Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
This got posted on Reddit in the BR sub, and dang that gumbo looks good at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5XXU47q9js

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

The_Doctor posted:

This got posted on Reddit in the BR sub, and dang that gumbo looks good at the end.

I like how he fries chicken in the oil he uses for the roux! I'm gonna try that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I like how he fries chicken in the oil he uses for the roux! I'm gonna try that.

Yeah, that’s pretty genius. I’m generally bad at making a roux for some reason, but that looks like it might help me some. I’ve also never seen fried chicken used in gumbo?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, that’s pretty genius. I’m generally bad at making a roux for some reason, but that looks like it might help me some. I’ve also never seen fried chicken used in gumbo?

I assumed it was to serve alongside it?

the other thing blowing my mind is using seasoned flour, I just assumed you'd burn the spices too much for that to be feasible

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

eke out posted:

I assumed it was to serve alongside it?

the other thing blowing my mind is using seasoned flour, I just assumed you'd burn the spices too much for that to be feasible

No, he puts it in around 32:30.

I've browned seasoned chicken before, and rendered some fat off of it to combine with oil or lard for the roux, then put the chicken back in. The seasoning doesn't really burn in any bad way, it just gets dark and difficult to distinguish from specks of burnt roux. But as long as you are confident in your roux cooking it shouldn't be an issue.

Prudhomme is also a "cook the roux then add it to the stock" guy as opposed to vice versa. His etouffee recipe is the same way. I always do it the opposite way and add stock to the roux, blending and smoothing it as I go.

Great video, really shows how many different (correct) ways there are to make gumbo.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The_Doctor posted:

god that man loving loved food

the way he talks about the jambalaya while he's cooking is like the parody orson welles from the critic. but for real.

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, that’s pretty genius. I’m generally bad at making a roux for some reason, but that looks like it might help me some.

when the Daube Craze hit the thread a year ago I did a roux in the same oil I browned meat in and it worked great. I thought it was hosed up because bits of meat were stuck to the pot and blackening, and black bits are supposed to mean your roux is bad. but it was fine, blackened meat bits are not the same as blackened flour bits.

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve also never seen fried chicken used in gumbo?
everyone that ate it died of heart disease before now

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I've gone all over the spectrum in how I make my roux and add it to stuff vs add things into it. This is a great vid, thanks for sharing. Always fun to see another take on it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Phil Moscowitz posted:

There was an article about gumbo in Saveur a few years ago that had chicken and sausage gumbo done that way. I never got around to cooking the recipe but I remember thinking it was genius.

https://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/fried-chicken-and-andouille-gumbo/

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

No, he puts it in around 32:30.

haha i must've instantly censored it out since it seems so completely wrong

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Doom Rooster posted:

since there is no objective reason (other than style) to hate on him as far as I can tell.
It's this. He dresses like he is in Smashmouth and it is a natural human instinct to hate that.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The_Doctor posted:

I need to buy Prudhomme’s books. Most of them are around or under $10 on Kindle.

I also need to make that chicken and sausage gumbo.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I really enjoy the Chef Paul books but Seasoned America was kind of a miss for me. I'm sure the recipes are good but none of it really seemed like stuff I'd want to cook. That might not make any sense though.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Pretty sure Louisiana Kitchen is the only one you’d need.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

eke out posted:

haha i must've instantly censored it out since it seems so completely wrong

you shut your mouth, this is revelatory and sounds so right

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Pretty sure Louisiana Kitchen is the only one you’d need.

That’s the standard, yeah, but Prudhomme Family Cookbook and Fork in the Road look pretty good too. I’ll probably pick those up as well.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Klyith posted:

when the Daube Craze hit the thread a year ago I did a roux in the same oil I browned meat in and it worked great. I thought it was hosed up because bits of meat were stuck to the pot and blackening, and black bits are supposed to mean your roux is bad. but it was fine, blackened meat bits are not the same as blackened flour bits.

Man I gotta make me a Daube sometime soon.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I've mentioned the in-laws' second freezer before but while I was there for Christmas I was in there, and again was I awestruck by the thing. Keep in mind there are two people who live in this house, and my wife is an only child. We send our kids there periodically but 85% of the year it's just them. This isn't really cajun cooking but it's pretty typical of cajun and southern hospitality I think.

This is the third reefer in the house. The main one in the kitchen is a big-rear end double door monstrosity always full at all times with pretty much everything. For example, over xmas it had (in addition to the standard condiments, dairy/eggs, and produce) a gallon of shucked oysters, a ham, two pounds of blue crab claws, pint of egg nog, etc. and so on.

The secondary and tertiary fridges are in the laundry room. #2 usually contains alcohol, beverages, and whatever meats are in line for consumption. This weekend, in part, it housed the 8 lb prime rib and various pies and cakes we were going to eat for Christmas, including my MIL's banana pudding, for which I found a good use as seen below.

That rib was pretty goddamn good by the way.

#3 is the freezer and it looks like this:

I was so surprised how bare it seemed I took a picture. Here's what you are looking at.

We have, scattered throughout, about 30 lbs of shrimp frozen in water.

These come in handy for many things, such as the gumbo my FIL was making from scratch when we pulled up on Sunday night.

Then we have the blue crabs and maque choux, and assorted stuff that I didn't look at.

A couple packages of crawfish tails because you have to have those on hand at all times. Bottom drawer is mostly shelled pecans.

More shrimp. I think that's pureed strawberries at the bottom and some gumbo on the right and in the back.

In the door we have etouffee and more shrimp (lol).

Jumbo lump crabmeat (frozen in milk because that's how you keep it so they say), dips, roux, and crawfish Monica sauce.

In the foil is another 6lb bone in rib roast because they weren't sure how much they needed for five adults and a few kids. Underneath the roast is the ice cream machine bucket---if you want to make ice cream this has to be frozen, so of course you have to keep it in the freezer just in case. If you have three of these then you have the space.

The banana pudding found its way on top of my bourbon milk punch. Elevated bananas foster basically.

Merry Christmas et joyeux Noël!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

That Works posted:

It was the same for me. I always thought he was some kind of prick, or just a loud idiot, but then I read the stuff I linked earlier / heard a few other things about him and realized it was just me that was being silly about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trRc1_CATfo&t=129s

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Well I figured out my problem when using the red beans & rice recipe in the OPs. 3 quarts is waaaaaay too much water, at least for soaked beans. Cooked it covered for an hour and a half (ish) and simmered for about another hour and it was still nowhere near the right consistency. Ended up pouring off a bunch of liquid and that was still too soupy, but close enough. Last time, I made it for my parents and my dad got tired of waiting, so he cooked in some dried split peas, which was good but it wasn't really red beans and rice at that point (the peas changed the flavor in a way I didn't really expect but I don't remember exactly what they did because it was a while ago)
e: actually it's still way thinner than I thought so looks like it's gonna be red bean soup and rice

Moatman fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 30, 2018

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/08/dining/gumbo-recipes-new-orleans.html

This article mentions the Indian-flavored gumbo I mentioned earlier in the thread, from Saffron. Interesting read.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

My brother in-law was real sick a while back and his wife was slammed taking care of him and 3 kids. Neither of them are particularly good or experienced cooks (both yankees) and I made a big pot of gumbo for them. This christmas we bought them an instant pot as they were kinda getting into cooking a bit more. He just wrote me telling me how much he and his wife loved the gumbo I made them months ago and that he had tried to make an instant pot gumbo recipe (I have no idea which one?) and it came out OK, but he was interested in making a good / proper one.

Does anyone have a particularly good video or bulletproof gumbo recipe for a novice? I feel like I could write up a decent one for him, but a video might be nice for someone more novice to this. I was gonna tell him to use the instant pot to make the stock and do the rest more traditionally.

Thinking just chicken, sausage and okra gumbo based on ingredient availability (Rural Massachusetts).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

That Works posted:

My brother in-law was real sick a while back and his wife was slammed taking care of him and 3 kids. Neither of them are particularly good or experienced cooks (both yankees) and I made a big pot of gumbo for them. This christmas we bought them an instant pot as they were kinda getting into cooking a bit more. He just wrote me telling me how much he and his wife loved the gumbo I made them months ago and that he had tried to make an instant pot gumbo recipe (I have no idea which one?) and it came out OK, but he was interested in making a good / proper one.

Does anyone have a particularly good video or bulletproof gumbo recipe for a novice? I feel like I could write up a decent one for him, but a video might be nice for someone more novice to this. I was gonna tell him to use the instant pot to make the stock and do the rest more traditionally.

Thinking just chicken, sausage and okra gumbo based on ingredient availability (Rural Massachusetts).

I might suggest file rather than okra as your thickener, if only because veggies like okra may not be readily available. A lot of people in Massachusetts get their vegetables locally, just keep that in mind as an alternative if they can't get it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Good thought. I've been lucky to find sliced frozen Okra in the stores up here at least but it's not guaranteed. Might send him a bottle of file.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

That Works posted:

I followed this the first time I made it myself (starting at 5:50 or so), just tell him to ignore anything involving shrimp if he wants to-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HBPHRDEt_Q

Also if your BIL has any sort of Asian grocer nearby, they usually have okra available.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Jar of roux, frozen mirepoix mix, water, salt, pepper, and whatever meats he wants. Bulletproof.

Substitute jar and frozen for fresh stuff when they are more comfortable.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
You guys are being weird. I live in a small-medium city in Ohio and have no problem finding frozen and fresh okra, file, jars of roux all of that stuff in the local grocery stores. They even have a little "southern/cajun" section.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Meijer, or elsewhere? The Meijer near me has a little section like that, and pre-made etouffee and dark brick/brown roux.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Human Tornada posted:

You guys are being weird. I live in a small-medium city in Ohio and have no problem finding frozen and fresh okra, file, jars of roux all of that stuff in the local grocery stores. They even have a little "southern/cajun" section.

Can confirm from western NY. Though we don't have a separate cajun/creole section, it's mostly just spread out over the various other departments.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Human Tornada posted:

I just visited my mom a month ago in small town Mass. and was at the two places she shops for groceries - the farmer's market where she gets some produce, and the co-op where she gets (almost) everything else. Now I wasn't looking for frozen okra, that's certainly possible, but I'm about 90% sure it wasn't available fresh at the time at the co-op. Absolutely not at the farmer's market.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anybody ever made their own king cake? Seems like a lot or work and Rouses makes a pretty good one, but might also be fun.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anybody ever made their own king cake? Seems like a lot or work and Rouses makes a pretty good one, but might also be fun.

This is a pretty quick and easy one.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It's bread making. Not a ton of work if you're used to making breads and cinnamon buns from scratch etc. More just work wait work wait kinda deal.

It's fun to do now and then but yeah if you can get a good one it's maybe not worth the effort.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That Works posted:

It's bread making. Not a ton of work if you're used to making breads and cinnamon buns from scratch etc. More just work wait work wait kinda deal.

It's fun to do now and then but yeah if you can get a good one it's maybe not worth the effort.

This is how I feel about the process. Also one of those things (like for example pho) that you can just buy. Speaking of I had the Dong Phuong king cake last week, pretty drat good. My favorites are the moist, frosted kinds.

Rouse’s is fine in a pinch but I like the Langenstein’s selection for supermarkets.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I think I had in mind a cake/quickbread, but of course king cake is actually real yeast dough with some structure. I enjoy making real bread because homemade bread is awesome, but not sure if i'll go to the trouble for something to nibble on. The local 100 yr old white flour and sugar and petit-four sort of bakery (good french bread, but none of your whole wheat 'artisanal' crap) here makes a pretty good king cake as well, even though my dad says they're not something he ever grew up with at mardi gras and are just another way Louisiana is trying to take over and claim everything mardi gras.

Cooking red beans tomorrow, in any case.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I don't know if they are still popular / available but when I was growing up on the west bank there was always the option of the donut king cakes which were just big giant cream filled cinnamon donut loops that got glazed then hit with the king cake sugar. Not a traditional king-cake but look the part and were tasty as hell.

Might be a good quick-bread kind of option, just make a giant donut and glaze it up in green purple and yellow.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

That Works posted:

I don't know if they are still popular / available but when I was growing up on the west bank there was always the option of the donut king cakes which were just big giant cream filled cinnamon donut loops that got glazed then hit with the king cake sugar. Not a traditional king-cake but look the part and were tasty as hell.

Tastee's Donuts still does this - the old McKenzie's recipe - and it's great.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ulmont posted:

Tastee's Donuts still does this - the old McKenzie's recipe - and it's great.

Unf.

Yes. I think I miss these more than the actual king cakes.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Isn't a King Cake essentially a large yeast-risen cinnamon roll with optional filling? I like the cream cheese filling and a light drizzle of ameretto liqueur before dusting it with sugar.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mushika posted:

Isn't a King Cake essentially a large yeast-risen cinnamon roll with optional filling? I like the cream cheese filling and a light drizzle of ameretto liqueur before dusting it with sugar.

Yup. Sometimes a brioche also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

What y’all been getting fat on for Mardi Gras?

And what do I do with crawfish? It’s crawfish season and the whole suck the heads thing has always grossed me out and I don’t love real spicy stuff anyway. Are crawfish tails pretty much interchangeable with shrimp?