Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

UniFi access points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thom and the Heads posted:

A few jobs ago, some nice old man kept reopening a ticket by responding to the closure notification email with "thank you". He must've reopened it 7 or 8 times. We reworded our close email shortly after that.

Just had a guy do that a few weeks ago, until I emailed him and bluntly told him to stop (and why). He got the message after that.

His title is "Vice Chairman"

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
"Hi!

Eric needs the same file access as Tara, and I was hoping to get an idea of the access Tony has as well, so we can copy it over to Lance for the duration of the project

I'd like this done by end of day.

Thanks!"

There's 4 Erics, 6 Taras, 2 Tonys, and no Lances in my Active Directory. I don't know what 'the project' is. The requester pulled the classic "Send ticket, throw computer and phone out the window" move, because she isn't responding to emails or calls.

Guess Eric and Lance aren't getting poo poo today!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

monsterzero posted:

I wish our ticketing system generated a 'Your case has been closed, if everything is good please do not reply. If you wish to offer your gratitude, click this thumbs-up icon.' message when a case was closed. Half my tickets get re-opened with with a 'Thank you." drat polite coworkers.
Having worked the ticket queue for far too long I now make a point of including my thanks and a blatant "I understand that the ticket will be closed and I'll get an email" note just to let service desk folks know that I'm not gonna make more work for them and they can clear brainspace for something important.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
It's bad design, and the fact that so many people are complaining about it shows that. I appreciate that the intent is to allow users an easy way to update the ticket, but users are going to keep inadvertently reopening these tickets because that's the consequence of the natural response to it.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Antioch posted:

"Hi!

Eric needs the same file access as Tara, and I was hoping to get an idea of the access Tony has as well, so we can copy it over to Lance for the duration of the project

I'd like this done by end of day.

Thanks!"

There's 4 Erics, 6 Taras, 2 Tonys, and no Lances in my Active Directory. I don't know what 'the project' is. The requester pulled the classic "Send ticket, throw computer and phone out the window" move, because she isn't responding to emails or calls.

Guess Eric and Lance aren't getting poo poo today!

From experience: Lance was just fired and the requester just quit without notice. Tara has been doing Mike in AP's job and used to work p/t in HR, so Eric is going to get a lot of inappropriate access.

guppy posted:

It's bad design, and the fact that so many people are complaining about it shows that. I appreciate that the intent is to allow users an easy way to update the ticket, but users are going to keep inadvertently reopening these tickets because that's the consequence of the natural response to it.

Yep. And I'm grateful every day I don't have a job with supervisors who judge solely by metrics generated by broken systems.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
And I quote:

"Hi AA,
it's been months since we reported the phone in *area*"

Well let me stop you right there!

As you well know, a voicemail does not constitute reporting a fault, whilst we are here, let me show you the 3 emails I sent you and the rest of the senior management explaining that we were cutting out the 200 unused phone extensions and you should let me know if you wish to retain any but none of you responded. However, I'm in a good mood, given that I am aware I caused this disruption, I will fix it, have a good day!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

A colleague had a ticket come in:

quote:

Needs to know if the voicemail box if full. The DID is [redacted]. If it is she is needing more space.

Check the number in question, they have a grand total of 6 messages. After about 10 minutes of back and forth on the phone we discover that this was the main line number and not the one they were concerned about in the first place. I'm still not entirely convinced we're looking at the right number this time either. Also no, user, you can't have more mailbox space. Clear out some of the old ones if it's full up, you don't need to hoard messages from several years ago. You can even download the sound files if you want to, but none of this is our problem.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
So, I was voluntold to take some training to get certified as an Alarm Technician so we can continue to install video surveillance systems without the state jumping all over us, and I've never seen a slide in a presentation that more accurately represents "A Ticket Came In" before.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Wow, that must be very good training material

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Well fine I'm going to take my alarm and go home then.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Che Delilas posted:

Well fine I'm going to take my alarm and go home then.

(alarm goes off)

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

SEKCobra posted:

Wow, that must be very good training material

I've got to spend 22 hours in this online training course in order to get a completion, and the material is good for maybe 8 hours. You've got to interact with the course at least once every 15 minutes, else it stops counting your time. It doesn't give you any indication that it's stopped counting your time, however. If you close the browser window without clicking the "exit" button in the course, you'll lose time. If you refresh the browser window, you'll lose time.

So much fun.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Can you expense a mouse jiggler to keep it going overnight?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Axlerod posted:

Helpdesk staff generally don't like being called that.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Guy Axlerod posted:

Requires clicking on buttons, not just mouse activity. And the buttons move around.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
"You're asking me to call the help desk? Don't you know who I am???"

No, actually. No I don't. I would if you called the help desk and opened a ticket though.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm probably going to get into trouble for that one tbh, but I don't really care.

Escalation paths exist for a reason and I'm not going to bypass that because someone I don't know on a bridge call for the deployment of a completely different application is reporting an issue that hasn't been reported in the traditional way.

e: and as an aside, I don't care if the god drat CEO has a service outage, he should have to call customer service just like everyone else.

If he doesn't like the service that he gets going through the same channels as our customers, then maybe he should do something about that and stop cutting and outsourcing staff.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 4, 2018

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Requires clicking on buttons, not just mouse activity. And the buttons move around.

I had osha training exactly like that. lovely as hell

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Renegret posted:

I'm probably going to get into trouble for that one tbh, but I don't really care.

Escalation paths exist for a reason and I'm not going to bypass that because someone I don't know on a bridge call for the deployment of a completely different application is reporting an issue that hasn't been reported in the traditional way.

e: and as an aside, I don't care if the god drat CEO has a service outage, he should have to call customer service just like everyone else.

If he doesn't like the service that he gets going through the same channels as our customers, then maybe he should do something about that and stop cutting and outsourcing staff.
Take the advice of Tag and Bink and reply with "yes, but you don't know who I am so I reckon that gives me the advantage".

Then hang up.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Those monsters

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Renegret posted:

nah I pretty shamelessly give preferential treatment to AVPs and up because a) they have more important things to do with their time than wait on hold with the helpdesk and b) it means I build a relationship and positive facetime. It's precisely because of that personalized and preferential treatment that my department is getting additional oversight and permission to actually administer our domain. That will cut down the time it takes to process newhires from 3 weeks down to 1, and eliminate delays on ~30% of our ticket count where it takes 5 to 10 days to add someone to a drat security group.

Also it means I can get internal promotions and title bumps easier, my company gets a better contracting rate at the next renegotiation period, and the CEO gets to do the work he needs to do.

Standing on some moral high ground doesn't do anyone any favours.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

n0tqu1tesane posted:

So they judge how much training you're getting by the time you spend in it, not your actual absorption of any of the material? Sounds like the perfect training for corporate work.

I feel like I'd go out of my way to complete the course over the longest time period possible, guaranteeing I learned nothing. Say, 15 minutes a week.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

PirateDentist posted:

Some spammer must have used my number for a series of calls. Got three random callbacks saying I just called them last week. Same area code and first 3 prefix as my own number.

It's called neighbor spoofing and answering one of those calls confirms to the spammer than your number is valid and then they'll start using it to spam other people. I got a few calls from people asking why I called them, did some research, and now never answer my phone.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Sirotan posted:

It's called neighbor spoofing and answering one of those calls confirms to the spammer than your number is valid and then they'll start using it to spam other people. I got a few calls from people asking why I called them, did some research, and now never answer my phone.

I answered one of these "neighbor" calls and it was actually a person asking me why I called them, so I ended up explaining neighbor spoofing to them.

Now I don't answer my phone either!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

The Iron Rose posted:

nah I pretty shamelessly give preferential treatment to AVPs and up because a) they have more important things to do with their time than wait on hold with the helpdesk and b) it means I build a relationship and positive facetime. It's precisely because of that personalized and preferential treatment that my department is getting additional oversight and permission to actually administer our domain. That will cut down the time it takes to process newhires from 3 weeks down to 1, and eliminate delays on ~30% of our ticket count where it takes 5 to 10 days to add someone to a drat security group.

Also it means I can get internal promotions and title bumps easier, my company gets a better contracting rate at the next renegotiation period, and the CEO gets to do the work he needs to do.

Standing on some moral high ground doesn't do anyone any favours.

If it's not immediately obvious, I'm also horribly jaded and burnt out beyond repair short of getting a new job. About 75% of that is my management's fault. If I go above and beyond and help an executive, am I going to be recognized? Of course not, that executive will thank my VP and will never learn my name. If I'm lucky, my VP will forward the thanks to my manager but rarely does it ever reach me.

And the majority of promotions here are based off of rear end kissing and not actual performance, which is something I'm very bad at. We have an executive culture here where people are numbers that are meant to be minimized and there hasn't been a single opportunity for advancement in over a year, since I was passed up for a bigger rear end kisser. I know I need to find a new job, I've sent out hundreds of applications, but my wife is due in 7 weeks and at this point I'm not going to give up all of my banked PTO and FMLA eligibility, so I'll start searching again in a few months once my life settles down again.

At this point I'm checked out and my plan is to go along doing the bare minimum. The sick part is, I get more recognition now than I did before because I'm working so much faster since I skip out on certain steps.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Renegret posted:

The sick part is, I get more recognition now than I did before because I'm working so much faster since I skip out on certain steps.
I hear you man :smith:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

My wife's online continuing education courses have a satanic verification process. They consist of pre-recorded video lectures, but the system will interrupt the stream at random times to give you a procedurally-generated audio keyword. In order to receive credit for the course, you must type the 4-6 keywords in at the end. If you miss the keyword, whether due to a barking dog, screaming kid, or actual technical problem, you have to file a ticket and it's a tossup whether the tech will just award you credit or "let" you repeat the course.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Sirotan posted:

If a number that calls me isn't in my contacts, I don't answer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DigitalMocking posted:

If a number that calls me isn't in my contacts, I don't answer.

:same:

If it's important, they'll leave a voice mail. If they don't, oh well.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

lovely ISPs sure become a lot more responsive to tickets when you let them know the inmates are threatening to riot and the sheriff would hold them responsible.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Proteus Jones posted:

:same:

If it's important, they'll leave a voice mail. If they don't, oh well.

This is my wife's opinion, but she's left her voicemail box full for months so :shrug:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nth Doctor posted:

This is my wife's opinion, but she's left her voicemail box full for months so :shrug:

She's winning.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I told our Microsoft license reseller they need to fix their caller ID or I'll never ever pick them up when they call.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Renegret posted:

If it's not immediately obvious, I'm also horribly jaded and burnt out beyond repair short of getting a new job. About 75% of that is my management's fault. If I go above and beyond and help an executive, am I going to be recognized? Of course not, that executive will thank my VP and will never learn my name. If I'm lucky, my VP will forward the thanks to my manager but rarely does it ever reach me.

And the majority of promotions here are based off of rear end kissing and not actual performance, which is something I'm very bad at. We have an executive culture here where people are numbers that are meant to be minimized and there hasn't been a single opportunity for advancement in over a year, since I was passed up for a bigger rear end kisser. I know I need to find a new job, I've sent out hundreds of applications, but my wife is due in 7 weeks and at this point I'm not going to give up all of my banked PTO and FMLA eligibility, so I'll start searching again in a few months once my life settles down again.

At this point I'm checked out and my plan is to go along doing the bare minimum. The sick part is, I get more recognition now than I did before because I'm working so much faster since I skip out on certain steps.

Just remember its about 150 resume sent per 1 interveiw in todays market, so don't get too discouraged in your search.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Inspector_666 posted:

She's winning.

not empty quoting at all.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
A ticket came in.

quote:

Tricky links below?

"There has been a constant increase in internet-account credential (usernames and passwords) theft. Those same credentials are often used to access other accounts. In response to this, we are requiring a password reset and will be incorporating a regularly-scheduled, forced password reset into our normal operating procedures. Users will need to reset their passwords when logging into ShareFile. We believe this is an important step to continue to help our customers use our solutions securely.
If you have not recently reset your password, you may need to do so by clicking here.
For help about how to reset your password, please click here."

It appeared to come from a legit Citrix email so I asked the sender to let me take a look at the email header info. Then my boss intervened and said it is clearly a phishing scam and that the user must permanently delete the email at once.
Well it's not a phishing scam. It's just a terrible email.

e: and as punishment for pointing out the fact that he was wrong I am now being told to investigate "how they could have their company email to sign up with ShareFile"

double edit: case closed

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 5, 2018

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A ticket came in.

It appeared to come from a legit Citrix email so I asked the sender to let me take a look at the email header info. Then my boss intervened and said it is clearly a phishing scam and that the user must permanently delete the email at once.

The font used didn't render well either, in some browsers it looks like terribly broken English. I spent my morning yesterday investigating that :sigh:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A ticket came in.

e: and as punishment for pointing out the fact that he was wrong I am now being told to investigate "how they could have their company email to sign up with ShareFile"

Oh hey thanks, we just got a ticket for this from a client as well, of course our T1 the client relations manager (why aren't they calling the loving helpdesk, it's your god drat job to tell them to call the helpdesk) copy/pasted the email contents but didn't bother to attach the email to the ticket or get the original email to anyone in any way so we could look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MF_James posted:

Oh hey thanks, we just got a ticket for this from a client as well, of course our T1 the client relations manager (why aren't they calling the loving helpdesk, it's your god drat job to tell them to call the helpdesk) copy/pasted the email contents but didn't bother to attach the email to the ticket or get the original email to anyone in any way so we could look at it.

gently caress the number of times I've asked for the email to be sent only to have it forwarded a dozen times...
gently caress the number of times I've had to teach the same person how to attach an email....
gently caress the same people who do it every goddamn time and why the gently caress are they the only ones who get and report phishing attempts?