Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

On the other hand, it might make them focus on bringing things to proper conclusions instead of leaving them open, which is the opposite of a problem these days. (Note: I'm not criticizing DDS3 because it actually did this very well)

I think the only reason we're getting these Punisher and JJ seasons is because they were already done before they announced that they're shutting down every show so I don't know if that'll hold up or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

RareAcumen posted:

I think the only reason we're getting these Punisher and JJ seasons is because they were already done before they announced that they're shutting down every show so I don't know if that'll hold up or not.

Actually yeah, never mind.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

RareAcumen posted:

Exactly. I’m not expecting either show was written to conclude the series. It’s gonna feel very Luke Cage S2 in terms of “clearly setting up the next season”.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
One thing the death of Netflix Marvel will mean is finally, FINALLY, they'll stop killing off tertiary characters they introduced an episode before to give the protagonist motivation.

Every single goddamn series did this. If you weren't a named character from the comics its basically guaranteed that you will die, and it will be a really hamfisted way to add pathos. God drat will it be a relief for this to end.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
If there's one takeaway from Netflix Marvel, it's 'people who own paintings are evil'. It's a really weirdly specific quirk that keeps coming up again and again.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mike N Eich posted:

One thing the death of Netflix Marvel will mean is finally, FINALLY, they'll stop killing off tertiary characters they introduced an episode before to give the protagonist motivation.

Every single goddamn series did this. If you weren't a named character from the comics its basically guaranteed that you will die, and it will be a really hamfisted way to add pathos. God drat will it be a relief for this to end.

Even some of the named characters got clipped though. Ben Urich, Owlsley...I'm forgetting somebody I think

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
The Whizzer

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Nuke got to appear in JJS2 just long enough to look like he was on a combination of meth and PCP, then scream offscreen.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I hope Punisher season 2 is really good. It still has the potential to be a good run all the way through if they're wrapping it up after this season.

I hope it ends on a fierce cliffhanger because they were so sure they'd get renewed.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I honestly wouldn't mind if they let Netflix keep JJ and The Punisher as sort of a tv version of the dumb Max line Marvel comics for adults thing. Since Disney Marvel doesn't really seem to be that keen on doing anything more edgy themselves.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If only Jessica Jones Season 2 hadn't been the worst season of television ever made...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

If only Jessica Jones Season 2 hadn't been the worst season of television ever made...

Worse than the defenders?

Svensken
May 29, 2010
Iron Fist Season 1.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
*shrug*

I quite like JJS2.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

*shrug*

I quite like JJS2.

I liked both seasons of Luke Cage.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I liked both seasons of Luke Cage.

Yeah, I thought the second season was pretty good. I've been thinking about going back and rewatching the first season given the way everything shook out in the second. Mariah's a great character with a powerhouse performance behind her, and I think her arc is what made that show as good as it was.

I suspect that a third season would have suffered for her absence tbh.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Andrigaar posted:

Nuke got to appear in JJS2 just long enough to look like he was on a combination of meth and PCP, then scream offscreen.

I forgot about Stick too. Elektra probably doesn't count.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

DrNutt posted:

I honestly wouldn't mind if they let Netflix keep JJ and The Punisher as sort of a tv version of the dumb Max line Marvel comics for adults thing. Since Disney Marvel doesn't really seem to be that keen on doing anything more edgy themselves.

Nah there's not enough money in that. We'll get a g rated punished/spider man team up cartoon. Rip

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Someone hasn't watched the last seasons of Dexter. You lucky prick. But yeah, Defender's and Iron Fist were worse.

One thing that was really weird about JJ 2 was how absurdly pissed Jessica was at the doctor who saved her mom. I get that she's linking it back to her own accident but it really did seem like the story wanted to present him as more of a villain than he was.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m glad I live watched Dexter until the very end because no other television show has come close to being as bad as that.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m glad I live watched Dexter until the very end because no other television show has come close to being as bad as that.

Dexter was such a beautiful show to hate watch live at the end.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

lmao even in this gif you can see the blur over the stunt driver/mannequin's face

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 5, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

lmao even in this gif you can see the blur over the stunt driver/mannequin's face

Ahahaha was this the finale of (spoilers?)Sons of Anarchy? Jax driving into a semi? Man that show fell to pieces. It always felt like a guilty pleasure, but at some point after the Ireland storyline I just couldn't take it anymore. Props to Kurt Sutter for having the guts, pre-#MeToo movement, to write himself a scene where he masturbates onscreen while the only attractive young woman in the cast holds his hand jfc.

But yeah, that show wasn't nearly as good as Dexter was. The first 2(?) seasons of Dexter were bordering on amazing television, and it was just an enormous and depressing plunge to where it ended up. Sons was never anything but fun trashy male power fantasies.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Phenotype posted:

Ahahaha was this the finale of (spoilers?)Sons of Anarchy? Jax driving into a semi? Man that show fell to pieces. It always felt like a guilty pleasure, but at some point after the Ireland storyline I just couldn't take it anymore. Props to Kurt Sutter for having the guts, pre-#MeToo movement, to write himself a scene where he masturbates onscreen while the only attractive young woman in the cast holds his hand jfc.

But yeah, that show wasn't nearly as good as Dexter was. The first 2(?) seasons of Dexter were bordering on amazing television, and it was just an enormous and depressing plunge to where it ended up. Sons was never anything but fun trashy male power fantasies.

He Jesus'd into a semi and then his blood ran past a convenient piece of bread on the side of the road and looked like wine lmfao. God I miss when that show was just supposed to be trashy Hamlet on bikes.

Dex at least has a good endpoint in season 4. But then it just keeps going .......

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

esperterra posted:

Dex at least has a good endpoint in season 4. But then it just keeps going .......

For FOUR more seasons. By the end Dexter was a loving untouchable superhero of murder and the show never comes loving close to ending it on a right note. It almost, almost had a good thing with the season 6 finale but then squandered and dragged 2 seasons out of something that should have been one season at most.

Like season 7(?) I think begins with Dexter murdering someone at an INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT. and not like a quick stab and go. He drugs someone, drags him (in a wheelchair he stole) from a restroom within the terminal into a restricted secured cargo area, sets up a kill table, preps the dude for his serial killing ways, then kills the guy and disposes the body somehow and no one, literally no one, gets wind of it.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 5, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I didn't even mind season 5, tbh. Wrapping up his grief over Rita would have been a good end for the series. But the new showrunners idolized him too much and completely lost the point.

Relevant tbh b/c Scott Buck.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I waited 8 years for Dexter to finally end in prison on death row or die while trying to resist arrest, as he should have. Instead he became a lumberjack.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Field Mousepad posted:

Nah there's not enough money in that. We'll get a g rated punished/spider man team up cartoon. Rip

I mean I wouldn't mind seeing the Punisher/Spidey since that's where Frank first appeared but... If any R rated superhero gets to team up with Spidey it's probably going to be Deadpool post-Fox buyout.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Nephthys posted:

One thing that was really weird about JJ 2 was how absurdly pissed Jessica was at the doctor who saved her mom. I get that she's linking it back to her own accident but it really did seem like the story wanted to present him as more of a villain than he was.

I found it odd too. At first the doctor was set up to be a villain, before Jessica found out about her mom. Then after the reveal and finding out the truth, she is still pissed at him because he kept her mom in hiding, I guess?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Joe Chill posted:

I found it odd too. At first the doctor was set up to be a villain, before Jessica found out about her mom. Then after the reveal and finding out the truth, she is still pissed at him because he kept her mom in hiding, I guess?

She’s still pissed at him because he experimented on her without consent.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

bring back old gbs posted:

Good god its even worse in the video, it looks like he's slowed to an absolute crawl.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKXFJIB3YQM

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Good god its even worse in the video, it looks like he's slowed to an absolute crawl.

Good to see that Chiklis is still getting work at least.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Hahaha I'm so glad I gave up on that show after they went to Ireland

e: I can't describe how much I love that Chiklis sees a giant column of cop cars, flashers blazing, and never once thinks to slow down prior to Jax going Suicide Jesus

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 5, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The second best part, after the Jesus analogy already mentioned, is that there was an entire sub arc of Jax coming face to face with all the damage and destruction his father caused when he suicided by Semi.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Ah that's right, I forgot she wasn't a meta.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

She also kind of hates him because of regular stepdad resentment, probably. As in she kind of doesn’t totally approve of a lazy hippie failure dating her mom.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

esperterra posted:

I didn't even mind season 5, tbh. Wrapping up his grief over Rita would have been a good end for the series. But the new showrunners idolized him too much and completely lost the point.

Relevant tbh b/c Scott Buck.

Season 5 was good. The Barrel murders were legitimately creepy and so was the villain, the relationship between Dex and his rebound chick was nice and Deb's story was actually pretty compelling. The big issue imo with it is that they spent a whole season building up Deb coming around on vigilantism and basically catching him in the act and going 'actually its cool, I support what you're doing', yet they still refused to commit in the end. It was the perfect time for it and not pulling it off was really underwhelming and soured the whole thing. Also his new gf getting 'cured' of her need to kill at the end and shuffling back to her home planet was lame as hell. I know she was a guest star but god it was inelegant.

Then season 6 was a loving trainwreck and it all went downhill from there.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

She's still pissed at him because he experimented on her without consent.

Yeah but it was that or she died, right? You can't exactly ask permission from someone in a coma whether or not you should save their life.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 5, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Nephthys posted:

Yeah but it was that or she died, right? You can't exactly ask permission from someone in a coma whether or not you should save their life.

No, but JJ is still suffering from PTSD from what Killgrave did to her. I don’t really think it’s out of line for her to hate another man who did things to her body without her consent, especially when the things the doctor did made her a target for Killgrave to begin with.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

Good to see that Chiklis is still getting work at least.

What the hell why is that randomly Michael Chiklis? Is he just doing a favor for Sutter?

How did Beef with Clay turn out?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Like season 7(?) I think begins with Dexter murdering someone at an INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT. and not like a quick stab and go. He drugs someone, drags him (in a wheelchair he stole) from a restroom within the terminal into a restricted secured cargo area, sets up a kill table, preps the dude for his serial killing ways, then kills the guy and disposes the body somehow and no one, literally no one, gets wind of it.

Haha yeah, this was the example I was gonna use too. And I might not even have minded the Adventures of Murder Batman if they'd had good stories to tell... but nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Nephthys posted:

Season 5 was good. The Barrel murders were legitimately creepy and so was the villain, the relationship between Dex and his rebound chick was nice and Deb's story was actually pretty compelling. The big issue imo with it is that they spent a whole season building up Deb coming around on vigilantism and basically catching him in the act and going 'actually its cool, I support what you're doing', yet they still refused to commit in the end. It was the perfect time for it and not pulling it off was really underwhelming and soured the whole thing. Also his new gf getting 'cured' of her need to kill at the end and shuffling back to her home planet was lame as hell. I know she was a guest star but god it was inelegant.

Then season 6 was a loving trainwreck and it all went downhill from there.

I would've like S5 more if they would've done something interesting with the villain being a millionaire, and they would've had Deb discover them. They could still save the serial killer reveal for later, just have him tell her that helped his girlfriend minimize forensic evidence and keep tabs on the investigation. Instead they kicked the can down the road in a lame way.