suggested in this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/X4Foundations/comments/a36x7n/save_editing_argon_vs_teladi_at_war/

Now I have everything at war with everything.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Slickdrac posted:

The little save icon next to the presets allows you to make and save presets to use.

I tried out the tweaks suggested in this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/X4Foundations/comments/a36x7n/save_editing_argon_vs_teladi_at_war/

Now I have everything at war with everything.
Oh yeah! I'll have to keep the first thing in mind.

As for the second? I just saw a billion tracker mines placed by the teladi in front of the gate leading to Silent Witness I as it is. And also learned they don't care I'm +15 rep with them :v:

I guess in Vanilla, all the warring is happening when I'm not looking? The removal of Jump Drives was all well and good, but I get the feeling I'd miss them with collateral damage like that already possible without modding in extra wartime goodness.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Something I noticed when looking through the save file. Relations between the races are NOT locked, which means the same actions that can raise lower for play also apply between the factions. Which explains why some people have seen natural wars break out without modifying anything. Many relations before I modified it were already starting to dip down to 15-20% negative. -50% seems to be where "shoot on sight" kicks in.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I want a game type where you start with literally nothing but a small busted up mining ship in an empty galaxy and you have to scavenge everything to get a small industrial base up. You recruit pilots and other dudes by finding cryo pods floating through space like coffins and unravel the story behind the collapse.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The map set up the way it is, with a large highway loop around everything, would make more sense if there was a million poorly connected systems around and the systems we have in game now would be a core. I hope this is really what they’re going for, but if that’s the case then they really meant Foundations when they named the bloody thing, didn’t they.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Slickdrac posted:

Something I noticed when looking through the save file. Relations between the races are NOT locked, which means the same actions that can raise lower for play also apply between the factions. Which explains why some people have seen natural wars break out without modifying anything. Many relations before I modified it were already starting to dip down to 15-20% negative. -50% seems to be where "shoot on sight" kicks in.

While you're digging through faction stuff. Is it not possible to raise your Rep with the Scale Pact outside of modding? A string of SCA missions has done gently caress all, and none of them mention any rep gains on completion. (Unlike the chepskate Teladi, Scale spring for Friend/Foe mines so are safe at -5 neutral!) Or am I soft locked at -5 until one of the still broken buggy for me "Lucrative offer" missions is completed?

Also, one of those seemingly useless "Faction, Civilian" missions offered by scanning signals was a real winner.

They wanted a ride to a Khaak defense platform :wtc: Maybe an NPC will give you a lift someday, because I'm not even going to attempt it as a joke.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 5, 2018

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I know it's early days but any idea what's a good early profitable factory is?

I've set up a silicon wafer factory and it's selling but it'll be heat death of the universe before it even pays for itself.

Also I have auto traders and miners it's the station empire I want to move to.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Section Z posted:

While you're digging through faction stuff. Is it not possible to raise your Rep with the Scale Pact outside of modding? A string of SCA missions has done gently caress all, and none of them mention any rep gains on completion. (Unlike the chepskate Teladi, Scale spring for Friend/Foe mines so are safe at -5 neutral!) Or am I soft locked at -5 until one of the still broken buggy for me "Lucrative offer" missions is completed?

Also, one of those seemingly useless "Faction, Civilian" missions offered by scanning signals was a real winner.

They wanted a ride to a Khaak defense platform :wtc: Maybe an NPC will give you a lift someday, because I'm not even going to attempt it as a joke.

<faction id="scaleplate">
<relations locked="1">

You might be able to just delete the relations locked line.

Oddly, Civilian, Criminal, and Smuggler are the only other factions locked, even Xenon and Khaak aren't locked.

E-Also, just got the trade offer subscription, it just keeps station buy/sell orders up to date, but doesn't tell you where other stations are

E2-Speaking of trades, you may notice you can place a buy order at a station remotely from a ship. Don't do this, it'll go on autopilot with no capacity for travel mode and refuse to give you control back until it's finished and probably glitch out and make you invisible

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 5, 2018

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
I quite enjoy this game but there are so many weird design decisions in it, it's making my head hurt. It's like they did additional work to gently caress things up.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
FYI 1.21 (the beta patch) just got pushed out to everyone

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Thinking about picking this up but when faced with a choice of Hitman 2, Just Cause 4, or X4 I had to go Hitman 2.

Does the game still have that baffling highway system? Or is it back to jump gates loading in new sectors? I always felt like I never had any clue where I actually was in X: Rebirth and that it lacked a sense of space (as in location, not, y'know, SPACE space).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It has gates, transorbital accelerators, superhighways, and normal highways.

They're actually quite good in this, there's a big highway loop that runs through the central systems, would as someone mentioned make a really good set of core sectors for a larger map.

But it also has a travel drive that lets you go real fast in any direction, the movement systems are much improved from X3 and Rebirth.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

So by what you said and the pictures of sector maps, does that mean that they got rid of loads between the sectors? I played a bunch of X3 and its expansions in the day and I remember that having discrete sectors and the gates jumped / loaded you into new ones.

Is it hypothetically possible to just SETA your way into a different sector? Or do the new transit methods act as the loading screens?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Slickdrac posted:

E2-Speaking of trades, you may notice you can place a buy order at a station remotely from a ship. Don't do this, it'll go on autopilot with no capacity for travel mode and refuse to give you control back until it's finished and probably glitch out and make you invisible

Were you doing this in a ship with no crew? Because the AI pilots handle remote buy orders just fine.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Wrr posted:

So by what you said and the pictures of sector maps, does that mean that they got rid of loads between the sectors? I played a bunch of X3 and its expansions in the day and I remember that having discrete sectors and the gates jumped / loaded you into new ones.

Is it hypothetically possible to just SETA your way into a different sector? Or do the new transit methods act as the loading screens?

There's little-to-no actual loading (there's a bit of a travel sequence for the sub-sector transitions). The superhighway runs through about a dozen gates and is pretty much seamless.

Sectors/subsectors expand indefinitely and you can't travel from one to another.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Wrr posted:

There's no loading screen, but they are clear boundaries and there is still in-system / out of system differences. Everything is just already loaded you hit the gate and are suddenly in a new star system as if it was always in front of you. It's a tad jarring at first since you expect a load screen, transition, something, you do get used to it. It's a good thing it's impressive and it's like watching TV without commercials. Odd at first but once you get used to it going back is just torture and you will wonder why that was ever acceptable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wrr posted:

Superhighways, jumpgates, and ToAs all move you to another sector, and you can't fly between them. It works like a loading screen without the loading screen. Gates/ToAs are near instant transition as in rebirth and the superhighways show where in the system you're moving through. They're used, like ToAs were in X3TC, to move long distances within the same system but are modelled as separate sectors.

There are a lot fewer systems because they are much larger than X3's sectors were, as a rule, and they can contain significantly more stations. They usually have about a dozen or so in most of them to start with but the factions can and will build more over time.

You don't SETA your way anywhere as a rule, because SETA is a thing you have to find parts for and it can take a while. That's what the travel drive is for, you can get around the universe very quickly with it, especially if you use the highway loop.

The universe would benefit from more sectors, but the universe would always benefit from more sectors. There's certainly a good variety in the types of sectors and differences in structure but I do personally miss the difference between the western and eastern galaxies in X3TC. Then again, i didn't like the changes made for X3AP, X3TC is my single favourite world map.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I think the main thing I'd want outside of adding more sectors for more factions is a few more wilderness sectors/pirate sectors.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Astroniomix posted:

Were you doing this in a ship with no crew? Because the AI pilots handle remote buy orders just fine.

I did it while docked and in the seat.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Slickdrac posted:

I did it while docked and in the seat.

Yea that's funny. I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to be able to give orders to a ship you are currently flying, but apparently it will let you set up a trade order, but only if you're docked. Undocked your ship won't appear on the list.

If you do accidentally get yourself stuck like that you can cancel the trade order under your ship's information tab to get control back, and then undocking again will fix your ship. (your ship never actually leaves the station, it's just the camera that moves)

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

That's a bug I discovered that causes your ship to flip the gently caress out.

Trade orders aren't supposed to be given to the ship you're flying...it would seem.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No orders are, I'm surprised you could. It removes the order options from a ship you are personally flying.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

No orders are, I'm surprised you could. It removes the order options from a ship you are personally flying.

I think it's related to how they disabled the trade orders for your ship. As I said earlier you cannot give your own ship a trade order when you are undocked, but once docked you would obviously need to be able to trade with that station, problem is they have it set up so it activates the trade system for the whole universe instead of just the station you're at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Now I'm curious what would have happened if I let it go through a gate, or even get to it's destination.