Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Johny-on-the-Spot posted:

Looking good lofi! I really like the atmosphere you established in the first page.

Thanks! I've been reading Chaboute recently, and one thing that's really struck me is how well he takes the time to establish tone and setting. It's something I want to steal take inspiration from, and one of the reasons I'm moving away from shorter comics.

lofi fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEEXXX
Nov 23, 2018

Johny-on-the-Spot posted:

Happy Halloween Comic Thread!

I'm planning on refining it over this weekend, but I wanted to make sure to post it today, so any feedback would be appreciated!

This is SO awesome!

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
Glad to hear you liked it. I'm pretty proud of it,

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
oops I gave literally every female character in my comic a ponytail, help

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Give all the men and every animal a ponytail, then don't comment on it at all.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Make sure the sun has one as well.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Does anyone know much about the webcomics ecosystem on Instagram? I'm looking for a place to post updates to my comic and boost readership that isn't imploding due to extremely poor decisions implemented by idiots.

Basically, what I (used to?) do on Tumblr is post a cropped section of a comic page and link to the full page itself in each post in tandem with the comic's update schedule. I started doing this in 2013 or so, about 2 years into the comic's run, so I started ~200 pages in. But now I'm at almost 800 pages and I feel like starting so late in the story on an entirely new site would just be weird. Would it be a good idea to make posts about each page starting at the very beginning, one page per day, until I catch up with my regular update schedule?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
How well an audience you pull on Insta really depends on your Comics’s genre. Most every popular comic on there are more slice of life ala Adam Tots.

but, being able to post your projects in between comic updates does help draw in fans who may not necessarily be into reading comics, and if you use a business account you can promote your post to people who don’t follow you or put links to latest page in your story.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I swear to god that this is a collection of every single color palette used by digital cartoonists. Everything is so warm like a summer sunset. Why does everything have to be so red?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It means good sleep hygiene

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Shows up better on monitors?

Maybe people just prefer warm colours, feels more comfortable and... warm...

e: Also, I just saved the image, so soon there'll be even more with those palettes :P

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Blood is red, and everyone is filled with blood.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

lofi posted:

Shows up better on monitors?

Maybe people just prefer warm colours, feels more comfortable and... warm...

e: Also, I just saved the image, so soon there'll be even more with those palettes :P

It's just this phenomenon I've noticed that's done by a lot of amateur and fan artists. I'm a hard black line and shape kind of guy with bold colors, but I guess ultramarine is just verboten and I never got the memo.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

All colours are for scrubs. :colbert:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Star Man posted:

It's just this phenomenon I've noticed that's done by a lot of amateur and fan artists. I'm a hard black line and shape kind of guy with bold colors, but I guess ultramarine is just verboten and I never got the memo.

Look at your own avatar.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fangz posted:

Look at your own avatar.
ahaha

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I like all of those colors :shobon:

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
There's a fun idea that n there, maybe picking someone else's color scheme and producing a comic out of it. I'm not sure how to do it, but I'd be all for it. I definitely enjoy working in more restrictive projects.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
most colors seem warm to me, mostly because the sun, the warmest thing on earth, causes them. except blue, blue is crazy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

blue is air tainting the light of the sun. :mad:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

:same:

I love the hard contrasts of black and white, and the look and feel of manga in particular. I should really learn to get more comfortable with colour, but I can see myself only ever really using colour to accent things, ultimately.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Counter argument for color. I was raised on grungy comix and zines but a lot of that style (including manga) was informed by limitations in printing. With near unlimited colors on monitors and advances in printing those limitations are practically nonexistent today and I loooove when manga has a few colored pages as a bonus. You don't have to go full concept artist but just a little accent or restricted palette goes a long way.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Anecdotally black and white books sell a *lot* worse at conventions etc in the west.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Fangz posted:

Anecdotally black and white books sell a *lot* worse at conventions etc in the west.
I can back this up. I used to have people come to my table, ask if anything was in colour, and then leave when I said no. Now I only print full-colour comics, and we've seen a lot more sales.

I think manga gets a free pass on being in B&W, but if the product looks western, audiences demand colour.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Philistines.

It's a good point, though, colour does draw the eye. Shame it takes so loving long to do.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Manga usually has really intricate shading and tones which I think helps elevate it in the public eye over black and white. Also you're getting more volume for your money either in collections or the disposable phone books printed on cheap paper.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
What's in an anthology contract?

Hey, I annotated our anthology contract to explain how it clarifies expectations, and protects both publishers and creators. If you're starting an anthology, zine, or small collaboration, it might be a useful starting point.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Published another compilation album in Dutch from my gags and short stories I made for Spirou, a Belgian comic magazine,
published in French (making it very complicated with all the translations).
Anyway, I'm grateful I get to make that comic. But my more alternative graphic novel has been on hold for forever;
I decided the try and get a government grand, now that I found a small publisher who wants to publish it. But chances are slim.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

drat, that looks really fun! Good luck getting funding, I want to read it!

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
i'm gonna be doing a short comic for practice eventually. my only real obstacle is what to write at the moment.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Thinking about comics again

thinking about making em

I made some concept art on my phone while out of town

Ideally the art would look something like this but cleaner and finished.

animesiter
Apr 12, 2005
I recently started working again on my comic "Patchwork Family" after an 8 year hiatus. It's a 4 panel comic strip format comedy story of sorts. I finished up the nearly complete chapter and published volume 1 https://www.amazon.com/Patchwork-Family-Jeff-Gant/dp/179083323X and began work on volume 2 https://www.deviantart.com/animeister (I used to have a webpage for my comic but I currently only have my deviantart gallery, but everything is on there)

I've never been the best artist or writer, but I hope it has a charm to it still

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

The first one I saw was a knockers joke. Ok, click on another randomly, it's a knockers joke. You might want some fresh material, some that isn't women = tits.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Hey, I got accepted to exhibit at TCAF somehow! I'm as surprised as you!

Well, it does help that I applied with some friends of mine as a "collective". We're doing a small anthology of short comics we've made, here is a sample of the one I'm working on:

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

I wanna make a webcomic....but i'm very anxious about what folks might think about it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Buddy, that could literally be the thread title.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Buddy, that could literally be the thread title.

well poo poo your right.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Fruity20 posted:

I wanna make a webcomic....but i'm very anxious about what folks might think about it.
realtalk this thread is very nice and understanding and will never be cruel for the sake of being cruel, it's a special place

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
No ones jumped down my throat, and I've spammed the thread with my half-baked comics. This is a good space to post whatever comic you have get some real feedback from people who are just as dedicated to the craft as you are. Feel free to share your comic with us Fruity20! And remember, there's no such thing as bad press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

i'm not home yet, but i'm in the middle of doing some preplanning. maybe i might link my comic soon enough.

and question for you comic makers: what fonts do you use? and where did ya get them?

Fruity20 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 5, 2019