Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You really want your children's cartoon to have a pitch like a tech startup, that's a great idea.

galenanorth posted:

Yeah. I like that at the end, they mentioned that Bluto now tries to take Popeye's spinach, which makes me think "why didn't Bluto try to eat spinach to counter Popeye's eating of spinach to win the fight, if it has such magical powers in-universe" but now I am thinking "Why doesn't Bluto get his own spinach from the grocery store? Is Popeye's spinach now some special magical spinach?"

Way back in the original first appearance of Popeye his source of power was a special hen, but when it got retconned he was just an extremely tough guy with an insane all-spinach diet that no other human cares to attempt.

Then for fun cinematic moments they made it so the moment he eats the spinach he gets imbued with godly power, but I think the subtext was still that you too could be as strong as Popeye if you follow health advice from 90 years ago that was mistaken even back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

galenanorth posted:

Yeah. I like that at the end, they mentioned that Bluto now tries to take Popeye's spinach, which makes me think "why didn't Bluto try to eat spinach to counter Popeye's eating of spinach to win the fight, if it has such magical powers in-universe" but now I am thinking "Why doesn't Bluto get his own spinach from the grocery store? Is Popeye's spinach now some special magical spinach?"

The spinach is now a metaphor for methamphetamine.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
The Popeye animation made me think of Disney's reboot of Mickey Mouse but not anywhere near as good.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It seems really wrong for the colors to be uniform like someone used the paint bucket tool to fill in all the ground to be the same shade and hue of green, and then they're always bright colors for appealing to very young kids. Then there's the uniform line thickness, which is allowed to vary in the 1980s reboot. Then there's everything else

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 3, 2018

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but didn't Popeye have 3 nephews like Donald Duck?

Edit: Come to think of it, the 2 are also sailors with speech impediments.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

He did in fact and they were more annoying too.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I didn't know I needed to see Angry Donald vs Spinach Popeye until this very moment.

And then they can beat the poo poo out of Bluto and the Beagle Boys.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It looks like it was made in Go Animate.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9lIt5w3OIg

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/PopeyeTweetsk/status/1069647232419414016

If you have to explain your intentions with your cartoon in a long Twitter thread, you hosed up.

the biggest news out of this to me is that Popeye has an official twitter?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Okay, someone definitely wished on the monkey's paw to bring back these old characters. Who's next, Oswald the Rabbit?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Epic Mickey already introduced Oswald into the pantheon. They already brought back Rocky and Bullwinkle. Next up is superchicken.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Beachcomber posted:

I didn't know I needed to see Angry Donald vs Spinach Popeye until this very moment.
A brawl where you can't understand what either of the fighters are saying.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Epic Mickey already introduced Oswald into the pantheon. They already brought back Rocky and Bullwinkle. Next up is superchicken.

Nah it will be Crash Cargo next

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Nah it will be Crash Cargo next

Let's just say speed racer parody Tom Slick.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/PopeyeTweetsk/status/1069647232419414016

If you have to explain your intentions with your cartoon in a long Twitter thread, you hosed up.

This does explain why Popeye has all the spinach available in the setting.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Popeye's got a very different demeanor than Donald though. Donald's all about get rich quick schemes, while Popeye is more comfortable with his place in the world. Donald gets mad, Popeye just has an outer shell of mean, and half of that is just the face.

Mraagvpeine posted:

4. Pipeye, Peepeye, Poopeye and Pupeye. He also had an adopted son, but most of the cartoons leave that out because that's where the weirder lore of the comics starts.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Popeye's got a very different demeanor than Donald though. Donald's all about get rich quick schemes, while Popeye is more comfortable with his place in the world. Donald gets mad, Popeye just has an outer shell of mean, and half of that is just the face.

4. Pipeye, Peepeye, Poopeye and Pupeye. He also had an adopted son, but most of the cartoons leave that out because that's where the weirder lore of the comics starts.

You mean Swee'Pea, or did he have another adopted son?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

There's also this one from the short-lived Popeye and Son 80s cartoon (not adopted though. But Swee'Pea's got some really weird lore stuff), Junior, on the left:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Doom Goon posted:

There's also this one from the short-lived Popeye and Son 80s cartoon (not adopted though. But Swee'Pea's got some really weird lore stuff), Junior, on the left:

is that supposed to be shaggy from scooby doo on the right

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The basketball hair is an odd choice, but compelling.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The Popeye animation made me think of Disney's reboot of Mickey Mouse but not anywhere near as good.
You mean the demented Ren and Stumpy esque one?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

SardonicTyrant posted:

You mean the demented Ren and Stumpy esque one?

The one on YouTube? I didn't think it was all that demented. It's a simplified style with over exaggerated sight gags. The strangest thing was the frankly horrific zombie goofy.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The one on YouTube? I didn't think it was all that demented. It's a simplified style with over exaggerated sight gags. The strangest thing was the frankly horrific zombie goofy.
I'm pretty sure the Potatoland short would be right at home in Ren and Stimpy

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

And the still-living pinata screaming as children rip out and consume its gooey innards. :wtc:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Payndz posted:

And the still-living pinata screaming as children rip out and consume its gooey innards. :wtc:

Can't hate that one, it had The Three Caballeros and Mickey going full Samurai Jack.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Payndz posted:

I did not see that one, so I can't comment on it. However I would say it feels closer to two stupid dogs or twisted tales of felix the cat.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3gQ117IKkM

Never expected this of all things.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

That’s some really cheap-looking CGI there, but I guess I shouldn’t expect Pixar quality from the BBC. Also, completely hiding the absolute horror of the story so as to traumatise the little ones. Good. Goooood.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I did not see that one, so I can't comment on it. However I would say it feels closer to two stupid dogs or twisted tales of felix the cat.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's actually pretty good.

I dunno why pinata bandits would think it was a good idea to attack a birthday party, but hey.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

That’s some really cheap-looking CGI there, but I guess I shouldn’t expect Pixar quality from the BBC. Also, completely hiding the absolute horror of the story so as to traumatise the little ones. Good. Goooood.

I remember reading about this new CGI movie - they said they were cutting down the violence and bringing it back to what watership down was about : Rabbits being Rabbits.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I remember reading about this new CGI movie - they said they were cutting down the violence and bringing it back to what watership down was about : Rabbits being Rabbits.

And rabbits exist to be brutally murdered. Got it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

If this is the Watership Down thing I mind Netflix talking 'bout a while back, I'd temper your expectations.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 5, 2018

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Some Miraculous season 3 spoilers from a Comicon in Brazil: Miraculouses (Miraculii?) can be combined. So we're going to get Dragon Bug, Snake Noir, and from the looks of the concept art Catbug and Lady Noir, which both sound like 'ships.

There was also a lot of stuff about the Miraculous movie, which is now animated, not live-action as previously planned, due in 2021, and a musical - "a cross between Spider-Man and Frozen". It's also supposed to take place directly after season 5, and go all over the world. This being Zag, though, I'll believe it when I see it. What happened to the Halloween, Chinese and New York specials, hmm?

EDIT: link to the spoily concept art. Marinette with the Cat Miraculous is basically Catwoman, and I have no doubt Rule 34 is going to be proven true yet again as a result.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Dec 7, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Payndz posted:

There was also a lot of stuff about the Miraculous movie, which is now animated, not live-action as previously planned, due in 2021, and a musical - "a cross between Spider-Man and Frozen". It's also supposed to take place directly after season 5, and go all over the world. This being Zag, though, I'll believe it when I see it. What happened to the Halloween, Chinese and New York specials, hmm?

That sounds cool as hell, but I super follow you with that skepticism.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So I finished watching Avatar:TLA tonight. Man, what a ride. I’m glad I finally watched it all from beginning to end. Now what do I do...? Korra, I guess?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

The_Doctor posted:

So I finished watching Avatar:TLA tonight. Man, what a ride. I’m glad I finally watched it all from beginning to end. Now what do I do...? Korra, I guess?

You poor sap. I'll pray for you. If Book 2 becomes too difficult,it's OK to skip it. Book 4 has a clip show that'll catch you up anyway.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

There are also the comic book sequels that provide closure to the Zuko's mother subplot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've been putting on Scooby movies in the background, and they're great for something you don't really need to pay attention, because you look for a little bit, and something insane is happening like Velma trying to kill everybody by driving off a cliff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29zn5-yuOFg

Frankencreepy's ridiculously deep pulls kinda make me want to watch some of the original series.

Mraagvpeine posted:

There are also the comic book sequels that provide closure to the Zuko's mother subplot.

The books basically handle most of the themes that Korra tried to do, but better. Industrialization in a fantasy world, decolonization politics, reunion of the water tribes, most of it's right there.